PDA

View Full Version : Played L4D2, AVP and others yesterday!!

SymphonicX
31-Oct-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey all

I popped along to the Eurogamer expo in London yesterday with a mate and we played through some awesome new games...I'll give a rundown of the game and the format I played it on....

Left for Dead 2 - xbox 360
We played Scavenge mode (I believe) on a map which name escapes me - it was a versus match with 8 players (4 infected, 4 human). I haven't really read much on L4D2 simply to not spoil the surprise when I actually play the game, so forgive me if I'm recapping already known information. I played about 3/4 games. The point of the game was for survivors to collect yellow fuel canisters and try to fill up a generator to power it...I played firstly as an infected - I got to be a "charger" (I think that's what it's called) which is like a half tank thing that runs at the survivors until it hits one, at which point it batters the survivor by bashing them on the floor (!)...pretty cool, and my first play I managed to run straight into "zoey" (or whatever the girl's name is now), grab her and bash her up royally! (perfect Saturday!)...it was great fun and the charger was blatantly cumbersome to control, but this added to the appeal of getting it right!
Then I played as a survivor (Edward Norton-a-like), and right from the start there was an AK47 type rifle, a smaller SMG that was still powerful and fun to use, and a manual shotgun...further on in the level was a grenade launcher which takes only one shot per clip, a guitar (which I didn't use) and the usual molotov/pipe bomb gear. There are also needles in the game for health-refills. The zeds look much better, more defined, and the gunshot wounds are pretty awesome...However it really does feel like more of an expansion than a new game, but first impressions are that it'll bring many more scary hours of play.
I then played as a hunter, and nabbed a few peeps before the round ended and I moved on to play.....

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Xbox360
OMG this game is visually awesome...it's defo gonna be a contender against MW2, and the amount of vehicles that you can use is stunning. the maps are huge as fook it seems, but aside from visual improvements and vehicles/weapons - the game is similar in feel and intensity, which is no bad thing! This is definitely set to be an improvement if it's half as promising as the demo that I played.

Aliens Vs Predator - PS3
We then played Aliens vs Predator, got to speak to the dev team about it. It was a multiplayer build made just for the expo, and OMG this game is going to be fucking AMAZING. FUCKING AMAZING! It was very unpolished and definitely needed tweaks but as the dev guy said, it's just a rough build for the expo. I played as a predator in a small but detailed map reminiscent of a mayan ruin...its very playable and very much smacks of the original AVP in which as an alien you can traverse walls and whatnot, and brutally kill people with your tail. As a predator you can turn invisible and jump great distances, so my tactic was to jump into the trees and ambush people - sticking them brutally with the knives on his wrist, it was just awesome! Couldn't figure out how to shoot the shoulder cannon but my mate did and that too, looked beyond awesome. As you'd expect, the multiple views of the predator can be accessed from heat vision, to just normal...Didn't see any marine action as everyone wanted to be an Alien or a Predator.
Best part of the whole thing though, was the dev guy gave me two of those things you attach to your neck to hold your work pass on, with WEYLANDYUTANI "Building better worlds" logo on it...awesome!!!!!

MAG - ps3
Fucking bunch of shite, avoid

Ugh, boring and clunky level design and shitty halo-esque vehicles, taking bits from Dead Space and Halo collectively...boring, really boring....

Assassin's Creed 2 - ps3
beautiful, beautiful game - visually awesome. New additions include smoke bombs, multiple choices for certain situations and new ways of blending in...beautifully crafted game as was the first one, but unlike the original isn't selling short on things to do - looks like a real contender for a top-selling game.

SAW - The game - Xbox360
Surprisingly good looking puzzle game in the vein of Manhunt(visually). It's essentially about getting from point A to point B without having your head punctured by sharp objects, or disintegrated in a trap...but what it essentially relies on is the puzzle aspect which could be quite attactive for fans of the movies - whether a thorough play-through will yield similar opinions waits to be seen....it is faithful to the films though, so will provide an interesting review or two when it's released. (if not already)

Need for Speed Shift
Fuck it, it's out aint it? It was gash anyway. I hate racing games that aren't arcadey but instead make you brake for corners...no fun!

I did play more but I've had a memory lapse....hope that was useful to someone in some context...all I can say is AVP AVP AVP!!!!

CoinReturn
31-Oct-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the impressions! I've been wanting to try out Scavenge mode on L4D2 but unfortunately the public demo doesn't have the option.

Bad Company 2 and AVP sound as awesome as I've been hoping. How's the destruction in BC2? I heard you can take down entire buildings.

SymphonicX
31-Oct-2009, 03:06 PM
never got that far into it I'm afraid!!! :(

Tricky
31-Oct-2009, 03:19 PM
I cant wait for AvP, on todays systems it should be frigging awesome once polished up etc! :cool:

3pidemiC
01-Nov-2009, 02:42 PM
Yes! I can't wait for AvP.

I really hope the rumors arn't true about them fucking up the multiplayer system (ala Modern Warfare 2).

AcesandEights
02-Nov-2009, 02:16 PM
Nice report, Symph! I didn't think I'd really start to look forward to Battlefield Bad Company 2 :)

darth los
02-Nov-2009, 07:10 PM
Thnx for the heads up.

I now have some insight into what is a buy and what is a rent.

:cool: