PDA

View Full Version : "V" and Obama

thxleo
04-Nov-2009, 12:42 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-tc-tvcolumn-v-1102-1103nov03,0,7062976.story

I watched the premiere show and it's obvious that it takes shots at the Obama hysteria. The "leader" even tells the media she wants to give everyone health care.

deadpunk
04-Nov-2009, 01:07 PM
Wespent last night at work introducing the kids to the original V. God, it had been so long since I had seen it, I had forgotten the Beast Master was in it! :lol: Distracting. I kept waiting for the guy to pull a pair of ferrets out of his pocket and sling 'em at a visitor's face...:hyper:

AcesandEights
04-Nov-2009, 02:29 PM
To a degree this makes sense. After all, populist movements are always fraught with danger. The ability to blind a person's objectivity, suborn a person's actions to the will of the group etc.

Populist movements can also have positive results too, mobilize people to get off their asses, get them to take stock of their world views, but--in general--I think it's best to be objective, benevolent and realistic, as opposed to doing something because it's what so many others are pushing for.

slickwilly13
04-Nov-2009, 02:31 PM
I did not watch it, because I had night school. There was a marathon during the weekend and half of Monday. It was nice to see the '80's version, again. I remember in the 1st grade watching the series and wanting to nail Faye Grant, Jane Badler, and June Chadwick.

rightwing401
04-Nov-2009, 03:02 PM
Saw it last night. It was obviously different than the original series. But it looks like it might have some promise. This series seems to be more focused on religeous/emotional deception than the first. I'm a little ticked that they didn't have any characters as scientists in this. That was a big focal point of the original series, and it worked perfectly.

It would certainly have raised some interesting food for thought for viewers if they had several scientists discussing exactly how an alien species could have evolved on a completely different world and yet they look exactly like us. It would have gotten even more intersesting if they had asked the visitors to allow them samples of their DNA and geographic information about their homeworld to study the comparison between them and humans, only to have the aliens flatly refuse the requests.

But ultimately, what I want to know if this series really takes off, is who in the hell are they going to get to play Ham Tylor? I mean, Michael Ironside was the ultimate badass in the original series, and he looked the part perfectly. A blading, gruff looking fella who acts like a real ass most of the time, but he's the kind of guy you love to hate, because he knows what the hell he's doing. I still consider his first shootout with the aliens in the rebel base camp one of the best coriographed scenes ever.

Graebel
04-Nov-2009, 06:26 PM
But ultimately, what I want to know if this series really takes off, is who in the hell are they going to get to play Ham Tylor? I mean, Michael Ironside was the ultimate badass in the original series, and he looked the part perfectly. A blading, gruff looking fella who acts like a real ass most of the time, but he's the kind of guy you love to hate, because he knows what the hell he's doing.

I had such a crush on him because of V.:o

It felt like they were trying to do too much in the first hour. The original took almost three to get to the same place. And I know that its 'in' to change up who your original characters are, but I agree with you Rightwing, by removing the scientific elements I feel like we've lost some of the punch.

However, it was wierd watching Anna. Morena Baccarin looks like she could be alien with that haircut.

Overall, very uneven acting (not even Beast Master consistent cheese). Priest was kinda cute though.....

darth los
04-Nov-2009, 06:50 PM
The original was only addressing issues that were relavent i that mid 80's era. Scientists, military were very prevalent in t.v. as well as movies. (Day of the dead anyone?) We now seem to be in an era where we are questioning many long held dogmas whether they be polital philisophical or religious. Perhaps the show is just reflecting that.

By the way my Favorite quote from the original series: When the old Jewish dude came across some kids who were spray painting graffitti and he stops them and says "If you're going to do it, do it right." And proceeds to spray paint the V symbol on the wall. Epic. I use that line till this day.

:cool:

slickwilly13
04-Nov-2009, 07:39 PM
Anyone notice that some of the actors on the original series ending up on the HBO series, OZ?

BillyRay
04-Nov-2009, 09:02 PM
Hadn't planned on watching it, but got sucked into it regardless.

