PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Unemployment Rate Up Higher than Expected

AcesandEights
06-Nov-2009, 03:45 PM
This blows. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aM5vmVlHcV6A&pos=1)

And what's really scary (as if an unemployment rate of 10.2% nationally isn't bad enough) is that the Underemployment rate is a record high 17.5% for last month. That's people at the shit end of their luck who are taking crap part time jobs to (maybe) get by and people who have just plain given up looking.

darth los
06-Nov-2009, 04:19 PM
This blows. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aM5vmVlHcV6A&pos=1)

And what's really scary (as if an unemployment rate of 10.2% nationally isn't bad enough) is that the Underemployment rate is a record high 17.5% for last month. That's people at the shit end of their luck who are taking crap part time jobs to (maybe) get by and people who have just plain given up looking.

Of course it fucking blows. They are so quick to tout how well the dow jones is doing but what the fuck does that have to do with people not having a jobs!?! Nothing, that's what.

All that means is that the CORPORATIONS are doing well. And if they are doing well it means that the average joe is not. So damnd near 20% of the country can't make ends meet. Isn't that nice.

:cool:

kortick
06-Nov-2009, 04:25 PM
yeah bad news for sure.

actually the rate is much higher as they
are not factoring in every detail.
closer to 30% in some states.

congress just passed another 14 week extenstion
for people.
That is unheard of, its like some people have been
on unemployment for like 18 months.

And unemployment is taxable income, so at the end
of the year u have to file to pay taxes on your non
existant job that is a government hardship program
which is the most ridiculous thing to me.

This will be a kick ass xmas season.

That is something they are afriad of too
if consumer confidence is so bad that no one
spends on xmas gifts, or if people want to have
at least a good holiday and spend money to enjoy it
and have some fun.

Me, i have no intentions in changing my xmas
plans. Ill admit im prolly doing a little better financially than
others are, but even if i wasnt i still would do what i
had to so i could enjoy the holidays.

what about anyone else? anybody here making
different plans for xmas or know someone who is?

MikePizzoff
06-Nov-2009, 04:58 PM
My girlfriend has her bachelor's degree and she can't even find a minimum wage job!!! She was laid off 2 months ago, just after we made the move into our new (and more expensive) place and the government refuses to give her unemployment (or food stamps) while she searches for a new job... so we're pretty fucking screwed and it SUCKS.

Tricky
06-Nov-2009, 05:25 PM
Hmmm Obama must be taking his time waving that magic wand everyone assumed he had a year ago....:rolleyes:

blind2d
07-Nov-2009, 01:54 AM
Yeah, let's all blame Obama, one man, for not fixing an entire nation's problems!
On a lighter note, clowns. (Cookies for those who get the reference).
Speaking of employment, I'm still looking around for my first paying job, but... no luck so far... *sigh*

MoonSylver
07-Nov-2009, 04:04 AM
On a lighter note, clowns.

http://www.delsquacho.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/john-wayne-gacy.png

(Cookies for those who get the reference).

http://summereadingame.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/chocolate-chip-cookies.jpg

mista_mo
07-Nov-2009, 07:20 AM
Just get a paper route Blind.

Tricky
07-Nov-2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah, let's all blame Obama, one man, for not fixing an entire nation's problems!

Im not blaming Obama, im more pointing out that he isnt the water into wine instant fix to all the worlds ills as the media portrayed him when he was elected last year

blind2d
07-Nov-2009, 08:37 PM
I know. Sorry. Seriously, does anyone else know where my line is from? The one about clowns? Anyone?

ProfessorChaos
07-Nov-2009, 09:45 PM
*crickets chirping*
:|

thxleo
08-Nov-2009, 12:46 AM
Im not blaming Obama, im more pointing out that he isnt the water into wine instant fix to all the worlds ills as the media portrayed him when he was elected last year

Well how could he fix everything? He's extremely busy with really important things like throwing parties at the White House, going on dates with his wife, and playing LOTS of golf. He doesn't have time to worry about other stuff right now. But remember this - he seems like he really cares, so that's good enough!

MaximusIncredulous
08-Nov-2009, 01:19 AM
I know. Sorry. Seriously, does anyone else know where my line is from? The one about clowns? Anyone?

The Tick?

blind2d
08-Nov-2009, 03:22 AM
Huzzah! Maximus gets four undead points for correctly answering! Wheeeeeee!

TheSeasonOfFire
08-Nov-2009, 10:29 PM
Well how could he fix everything? He's extremely busy with really important things like throwing parties at the White House, going on dates with his wife, and playing LOTS of golf. He doesn't have time to worry about other stuff right now. But remember this - he seems like he really cares, so that's good enough!

Seriously, all the guy does is hang out at his ranch in Crawford Texas OH WAIT THAT WAS YOUR HOMEY GEORGE BUSH. That's cool though, I'm sure if we dug far enough back you took Bush to task for taking like, the second most vacation days ever for a President (during a war nonetheless). Right?

DjfunkmasterG
08-Nov-2009, 11:42 PM
While Bush and his war allowed Pertol prices to skyrocket it also sank our economy. The entire worls economy is built ont he price of oil and if it continues to climb t will never recover, simple fact.

Everything we are going through right now are failed policies of the Bush administration and everyone expect Obama to clean it up in 3 weeks. Get fucking real, you can't undo 8 years of damage in 10 months, just not going to happen.

SRP76
09-Nov-2009, 12:04 AM
Cracks me up that the people on the tv news keep saying "the recession is over".

What are they smoking? The unemployment rate during the Great Depression fluctuated between 14% and 19%. The Great Fucking Depression.

But oh, 10+% unemployment "isn't even a recession". By whose dictionary?! Are these people even living on this planet? Doesn't seem like it; seems like they're reporting from some alternate dimension.

thxleo
09-Nov-2009, 01:20 AM
While Bush and his war allowed Pertol prices to skyrocket it also sank our economy. The entire worls economy is built ont he price of oil and if it continues to climb t will never recover, simple fact.

Everything we are going through right now are failed policies of the Bush administration and everyone expect Obama to clean it up in 3 weeks. Get fucking real, you can't undo 8 years of damage in 10 months, just not going to happen.

Sorry Gary, not this time. Bush didn't have a damn thing to do with the Obama administration tripling the deficit. Libs like you will never hold Obama accountable for anything...you will simply say it's the Bush administration's fault. I just can hear the lame excuses you will have a year from now. Real leaders don't go around saying they inherited problems, they don't make excuses. Every time I hear him he's basically saying, "It's not my fault". This is a weak, impotent administration and history will bear that out.

blind2d
09-Nov-2009, 01:29 AM
Fox News... baka.
Anywhere, perhaps the Obama admin is weak and inept, but it still beats Bush! Anyhow, who cares? The world's gonna end in a few years, so it doesn't really matter, does it? Not like we can do anything to change anything...

thxleo
09-Nov-2009, 01:31 AM
Seriously, all the guy does is hang out at his ranch in Crawford Texas OH WAIT THAT WAS YOUR HOMEY GEORGE BUSH. That's cool though, I'm sure if we dug far enough back you took Bush to task for taking like, the second most vacation days ever for a President (during a war nonetheless). Right?

Wanna change the argument to being about Bush? Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula...we are not talking about Bush. Bush didn't get his ass kissed 24/7 by the media. Bush didn't make silly, child like promises such as "Yes we can" and "Hope & change". Your apparent hero Obama, has already played more golf in his first ten months than Bush did in 8 years! And guess what? Obama is a war time president as well, yet it does not stop him from partying with Oprah and George Clooney, playing a shit load of hoops, and of course hitting the greens. Are you gonna take your messiah to task for anything?

DeadJonas190
09-Nov-2009, 06:26 AM
Wanna change the argument to being about Bush? Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula...we are not talking about Bush. Bush didn't get his ass kissed 24/7 by the media. Bush didn't make silly, child like promises such as "Yes we can" and "Hope & change". Your apparent hero Obama, has already played more golf in his first ten months than Bush did in 8 years! And guess what? Obama is a war time president as well, yet it does not stop him from partying with Oprah and George Clooney, playing a shit load of hoops, and of course hitting the greens. Are you gonna take your messiah to task for anything?

So instead of having a discussion you say "grow up" and then result to name calling. Way to contradict yourself there. Wouldn't expect anything less from you, that's why I usually ignore your posts.

Silly, child like promises, that makes me laugh, your so ignorant.

kortick
09-Nov-2009, 07:58 AM
i'd rather hear a president say 'yes we can'
and 'hope and change' instead of 'bring it on"
and lets not forget the best thing he said to
all the soldiers fighting overseas..."mission accomplished"

Yes the recession started in 2007 but the last adminstration
refused to acknowledge it or take steps to fix it.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2009/01/12/daily4.html
The stimulus package that bailed out Wall st was passed
while Bush was still in office, so his hands arent clean on
any deficit increases either.

http://costofwar.com/
tell me these arent adding to our nations finacial woes.

But no one can complain really.
You voted Bush in twice.
like they say 'you get the government you deserve'
and that goes for Obama as well.
Whatever good or bad he does we chose it.

TheSeasonOfFire
09-Nov-2009, 12:20 PM
UMAD BRO?

Obama is hardly my hero, but let's be "fair and balanced" here. You can't support someone like Bush (who spent almost 500 days at Camp David, and almost 500 days at his ranch in Crawford in his eight year Presidency) then turn around and insinuate Obama has been slack in his duties because he is averaging a day of golf per month he has been president.

If you are going to criticize, at least get grounded in reality. I know you guys are mad and bitter and all, but wow.

thxleo
09-Nov-2009, 01:54 PM
So instead of having a discussion you say "grow up" and then result to name calling. Way to contradict yourself there. Wouldn't expect anything less from you, that's why I usually ignore your posts.

Silly, child like promises, that makes me laugh, your so ignorant.

Peter Pan and Count Chocula hardly qualify as name calling. Bush was not the subject of my original post, in case you didn't notice.
Having you think of me as ignorant, well I'll take that as compliment...considering the source.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

UMAD BRO?

Obama is hardly my hero, but let's be "fair and balanced" here. You can't support someone like Bush (who spent almost 500 days at Camp David, and almost 500 days at his ranch in Crawford in his eight year Presidency) then turn around and insinuate Obama has been slack in his duties because he is averaging a day of golf per month he has been president.

If you are going to criticize, at least get grounded in reality. I know you guys are mad and bitter and all, but wow.

Who say's I'm a Bush supporter? Again, you want to change the subject. I don't have a fraction of the hatred, if you want to call it that, for Obama that you and guys like you on the left had for Bush. I wonder though if Bush thinks to himself why he even bothered going to the measures he did to protect Americans when so many of them, like you for example, hated his guts.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

i'd rather hear a president say 'yes we can'
and 'hope and change' instead of 'bring it on"
and lets not forget the best thing he said to
all the soldiers fighting overseas..."mission accomplished"

"Yes we can" and "hope & change" mean nothing. They are hollow words. The fact that so many Americans are so naive to believe for one second, that Obama actually cares about them and their welfare is unbelievable. In this day and age where everyone is cynical and doesn't believe in anything any more, how did he pull this bullshit off? It's like they put something in the drinking water or something.

Kaos
09-Nov-2009, 02:25 PM
There is nothing unexpected about the current unemployment rate. I heard estimates from economists in the double digits over a year ago for the end of 2009. For once the estimates were correct.

TheSeasonOfFire
09-Nov-2009, 11:00 PM
I suppose we can agree to disagree! All I'm saying is we need to stay fair in our "Presidents taking too much vacation" critique. If you are posting about Obama now, if you turned a blind eye to Bush it makes you kind of a hypocrite.

Yes, I disagreed with most of what Bush did, but I am not so ignorantly blinded by hatred for the guy that I will blast every single thing he did, nor will I ignore the good things he accomplished such as fighting AIDS in Africa on a massive scale and putting loads more money into community health care centers. Not to mention getting troops into Afghanistan quickly to put Al-Qaeda on the ropes, though that effort got derailed a bit by the Iraq invasion.

Wooley
15-Nov-2009, 10:04 AM
On a lighter note, clowns.

Nothing light about clowns, man. They're creepy. Creepy, creepy clowns.
Can't sleep, clown will eat me. Can't sleep, clown will eat me...

blind2d
15-Nov-2009, 07:49 PM
Ah Wooley, the rain is impairing your vision, I see. For this reference, watch The Tick: The Animated Series Episode 1. Seriously, I'm sick of people thinking clowns are scary. Why not ballerinas? Why aren't people afraid of them?