PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead Blu Ray

bassman
23-Oct-2009, 12:45 PM
So I found the original Dawn of the Dead on BR for only 10 bucks at Best Buy. I had been holding off on getting Dawn and Day on the format because I had rented Day and couldn't really tell if it was any better than the standard DVD upscaled through a BR player.

When I get home and check out Dawn, I notice there's something different about the image. First of all....I'm still not convinced that the BR is any better than the DVD upscaled, but that's neither here nor there.

My concern is this - When I view my UE Standard DVD version of Dawn there are really tiny black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. I don't have the film in front of me at the moment, but I would say they can't be any larger than half an inch. But when I put in the BR I noticed that the bars are not there.

Does this mean that the BR is cropped? Or perhaps it's wrong on the standard DVD? I'm not good with most technology jargon, so could someone help me out here? Is there an obvious difference?

Either way....you can't beat Dawn for 10 bucks, so check your Best Buy if you don't already have it.

Neil
23-Oct-2009, 02:19 PM
When I view my UE Standard DVD version of Dawn there are really tiny black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. I don't have the film in front of me at the moment, but I would say they can't be any larger than half an inch. But when I put in the BR I noticed that the bars are not there.

Wasn't Dawn (just like Day) shot in 4:3?

darth los
23-Oct-2009, 03:18 PM
They also have day of the dead as well as the dawn remake for the same price guys. I've already ordred them !! lol

Hey, 3 of my favorite movies for that price is an offer too good to pass up. I own them on standard dvd so there's no way i would have paid full price. I'll let you guys know if i see any difference.

:cool:

SymphonicX
27-Oct-2009, 08:06 AM
Wasn't Dawn (just like Day) shot in 4:3?

nooo.... :)

Neil
27-Oct-2009, 08:58 AM
nooo.... :)

What do you think it was shot in then?

axlish
27-Oct-2009, 11:19 AM
Yes, it was shot in 4x3. I've seen Dawn released in 4:3, 1.85:1. 1.78:1 & 1.66:1. Each time we have gotten a non 4:3 release, we've been told it was the director's original intended aspect ratio, even though it tends to change each time.

deadkrank
27-Oct-2009, 12:25 PM
I have Dawn of The Dead on Blu-Ray. Think it looks pretty good in HD. Grant it thoe I dont have a full 1080p HD TV set. I just have a 720p Plasma.So I cant comment on how good Dawn of The Dead looks in full HD.

Neil
27-Oct-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes, it was shot in 4x3. I've seen Dawn released in 4:3, 1.85:1. 1.78:1 & 1.66:1. Each time we have gotten a non 4:3 release, we've been told it was the director's original intended aspect ratio, even though it tends to change each time.

If I recall Night, Dawn, Day and Night 90 were all shot in 4:3...

SymphonicX
27-Oct-2009, 05:56 PM
Dawn is shot in 1.85 1 aspect ratio, 4x3 is 1.33:1

Dunno bout the others...this is what all my doovde copies say anyway :)

4x3 is SD TV resolution of something like 720x576 (16x9 is 1024x576 - I think...I always get these things confused)

Anyway if dawn was shot 4x3 then every widescreen picture would either be stretched so everyone looks fat or would have black bars down the sides of the screen - when viewed on a 16x9 telly :)