PDA

View Full Version : Straight to DVD in the UK?

krakenslayer
16-Nov-2009, 11:10 AM
This doesn't look good for a theatrical release:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/12307158/Survival-of-The-Dead/Product.html

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/12307493/Survival-of-The-Dead/Product.html

:(:(:(

Obviously, I'm sure that release date is far enough in the future to be subject to change and it's even possible that Optimum could put together a limited theatrical release for January or early February to promote the DVD.

Hell, if nothing else, at least on 22/02/2010 we'll get to see the damn thing at last. ;)

As a side note, Blu-Ray users should get their pre-orders in now, because it looks like the BR is going cheaper than the DVD at the moment! :eek:

MinionZombie
16-Nov-2009, 12:33 PM
Hopefully it's gonna get a proper DVD release, like Diary got - which was also put out by Optimum. Diary wasn't too great as a movie, but the DVD release was rather spiffing. Hopefully the DVD of Survival will be equally noiiice.

And I reckon I'll enjoy the film itself more than I did Diary.

bassman
16-Nov-2009, 07:03 PM
Obviously I'm not in the UK, but I think they should just put it to dvd and be done with it. Most people couldn't see Diary in the US because it was on about one screen in each state, so screw that noise this time around and just release it straight to dvd.

It just seems like a waste of time to give it such a small theatrical release. Put it out there all at once and collect your money...

MinionZombie
16-Nov-2009, 07:51 PM
I want the movie, and I want an awesome DVD package. :)

capncnut
17-Nov-2009, 02:35 AM
Precisely what I predicted btw.

Danny
17-Nov-2009, 02:37 AM
id love to see a romero film on the big screen but im pretty damn sure this is a straight to dvd flick.

MinionZombie
17-Nov-2009, 10:04 AM
You didn't see Land on the big screen?

I did, and also checked out Diary on the big screen too. Where've you been?

Danny
17-Nov-2009, 07:07 PM
You didn't see Land on the big screen?

I did, and also checked out Diary on the big screen too. Where've you been?

had no job when land came out, diary wasnt shown near me when it came out. rad huh?

krakenslayer
17-Nov-2009, 07:18 PM
I've seen all of them except Night on the big screen, so I was hoping to catch this one too. :(

And it's more than that. We all moan about how Romero never gets a chance to do anything other than a low-budget Dead movie these days, well the fact of this latest movie, in his supposed "flagship" series, going straight-to-video pretty much nails the coffin shut for any hopes we might have of anyone handing him an interesting non-Dead project ever again. :(

Neil
18-Nov-2009, 06:11 PM
As a side note, Blu-Ray users should get their pre-orders in now, because it looks like the BR is going cheaper than the DVD at the moment! :eek:

Huh?!

krakenslayer
18-Nov-2009, 06:41 PM
Huh?!

Cost to pre-order the DVD: £11.99
Cost to pre-order the Blu-Ray: £10.99

Usually DVD is a lot cheaper than Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray will probably be more expensive than that when it comes out in the shops. Ergo, Blu-Ray users should pre-order now while it's cheap and get a better deal. Make sense? :D

Danny
18-Nov-2009, 06:49 PM
Cost to pre-order the DVD: £11.99
Cost to pre-order the Blu-Ray: £10.99

Usually DVD is a lot cheaper than Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray will probably be more expensive than that when it comes out in the shops. Ergo, Blu-Ray users should pre-order now while it's cheap and get a better deal. Make sense? :D

i dunno, ive noticed recent things like watchman on blu ray for £17, but on dvd for £19.99 and more than one store does that type of stuff lately. though i assume its got something to do with holiday shopping y'know?
i mean sure i buy em 2 for a tenner sometimes form hmv, but blu-ray getting cheaper than dvd, if i hadnt seen it i wouldn't've believed it.

-That said i dont even remember what my last VHS tape was, or the cost. damn thats wierd. i'll still see casettes as valuable as cd's, but VHS is like typewriters compared to laptops, just "why?".

krakenslayer
18-Nov-2009, 06:59 PM
i dunno, ive noticed recent things like watchman on blu ray for £17, but on dvd for £19.99 and more than one store does that type of stuff lately. though i assume its got something to do with holiday shopping y'know?
i mean sure i buy em 2 for a tenner sometimes form hmv, but blu-ray getting cheaper than dvd, if i hadnt seen it i wouldn't've believed it.

-That said i dont even remember what my last VHS tape was, or the cost. damn thats wierd. i'll still see casettes as valuable as cd's, but VHS is like typewriters compared to laptops, just "why?".

Possibly the Blu-Ray forum (Sony, etc.) are subsidising it in an attempt to get more people to take up the format.

The last VHS tapes produced at the end of their lifespan cost about £5-6 new, even though DVD is/was cheaper to produce. But then DVD offered much more above what VHS offered, compared with the somewhat slimmer gap between VHS and Blu-Ray, so DVD didn't have to struggle very hard against VHS, often even at twice or thrice the price.

Wow! That rhymed. A lot.

DrSiN
19-Nov-2009, 05:22 PM
For a fringe movie like this I'd prefer a DVD/Bluray release that get's it here sooner rather than have to find some little theater showing it.

capncnut
03-Dec-2009, 11:28 AM
It's official. Saw a little snippet on Zone Horror last night saying that Survival Of The Dead is going straight to DVD in February 2010. No theatrical release on the cards, I'm afraid.

