PDA

View Full Version : Rare pictures of North Korean arcade

Danny
23-Oct-2009, 08:36 AM
http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2008/09/inside-north-korean-arcade.html

good lord thats archaic, i know there a dying place to hang out worldwide but this makes the times i go to the arcades at skeggy to play those flashing, obnoxious monsters seem like the future.

which i guess to these people, it is.

krakenslayer
23-Oct-2009, 11:14 AM
The third one down, with the bright screen and the cactuses (cacti?), is that a colour version of the cowboy game Peter and Steven played in the Mall arcade in Dawn?

MikePizzoff
23-Oct-2009, 11:35 AM
The third one down, with the bright screen and the cactuses (cacti?), is that a colour version of the cowboy game Peter and Steven played in the Mall arcade in Dawn?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Man, that's crazy. Do you think these people could be oblivious to the video game tech that's out now? It wouldn't surprise me, considering their gov't likes to keep them in the dark about pretty much anything.

capncnut
23-Oct-2009, 11:50 AM
High Noon.

krakenslayer
23-Oct-2009, 12:27 PM
High Noon.

Did a bit of research. The game in the Koran arcade DOES look like High Noon, but High Noon, as far as I can tell, was only a Commodore 64 title. Actually Gun Fight was the game in Dawn - clicky (http://espanol.video.yahoo.com/watch/4554585/12196646) - but the Koran game isn't that either (because it's in colour). So I dunno what game that is. Maybe something "approved" rustled up by the North Korean government?

capncnut
23-Oct-2009, 12:52 PM
Did a bit of research. The game in the Koran arcade DOES look like High Noon, but High Noon, as far as I can tell, was only a Commodore 64 title. Actually Gun Fight was the game in Dawn - clicky (http://espanol.video.yahoo.com/watch/4554585/12196646) - but the Koran game isn't that either (because it's in colour). So I dunno what game that is. Maybe something "approved" rustled up by the North Korean government?
Yeah, High Noon was the C64 and Speccy conversion of Gun Fight. Gun Fight was black background and white sprites (sometimes green or yellow), High Noon was yellow background and black sprites (later in full colour). Both are identical in gameplay, even down to 'draw' and 'got me'.

Mike70
23-Oct-2009, 01:04 PM
jesus, how sad. not only do these people live in a country without many of the basic freedoms we take for granted but, to add insult to injury, are forced to play games from 1980.

there needs to be a nintendo & sega airlift. we can at least upgrade them to 1989. i mean fuck, they are missing out on all the mario brothers games and that just ain't civilized. failing that, the least we could do for these people is try to get a donkey kong machine in every village.

krakenslayer
23-Oct-2009, 01:04 PM
Ahh, so they just a slapped a movie license on it for the home computer release. I take it they dropped the Starship Enterprise from the Commodore/Speccy version? :D

capncnut
23-Oct-2009, 01:08 PM
I posted a playable version of the game a couple of years ago but I've just rechecked the link and the site isn't there anymore.

AcesandEights
23-Oct-2009, 02:01 PM
Take a good long look, my friends, and then promise me you'll link to this post or the article the next time Ned goes on about his Communist utopia :D

Mike70
23-Oct-2009, 02:05 PM
Take a good long look, my friends, and then promise me you'll link to this post or the article the next time Ned goes on about his Communist utopia :D

:lol:

yeah, one would think that a communist utopia could at least afford some decent galaga machines.

BillyRay
23-Oct-2009, 02:32 PM
7th pic down.

I used to play that submarine game on the Lake Michigan ferry as a kid (late '70's).

I have a feeling that's the actual machine...:stunned:

Skippy911sc
23-Oct-2009, 02:48 PM
I have always held the belief that a game does not always have to look awesome in order to be awesome. Some of my favorite and re-playable games have some of the lamest graphics. I am not saying that the state of their arcade is pathetic...I think we can all agree to that, but I played the new resident evil on 360 and thought it looked great but was very lame! (controls sucked)

AcesandEights
23-Oct-2009, 03:13 PM
All I'm saying is, to hell with long range missile technology, the Axis of Evil had best invest in upping their pixel count.

I don't know how I can fear any country who cannot park a Ken or Ryu in their local arcades!

darth los
23-Oct-2009, 04:46 PM
jesus, how sad. not only do these people live in a country without many of the basic freedoms we take for granted but, to add insult to injury, are forced to play games from 1980.

there needs to be a nintendo & sega airlift. we can at least upgrade them to 1989. i mean fuck, they are missing out on all the mario brothers games and that just ain't civilized. failing that, the least we could do for these people is try to get a donkey kong machine in every village.

:lol::lol::lol:

But to them this is state of the art. When you don't know what else is out there you can only compare it to what you have. Just like us when those games came out. They don't have x box 360 graphics to compare it to.

What this really makes me wonder is what other archaic things are they using.

WW2 radios? Those bis clunky cabinet t.v.'s with like the 13 inch screen?

:cool:

SymphonicX
27-Oct-2009, 05:28 PM
Hmm...communism could work, if people could actually trade and live freely...oh...wait a sec....