PDA

View Full Version : I am new and just wanted to say "Hi"

LadyOfDarkness
26-Oct-2009, 09:28 PM
I am new to this site and just wanted to say "Hi". :)

I wasn't sure where to post this so I went to the general discussion area. I came accross this site last night when I was looking to see if George Romero had a new "Dead" movie coming out soon and found this cool website and decided to join so here I am.

It's good to find so many other "Zombie Fans" out there. I am a girl and wonder how many girls or woman are as into the whole Zombie/Horror movie and video game thing like I am. I think it's pretty rare but maybe not.
Anyway, I am also looking for some friends that like Zombie video games.
I have all the Resident Evil games but ofcourse I love to play RE5 (I have a PS3) and on there my PSN name is LadyofDarkness if you would like to add me.
And I have Xbox live and Left4Dead which I'm not great at but I'm practicing, lol. My name on there is LadyOfDarkness7 if anyone wants to play that with me. Just put a message that you saw me on here so I know who you are.

Anyway, it's great to join this site and I hope to make lots of friends here with the same interests in Zombies as me. :) Especially with Halloween coming I am watching lots of Horror movies on tv. I have loved them since I was kid and never got scared or nightmares, hehe. From the first "Night of the Living Dead" movie but really the first one I saw was "Dawn of the Dead" and that's when I first became a fan of George Romero and fell in love with Zombies. :D

Tom Savini did the special effects in that movie and also played the lead biker guy. What' neat is that my boyfriend at the time ended up going to Art School and Tom Savini was his teacher in special make-up effects and he helped him with the effects in the movie Creep Show. Kind of cool looking back now.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join. I hope to get to know you all soon! :D

LadyOfDarkness :evil:

Chic Freak
26-Oct-2009, 10:14 PM
What' neat is that my boyfriend at the time ended up going to Art School and Tom Savini was his teacher in special make-up effects and he helped him with the effects in the movie Creep Show. Kind of cool looking back now.

That's really cool, what a lucky chap!!

& welcome to HP Lady :)

LadyOfDarkness
27-Oct-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the welcome Chic Freak.

I appreciate it. It's hard when you first join a new site. I'm actually kinda shy at first, lol. It's hard to write the first post and then wait for responses. To see if you'll be accepted or not. I noticed that 44 people have viewed this post but so far you are the only person who replied. Is that typical on this site?

I hope more people reply. Or is this just a site with very few members? Just wondering. I belong to a group called the G.A.P. (Gamers Advisory Panel) - it's owned by Sony Playstation Underground and only select members are chosen to join that group. When I first joined it I kind lurked around the site and didn't reply for about 6 months. I just read posts and blogs and stuff. They didn't have many female members either. When I did finally post my first blog I received 67 replies to it. I'm not expecting that many responses here, just a few more then one. After all, I read that women are scarce on this site so I figured I would definately get a welcome from the men as well as the women.

Anyway, I"m glad you wrote me a reply.
So what do people do here on this site, talk about Zombie movies or also books, and video games too? I like anything Zombie really but mostly movies and video games. I don't read much unless it's my Playstation magazine, lol.

Tell me abit more about yourself if you will Chic. :) After all, us women have to stick together. :P

LadyOfDarkness

capncnut
27-Oct-2009, 10:29 PM
Well let me be the second to welcome you to the boards, LadyOfDarkness. Pleased to meet you.

krakenslayer
27-Oct-2009, 10:29 PM

I appreciate it. It's hard when you first join a new site. I'm actually kinda shy at first, lol. It's hard to write the first post and then wait for responses. To see if you'll be accepted or not.