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2009, 12:56 PM
It's official. Saw a little snippet on Zone Horror last night saying that Survival Of The Dead is going straight to DVD in February 2010. No theatrical release on the cards, I'm afraid.
On the one hand, I get my mits on it straight away. On the other, it's a shame as I would have definitely seen it in the cinema - show my support and all that. Plus it would be nice to see if with an audience.

Hopefully it gets a really cool DVD release, full-on double disc treatment and that like Diary got (a very good double disc package all-said).

bassman
03-Dec-2009, 01:08 PM
This zone horror didn't happen to mention the R1 release, did it?

capncnut
03-Dec-2009, 01:55 PM
This zone horror didn't happen to mention the R1 release, did it?
Fraid not, matey.

It's out on the 22nd Feb in the UK, retails for £15.99 (although online you can get it for roughly a tenner) and, unfortunately for MZ, is a solo disc package. Even Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Dead-DVD-George-Romero/dp/B002VD5S6K) have it up for pre-order now.

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2009, 04:56 PM
Fraid not, matey.

It's out on the 22nd Feb in the UK, retails for £15.99 (although online you can get it for roughly a tenner) and, unfortunately for MZ, is a solo disc package. Even Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Dead-DVD-George-Romero/dp/B002VD5S6K) have it up for pre-order now.
Are there any actual details about the package yet though? I've seen many DVDs get pimped in the very early pre-order stages (before packing has even been posted on the sites), and then the full range of packages will get revealed. So I'm holding out hope.

It's Optimum again, and they did the 2-disc Diary release (as well as a single disc).

capncnut
03-Dec-2009, 05:01 PM
Details and features are yet to be announced but I highly doubt a straight-to-DVD release will get a two disc package.

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2009, 05:25 PM
Details and features are yet to be announced but I highly doubt a straight-to-DVD release will get a two disc package.
Straight to DVD for any old bugger - but this is GAR.

Even "Colin" has got a double disc version coming out, and that was made for £45 quid (and a lot of favours and freebies).

krakenslayer
03-Dec-2009, 06:43 PM
This really, really fucking sucks. You realise what this means.

Straight to DVD = Romero is over, finished

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Kiss goodbye to all your hopes of GAR doing anything other than low-rent, made-to-order Dead films for the forseeable.

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2009, 07:42 PM
This really, really fucking sucks. You realise what this means.

Straight to DVD = Romero is over, finished

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Kiss goodbye to all your hopes of GAR doing anything other than low-rent, made-to-order Dead films for the forseeable.
I think the former is a bit over-done personally ... the latter has been a danger since Diary was announced, and therefore nothing new.

GAR does need to be allowed to do something other than zombie flicks again, I mean heck, most of his movies aren't zombie flicks.

Hopefully it'll go theatrical in other countries, but it is a bit disappointing us Brits won't get to see it on the big screen. No doubt this would be based on Diary's numbers in the cinema - which were no doubt very low. Brit cinema takings are always much smaller anyway, but for a GAR film they'd be very small. Hell, even fairly big films like The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (Heath Ledger's last movie) only brought in about £2 million.

Ghost Of War
04-Dec-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm fucking gutted it's not getting a cinema release here. I went to see Land and Diary with my cousin in the cinema, and was really looking forward to this too. Ah well, I'll pre order the blu ray and keep my fingers crossed it's got tons of good extras.

MinionZombie
04-Dec-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm gonna hold off on pre-ordering until I see if a double disc is announced (or if not, see what the single disc has).

I'll definitely buy it, but I just wanna know what I'm pre-ordering first.

capncnut
07-Dec-2009, 10:51 AM
No plans for a major theatrical release full stop, I'm afraid. It seems this film has shot itself in the foot as the upcoming European DVD release has essentially killed off a potential cinema viewer percentage. It may be shown in a handful of US theatres though so keep an eye out.

DVD details expected imminently along with US and Asian release dates.

MinionZombie
07-Dec-2009, 12:08 PM
No plans for a major theatrical release full stop, I'm afraid. It seems this film has shot itself in the foot as the upcoming European DVD release has essentially killed off a potential cinema viewer percentage. It may be shown in a handful of US theatres though so keep an eye out.

DVD details expected imminently along with US and Asian release dates.
*fingers crossed for proper DVD treatment*

jded
08-Dec-2009, 08:15 PM
This sucks balls! Big shweaty balls. Like with Diary it was here a day and gone the next, or so it seemed. It may have actually been a whole week but I had caught it late and never was able to see it in theatres. I swear if this is his last one there will be hell to pay.
Oh yes. There will be blood.

capncnut
11-Dec-2009, 06:06 AM
March 15th is the official DVD release date. Various ads popping up here and there on the internet and there's a piece over at Bloody Disgusting about it. US multi-region DVD owners who want an early peek should order as it's been said that a US release might be a fair way off.

MinionZombie
11-Dec-2009, 09:53 AM
March 15th is the official DVD release date. Various ads popping up here and there on the internet and there's a piece over at Bloody Disgusting about it. US multi-region DVD owners who want an early peek should order as it's been said that a US release might be a fair way off.
Hopefully then the R2 will be a better DVD than the R1 as well. I don't wanna order it up and get screwed on extras. It's why I own so many R1 DVDs.

March 15th eh? Little longer to wait than originally thought, but well ... at least we know we'll get to see it soon. Shame about the cinema, but at least we're getting to see it. Hopefully it'll do good business.