(Laundry night)

On the one hand, the new version wasn't weighed down with the camp like the original series was. On the other hand, it doesn't have the campy charm that the original series had. That being said, I'm willing to give it another couple watches to see where they take it.

But ultimately, what I want to know if this series really takes off, is who in the hell are they going to get to play Ham Tylor? I mean, Michael Ironside was the ultimate badass in the original series, and he looked the part perfectly. A blading, gruff looking fella who acts like a real ass most of the time, but he's the kind of guy you love to hate, because he knows what the hell he's doing. I still consider his first shootout with the aliens in the rebel base camp one of the best coriographed scenes ever.

Amen, brother. Although I really dig the scene in the laser tunnels where the cop character ain't gonna make it; and although he & Ham have been at each others' throats from Jump, Ham hands him some extra ammo as the rest of the party escapes.

And when are we going to get the new version of Willie?

"I am just."

MoonSylver
04-Nov-2009, 10:23 PM
I had such a crush on him because of V.:o

That's because Michael Ironsides is The Man.

Since I'm a dude though, my crush was reserved for someone else...

http://sirianvisitors.com/poster_image_to_use.jpg

:D

JDFP
04-Nov-2009, 10:31 PM
They are supposedly airing only like the first four episodes or something until later next year. So nope, not going to get into something just to have to wait until next year to watch it. Only show I've done that with is LOST, and believe me I'd wait until the DVD's with it if I knew the length of hiatus between shows as well. I'll do what I normally do for shows I want to watch, I'll wait for the season DVD set to come out. That way I don't have to wait weeks between episodes to watch it, and if they end up cancelling it then I won't have to be disappointed in getting caught up in watching something without it having a complete season or proper ending -- that way I can read on message boards to see if something was cancelled without a proper ending and not waste my time with it by getting the season set. :)

After JERICHO, that was "bye bye" with me taking the time to watch shows on network television -- I wait on the DVD season sets. If they want my viewership, it's coming courtesy of Netflix for a rental on it.

j.p.

clanglee
04-Nov-2009, 10:59 PM
I wait on the DVD season sets. If they want my viewership, it's coming courtesy of Netflix for a rental on it.

j.p.

That's one thing I really dig about Netflix now. . Not sure if this is for other shows as well, but the current season of Heroes is watchable on Netflix online, just a day or 2 after it's TV debut. I realise you can see the same thing on NBC.com, but it's just nice to have it stream to my TV. :)

As far as V goes, I missed it, gonna have to check it out online I guess. I remember loving the original series as a kid, but I honestly can't remember much else about it other than Marc Singer and Robert Englund were in it. . .and there were good and bad lizard guys, and there were a few women on the show that gave me funny new feelings, until they ripped off their skin and turned out to be lizards that is.

rightwing401
04-Nov-2009, 11:27 PM
By the way my Favorite quote from the original series: When the old Jewish dude came across some kids who were spray painting graffitti and he stops them and says "If you're going to do it, do it right." And proceeds to spray paint the V symbol on the wall. Epic. I use that line till this day.

:cool:

Damn, I love the old Jewish man from the original series. He was the only one in the beginning who caught on to what the Visitors were up to. One of my favorite scenes with him in it is when his son is trying to convince him that he just being paranoid about the whole thing, and he replies-

"I smuggled you out of Berlin in a suitcase when you were just eight months old to save your life. Don't tell me that I'm being paranoid."

That final part where the Visitor shock troops bust into the safe house where the scientist and his family were hiding, and he's just in there listening to music, looks over his shoulder at them and says "Shalom". Priceless.

One of the biggest things I'm curious about for the new series is how difficult it will be for the resistance to rise up. I always found that I could put myself in the rebel leaders' shoes because they were nothing more than a scientist and a cameraman. Not exactly ideal material for starting a guerilla war, and it shows in their first few operations with how poor their execution is and how it leads to people dying because of that.

While this new series doesn't have the same feel in it that the original did for me, I'm intrigued enough to give it a try. There's a couple of other things that I'm curious about which I hope are address in the next few episodes. One of the main ones being interactions between the Visitors and humans. I just can't bring myself to buy that the Visitors would be ok with their people becoming emotionally attatched to humans (or at least they wouldn't encourage it), as that would create a risk to the secrecy of what they really are.

blind2d
05-Nov-2009, 01:29 AM
Remakes? Crap... where's the originality, dammit?!

clanglee
12-Nov-2009, 09:00 PM
So watching the show now, and it's really great. I can see what you mean by the Obama parallels, the hope and devotion thing. It is really political subtext. I'm liking the show so far.

MoonSylver
13-Nov-2009, 06:33 AM
So watching the show now, and it's really great. I can see what you mean by the Obama parallels, the hope and devotion thing. It is really political subtext. I'm liking the show so far.

"V" & Obama...what are you all getting at....?

http://up-ship.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/barack-ovisitor.jpg

:lol:

thxleo
13-Nov-2009, 04:45 PM
"V" & Obama...what are you all getting at....?

http://up-ship.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/barack-ovisitor.jpg

:lol:

I love that picture.

shootemindehead
14-Nov-2009, 03:55 AM
Hmmm, considering that this production of 'V' is in the works long before Obama got into office (or advocated health care reform), I think some people may be reading a bit much into it.

One thing that is certain though, is in a scene that I've watched on YouTube were the head female alien is being interviewed, she clearly lays down which questions she is unwilling to answer and suggests that the reporter follow her rules to progress his career.

Clearly, that's a barbed attack on the abysmal state of political news "reporting" in the US and certainly piqued my interest in the new version of the series.

The major problem I have with the idea of the show though is that we all know what's going to happen. In the 80's show, I knew something was wrong with the vistors...I just didn't know how wrong. :stunned:

deadpunk
14-Nov-2009, 04:06 AM
The major problem I have with the idea of the show though is that we all know what's going to happen. In the 80's show, I knew something was wrong with the vistors...I just didn't know how wrong. :stunned:

The surprise is going to be impossible to replicate. :annoyed:

rongravy
14-Nov-2009, 07:09 AM
I loved the old show as a kid since it was around Return of the Jedi times. Anything simliar to Star Wars in any way, I was all over it. Lizard aliens that eat guinea pigs, other little furry animals, and possibly even us?
Heck yeah.
But I watched the pilot of the new one expecting, even hoping, to hate it. Yet I didn't. In fact it wasn't too shabby. I was surprised they showed the visitor's true face in the first episode though. I got the Obama feel a few times, but wasn't sure where they were going with it. Or if they were.
I thought Hollywood was already in his pocket anyway.
I will be sad if it's only four episodes they show and make me wait a long time for more. I remember it felt like forever between the original and its sequel the next year.
Andale.

MoonSylver
14-Nov-2009, 06:24 PM
I love that picture.

Yeah...I had a feeling you would....:lol:

thxleo
16-Nov-2009, 03:04 AM
Hmmm, considering that this production of 'V' is in the works long before Obama got into office (or advocated health care reform), I think some people may be reading a bit much into it.

The pre-production of this new 'V" started in the spring of this year, about 6 months after Obama's election win. Obama also announced he was running for the presidency in early 2007. The night he announced this he talked about universal healthcare. It's not a case of readiing a bit much into it, it's actually there. Here's a link from CNN...http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/10/obama.president/index.html

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Yeah...I had a feeling you would....:lol:

It feels right. It speaks truth. :D

shootemindehead
16-Nov-2009, 07:11 AM
There are still months of development that come before pre-production.

clanglee
16-Nov-2009, 08:55 AM
I was surprised they showed the visitor's true face in the first episode though. .

Yeah, the only real problem I have with the show is how fast they are moving it along.

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

:

Even if it's not intentional, subtext can rear it's ugly head. (Dawn :p) But a lot of the ideas of the show do tend to match a lot of the politics of today.