NOOOOooooooo!! You are not welcome here! Back out onto the moors with you! Begone! :blood:

KIDDING! :D

Welcome aboard Lady of Darkness! That's an awesomely cool story about your boyfriend working on Creepshow. That movie is one of Romero's best, imo. It holds a really special place in my heart.

clanglee
27-Oct-2009, 11:17 PM
Welcome welcome!! Always nice to have some new blood in here from time to time. :D

MoonSylver
28-Oct-2009, 01:11 AM

I appreciate it. It's hard when you first join a new site. I'm actually kinda shy at first, lol. It's hard to write the first post and then wait for responses. To see if you'll be accepted or not. I noticed that 44 people have viewed this post but so far you are the only person who replied. Is that typical on this site?

I hope more people reply. Or is this just a site with very few members?

Welcome aboard. :)Lots of members, but a fairly small hardcore group of dedicated posters. Plus if any of the others are like me, I sometimes pop in & view posts & don't get around to replying until later in some cases.

Plus we're all like little boys on the playground who are a' skeert to talk to girls.:eek:

(j/k says the married father of 2 girls himself...);)

clanglee
28-Oct-2009, 01:14 AM
(j/k says the married father of 2 girls himself...);)

That makes me even more askeert to talk to girls!! She might know. . . . .:shifty:

kortick
28-Oct-2009, 03:22 AM
hi

i can without a doubt tell u people
here are not shy.

most hellos are read and mentally acknowledged
but not usually responded to unless a specific question
is asked.
it is not an ignore of u.

just jump in on any thread and add ur opinion
about whats being discussed or start a thread
of your own.

acealive1
28-Oct-2009, 04:43 AM
cheers to you joining! hows utah? got family in orem myself

MoonSylver
28-Oct-2009, 05:04 AM
That makes me even more askeert to talk to girls!! She might know. . . . .:shifty:

You secret is safe with me, I'll never tell.

I burned the clown suit, buried the midget in the desert, & sheep can't be called as material witnesses, so you're scott free! :lol:

clanglee
28-Oct-2009, 05:49 AM
You secret is safe with me, I'll never tell.

I burned the clown suit, buried the midget in the desert, & sheep can't be called as material witnesses, so you're scott free! :lol:

Whew!!! Thanks man. . . dodged a bullet there. . . :D

MikePizzoff
28-Oct-2009, 10:24 AM
Welcome! How ironic of you to show up now, considering there is a very recent thread here asking the question as the why there aren't more women on this site.

I hope you become a regular here and not one of the people that's around for a couple of weeks then forgets about us.

AcesandEights
28-Oct-2009, 02:27 PM
Welcome, welcome!

I'm going to backspace over part of my initial joking, yet well-meaning welcome, err on the side of gentlemanly conduct and bid you well met and good day, dear lady.

MoonSylver
28-Oct-2009, 03:21 PM
Welcome, welcome!

I'm going to backspace over part of my initial joking, yet well-meaning welcome, err on the side of gentlemanly conduct and bid you well met and good day, dear lady.

Good idea. Save all the inappropriate humor for later.:lol::p

Andy
28-Oct-2009, 03:23 PM

Welcome to the site LadyOfDarkness, i just wanted to point out that the "View Count" in the forums is literal views and includes non-registered guests and bots from search engines, so i wouldnt take it personally that it seems alot of people have viewed and not replied, we are a friendly enough bunch.

:)

darth los
28-Oct-2009, 05:17 PM
Welcome LOD. ( HEy that's stands for Legion of Doom as well, :lol:)

It's funny that you should join at this time because if you use our search feature you'll notice that we just had a thread addressing why there weren't more women here. And here you come along.

Well, i hope you like it here enough to stay. Lord knows we could use another consistent female presence around here.

See ya around. :)

:cool:

LadyOfDarkness
28-Oct-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome! :)

Wow - now I REALLY feel like I belong here!!! *blushes* (is speechless)

After reading all your replies you guys (and gals) made me feel special since I now understand about the "count" and that you guys don't always reply to every post and how things work on this site so well, what can I say but thanks for all your heartfelt welcomes - I think I definately WILL stay - how can I NOT - after all that? hehe :p

And to Darth and MikePizzoff - both of you mentioned the thread where JP was asking why there aren't more women on this site. Well, I already spotted it and posted on it (ROFL - check it out) the very first day I got here! :lol:

MoonSylver and clanglee - you guys are funny! You cracked me up with the whole midget and the sheep thing!!!! LOL

Krakenslayer - I liked your humor as well. (Feel free to kid around with me - I am a lady who enjoys humor!) :p

acealive1 - Utah is doing well. I just moved here about 4 yrs ago and it's getting COLD - 30's - burr! But I'm originally from New Jersey and also lived in Florida before here so talk about temperature change!! LMAO! :stunned:

capncnut, AcesandEights, Andy and darth - you all seem like perfect "Gentlemen". :)

But do, in the next post - feel free to joke around with me. I love a good joke or kidding around you'll find. And I tend to give it back as good as I get. :p hehehehehhehehheehehe

OH and last but not least - kortick - I don't know "what" to say about you. It's not what you said - it's your avatar and ....ummm...you said to "ask questions, etc....." so here goes....I was just wondering....I see you have a video (movie clip) as your sig. WHAT movie is that - where they are shooting CHILDREN (not Zombie children) but just innocent children in cold blood? Because watching that grossed me out more then ANY blood and gore movie and I watched "Wrong Turn 2" last night and I thought THAT was the goriest (blood and guts) hard to watch movie I ever saw! Seriously though - the ONE thing they don't show you in movies is kids being hurt or killed (at least in American anyway - unless they're zombies).

Well, this post was good - see? That wasn't hard. At least we got to know eachother better - right? :p

Till next time,
LadyOfDarkness
LoD

Mike70
28-Oct-2009, 07:44 PM
capncnut, AcesandEights, Andy and darth - you all seem like perfect "Gentlemen". :)

sorry, but i've know this tetralogy of evil for a long time and i need a minute to :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: inhale, mike, inhale :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

there, i'm better now.

MoonSylver
28-Oct-2009, 10:48 PM
sorry, but i've know this tetralogy of evil for a long time and i need a minute to :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: inhale, mike, inhale :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

there, i'm better now.

Wait for it...just wait...:evil:

MoonSylver and clanglee - you guys are funny! You cracked me up with the whole midget and the sheep thing!!!! LOL

My clone & I say: thank you very much you've been a wonderful audience, don't forget to tip your waitresses & try the fish it's great! We'll be here all week! Goodnight!:lol:

clanglee
29-Oct-2009, 05:28 AM
It's not what you said - it's your avatar and ....ummm...you said to "ask questions, etc....." so here goes....I was just wondering....I see you have a video (movie clip) as your sig. WHAT movie is that - where they are shooting CHILDREN (not Zombie children) but just innocent children in cold blood?

If I may Kortik. . . . .That my dear is a hilarious splicing of a Steven Segal movie and Uwe Boll's least dreadful movie Postal. . I believe. And it is just funny as hell. Not because kids are getting shot, but because Segal is doing the shooting. :lol::lol::lol: Good one by the way K, where you you find these things?

DjfunkmasterG
29-Oct-2009, 12:22 PM
*BACK OFF FELLAS! Let her have some breathing room*

Welcome...

Don't worry the guys will settle down once you have been around a while, its just the awe and shock of another female on the boards.

Welcome and enjoy yourself. HPotD is a fine place to hang. :D

Philly_SWAT
29-Oct-2009, 11:45 PM
Well, I guess I dont really have anything constructive to say, but I didnt want to be left out of the "Welcome to LadyOfDarkness Thread". So, welcome@!;)

JDFP
30-Oct-2009, 01:10 AM
If I may Kortik. . . . .That my dear is a hilarious splicing of a Steven Segal movie and Uwe Boll's least dreadful movie Postal. . I believe. And it is just funny as hell. Not because kids are getting shot, but because Segal is doing the shooting. :lol::lol::lol: Good one by the way K, where you you find these things?

Calling a flick "Uwe Boll's least dreadful movie" is like saying: "Hey, the last 'bout of hemorrhoids wasn't as severe as previously! And the cream worked faster! Alright!"

Lady, I said it in my previous thread, but I'll say it again, we're happy to have you here. Don't do what I did for about 9 years and lurk either, feel free to jump into this madness head first and have a blast discussing the bloody disgusting, yet uniquely refined, stuff that we enjoy here. We're happy to have you, finding an awesome gal who is now part of our group is a bit like being that guy at the company party who realizes at four in the morning that everyone else has left him, but he still has a drink left in his hands. You may still be the same old chum you were previously, but having a drink (or an awesome gal) in our midst makes everything a little brighter.

http://letustalk.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/office-party.jpg

j.p.

jded
30-Oct-2009, 02:58 AM
Hello LOD,
Welcome! Your just in time too. This new blood red look to the site is awesome isn't it? I love Halloween. :skull: :skull: :skull:

LadyOfDarkness
30-Oct-2009, 10:55 PM
You really do know how to make a gal feel welcome and I really do appreciate it and feel "at home" here. (by most of you anyway)

I did however have my first "run in" with someone named ProfessorChaos. I was replying to JD's comment and Moons and a few others in JD's thread "Why aren't more women on here"? which I have been writing in lately and he came on and wrote something quite RUDE. I spent a long time writing a well thought-out long comment to you guys (thanking JD, etc) and after he wrote that (read it please) - he scared me off. He more or less told me to "Get lost" so I deleted my comment and wrote "Okay you win - I'm gone" :(

I can't take it when men are rude to me. Anyway, I had this problem on the GAP where I used to feel I belonged. They ran me off (a handful of mean people did) and I would hate to see that happen here because I was really starting to like it here and feel like I belonged.

Is is okay if I post whatever I want in my own Blog (this one - my "Hi I'm new here" blog?) since he's tired of hearing me post in JD's blog about women?

Just so I understand the rules here.

Thanks,
LadyOfDarkness:confused:

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

And yes I do LOVE the red in here esp with the spider webs and all.....very creepy and Halloweenish. :p

LoD

krakenslayer
30-Oct-2009, 11:09 PM
Don't let one unkind post freak you out or upset you. Web forums are populated by real people and on here, just like everywhere else, sometimes people get grouchy and rude because... well... life does that to everyone sometimes (be they man, woman or child). Don't let it get you down - we are a kind bunch on here compared to most forums, even Professor Chaos is nice on a good day :D If someone is mean, just tell 'em to piss off or, if they are being really abusive, click the "report post" button (bottom left of every post) the mods might even do it for you. ;)

As for, posting everything in here - these are not technically blogs, all the conversations on here are in discussion threads. Generally you can post what you want, but if things get too far off topic from the original discussion, the mods will either move the off-topic posts into a new thread or ask you to create a new discussion for the new topic. So basically, they'd be happier if you saved them the trouble and started a new thread each time you had something unrelated to talk about. Obviously it's good practice to check that there isn't already a thread on that topic before you do so. ;)

Anyway - don't get worked up - the way I look at it, we wouldn't appreciate friendly discussion if we didn't occasionally have an unpleasant one. :p

Andy
30-Oct-2009, 11:11 PM
You really do know how to make a gal feel welcome and I really do appreciate it and feel "at home" here. (by most of you anyway)

I did however have my first "run in" with someone named ProfessorChaos. I was replying to JD's comment and Moons and a few others in JD's thread "Why aren't more women on here"? which I have been writing in lately and he came on and wrote something quite RUDE. I spent a long time writing a well thought-out long comment to you guys (thanking JD, etc) and after he wrote that (read it please) - he scared me off. He more or less told me to "Get lost" so I deleted my comment and wrote "Okay you win - I'm gone" :(

I can't take it when men are rude to me. Anyway, I had this problem on the GAP where I used to feel I belonged. They ran me off (a handful of mean people did) and I would hate to see that happen here because I was really starting to like it here and feel like I belonged.

Is is okay if I post whatever I want in my own Blog (this one - my "Hi I'm new here" blog?) since he's tired of hearing me post in JD's blog about women?

Just so I understand the rules here.

Thanks,
LadyOfDarkness:confused:

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

And yes I do LOVE the red in here esp with the spider webs and all.....very creepy and Halloweenish. :p

LoD

Unfortunatly it is common on the internet to have run-in's with other people, more so than it is in real life as people have a screen and keyboard to hide behind. Professor Chaos's comment was harsh and i can see why it would upset you, but i think a couple of members are upset that you only seemed to be posting in your own topic and 1 other, they want you to participate in the community more as you appear to be a friendly person. i think thats what prof meant rather than simply "leave".

You are going to have run-in's like this on the internet, on every forum and chatroom, experiencing it and dealing with it is part of being in a community but having said that, we do have moderators here to keep the peace, their names around the forums are in bold and if your really upset by a post or comment, feel like your being harrassed or even bullied, then feel free to contact any moderator or myself and we will look at it for you, we're here to look after you.

Thanks for your comments about my halloween style, hope the scream didnt give you too much of a fright ;)

LadyOfDarkness
30-Oct-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks guys.

Sometimes it's hard being a girl/woman.

Maybe that's WHY there aren't that many women on here.

LoD

PS - And now you know my "secret" (behind the mask). My name is really my "Alter-Ego". My true personality is actually a very sensitive, caring woman with a *cough cough* "Heart"........

Andy
30-Oct-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys.

LoD

PS - And now you know my "secret" (behind the mask). My name is really my "Alter-Ego". My true personality is actually a very sensitive, caring woman with a *cough cough* "Heart"........
Like i said, it is something your going to come up against on any forum or chat room on the internet, not just here. Come to think of it, even playing games on Xbox live or PSN, especially if you beat someone, your likely to get slagged off.

Its how well you deal with it and move on that will establish you as a member, not just here, anywhere.

LadyOfDarkness
31-Oct-2009, 12:07 AM
I do like your Halloween theme on here Andy btw.

And I also know what you're saying. Not everyone is going to be nice to me. But there ARE some "nice guys" out there though. Thank God.

I already have one gaming buddy I met on here - darth los and we played Left4Dead last night and had a blast! I'm kinda new to that game and he's very patient and nice and taught me alot and we had alot of fun playing it together. :D

So there are some nice people on here - look at how many nice replies and comments I did get. So I'm gonna think positive (one negative comment isn't gonna ruin all the positve replies I got).

Oh, and I'm sorry about not posting to alot of different threads but I am new to this forum thing. darth los just told me last night that there is a Gaming thread so today I posted there. You guys are gonna have to have some patience with me. I think for only being here a few days that have posted 10 or 11 times is pretty good - don't ya think? I didn't know you have all these different topics you could post to - the GAP only had ONE - just "General" so that is what I am used to.

I'll get used to it in time. If I get over my fear of saying something that may piss someone off now that I am finally opening up here......lol :o

LadyOfDarkness

Andy
31-Oct-2009, 12:33 AM
Well take a minute to look at the main page, which lists all our forums. We do have quite a wide range of forums covering a number of topics, obviously our main topic being romero movies, fiction, trading and conventions.

But also we have forums for general media culture, like news and other movies, TV, Music and videos.. we also have a gaming and tech forum aswell as our 2 main off-topic forums, general discussion and the lounge, the latter of which allows posts of almost any topic.

At the bottom of the page, staff forums where occassionally neil will post news and announcements which you can reply to and comment on, and my "Ask Staff" forum where you can post any questions you have about the forum software, the community or running of the forum or any other relevant topic.

Hope that helps, and you will find that on the whole we are a friendly and patient group.

Chic Freak
04-Nov-2009, 08:26 PM
Tell me abit more about yourself if you will Chic. :) After all, us women have to stick together. :P

Well, I'm self-employed and usually only work 3-4 days a week, plus I spend a lot of time seeking out contractors online, hence I have time to post on here quite a bit ;) My bf _liam_ introduced me to zombies and this forum.

