PDA

View Full Version : So, my CPR training finally paid off...

deadpunk
03-Nov-2009, 03:14 PM
I work at a Residential Treatment Facility for mentally ill children. Yesterday I was saddled with the job of taking a client from the younger boys unit for an eye exam. As a rule, I avoid driving trips like the black plague. Being in an enclosed vehicle with an RTF kid for anything longer than 20 minutes is sorta like :annoyed:

On the return trip to our Facility, we were a healthy distance behind this large black pick-up truck, when another pick-up blows a stop sign. It was one of the most horrorific things I have ever seen. These 2 trucks hit each other at roughly 45 miles per hour. They completely spun around until they were facing the opposite direction.

I swing around the accident on the side of the road and tell myself "Don't stop. You can't stop. You have the kid with you."

But, I slow down as I pass, take one look and realize I have to. Son of a bitch!

I pull over and tell the kid to stay in the car. I turn off the engine, throw the child locks and jump out. By the time I run back to the scene, a woman has come out of her house and 3 other motorists have stopped. 2 of the other motorists approach the black truck where the driver is slowly shaking his head and attempting to get out. Another guy whips out his cell phone and calls 911. The woman and I make eye contact and approach the red truck that had caused the accident.

This thing is a mangled mess. The hood is crumpled, the windows are shattered and smoke is pouring out from underneath the body. We look inside and I almost puke. The young guy driving the truck wasn't wearing his seatbelt. He is sprawled across the bucket seat with his feet wedged under the petals and his head facing the passenger window. And there is blood everywhere.

At this point, I'm praying someone else will take charge. Anyone. I wanted anyone to step up and start barking orders or just shove me aside and state "Everybody chill out, I got this shit." I look up at the other people surrounding the scene. The other 2 guys are busy with the other motorist. He's shaken, but not badly hurt and they're all clearly avoiding looking in our direction. Dude #3 is still on his phone. The woman looks at me with wide eyes and says jack. Tag, I'm it. Oh shit.

I grab the driver's side door handle and pull. It comes off in my hand. I reach through the broken window and try the inside handle. Same deal. I run around the vehicle and try the passenger side door. The handles are good, but the door is firmly wedged shut.

This is when I really get a good look at the kid behind the wheel. His head is split open like a melon. There is blood everywhere, but I'm not overly concerned about that, head wounds, even small ones, bleed excessively. What concerns me is that the kid is non-responsive and there is smoke pouring out from under his vehicle.

I look around one more time, praying for a cop, a fire fighter, anybody with any kind of authority. Nada.

I reach through the window and feel the kid's neck. No pulse. I stick my hand under his nose and get nothing. My stomach bottoms out at that point.

Working at the RTF has a lot of requirements. First Aid and CPR training yearly are part of that. If you've ever taken Red Cross CPR training, you know that its a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am kind of affair. I swear they give you the shit with the knowledge that you will forget everything and never have the need to use it.

Everything that happens next is sheer reaction on my part. I just do and don't question.

"Go get some towels!" I scream at the woman. I pull my hands inside my sleeves and brush away the glass sticking through the window. Then, I climb inside.

I distinctly hear one of the other motorists screaming at me to get the fuck out of the truck.

I straddle this kid right there in the truck, slap his face a few times and pray this isn't going to happen. But, it does.

I'm halfway through my third set of chest compressions when it happens. LOL. This kid's eyes fly open, his whole body jerks and he gasps in these ragged breaths. Folks, I spent waaaaaay too much time on this site. I watch too many horror films. I can't lie; if my ass cheeks hadn't been squeezed together from the awkward position I was in, I would have actually shit my pants.

I look up and see the woman standing there holding 2 towels. I snatch them both. I cover the kid up with one, and climb out of the truck. I reach through the window and use the second towel as a compress on the head injury. And I finally hear sirens.

The paramedics, police and fire fighters show up, cut one of the doors off the truck and throw a neck brace on the kid. They slap a board under him and haul him away.

I spent the rest of the night feling very disconnected and guilty. Have I become such a cynical asshole tht my first reaction was: Don't stop? That my next reaction was: please let someone else take charge so I can get the fuck out of here? WTF is wrong with me? I mean, I know I did the right thing when it was crunch time, I just can't get past the fact that I hesitated. If anyone had ever asked me, I would have sworn I would be the kind of person that would rush into that type of situation. I'm slightly disappointed to learn that I'm really not.

Anyway, that was my night at work last night. Probably the scariest thing thats ever happened to me and I just wanted to share.

krakenslayer
03-Nov-2009, 03:28 PM
I spent the rest of the night feling very disconnected and guilty. Have I become such a cynical asshole tht my first reaction was: Don't stop? That my next reaction was: please let someone else take charge so I can get the fuck out of here? WTF is wrong with me? I mean, I know I did the right thing when it was crunch time, I just can't get past the fact that I hesitated. If anyone had ever asked me, I would have sworn I would be the kind of person that would rush into that type of situation. I'm slightly disappointed to learn that I'm really not.

Anyway, that was my night at work last night. Probably the scariest thing thats ever happened to me and I just wanted to share.

You did better than I probably would have. I would be terrified that I'd somehow make things worse, and I know I'd feel a strong urge to drive on by and probably tear myself up over it for the rest of my life. You, on the other hand... well:

Congratulations, friend, you're a hero. :thumbsup:

bassman
03-Nov-2009, 03:33 PM
Whoa....crazy stuff, man. Don't feel guilty at all. It's not your job to be the leader of the situation. Just about every other person in the world would hesitate and try to avoid having someone else's life in their hands.

Besides....it isn't the hesitation that counts. It's the fact that you still decided to do the right thing and probably saved the kid's life.

Kudos to you, my friend. You did more than most people would.:thumbsup:

AcesandEights
03-Nov-2009, 05:22 PM
You did better than I probably would have.

Word. I'd have managed to break the guys ribs during compression and that's probably about it. I can't remember ass from my training.

I think it's human to have doubts and want to do things the easy way--stay out of trouble etc.--and it's heroic to go counter to that. You did a good thing, man!

deadpunk
03-Nov-2009, 05:35 PM
Word. I'd have managed to break the guys ribs during compression and that's probably about it. I can't remember ass from my training.

Turns out, the initial compression almost always breaks something. A little factoid that don't relay to you during CPR training :shifty:. The initial compression is exactly how you imagine its going to be and then, it goes from pushing on something thats hard as bone to something that feels more like your thigh...

I appreciate the kind words guys. I don't really find what I did to be heroic by any means, though. I feel that because I had the training and could respond, I had an obligation to. The reality is, my mind shut down and I only reacted. I'm not trying to be hard on myself, I just felt that I should have done better than I did.

I learned something about myself that I didn't really care for in this situation, and I think that that often happens to people in a time of crisis. Faced with the same scenario today, my hope is: that I would keep my head a bit better and would hesitate less. God willing, I won't have to find out anytime soon :p

MikePizzoff
03-Nov-2009, 08:39 PM
Dude, you saved someone's life. YOU BROUGHT SOMEONE BACK FROM THE DEAD! There is no reason for you to feel guilty about your initial hesitation.

Did any authority figure get your info so the kid can thank you once he's better?

ProfessorChaos
03-Nov-2009, 10:10 PM
yeah, man. congrats. you should feel great about what you did.

while i'm not cpr certified, i had to take several first-aid and combat care courses while in the military. don't know if it'll ever come in handy, or if i'd be able to step up to the plate like you did, but that's a great skill to know.

again, kudos for your efforts/success in helping that dude out, and thanks sharing your experiences with us.

blind2d
03-Nov-2009, 11:55 PM
What a crazy situation! I applaud you for doing the right thing, even if it wasn't entirely conscious. I mean, wow! You totally rock! Anyway, to see what NOT to do, watch the first few minutes of Gantz.

Exatreides
04-Nov-2009, 12:32 AM
Good job, but you should never remove anyone from a vehicle with out proper training.

If his heads split open, theres a pretty good chance that he's suffered a head injury, and a good chance that there could be a Cervical spinal injury.

The fact that he was already dead makes it not matter. If he had been alive, and had a spinal injury, and you moved him. You could have paralyzed or even killed him. Just be careful.

Good work on the CPR, that shit rarely works, nice to see that it's worth the training.

slickwilly13
04-Nov-2009, 02:48 AM
Awesome dude. :cool:

Debbieangel
04-Nov-2009, 02:57 AM
hmmm I do believe if I read it right he didn't take him out of the truck, he performed CPR right in the truck.
Anyway, DP, what can anyone of us say we would do faced in similar situation?
I know you feel bad for hesitating but um, you are human!
I think it was GREAT what you did, faced with the right thing you did it. You could have said screw it and left with the child you were transporting.
I think you should feel proud of yourself and KNOW if something ever happened you would be able to do it again.
BTW: I am sooo glad to see you back!!!!!

Exatreides
04-Nov-2009, 03:30 AM
Moving him out of a truck/moving him is what I meant. You should only ever do that if it's on fire, sinking, or being attacked by a group of velociraptors.

Good job taking lead in a situation.

deadpunk
04-Nov-2009, 04:13 AM
BTW: I am sooo glad to see you back!!!!!

Thanks Deb. Its good to be back. :)

DjfunkmasterG
04-Nov-2009, 10:31 AM
Don't sell yourself short man. You did a great thing and it is normal to feel uneasy in a situation like that and too feel disconnected afterwards.

In the end you saved a life, and that is what matters most.

SymphonicX
04-Nov-2009, 11:03 AM
I think you should get a medal for your efforts. We'd all think those things in a situation like this...its completely natural!!! Major congrats for your efforts though, you probably saved that dude's life!!!

Three cheers for deadpunk - awesome stuff...!!!

Debbieangel
04-Nov-2009, 09:57 PM
Moving him out of a truck/moving him is what I meant. You should only ever do that if it's on fire, sinking, or being attacked by a group of velociraptors.

Good job taking lead in a situation.

OK, sorry if I misunderstood you Exa...but, you are right, moving would cause more harm than good.

I hope if I were in a situation like this I would be able to help atleast alittle bit. I don't have the training to take charge but I would hope I would atleast do something to help.
Deadpunk...still it is wonderful what you did!