PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead: Fear the Hunters (Spoilers!)

Danny
28-Oct-2009, 07:23 PM
Man!, ive just reread this arc and remembered why i love this series. Now after the incredibly tedious to get through second half of the prison arc which seemed a bit too land inspired for the story im really glad to see this is getting back to its roots. This recent part of ricks story has gotten back to what made the first trade "days gone bye" one of the most riveting reads when theres really very little progression in the grand scheme of things. It was just fantastic human drama in a zombie setting and this recent arc has taken that and ran with it.
I'm sad to see so many characters die off but i think the groups were getting to large so kirkman had to get some fresh meat in there story wise. The new guys are alright but dale is gonna need a big void to fill considering how much he's been the wise old sage to give rick advice or chastising when it was needed.
The enemies were horrifying, much creepier than the zombies. For one thing they see the zombie apocalypse occur not even a full two years ago, a few months in instead of raiding stores like rick's company has just go "fuck it, lets eat the kids, its what a lion would do". i mean ive not always liked rick and his choices but damn thats bleak and stupid. The main guy seemed a bit 'blah' but the whole calm laying down the law with dale about how there going to eat them, nothing personal, because "a mans gotta eat" is not a new thing in horror, but the delivery via the writing and paneling was brilliant.
Like i said, twd has been a bit crappy in 2008 and the first half of '09, its very nice to see its picking up again.

Cant wait to see what happens when they make it to washington.

Mike70
28-Oct-2009, 07:30 PM
i've only read the first 48 issues of "walking dead." sounds like i've got a lot of catching up to do.

Danny
28-Oct-2009, 07:37 PM
i've only read the first 48 issues of "walking dead." sounds like i've got a lot of catching up to do.

48's around where i got sick of it for a while, if you dont dig it push through, it gets better i guarantee it.

Theres a bit with rick and a phone i wont spoil but its a superb bit of writing thats gonna be great in the tv series when it rolls around.

Mr.G
28-Oct-2009, 07:39 PM
48's around where i got sick of it for a while, if you dont dig it push through, it gets better i guarantee it.

Theres a bit with rick and a phone i wont spoil but its a superb bit of writing thats gonna be great in the tv series when it rolls around.

Agreed. Great series that I've been reading since #1.

mista_mo
28-Oct-2009, 07:41 PM
I read up...just a little bit after Dale was bitten I think. Dunno how far that is, but I was getting a little bored of it around then, but maybe i'll pick it up again.

Mike70
28-Oct-2009, 07:42 PM

i read them in one big push and consequently, i got burned out on it. i really enjoyed them but after reading all 48 in like a week, i needed a break.

ProfessorChaos
29-Oct-2009, 06:26 AM
the fifth hardcover comes out in january. like mike, i stopped at 48, after the prison storyline had come to a close. with everyone dead/missing with the exception of rick and his kid.

pretty pumped about catching up with the events that've happened since then.

strayrider
29-Oct-2009, 09:27 AM
TWD has its moments, but in general, this series just plain sucks. I feel no rush to go out and buy the latest issue.

Kirkman comes up with some good plot lines, then he just kinda rushes through them -- killing off characters as he goes. It gets boring after a cycle or two. I am surprised that this series has lasted for as long as it has.

:D

-stray-

Maggot Farmer
11-Dec-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm new to the posts, so...easy Pagans...
But I've got a question...
Why were those clowns eating people anyway?
It's been less than a year since the outbreak, 95% of the population is the drooling masses (I'll just assume. We've definitely seen 95 zombies to every 1 survivor).
There's GOT to be food left, if you asked me its just poor story telling. It would have been better if they were just sick of killing zombies and wanted something more challenging.
Just my opinion.
Another thing, why butcher those poor bastards? Not like there are any survivors...what's the point?

Danny
11-Dec-2009, 07:19 PM
It's been less than a year since the outbreak, 95% of the population is the drooling masses (I'll just assume. We've definitely seen 95 zombies to every 1 survivor).
There's GOT to be food left, if you asked me its just poor story telling. It would have been better if they were just sick of killing zombies and wanted something more challenging.
Just my opinion.
Another thing, why butcher those poor bastards? Not like there are any survivors...what's the point?

i think at this point everyones just breaking down emotionally, as seen by whats happened with the kids, so i dont think there taking everything in and thinking things through.

DeadJonas190
14-Dec-2009, 05:26 AM
Just my opinion.

They ate their children and other people because they were hungry and driven crazy by the hunger. One of the characters explained that they came up with the idea to eat the children from bears as bears will eat their cubs when facing starvation since they can always have more cubs.

Why kill them? A couple of reasons, the first being they were murdering other survivors for food instead of moving on and looking for food. Also, if they were left alive they could possibly follow Rick and the crew and kill them in their sleep. Why butcher them... well sometimes things get a little out of hand when one's life is threatened.

jdog
14-Dec-2009, 06:33 AM
i love TWD. i have read every issue and find them all to be entertaining. this new 5 part we really well done with the hunters. i really dug when rick and the group found the hunters at thier camp and did away with them. the fake doc wanting to go to washington i fugired was going to happen, i never believed his bs story.
once they get to washington things should get interesting again.