PDA

View Full Version : My comic book company

sandrock74
16-Nov-2009, 02:08 PM
I hope this is the correct thread for this. I just wanted to let any comic book fans here know that my company had a nice article posted on the site comicattack.net this past weekend. I've been sort of toiling away in anonymity for well over a year now, so it was awesome to be asked by someone to run an article on my labor of love.

The link to the article: http://comicattack.net/2009/11/enterreliantpublishing/

I just wanted to take a moment to celebrate. :lol: Thanks for the indulgence!

deadpunk
16-Nov-2009, 02:55 PM
Awesome stuff!

Philly_SWAT
16-Nov-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah, DEFINITELY awesome stuff!

sandrock74
16-Nov-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys :)

Philly_SWAT
16-Nov-2009, 09:36 PM
I am curious....

I am not in the comic book industry, and although I like comic books, I havent bought any in quite a few years, unless graphic novels count. Do they still have ads in them? Do yours have ads in them, and if so, do you make a fair amount on ad revenue compared to sales revenue? I ask for two reasons, one out of pure curiousity, and two, I know some publications give free subscriptions in order to have more of a subscription base to impress advertisers. If that is the case, I would be more than willing to volunteer! :)

Danny
16-Nov-2009, 09:55 PM
I am curious....

I am not in the comic book industry, and although I like comic books, I havent bought any in quite a few years, unless graphic novels count. Do they still have ads in them? Do yours have ads in them, and if so, do you make a fair amount on ad revenue compared to sales revenue? I ask for two reasons, one out of pure curiousity, and two, I know some publications give free subscriptions in order to have more of a subscription base to impress advertisers. If that is the case, I would be more than willing to volunteer! :)

a typical marvel 24 page issue has at least 5 of the pages as adverts, once i got one that was 12 pages of ad's for marvel movies and 9 pages of story.

sandrock74
17-Nov-2009, 01:35 AM
I am curious....

I might have one or two ads per issue, thats about it. I'm too small to attract any sort of line of advertisers. As long as I can get pre-production costs covered per issue (so it all pays for itself), then all is good. I also don't have any subscriptions, it's sold online (and soon in stores).

I'm a veteran of the newspaper business, so I know that its "normal" to lie about circulation numbers to get more money out of advertisers (which I always felt was scummy to do), but I have NEVER heard of anyone hooking up subscriptions for free...unless it was a winner of a contest or something.

deadpunk
17-Nov-2009, 02:39 AM
Your forum doesn't like me. It insists I already have an account registered with you, which I do not. :)

Now...I'm curious. Do you contribute any of the art or scripting to these comics? Your site doesn't give a credits list.

Thunder City looks interesting. :cool:

sandrock74
17-Nov-2009, 03:56 AM
Your forum doesn't like me. It insists I already have an account registered with you, which I do not. :)

Now...I'm curious. Do you contribute any of the art or scripting to these comics? Your site doesn't give a credits list.

Thunder City looks interesting. :cool:

It says you are registered already? That's odd. You should still be able to see stuff on the forum, but you can only post if you're a member. If it keeps giving you troubles, let me know. If you are a member, as the Admin, I can do something about it.

I plot, draw, ink, letter, color (the covers), and maintain the website/forum, as well as act as the publisher for the titles. Whew! I get tired when I think about it all! LOL

I'm glad you think Thunder City looks interesting. I need an outlet for my inner superhero fanboy!

deadpunk
17-Nov-2009, 12:23 PM
I'll try and register again.

:)

Philly_SWAT
17-Nov-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm a veteran of the newspaper business, so I know that its "normal" to lie about circulation numbers to get more money out of advertisers (which I always felt was scummy to do), but I have NEVER heard of anyone hooking up subscriptions for free...unless it was a winner of a contest or something.
Hmmm, I am also a veteran of the newspaper business. Already layed off once. Anyway, yeah I have seen more than once someone I know (including myself) that got a FREE subscription to a major magazine. And when I say free, I mean free, not "do this thing first THEN get a free subscription", etc. just free. Now they werent advertising "HEY JUST WRITE US AND GET A FREE SUBSCRIPTION" or anything like that, it just kinda happened. But even at the newspaper, there were/are all kinds of things that ABC says are OK to count as paid subscriptions, that seem very dubious.

AcesandEights
17-Nov-2009, 01:40 PM
Man,. comic books and RPGs were my childhood; keep at it Sand! Glad to see some good attention coming your way.

sandrock74
17-Nov-2009, 02:13 PM
Hmmm, I am also a veteran of the newspaper business. Already layed off once. Anyway, yeah I have seen more than once someone I know (including myself) that got a FREE subscription to a major magazine. And when I say free, I mean free, not "do this thing first THEN get a free subscription", etc. just free. Now they werent advertising "HEY JUST WRITE US AND GET A FREE SUBSCRIPTION" or anything like that, it just kinda happened. But even at the newspaper, there were/are all kinds of things that ABC says are OK to count as paid subscriptions, that seem very dubious.

Yeah, I worked in the newspaper world for six years before I was laid off. It was my first "real" job I had (I started when I was 21). When I saw all of the outright lying involved about circulation numbers and how that was used to essentially overcharge the advertisers, I grew discontented fairly quick. :( That was my first lifes lesson about how common misinformation and lying is acceptable in the workplace. Bah.

By the way, thanks Aces!