I can't take it when men are rude to me.

This isn't about people on here specifically, but in general life: give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile. If anyone is rude to you, you need to point it out and not accept it (I realise this is easier said than done sometimes).

I'd have thought it might be better to write a blog somewhere else (blogspot/ LJ etc) and just stick a link to it in your sig rather than treat a thread like a blog?

I haven't found that I've been treated any worse for being female... if anything I sometimes get the impression people are more polite to me than they might be if they thought I was a fellow male! :lol:

mista_mo
04-Nov-2009, 08:47 PM
I haven't found that I've been treated any worse for being female... if anything I sometimes get the impression people are more polite to me than they might be if they thought I was a fellow male! :lol:

That is a lie and you know it! Just to prove it to you I'm going to insult you...you are a fart-h-h0h...heeeeeeeeeeeee....heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....nice lady.

WTF? Guess I can't do it.

MoonSylver
04-Nov-2009, 10:29 PM
That is a lie and you know it! Just to prove it to you I'm going to insult you...you are a fart-h-h0h...heeeeeeeeeeeee....heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....nice lady.

WTF? Guess I can't do it.

That's because we can always count on you Mo to class up the joint.;):p:D

LadyOfDarkness
10-Nov-2009, 08:45 PM
Well I think I'm finally figuring this place out, lol. :p

Like I said before, I am new to forums. And now I know that there are different catagories for different topics. And that they are called "Threads" - not "Blogs".

The site I used to be on "The GAP" - they were called "Blogs" when someone started what you guys here would call a "Thread". They would post a title and them people would come in them and put in replies or "comments" much like in here. So that is where I got confused. It works the same - here it's just different names for things. :)

There they had only one catagory too - "General topic" - oh and "Story" also if someone wanted to write a Story.

I'm glad that Andy made a new thread for "Horror" so we can list other movies besides just "Dead" movies. I think I'm going to do that just now.

Oh and as far as dealing with "not so nice" people on here - I realize you are going to have that in every forum just like alot of you have said. I had that in the GAP as well. You just have to ignore them..................or kill them with kindness. hehe :mad:

LoD

Debbieangel
11-Nov-2009, 01:48 AM
Sorry I am late in welcoming you to HP Lady of Darkness.
WELCOME
This is a really nice place to discuss anything and everything, especially zombies! There is a bunch a cool people here.
I see the boys are on their best behavior. I am so proud! hehe..j/k guys
Get used to the jokes Lady they dont mean any harm. The boys bark but they don't bite. lol
I will get u started by asking the obvious..which zombie is your fav? mine is Night of the Living Dead.

LadyOfDarkness
14-Nov-2009, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome Debbieangel. :)

Yes, most of the people here are very nice. And I do enjoy a good joke or two. And I can give as good as I get. Moon and clang crack me up and keep things interesting. I like that. Everyone here has been keeping me entertained and I feel like I belong already. :P

Okay, my favorite "Dead" movie? It has to be the original "Dawn of the Dead" 1978 because it was the first Dead movie I saw plus I saw it on the big screen which back in those days was very shocking! I'll never forget seeing that one black guy in that apt building in the very beginning of the movie getting his head blown off - I couldn't believe it! :stunned: It was the goriest, bloodiest, scariest and yet funniest horror movie I ever saw - and my FIRST zombie movie! :D After that - I was HOOKED!!! :p

Then I heard there was an older (first one made by the same guy - Romero) in black and white and ofcourse had to see that one so I rented it and then eventually had the buy them both and was a "Zombie-a-holic" ever since! :dead:

Now I have all of the "Dead" series and then became a "Zombie video game" lover too. :p

I guess now you know alittle bit more about me. I hope to get to know a little bit more about you (and everyone else here) as time goes on. I'm enjoying making friends with all you nice "Zombians" :elol:

LoD