PDA

View Full Version : Is this religious insult?

kortick
09-Nov-2009, 08:14 AM
On the show Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David
goes to the bathroom in a Catholic home and
splatters urine on a picture of Jesus; he doesn't
clean it off. Then a Catholic woman goes to the
bathroom, sees the picture and concludes that
Jesus is crying. She then summons her mother and
the two of them fall to their knees in prayer.

Larry David is Jewish and people are claiming
it is an insult to Christians, as he would never
piss on a picture of Moses or one of Mohammad
for fear of retribution.

Some people are saying that if Jews feel they can
engage in this type of behavior then they cant
claim anti semitism whenever being picked on for
being Jewish.

I thought it was hysterical watching them pray
to his piss running down the picture thinking that
Jesus was crying, but others are offended.

Is it harmless humor, or is pissing on Jesus
for a laugh going too far.

Trencher
09-Nov-2009, 08:49 AM
I dont think that it was going to far but it was obviously done with ill will.

bassman
09-Nov-2009, 12:06 PM
I think people just like to complain. That episode was hilarious. If they want to walk away angry about it then they're just sad, sad people.

Next they'll complain that the numbing condom episode is sexist because he wore it backwards and numbed Cheryl's vagina.:rolleyes:

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2009, 12:14 PM
By the sounds of it, it's clearly a typical Larry David faux-pas. You always hear about statues of Jesus or Mary or whatever crying, but you don't hear about that for Moses, so it's obvious why the mistake would happen.

Wasn't Jesus a Jew though? I'm an atheist though, so...

AcesandEights
09-Nov-2009, 02:09 PM
I think people just like to complain.

Couldn't agree more. People are way too fucking sensitive, but I'm sure there's tons of shit I'm too sensitive about myself.

*Shrug*

deadpunk
09-Nov-2009, 02:33 PM
If thats the worst thing you ever laugh at, you're a better man than me. :lol:

darth los
09-Nov-2009, 03:10 PM
Couldn't agree more. People are way too fucking sensitive, but I'm sure there's tons of shit I'm too sensitive about myself.

*Shrug*

I said it in the other day in the dante's inferno thread about people protesting the killing of children in the game. There's always going to be some group who is outraged by the content of certain media.

If we bend to the pressures of every interest group we would never get decent entertainment.

:cool:

SymphonicX
10-Nov-2009, 08:04 AM
It's not an attack on Christianity though is it? It's an attack on the followers of Christianity - ie: those too stupid to realise they're praying to piss!

Any retribution would have to be aimed at the same context - which happens a lot...look at that Akhmed the Terrorist thing, and all the anti-extremism comedy that's out there, that highlights the idiocy of these sheep, focusing on how they use their religion to wage their political agenda

blind2d
11-Nov-2009, 02:55 AM
I don't pray to piss... Or pictures of Jesus, for that matter. I think this is the reason God said no idols or graven images... because people do this stuff. He's very wise, that God. Doesn't miss a trick. That's one of the main qualms I have with the Catholics, really. And the whole "confessing sins to fellow sinner" thing. With the priests, and such. You know? It doesn't make sense. Just tell God, he's always listening...

clanglee
11-Nov-2009, 03:14 AM
Not even that original a concept really. . .anyone remember this little bit of provocative art?

http://www.uniurb.it/Filosofia/bibliografie/Bataille_GiuliaFrattini/images/Serrano%20Andres,%20Piss%20Christ%201987.jpg

Ahhh. . the Piss Christ, where class and art meet.:rolleyes:

strayrider
11-Nov-2009, 06:13 AM
Some people are saying that if Jews feel they can
engage in this type of behavior then they cant
claim anti semitism whenever being picked on for
being Jewish.

Jews can still claim anti-semitism; Larry David can no longer. (whoever the heck he is)

:D

-stray-