PDA

View Full Version : the ares x-1 test is a success...

Mike70
28-Oct-2009, 03:57 PM
the rocket successfully lifted off about 20 mins ago. hopefully, this will help silence the naysayers and put us back on the moon.

sorry there isn't any sound on this vid.

kyQVBlHgGcg

this one does have sound but is shorter.

bMvFGupDPUU

Tricky
28-Oct-2009, 06:12 PM
Hmm im still of the opinion that the money spent doing this kind of stuff could be better spent putting our house in order back on planet earth, its impressive nonetheless, but a huge waste of money & resources

Mike70
28-Oct-2009, 06:17 PM
Hmm im still of the opinion that the money spent doing this kind of stuff could be better spent putting our house in order back on planet earth, its impressive nonetheless, but a huge waste of money & resources

exploration is never a waste of resources. if we waited until our house was "in order", nothing would ever be accomplished and we'd all still be knapping flint tools.

Tricky
28-Oct-2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah but the moon? they may find some minerals or something for geeky scientists to crack one out over, but its never going to wield oil, fertile land or the cure to the earths problems. Il get excited (or I would if it was ever likely to happen in my lifetime) when they manage to find a way of doing it without using rocket engines & when they can actually get outside our solar system without the people on the ship growing old in transit. Lets face it planet earth is by far the most interesting planet in our immediate solar system, even if it does seem pretty dull because we live here..

BillyRay
28-Oct-2009, 06:51 PM
<content removed by moderator at the request of the thread starter>

bassman
28-Oct-2009, 08:13 PM
Awesome videos.:D

Is the ship occupied? I haven't really heard anything about it....

Mike70
28-Oct-2009, 08:29 PM
Awesome videos.:D

Is the ship occupied? I haven't really heard anything about it....

no, this was just a test of the rocket. the first manned flight is like 5 years off.

EvilNed
28-Oct-2009, 09:04 PM
I have to agree with Tricky on this one. Exploration is all well and nice... And I'm not against space exploration. But space exploration costs way, way more than it's worth. Waaaaay more.