PDA

View Full Version : a WWII vet on gay marriage...

Mike70
25-Oct-2009, 01:51 AM
this a video of an 86 year old veteran of the normandy invasion speaking at a public meeting on maine's proposed "marriage equality act."

his response to whether he believes that gay and lesbian people should be allowed to marry: "what do you think i fought on omaha beach for?" what he says about personal freedom and individual rights is well, something that maybe only a veteran who has actually laid it all on the line could say with the force and emotion that he does.

he's very old and sometimes he mumbles but what he says is very moving.
GrEbJBFWIPk

octo7
25-Oct-2009, 10:36 AM
:'( what a great human being.

Danny
25-Oct-2009, 11:05 AM
thats inspirational, its truly a shame that the comments are pig headed bible thumpers and hate filled atheists bitching about each other. an old man sills his heart out about equality for people and surprise, surprise, the youtubers rape the comments box.

That whys i hate that fucking site, it gives everyone a voice, and most of the time its the text equivalent of a violent morning after a phal curry dump.

octo7
25-Oct-2009, 11:18 AM
Yeah youtube is pretty much the planet earth in binary and the planet earth is an annoying place.

Tricky
25-Oct-2009, 11:25 AM
What a man! And I think his life experiences give him every right to say what he said there, I cant even imagine the things he saw during the war but he's seen the full impact of what racism,homophobia & general ignorance can cause. They truly are a different generation of people & its such a shame everything they went through & fought for is already being forgotten 3 generations later.
Youtube is full of nutters though! Its no suprise that a hell of a lot of the videos have the comments box disabled now. Theres some nasty ignorant comments under that video, but I think some of the worst ive seen on YT are on the news videos about British or American casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan, some of them would boil your piss

Danny
25-Oct-2009, 11:38 AM
What a man! And I think his life experiences give him every right to say what he said there, I cant even imagine the things he saw during the war but he's seen the full impact of what racism,homophobia & general ignorance can cause. They truly are a different generation of people & its such a shame everything they went through & fought for is already being forgotten 3 generations later.
Youtube is full of nutters though! Its no suprise that a hell of a lot of the videos have the comments box disabled now. Theres some nasty ignorant comments under that video, but I think some of the worst ive seen on YT are on the news videos about British or American casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan, some of them would boil your piss

s'why i stick with vimeo nowadays dude, sure there elitist but you never see this kind of shit responses like "then this guy must be a faggot"

mista_mo
25-Oct-2009, 01:54 PM
I almost cried during that video- it is really that powerful. Maybe it is more so because an 86 year old man, a person that seems so weak and feeble, is speaking strong on something that he believes in with his entire heart, soul and mind. Something about an old man that is speaking out for the rights of people he fought to protect all those ages ago, on a subject that really shouldn't be this damn controversial, is touching to say the least. If only everyone could see it as he does, than this world would be a much better place.

It almost seems as if we are not learning from the past, and spiralling down a steep slope of hate, bigotry and intolerance. As far as I am concerned,that is a terrible, terrible injustice for those that helped to protect our way of life, and protect the freedom that we all, quite frankly, take for granted.

My hats off to you War vets; your generation has yet to be surpassed.