PDA

View Full Version : 2,200 GameFly games stolen by mailman

darth los
19-Oct-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm an avid gamer but is this guy serious? To not only lose a federal job but jail time on top of that!?!

NOICE!! :thumbsup:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/sidebar/909182374/27073386/2200-gamefly-games-stolen-by-mailman.html

:cool:

MikePizzoff
19-Oct-2009, 04:05 PM
Philly, huh? Glad I never signed up for it! Could also explain the complaints I've heard from a couple of people about how they would rarely received the games they ordered.

darth los
19-Oct-2009, 04:25 PM
Philly, huh? Glad I never signed up for it! Could also explain the complaints I've heard from a couple of people about how they would rarely received the games they ordered.

And the things of it is, how do keep explaining to the guys at gamefly that you 're never getting the games you ordered?

And as for the service, this shouldn't speak to it's reliability at all. It's a rouge gov't employees fault, not gamefly.

I don't know what I would do without gamefly to tell you the truth. I play so many games there's no way i could pay for them all. Also, paying 60 bucks for a game that sucks is never a good experience. This way you can send the sucky games back for no charge and you can even keep the ones you like at a much reduced cost.

Even if the game you buy for 60 bucks is awesome, how many of them do you actually go back and play over and over that would warrant what you paid for it? Not more than a handful I'm sure. Atleast that's the way it is for me.

slickwilly13
12-Dec-2009, 03:03 PM
My video store shut down. *Hollywood Video* Since I do not own a credit card, Blockbuster Video is a no. Does anyone have anything positive to mention about Gamefly or any others?

SymphonicX
12-Dec-2009, 04:16 PM
And the things of it is, how do keep explaining to the guys at gamefly that you 're never getting the games you ordered?

And as for the service, this shouldn't speak to it's reliability at all. It's a rouge gov't employees fault, not gamefly.

I don't know what I would do without gamefly to tell you the truth. I play so many games there's no way i could pay for them all. Also, paying 60 bucks for a game that sucks is never a good experience. This way you can send the sucky games back for no charge and you can even keep the ones you like at a much reduced cost.

Even if the game you buy for 60 bucks is awesome, how many of them do you actually go back and play over and over that would warrant what you paid for it? Not more than a handful I'm sure. Atleast that's the way it is for me.

That's a great idea for a service...don't think there's a UK equivilant?

krakenslayer
12-Dec-2009, 06:38 PM
My video store shut down. *Hollywood Video* Since I do not own a credit card, Blockbuster Video is a no. Does anyone have anything positive to mention about Gamefly or any others?

I dunno about over there in the States but I used to work for Blockbuster here in the UK and we used to accept applications from people with just a bank/debit card (I dunno what you guys call them over there - checking card or something?). Basically the reason Blockbuster take the card details is in case you do a runner with some DVDs, they can still charge you for them, like you bought them - they can do that with a debit card just as you can with a credit card.

slickwilly13
12-Dec-2009, 06:52 PM
I dunno about over there in the States but I used to work for Blockbuster here in the UK and we used to accept applications from people with just a bank/debit card (I dunno what you guys call them over there - checking card or something?). Basically the reason Blockbuster take the card details is in case you do a runner with some DVDs, they can still charge you for them, like you bought them - they can do that with a debit card just as you can with a credit card.

This happened 2 years ago when the 3 current gen consoles came out together. I am not sure if their policy changed or maybe the chick at the register did not know what she was talking about at the time. I was told they were doing the credit card policy with the games because they are around $60. Even though Nintendo sells their highest around $50. *excluding bundles* I just chose never to go back, since I will not own a credit card, until I am finished with school. They would not accept my debit card or even consider our past history with them. I have rented games from Hollywood Video over the past couple of years, because I did not have to go through a load of horse shit. They closed their doors about a week ago.

krakenslayer
12-Dec-2009, 07:14 PM
This happened 2 years ago when the 3 current gen consoles came out together. I am not sure if their policy changed or maybe the chick at the register did not know what she was talking about at the time. I was told they were doing the credit card policy with the games because they are around $60. Even though Nintendo sells their highest around $50. *excluding bundles* I just chose never to go back, since I will not own a credit card, until I am finished with school. They would not accept my debit card or even consider our past history with them. I have rented games from Hollywood Video over the past couple of years, because I did not have to go through a load of horse shit. They closed their doors about a week ago.

That makes no sense. The reasoning behind the system is, as I said, that they still have some means to charge you even if you disappear. There is no functional difference between a credit credit and a debit/cashline/checking card other than with a debit card the money comes out of your bank account, and with a credit card the balance is added to a credit account. It makes no odds to the retailer, who gets his money either way. It's stupid.

capncnut
12-Dec-2009, 08:42 PM
Talking of stolen things. I took a shit at McDonald's today and found a brand spanking new copy of the Halo Encyclopedia book. Worth £30. It was probably stolen or left behind by some idiot. CHIEFED! :D

SymphonicX
13-Dec-2009, 09:19 AM
Talking of stolen things. I took a shit at McDonald's today and found a brand spanking new copy of the Halo Encyclopedia book. Worth £30. It was probably stolen or left behind by some idiot. CHIEFED! :D

aww lovely! I once found a used clear blue..!!!

DeadJonas190
14-Dec-2009, 04:59 AM

The policy has changed, they now take debit cards/check cards. I can say that as fact as I am a manager at one of the stores. The no debit/check card policy was in effect in the past due to overdrafting issues, but now they changed the wording on the membership agreement to say that we are not responsible for overdrafts caused by the product not being returned on time. The reason for the policy in the first place is becuase of people starting up accounts and running with the product, it was a huge problem in the PS2 era so things, unfortunately had to be changed to prevent such losses.

As for Gamefly, they have a great selection, but when I used them the turn around time in between games was absolutely horrible (usually around 2 weeks). I heard it has improved, but since I get game rentals for free from work I see no point in signing up again.

krakenslayer
14-Dec-2009, 09:34 PM
The policy has changed, they now take debit cards/check cards. I can say that as fact as I am a manager at one of the stores. The no debit/check card policy was in effect in the past due to overdrafting issues, but now they changed the wording on the membership agreement to say that we are not responsible for overdrafts caused by the product not being returned on time. The reason for the policy in the first place is becuase of people starting up accounts and running with the product, it was a huge problem in the PS2 era so things, unfortunately had to be changed to prevent such losses.

As for Gamefly, they have a great selection, but when I used them the turn around time in between games was absolutely horrible (usually around 2 weeks). I heard it has improved, but since I get game rentals for free from work I see no point in signing up again.

No way! A fellow Blockbusterian! Those were the days, I still remember all those cryptic keyboard commands... shistory, empbal, sempbal, etc. :lol:

Eyebiter
14-Dec-2009, 10:36 PM
Quit going to blockbuster when they changed the return time to Noon the next day. Anything they could do to generate more late fees.

krakenslayer
14-Dec-2009, 10:38 PM
Quit going to blockbuster when they changed the return time to Noon the next day. Anything they could do to generate more late fees.

The don't do that over here. That sucks, man.

bassman
14-Dec-2009, 10:38 PM

Really? I thought they did away with late fees long ago. I rent from them from time to time, never take it back before noon the next day, and never get a late fee....

MikePizzoff
15-Dec-2009, 12:09 AM
Really? I thought they did away with late fees long ago. I rent from them from time to time, never take it back before noon the next day, and never get a late fee....

Yeah, years ago Blockbuster got rid of all their late fees. Eyebiter must have stopped going there long before that.