PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 2 turns nine

darth los
29-Oct-2009, 06:49 PM
There was a comment in one of the posts that sony is crazy for not making the ps3 backward compatible as well. There's a few different way to look at that.

There's the line of thought that it would boost the sales of the ps3 because there's already a library of over 10,000 games, Plus all the new next gen stuff, all on one console.

But basically If they make the current gen system backward compatable it would render the previuos gen's console obsolete. They would not be selling as many units of the ps2 if at all.

Thoughts?

And for the record opinions may differ on which is the best console of all time but this one is definitely the most prolific and because of that they have more high quality/AAA titles than any other in history.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6238233.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=hot-stories&tag=hot-stories;title;1

Tricky
29-Oct-2009, 07:02 PM
Nine??damn, where did those years go :confused: I bought my PS2 in late 2001 I think, it was the first games console I'd bought for myself & not got for xmas as I'd just left college & started working then! I got it with Red Faction & Thunderhawk: operation phoenix, shortly followed by GTA3 which I must have spent 7 or 8 solid months on & absolutely loved before the game I really bought the PS2 came out the following year - Medal of Honour:Frontline :cool:

capncnut
29-Oct-2009, 07:40 PM
Actually the PS2 is ten. It retailed in Japan on March 4th 2000 and early models were on show at various games expos around six months before that.

darth los
29-Oct-2009, 07:44 PM
Actually the PS2 is ten. It retailed in Japan on March 4th 2000 and early models were on show at various games expos around six months before that.

But isn't it just like Americans to think what happens here is the be all end all. And i wish i was half joking about that.

:cool:

Rottedfreak
29-Oct-2009, 07:45 PM
Just die already!

krakenslayer
29-Oct-2009, 08:09 PM
Just die already!

Harsh!

Time flies so fast. Part of me still thinks of the PS2 as "the new console". Probably the same part of me that still thinks of the 90s as "present day", as in "get with the nineties!"

darth los
29-Oct-2009, 08:37 PM
Harsh!

Time flies so fast. Part of me still thinks of the PS2 as "the new console". Probably the same part of me that still thinks of the 90s as "present day", as in "get with the nineties!"

Well, there are periods in everyone's life that they feel especially nostalgic about, it's usually when we're young. Things just seem magical from that time.

Another good example is a flick you used to just love as a kid. Then you throw in the blu ray player now and you're like" O.K. WTF was i thinking, this sucks."

krakenslayer
29-Oct-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, there are periods in everyone's life that they feel especially nostalgic about, it's usually when we're young. Things just seem magical from that time.

Another good example is a flick you used to just love as a kid. Then you throw in the blu ray player now and you're like" O.K. WTF was i thinking, this sucks."

That is very, very true. But in this case, it's not so much nostalgia (I never owned a PS2) as a sense that everything is flying past me so fast. I'm gonna be dead soon :S

Tricky
30-Oct-2009, 11:36 AM

Yeah that time for me is around the xmas that my parents bought me the PS1 after a full year of me hinting! (all my schoolmates got them the year before on release & I was jealous lol) I remember my parents had gone out one night maybe a week before xmas & I found the PS1 hidden in the back of a wardrobe, I couldnt help myself carefully opening the box, carefully unwrapping all the cables & excitedly playing the demo disc that came with it for maybe half an hour before I carefully put everything back as if it had never been opened & went to bed with a big grin on my face! Anyone remember that demo disc? it had the interactive T-rex walking & the manta ray swimming, also the die hard trilogy demo & a few others, very good nostalgic times those!

capncnut
30-Oct-2009, 01:34 PM
Anyone remember that demo disc? it had the interactive T-rex walking & the manta ray swimming, also the die hard trilogy demo & a few others, very good nostalgic times those!
Yes, still have it!

AcesandEights
30-Oct-2009, 02:16 PM
...the same part of me that still thinks of the 90s as "present day"...

Damn, so I'm not the only one who does that :shifty:

darth los
30-Oct-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah that time for me is around the xmas that my parents bought me the PS1 after a full year of me hinting! (all my schoolmates got them the year before on release & I was jealous lol) I remember my parents had gone out one night maybe a week before xmas & I found the PS1 hidden in the back of a wardrobe, I couldnt help myself carefully opening the box, carefully unwrapping all the cables & excitedly playing the demo disc that came with it for maybe half an hour before I carefully put everything back as if it had never been opened & went to bed with a big grin on my face! Anyone remember that demo disc? it had the interactive T-rex walking & the manta ray swimming, also the die hard trilogy demo & a few others, very good nostalgic times those!

I don't really recall if that's the same one i had but the demo disc mine came with had Battle Arena Toshinden (now there's a blast from the past, huh?), Jet moto, Some game that tested your I.Q. , some battlesuit mech game, Parappa the Rappa among others. But yeah, it did seem magical.

Tricky
30-Oct-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't really recall if that's the same one i had but the demo disc mine came with had Battle Arena Toshinden (now there's a blast from the past, huh?), Jet moto, Some game that teted your I.Q. , some battlesuit mech game, Parappa the Rappa among others. But yeah, it did seem magical.

That could be the one! I do remember it having a two round fight on Toshinden on there, as well as a snowboarding demo & a Wipeout single race! I was about 15 then & the PS1 did indeed seem magical, the days when a good new game like resi evil etc made me feel all warm inside, the way girls would a couple of years later lol

capncnut
30-Oct-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't really recall if that's the same one i had but the demo disc mine came with had Battle Arena Toshinden
That was the second official Playstation demo and yeah Toshinden was nuts, that boss fight got right on my titties.

"You have met your match I do believe!"

darth los
30-Oct-2009, 04:54 PM
That was the second official Playstation demo and yeah Toshinden was nuts, that boss fight got right on my titties.

"You have met your match I do believe!"

Yes! YEs!! That's it ! :lol::lol:

I was thinking and that God awful Star wars wannabe street fighter game was on there as well. Anyone remember that?

capncnut
30-Oct-2009, 05:03 PM
I was thinking and that God awful Star wars wannabe street fighter game was on there as well. Anyone remember that?
Masters Of The Teräs Kasi, another one I still have. I had to keep that one for the sheer LOL's because of the Gamorrean Guard, Thok, and his intro. I'm certain the guy who voiced the ring announcer deliberately pronounced that name slightly different to get a laugh.

"Han Solo versus FUCK!" :lol:

Tricky
30-Oct-2009, 06:16 PM
This little sequence makes me feel super nostalgic!
goPduGKpcIE

capncnut
30-Oct-2009, 06:26 PM
This little sequence makes me feel super nostalgic!
I still play my PS1 so I see that sequence regularly. I do love it though and always have to watch it when I turn it on. :D

darth los
30-Oct-2009, 06:37 PM
For a while now I've been wanting to collect old consoles. I know I used to have most of them but for the life of me i can't figure out what happened to them.

I know i could just download alot of titles to the wii ps3 or x box, but there's no substitute for blowing in a cartridge, turning on the console and beating Super Macho Man's ass. :sneaky:

Tricky
30-Oct-2009, 06:49 PM
Ive still got my Atari Jaguar with Doom, Syndicate & Alien vs Predator, damn thing doesnt like working with modern TV's though :(

darth los
30-Oct-2009, 06:53 PM
Ive still got my Atari Jaguar with Doom, Syndicate & Alien vs Predator, damn thing doesnt like working with modern TV's though :(

I believe the ps2 and gamecube have the same problem. As soon as i hook those consoles up to my plasma screen it renders the games virtually unplayable because i literally can't see a thing. You would think that it would upscale the image if anything but no, it's made it much worse.

Philly_SWAT
30-Oct-2009, 07:01 PM
There was a comment in one of the posts that sony is crazy for not making the ps3 backward compatible as well. There's a few different way to look at that.

There's the line of thought that it would boost the sales of the ps3 because there's already a library of over 10,000 games, Plus all the new next gen stuff, all on one console.

But basically If they make the current gen system backward compatable it would render the previuos gen's console obsolete. They would not be selling as many units of the ps2 if at all.

Thoughts?

Personally, I think backward compatible should be mandatory by law, whether we are talking about PS3's or anything else. To not do so is to rip people off. Would they sell less PS2's? Yes, but by the same token they would sell more of the more expensive PS3s. The main thing that pissed me off about Windows Vista is how much stuff was not backward compatible, and everyone from software manufacturers to hardware (i.e. driver) companies decided to not make Vista patches etc, forcing you to buy new stuff. Did it make them ALL more money? Sure. Was it good business? Hard to say. Definitely got me more pissed at Microsoft than usual.

darth los
30-Oct-2009, 07:27 PM
Would they sell less PS2's? Yes, but by the same token they would sell more of the more expensive PS3s.

Not necessarily. It's an added perk for sure but then you would have 2 consoles that play ps2 games instead of one. If there was only one console that does that (which is how it currently is) then if you wanted to play ps2 games you would just have to go buy that one. Me thinks that's a big reason for the continued decent sales of ps2 harware/software.

If you could play them on the ps3 there would be no reason to have a ps2.

Just ask all the gamecubes and x boxes that are sitting in that landfill out west next to all those old E.T. Atari games. :lol:

AcesandEights
30-Oct-2009, 07:35 PM
I was so off consoles when PS2 had its heyday, I never bothered with one.

Tricky
30-Oct-2009, 08:03 PM
I believe the ps2 and gamecube have the same problem. As soon as i hook those consoles up to my plasma screen it renders the games virtually unplayable because i literally can't see a thing. You would think that it would upscale the image if anything but no, it's made it much worse.

Actually with the Jag the problem is that it connected to the RF terrestrial aerial socket same as the megadrive,snes etc which newer tv's, or at least the ones in our house dont have! There is an aerial socket on the back but when ive hooked up the console I cant find it in any of the channels despite going through all the AV channels & tuning :( shame I got rid of the old 14" portable I had in my room in my teens! I remember being really impressed with AvP when he says at the beginning "what on earth got hold of this guy?" as speech was so rare in games back then :lol: