PDA

View Full Version : here's a victory for state's rights...

Mike70
20-Oct-2009, 02:37 AM
bigtime. the federal govt. has ordered a halt to marijuana prosecutions in the 13 states where marijuana is legal for medical purposes.

Attorney-General Eric Holder said it was wrong for federal resources to be spent on prosecuting people who were in compliance with existing state laws.

amen. just let the states decide these sort of issues. the feds really don't need to be involved.

i mostly posted this for the americans on the board because i know there are a lot of states rights folk on here (like me).

and i swear, i mean swear by hades, that if this turns into some shitty debate on the legality of pot, i'll have this thread closed. fucking period and i am as serious as a rip in a space suit.

to me this is about the individual states, which are sovereign entities, having the ability to decide what is or isn't going to be legal within their borders.

the states effected are: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

ohio doesn't have a med marijuana law but pot in ohio is decriminalized to such an extent that it might as well be legal, meaning if you are caught with under 100 grams of it, it is a simple pay out ticket like speeding. no arrest, no court, no record. actually it's less serious than speeding, a speeding ticket puts points on your DL.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8315603.stm

bassman
20-Oct-2009, 11:12 AM
A step in the right direction if you ask me. Not that I'm a user of medical marijuana, but this is still a good thing for the people it helps.

clanglee
20-Oct-2009, 08:28 PM
You would have made a good Southern boy Mike. :)

darth los
20-Oct-2009, 08:40 PM
amen. just let the states decide these sort of issues. the feds really don't need to be involved.

i mostly posted this for the americans on the board because i know there are a lot of states rights folk on here (like me).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8315603.stm

I believe in states rights as well. What's good and practical for citizens in New York might very well be detrimental to those of montana. Healthcare is another one.

I see all these people on t.v. protesting against it and not for nothing but the people i see on t.v. are nothing like me. Not to bring race into it but I'm a person of color and I don't see one brown face on t.v. talking that mess. They might have legitimate points but they don't speak for me.

So if they get their way, which might totally work out for them me and people like me are screwed. I actually like the idea of leaving healthcare to the states that was recenltly floated. It probably makes the most sense out of all the proposals I've heard.

:cool:

Mike70
20-Oct-2009, 08:44 PM
You would have made a good Southern boy Mike. :)

i am a good southern boy, clang. my family is from TN and KY, even though i live in ohio, i was definitely raised "southern." you should hear me talk, i fit right in down there.

that's why i always say "war between the states" and never "civil war."

clanglee
20-Oct-2009, 09:03 PM
i am a good southern boy, clang. my family is from TN and KY, even though i live in ohio, i was definitely raised "southern." you should hear me talk, i fit right in down there.

that's why i always say "war between the states" and never "civil war."

Actually, if you are truely southern, it was "the War of Northern Aggression" :D

Mike70
20-Oct-2009, 09:05 PM
Actaully, if you are truely southern, it was "the War of Northern Aggression" :D

:lol:

touche, my good man, touche.

SRP76
20-Oct-2009, 09:57 PM
States should get anything they want, so long as they can pay for it and supply it themselves.

Really, how many states could actually make it on their own, without the other 49? Not many. You'd see 90% of the current nation just fold up.

Some have the clout to demand. But weak sisters like Rhode Island should just be happy they're allowed to sit at the cool kids table.

JDFP
21-Oct-2009, 12:22 AM
I could care two flips about pot, never cared for it in the least, and wouldn't change my opinion on it if it were legalized -- but if people want to light up, why not? I don't see a problem with it. There should probably be some type of age restriction on it and you know they'd sin tax the hell out of it, but I don't have an issue with it.

My personal demon of choice is (and has always been) great and cheap American beer. Pabst, Budweiser, and the great ilk. I love beer, and would love it at a higher price if it was made illegal. I would have no intention to ever stop drinking beer since I enjoy it so much even if it was "prohibited" again.

The Prohibition Era was probably the saddest days of being an American. I would have been kicking back with Joe Kennedy and the La Cosa Nostra in those days to do what I had to do to enjoy my beer.

j.p.