PDA

View Full Version : just bulldoze the joint and be done...

Mike70
06-Nov-2009, 11:11 PM
the house that hitler was born in has come up for sale for £1.9 million. the town council is worried that some right wing group will buy it and turn it into some sort of place of pilgrimage for lunatics. they don't have the cash to buy it and i think that they have a pretty valid concern.

my question is: why is this place still standing? why hasn't it been razed and quick lime sown into the soil? nothing associated with that monster should be left intact for kooks to gravitate toward.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8347438.stm

krakenslayer
06-Nov-2009, 11:21 PM
It's a site of major historical importance. Personally I think it should probably be kept as it is and made into some kind of museum: kinda like Auschwitz or those places.

Definitely think there's a danger of it becoming a fascist Mecca, though. I'm surprised it isn't already, to be honest.

Danny
06-Nov-2009, 11:31 PM
its just a house made out of inanimate brcks and stone, hitler was a disturbed man who died a long time ago, game over. you yourself are giving this place some sort of mystique and imbibed power through relation to a man who lived there, just a man. i can see the worry, but just because theres houses pedophiles or murders or rapists have lived in doesn't mean the house is evil, thats retarded on the most basic level. They wouldnt worry about stuff like this if they hadnt viewed it as something special and of note to begin with.

Mike70
06-Nov-2009, 11:34 PM
It's a site of major historical importance. Personally I think it should probably be kept as it is and made into some kind of museum: kinda like Auschwitz or those places.

that's where we differ. i don't think that the house where he was born is of any significance. it is simply a house that hitler lived in and nothing more.

the other places have historical significance because of the gruesome nature of the events that took place there. they should stand for all time so that people remember. the house where hitler lived as an infant/child has no such connection and means absolutely nothing to me. personally, i'd like to see it burned down and replaced by a park dedicated to the people who were murdered by this ogre and the people who died to rid the world of him.

deadpunk
07-Nov-2009, 01:18 AM
Doze it. Build a holocaust memorial on site.

Can't they declare it a Historic Landmark and absorb as town property? Thats what towns in the U.S. frequently do.

kortick
07-Nov-2009, 05:26 AM
what a place to have a keg party.

could u imagine it?

u could do pretty much what u wanted
all you would hear from someone is
'we don't allow that behavior in this house....errr
yes we do, nevermind'

and give out all defective condoms and see
how many unwanted pregnancies u can get.
later some kid can say 'my mom got pregnant
with me in Hitlers coat closet'

blind2d
07-Nov-2009, 08:39 PM
its just a house. i can see the worry, but just because theres houses pedophiles or murders or rapists have lived in doesn't mean the house is evil, thats retarded on the most basic level.
Never been to Amityville, have you?

Philly_SWAT
08-Nov-2009, 12:22 AM
its just a house made out of inanimate brcks and stone, hitler was a disturbed man who died a long time ago, game over. you yourself are giving this place some sort of mystique and imbibed power through relation to a man who lived there, just a man. i can see the worry, but just because theres houses pedophiles or murders or rapists have lived in doesn't mean the house is evil, thats retarded on the most basic level. They wouldnt worry about stuff like this if they hadnt viewed it as something special and of note to begin with.I agree with you that there is no "evil" inbred into the brick and stone of the house, that is ridiculous. However, it is legitimate to think a bunch of right wing fanatics would buy the house, and use its aura, whether real or perceived (perceived in this case) to bolster their own fanatical beliefs. Not a bad idea to just tear it down.

Physical buildings can in fact take on a mystique....such as the Monroeville Mall.

acealive1
08-Nov-2009, 12:49 AM
they should leave this house up to remind the skin heads and nazis that they're days have been over for 40 plus years.

Danny
08-Nov-2009, 01:47 PM
they should leave this house up to remind the skin heads and nazis that they're days have been over for 40 plus years.

turn it into a german hello kitty store, /problem.

Tricky
08-Nov-2009, 05:15 PM
To be honest I dont think there will be any more holocaust memorials made now the Lisbon treaty is ratified, I think its more likely the EU will try to quietly forget those memorials to the ugly history of the previous attempt to unite europe, plus worryingly anti-semitism seems to be on the gradual rise across europe again... :(

acealive1
08-Nov-2009, 07:05 PM
turn it into a german hello kitty store, /problem.

:lol::lol:

SRP76
08-Nov-2009, 09:10 PM
What's with that price? I'm pretty sure Hitler didn't live in a 30-room mansion.

Or does it come with about 500 acres of land, or something?

AcesandEights
09-Nov-2009, 03:31 PM
Hitlerland? :eek:

Well, if one over-enthusiastic, verbose, dictatorial anti-Semite can have Disneyland named after himself, why not?

EvilNed
09-Nov-2009, 05:58 PM
Hitler, the most influental man of the 20th century. Monster, sure, but we need to remember him and what he did. Keep the house standing.

darth los
09-Nov-2009, 06:26 PM
I agree with you that there is no "evil" inbred into the brick and stone of the house, that is ridiculous. However, it is legitimate to think a bunch of right wing fanatics would buy the house, and use its aura, whether real or perceived (perceived in this case) to bolster their own fanatical beliefs. Not a bad idea to just tear it down.

Physical buildings can in fact take on a mystique....such as the Monroeville Mall.

Again, from a legal standpoint, what right do we have to tell anyone that they can't buy a property simply because we don't agree with what it might be used for in the future? (as long as it's legal mind you)

Always remember, the pendulum swings both ways.

:cool: