PDA

View Full Version : coyotes seem to be in the news a lot lately...

Mike70
29-Oct-2009, 12:51 PM
and it's not surprising, north america is literally overrun with these fucking things. that's one thing i don't think most people appreciate, coyotes are everywhere now. i've been reading a lot of articles in recent days about attacks on pets and general mischief but this morning a story came out of canada about the rarest of all coyote events: a fatal attack on a human.

there are sooooo many coyotes around where i live that the state wildlife agency has removed all hunting restrictions and reclassified them as a "nuisance" animal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8331106.stm

krakenslayer
29-Oct-2009, 01:00 PM
She was a folk singer. I just had a look at her MySpace Music page....

Upcoming Shows:

30 Oct 2009 20:00 Evergreen Theatre Margaretsville, Nova Scotia
31 Oct 2009 14:00 Brookside Cottage Concerts Hubbards, Nova Scotia
1 Nov 2009 20:00 The Carleton Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 Nov 2009 20:00 Shadow Lawn Inn Rothesay, New Brunswick
6 Nov 2009 13:00 The Cellar Fredericton, New Brunswick
6 Nov 2009 20:00 The Cellar Fredericton, New Brunswick
7 Nov 2009 20:00 The Dunk Charlottetown, Prince Edward

I guess they're all cancelled :p

Actually, that's really sad :(

Skippy911sc
29-Oct-2009, 02:42 PM
Calling those things is a ton of fun...load up the old 5.56 and put fresh batteries in the foxpro...wait 5 minutes...BLAM BLAM...dead coyote... I think the Road Runner would be envious. :D

Mike70
29-Oct-2009, 03:00 PM
Calling those things is a ton of fun...load up the old 5.56 and put fresh batteries in the foxpro...wait 5 minutes...BLAM BLAM...dead coyote... I think the Road Runner would be envious. :D

:lol:

coyotes are pretty much vermin and are so bad around here that people have actually stopped bitching about all the deer.:lol:

slickwilly13
29-Oct-2009, 03:22 PM
I have seen them from a distance. At the hunting grounds you can hear them during the evenings. I would not hesitate to shoot one if necessary.

Danny
29-Oct-2009, 03:26 PM
its stuff like this that makes my shitty little island rock due to no common large predators.

Bar those panthers everywhere of course.

-but ive only seen one of them once.

kortick
29-Oct-2009, 05:49 PM
yeah same thing here.

certian towns its a advisory not
to leave ur pet out at night cuz
cats regualrly dissapear and smaller
dogs do as well.

Also the fox population is exploding and they
walk right thru your yard with really little fear
of people or cars, and even in areas that are
populated and not wooded.

They havent hit the downtown areas yet
but thats ok cuz the rats would prolly make
quick work of them.

Mike70
29-Oct-2009, 11:31 PM
yeah same thing here.

certian towns its a advisory not
to leave ur pet out at night cuz
cats regualrly dissapear and smaller
dogs do as well.

ditto here. people usually don't leave small dogs outside alone. if you do, it'll probably wind up as dinner for a coyote.

a neighbor of mine had a group of cats living under her porch. one night she heard a commotion and when she looked in the morning, there wasn't anything left of the cats but bits of fur. coyotes made a buffet out of them.

deadpunk
29-Oct-2009, 11:53 PM
She was a folk singer.

Guess those there is no accounting for their taste then...:elol:

ProfessorChaos
30-Oct-2009, 07:45 AM
a couple that i know in my hometown made the mistake of leaving their puppy outside on a chain while they ran in town (they live on the outskirts) and came back a few hours later to find a chain with a pool of blood...pretty sad stuff.

AcesandEights
30-Oct-2009, 01:51 PM
Been meaning to follow the link when I first saw this thread earlier in the workweek, but it's been busy.

First, let me just say that something about the article title "Coyotes kill Canadian Folk Singer" just sounds so weird.

I always get put off by, not only the tragedy of these sort of cases that are outliers from the norm, but highly suspicious of the knee-jerking that goes on after the fact.

Mike70
30-Oct-2009, 02:22 PM
I always get put off by, not only the tragedy of these sort of cases that are outliers from the norm, but highly suspicious of the knee-jerking that goes on after the fact.

something like this is so rare that we might never hear of another incident involving a person. this is only the 2nd fatal attack on a person that i know of. coyotes are usually wary of people for good reason, lots of folks will shoot them on sight because in most places they little more than vermin. like i said above, most states (ohio included) place no hunting restrictions on coyotes. they may be killed with impunity at any time of the year and in any place where hunting or discharging a firearm is legal. there is also no limit on the number you can kill. this isn't a new development. it's been in place for years because ohio is fuckin' eaten up with coyotes.

far more common to hear to about people's pets getting chewed up or their garbage being raided. i've seen coyotes many, many times out hiking or whatnot. as soon as they see me, they are gone with a rush. i'd like to know a bit more back story to what happened in canada. it'd be very weird for even 2 coyotes to have the balls to attack a person.

Skippy911sc
30-Oct-2009, 03:22 PM
My 60 lbs boxer was attacked by coyotes...not sure how how did against them, but I know it took 20 stitches to fix her up...she has some nice battle wounds. I went out to look for any dead coyotes and found none. I feel a little sorry for her ego. :)

AcesandEights
30-Oct-2009, 03:38 PM
far more common to hear to about people's pets getting chewed up or their garbage being raided. i've seen coyotes many, many times out hiking or whatnot. as soon as they see me, they are gone with a rush. i'd like to know a bit more back story to what happened in canada. it'd be very weird for even 2 coyotes to have the balls to attack a person.

That's exactly how I feel. It's just plain odd.

Mike70
30-Oct-2009, 04:21 PM
That's exactly how I feel. It's just plain odd.

to speculate a bit, the coyotes in question could very well have been suffering from rabies. wild canines are one of the most common vectors for that. sheer speculation but it makes some sense.

Eyebiter
30-Oct-2009, 09:10 PM
I was surprised to read about this one. Wonder if she tried to feed the coyotes and they attacked? Coyotes are usually very shy around humans.

capncnut
01-Nov-2009, 01:13 PM
I never paid attention to this thread until now, thinking 'how interesting can coyotes be?'

A week or two ago, a friend sent me an MP3 by Taylor Mitchell called 'Don't Know How I Got Here' and I've listened to it quite regularly. I was listening to it again just now and I thought I'd give her a wiki. I'm absolutely shocked! I then remembered this thread and here I am.

JzCKPM6fp_8
Great song and a damn shame.

deadpunk
02-Nov-2009, 01:54 AM
HA! (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1223087/Pictured-The-coyote-hit-car-75mph-embedded-fender-dragged-600-miles--SURVIVED.html)

That's actually pretty amazing stuff. :eek::lol: