PDA

View Full Version : 'The Prisoner.' Seems Lost.

wayzim
16-Nov-2009, 03:26 PM
Of all the series to be reimagined, the cult TV show is one easily updated to serve the present decade, with all the post 9/11 paranoia.

Unfortunately the confused mishmash which debuted last night on AMC is anything but on target.

Jim Caviezel, as the mysterious 6, wakes up in a wide seemingly empty desert.
This starts a jumbled confusing two hour pilot in which he encounters an old man (dressed appropriately in the garb of the original show ) escaping from persons unknown, and a place from which there's no escape.
Oddly obligating for someone with no clear memories, our hero trudges off in the direction from which the escapee came from only to discover a village(The Village. )
Once in, he finds the last person to see the old man alive, a pretty waitress named 530 who tries to warn him off but too late.
What follows is a series of failed escape attempts, one of which is foiled by a poor man's CGI rover, some awkward dream sequences which let us know that number 6 was somekind of lower rung Jack Ryan who recently resigned, cat and mouse games with a rather tyrannical number 2, phoned in by the esteemed Ian McKellan, and what amounts to a likely lame duck series.

Will probably catch the next installment, but I don't hold much hope for this remake. Too bad.

Wayne Z
"We want information ... Information. "

bassman
16-Nov-2009, 03:31 PM
This series lost my viewing because of the insane advertising. When I first heard about it I was kind of interested, but after being bombarded with non-stop ads on AMC I feel like I don't even care or need to see it. Seriously....those commercials make me angry now.

I guess too much publicity can be a bad thing. I still may watch an episode if I ever catch it while it's on...

Danny
16-Nov-2009, 04:28 PM
i love the origional and how it explained nothing, but the internets riff with lostfags putting it down as a "rip-off" so i dont think it will do as well as it should.

oh well, still got universe to watch, but sci-fi aint as hot as it use to be.

course that was back when we had a sci-fi channel, not syfy-lliss, the world this nerd grew up in is dead.:lol:

Skippy911sc
16-Nov-2009, 04:51 PM
I was lucky to catch a bunch of the old Prisoner episode on IFC a week earlier and then started to watch this new version. I am still holding out hope...but the ideas involved are...well... a little over the top. Loved the original and this one is a bit week.

C5NOTLD
16-Nov-2009, 07:29 PM
The original is classic. I was disappointed in the AMC version.
Best part of the AMC broadcast was a local commercial for The Village shopping center. Maybe I live in the Village and didn't know it...:eek:

I'm not a number!!

clanglee
16-Nov-2009, 07:54 PM
Dammit, I hate to hear this. I'm gonna watch it tonight. . .and try to keep a clear mind going in. But, still, it's disappointing to hear that the show ain't all that it's cracked up to be.

clanglee
17-Nov-2009, 10:21 AM
Ok, watched it. . . it's disjointed as all hell, but I think it's supposed to be. I'm liking it so far.

Skippy911sc
17-Nov-2009, 03:40 PM
I felt like I should have taken the other pill...the blue one or the red one... can't remember. It was very much the mind set of the Matrix. Just not as cool. Maybe more like the Matrix Reloaded or Revolutions.

deadpunk
17-Nov-2009, 04:04 PM
I never have time to devote to a series. However, I did want to catch an episode or two of this to see how Caviezel fares. Anyone?

blind2d
17-Nov-2009, 11:41 PM
Remake? Another one? Seriously? Gah.... *gargles bile* Okay, give me the blue pill... no, the blue one... yes, I want to live in a dream world! At least then I won't get killed by a crazy robot thing! Probably! Magneto, eh? Versus Cyclops? Again? Is there anything original on tv anymore?! I need a relax... where's rick when you need him?

MoonSylver
18-Nov-2009, 01:27 AM
where's rick when you need him?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/surete/f4a7082d551ea6fca276b2761a8851ed284.gifhttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3662/3595731872_209245822c_o.gifhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/surete/f4a7082d551ea6fca276b2761a8851ed284.gifhttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3662/3595731872_209245822c_o.gif

blind2d
18-Nov-2009, 11:33 AM
Ahhhhh, much better!

wayzim
19-Nov-2009, 12:03 PM
I felt like I should have taken the other pill...the blue one or the red one... can't remember. It was very much the mind set of the Matrix. Just not as cool. Maybe more like the Matrix Reloaded or Revolutions.

Exactly, as I finally wrapped up the mini series yesterday. As soon as I saw the holes, both literal and figuratively, in the Village, I realized where they would ultimately go with the story. Almost a paint by number, which, if done correctly can be pretty but is still unimaginative.
It was an OK production.

Wayne Z
Number 6: "The whole world as The Village? "
Number2: "That is my hope. What's Yours? "
Number 6: "I'd like to be the First Man in The Moon. "
From the original 1968 show.