PDA

View Full Version : hayseed dixie...

Mike70
06-Nov-2009, 01:38 AM
if you haven't heard of these dudes, you ought to give them a listen. they do classic hard rock tunes bluegrass style. the results are hilarious and quite entertaining. they've done some high profile gigs in the last few years, including glastonbury and the cambridge folk festival. they also started their own festival loopallu, which takes place in ullapool, scotland and has become an annual event.

now why a band from the wilds of appalachia (they claim to be from the ficitional town of deer lick holler, appalachia but based on their accents are probably from kentucky/east tenn) has gotten so big in the UK is beyond me. i never knew that y'all like to rock it bluegrass style over there.

cYJUywl7CFw

q2gK_5pMosU

deadpunk
06-Nov-2009, 02:20 AM
I liked Ace of Spades. Thought Highway was pretty cheesed.

Ever checked out the Avett Brothers? Guy from work turned me onto them. Good solid bluegrass band.

Ghost Of War
11-Nov-2009, 12:24 PM
I saw these guys live last year, one of the best nights I've ever had.

krakenslayer
11-Nov-2009, 12:42 PM
now why a band from the wilds of appalachia (they claim to be from the ficitional town of deer lick holler, appalachia but based on their accents are probably from kentucky/east tenn) has gotten so big in the UK is beyond me. i never knew that y'all like to rock it bluegrass style over there.

I think it's because bluegrass is not otherwise popular over here, in fact, most people only know it from movies as "redneck music". In the States, there are lots of bluegrass bands, so Hayseed Dixie probably don't seem quite as different or original there as they do in the UK, where they are the one of the few bluegrass bands to actually tour. Combine that distinctiveness with recognisable songs that people can sing along to and a tongue-in-cheek attitude that fits the British sense of humour, and you have a recipe for success in the UK. :)