PDA

View Full Version : dvd has two years left?

acealive1
04-Nov-2009, 09:27 PM
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/152659;_ylt=Ar0D0hrX0j17VAN_ChKS8OE8MZA5

:lol: funny cuz of who's saying it. and cuz its not even close to true.

capncnut
04-Nov-2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah but the players will still play DVD's for many years to come. So it's not so bad in the great scheme of things.

MoonSylver
04-Nov-2009, 10:26 PM
Sounds like he's talking about JUST Netflix, not industry wide. As they say, given that BR is still in so few homes that would seem pretty silly, unless they REALLY drop the price of them.

Danny
04-Nov-2009, 11:22 PM
Sounds like he's talking about JUST Netflix, not industry wide. As they say, given that BR is still in so few homes that would seem pretty silly, unless they REALLY drop the price of them.

they are talking about just netflix, they already took dvd's out there ad's, the world will keep spinning.

MikePizzoff
05-Nov-2009, 06:57 AM
the world will keep spinning.

However, the disc shall not...

Danny
05-Nov-2009, 07:30 AM
However, the disc shall not...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/_39283655_toffs_game_203.jpg

noiyce.

bassman
05-Nov-2009, 12:06 PM
Streaming is all good and well, but owning an actual hard copy of a film should never go away....

Eyebiter
05-Nov-2009, 12:48 PM
They said the same thing about DVD's 10 years ago. Don't believe it.

Long as you can get a movie on DVD for five bucks, the format will hang around. However if they discontinue DVD and go to blue-ray format only then will the physical media of DVD become obsolete.

krakenslayer
05-Nov-2009, 01:28 PM
The reason this will not happen is that Blu-Ray is still an enthusiast's format. For High Definition video to be worthwhile, you need a large screen HD TV which is still expensive and, although many of the AV geeks on here may be surprised to hear this, the majority of people in the world would consider £400 too expensive for a TV set.

DVD won't be made obsolete until digital distribution becomes the norm but there are a lot of obstacles between here and there - firstly the ease of piracy (people, admittedly myself included, will think "why should I pay for a digital download when I can get one for free for less hassle", whereas if you buy a DVD at least you feel you are getting something physical for your money), secondly the poor broadband speeds in a lot of areas, thirdly the technical incompetence of about 40-50% of the population (look at the trouble the country's having simply switching TV from analogue to digital).

Eyebiter
05-Nov-2009, 03:41 PM
One thing that pisses me off about DVD's are the mandatory piracy warnings.

Here I shell out the twenty bucks for the DVD set only to get the US and international warning screens. Then it starts up a lame black and white Humfrey Bogart commercial reminding me not to pirate movies with no way to skip past it.

Don't the studios understand all those propaganda commercials do is upset paying customers? Being unable to fast forward at that moment wished I had the downloaded version instead of paying for it, just to skip past all that BS and watch the movie.

darth los
05-Nov-2009, 04:11 PM
Streaming is all good and well, but owning an actual hard copy of a film should never go away....

Case in point. I Downloaded the original Sonic the Hedgehog off of the x box live service a few months back. I beat the game However, there were a couple of achievements i wanted to go back and get recently. So i go to play it and it's telling me i only have the demo and to press x to unlock the full game. I figured what i had on my hard drive somehow got corrupted and i would just have to download it again. I tried about a half dozen times and nothing. So apparently I can't play sonic the Hedghog anymore even though i paid for it and i aleady have 140 gamerscore points. And that's why people are leery of Digital Distribution.

Moral of the story: If I had a hard copy this wouldn't have have happened.

:cool: