PDA

View Full Version : Knightriders

JDFP
02-Nov-2009, 02:13 AM
** Minor SPOILERS Below **

I finally had an opportunity to see "Knightriders" for the first time the other night with my dad. Both my dad and I immensely enjoyed it.

I was a little hesitant in going into it because of the long running time after seeing "Martin". I didn't particularly care for "Martin", I did enjoy how it gave new mythos to the vampire and presented a unique story -- but execution wise, it just didn't work for me. I'm not saying I disliked the film, I just didn't personally care for it. I thought it could have used quite a bit more work.

However, with "Knightriders", I was extremely pleased. I would give it 4.5 out of 5 stars (and gave it four on my Netflix account since they only let you rank in full stars). With that said, I've only given "five stars" to about thirty films out of the 1200 I've rated with Netflix. I think it could have been more tightly knit for the story, the two and a half hour storyline could have easily been cut down by a good 30 minutes with a bit of editing, but overall it was just an incredibly entertaining story and I was extremely impressed with Savini's (as Morgan) and Ed Harris's characters and their portrayals of the characters.

A few moments that really stood out to me -- Savini especially when he is being named "king" as he bows, I thought it was very powerful to see him, as such a strong-willed character, breaking down into tears. Another scene with him is as he's witnessing the fight in the hotel room with the other "knights" and realizing that he could not set up a new "kingdom" himself except through the right means. Savini's character was just very compelling for me. Savini gave so much life to the character as Morgan, and I loved the performance. I did find myself asking though: "Is Savini really acting, or just being Savini?" a few times.

Dad and I (both HUGE fans of "DAY") ended up laughing our asses off in the scene where Joe Pilato is yelling, especially when we noticed Taso Stavrakis and John Amplas both in the background. I kept waiting at the end of his "rant" to look at Stavrakis and say: "C'mon, Ewain, we've got better shit to do!". Needless to say, we both had a huge kick out of this.

I think Ed Harris also did an incredible job as the king. The imagery, symbolism, and every element of this film was just incredibly well done. After watching this wonderful film, it just made me realize how great it would be to see Romero do another type of drama film instead of his traditional zombie flicks. Man, this was just a classy and well-done film. His dead trilogy will always be highest on my list of his films, but "Knightriders" was just a hell of a film that I really enjoyed, and leaves me wanting more of this type of dramatic film from Romero.

j.p.

MoonSylver
02-Nov-2009, 02:28 AM
Knightriders really is just a beautiful film. One of my favorite films period, Romero or not. IMO it's GAR's most personal film, & I think if you're a fan & you see it, it will speak volumes to you about the man himself. I really don't mind the long run time at all & wouldn't cut a minute personally. Can't say why, but it all just FEELS right to me, & befitting of such a story.

As for Martin? Love it as well. I'm willing to overlook any & all flaws in execution as it was only GAR's 3rd film after NOTLD & There's Always Vanilla. He was still finding his way a bit as a filmmaker & it shows, but the STORY & the way it's told is strong enough for me that it overcomes any other limitations of the film itself.

Glad you enjoyed Knightriders though! Always glad to have another convert!:D

ProfessorChaos
02-Nov-2009, 05:09 AM
actually, moon. romero also directed "season of the witch" and "the crazies" prior to martin.

the only romero non-dead film i've seen is the crazies, but the capn advised me to check out martin, so that and knightriders are both on my list.

MoonSylver
02-Nov-2009, 05:19 AM
actually, moon. romero also directed "season of the witch" and "the crazies" prior to martin.

the only romero non-dead film i've seen is the crazies, but the capn advised me to check out martin, so that and knightriders are both on my list.

Really? Huh. So they were. Memory slippin'...coulda swore they came after...knew I shoulda checked my facts before posting. Still, early enough in his career that the point stands, I think. All of those early movies are still almost in the pseudo-amateur range. He definitely hadn't hit "the big leagues" yet in terms of sophistication.

Mike70
02-Nov-2009, 01:27 PM

martin and knightriders are both must sees. i think they are two of romero's best movies, dead or otherwise.

betake yourself from this site and don't come back until you've viewed both.:lol::moon:

Frodo
02-Nov-2009, 09:44 PM
i think the love of all of you guys for George Romero blind your judgement, i find this film so booooooring

MoonSylver
02-Nov-2009, 10:03 PM
i think the love of all of you guys for George Romero blind your judgement, i find this film so booooooring

Nope. As I said, GAR has nothing to do with it. The movie just speaks to me on a personal level, about dreams & dreamers vs the cold hard reality of life & what it means to fight to keep dreams alive & at what price. Sometimes funny, sometimes touching, sometimes exciting, sometimes uplifting. Definitely bittersweet.

Also, I like knights & the medieval period, & think the idea of knights jousting on motorcycles is cool. And I'm an Arthurian buff & this movie definitely has a wispy-nostalgic-brief-shining-moment Camelot vibe too.

JDFP
03-Nov-2009, 01:15 AM
Nope. As I said, GAR has nothing to do with it. The movie just speaks to me on a personal level, about dreams & dreamers vs the cold hard reality of life & what it means to fight to keep dreams alive & at what price. Sometimes funny, sometimes touching, sometimes exciting, sometimes uplifting. Definitely bittersweet.

I completely agree. I think near the final scenes in particular when Ed Harris is driving down the highway outside Gettysburg (with the battlefield in the background, powerful imagery there as well) and hallucinating of being in a field charging across with his horse, I think this is the most powerful scene in any Romero film EVER. It's just extremely powerful stuff.

j.p.

Philly_SWAT
03-Nov-2009, 03:33 AM
I think Knightriders is a great film, GAR or not. Martin, I appreciate the concept more than the execution. I am always a little surprised when I see a GAR fan say that Martin is their fav GAR film ( I think that MUST be the aforementioned blinded judgement). One of the things that was so cool about Knightriders is that it is a veritable whos who of "Romero" actors.

As a bit of trivia, this is the first film that Ed Harris ever made. "The Right Stuff" was released first, and is a lot of times inaccurately referred to as Ed Harris's first movie, but Knightriders is his first.

MoonSylver
03-Nov-2009, 05:42 AM
As a bit of trivia, this is the first film that Ed Harris ever made. "The Right Stuff" was released first, and is a lot of times inaccurately referred to as Ed Harris's first movie, but Knightriders is his first.

D'OH! I meant to point that out as well & forgot. That fact makes his performance even more impressive.

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 AM ----------

I completely agree. I think near the final scenes in particular when Ed Harris is driving down the highway outside Gettysburg (with the battlefield in the background, powerful imagery there as well) and hallucinating of being in a field charging across with his horse, I think this is the most powerful scene in any Romero film EVER. It's just extremely powerful stuff.

Agreed. I never realized that was Gettysburg. Wow...poignant stuff.

SymphonicX
05-Nov-2009, 09:35 AM
Awesome movie...up there with Dawn IMO

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2009, 09:51 AM
Although why it's under "Horror" I don't know...

*looks at Andy* :p

Philly_SWAT
05-Nov-2009, 10:47 AM
Although why it's under "Horror" I don't know...

*looks at Andy* :p

LOL, good point!

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2009, 12:04 PM
LOL, good point!
hehehe

Moved it now. :p