PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting video from China

thxleo
17-Nov-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm a vegetarian and I hate stories on how animals are treated on farms and in slaughterhouses. I know it's "just a fish", but this is very cruel.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/17/eating-a-deep-fried-fish_n_360576.html

krakenslayer
17-Nov-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm a vegetarian.

Really? Wow! I'd never have imagined that. I mean nothing at all offensive by that, thxleo, I really don't. My gf is a veggie too. But it's just that you sometimes come across really macho-like and somehow not the "caring type" who you'd expect to be a vegetarian. But that's not a bad thing, one way or the other, it's just somehow unexpected, if you know what I mean.

It just goes to show how easily one makes unconscious mini-judgements about people without even realising it, and how often they are wrong!

As for the video: frying and eating it alive is just unnecessarily cruel. :barf:

axlish
17-Nov-2009, 11:26 PM
The two times I have eaten with thx, he has ordered cheezy fries :)

blind2d
17-Nov-2009, 11:27 PM
Ditto on both points, kraken. That's what i like about you...
To quote Kurt: It's okay to eat fish, 'cause they don't have any feelings.
This is pretty messed up to me, though. Jeez... I'll never understand the Chinese... Koreans and Japanese, okay, but not Chinese...

thxleo
18-Nov-2009, 12:57 AM

LMAO Yes indeed! I'm surprised you remember that, Eric. I do love cheese fries. :)

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Really? Wow! I'd never have imagined that. I mean nothing at all offensive by that, thxleo, I really don't. My gf is a veggie too. But it's just that you sometimes come across really macho-like and somehow not the "caring type" who you'd expect to be a vegetarian. But that's not a bad thing, one way or the other, it's just somehow unexpected, if you know what I mean.

It just goes to show how easily one makes unconscious mini-judgements about people without even realising it, and how often they are wrong!

As for the video: frying and eating it alive is just unnecessarily cruel. :barf:

That's interesting that you thought that about me, but I understand what you are saying. I'm just opinionated, that's all. I don't consider myself to be "macho" in the least. I have a soft spot in my heart for those who can't defend themselves - children, the elderly, and animals(most at least -stay far away from me grizzly bears). I don't understand how some people in this world can be cruel to defenseless creatures, whether they be an animal or a human. I donate to St. Jude's hospital, the Western PA humane society, Wounded Warrior project, the Salvation Army, just to name a few. Now, I'm not saying that to boast or pander for approval. I just believe in trying to help if I can, even if it's only a little bit.
Thanks for the post!

capncnut
18-Nov-2009, 01:06 AM
I have never aligned meat eating with macho-ness. Wimps can eat burgers too. :lol:

I do my best to not eat meat every single day. I really like vegetarian options and some of the substitute meat is really rather tasty. I was vegetarian for over three years but the smell of BLT's from the cafe next to where I worked was just too much for me one day. But some of the veggie stuff that rubbed off on me has still stuck.

As for the video, I don't know what these people are trying to prove. A good friend of mine (who is a chef ) invited me to his workplace one afternoon and he was boiling lobsters alive in a pan! Those things actually shriek and it was really quite offensive.

SRP76
18-Nov-2009, 01:16 AM
Why do people assume plants aren't harmed when they're ripped from the earth by the thousands? Just because plants don't make noise?

No, I'm not bullshitting. You can theorize and think you know the nervous systems of plant life (which is what every fruit, vegetable, and tuber comes from), but nobody really knows if/what a plant "feels".

No matter what you eat, it's getting mass processed (unless you produced it yourself, only enough for you).

deadpunk
18-Nov-2009, 02:23 AM
I really expected watch that, make a smart ass comment ad move on... But, omfg. :hurl:

That was disturbing. A deep fryer generally runs between 325 degrees and 500 degrees, depending on what you're cooking... Like most of you probably did, I spent an illustrious career working in the food service as I finished high school. I've been burned a million times, some light, some moderate, some that required a trip to the ER. Everyone single one of them hurt like hell.

Can you imagine what kind of pain that fucking fish is in? :mad::rant:

And really, if you're the sick kind of fuck that can enjoy that meal... Listen, I could eat it. If I had to. But, I sure as shit wouldn't be able to enjoy it! Especially not enough to order the shit in public!!!!!

If you ordered that and you were sitting next to me, you'd be wearing my food when it came.

:shifty:I can't believe how much that bothered me...:shifty:

Exatreides
18-Nov-2009, 03:12 AM
I enjoy a lot of Vegetarian and even Vegan cuisine with my friends, but I really don't care about where my food comes from.

If we weren't supposed to eat an animal it would have evolved away out of us eating it.

Leute uber alles :p

Don't you normally gut a fish before serving it? You know with out any blood flow the brain dies... The fish has already been dead and is probably(I'd guess) just responding to random nerve firings.

Just like eating a chicken with his head cut off.

deadpunk
18-Nov-2009, 03:41 AM
I enjoy a lot of Vegetarian and even Vegan cuisine with my friends, but I really don't care about where my food comes from.

I normally could care less where my food comes from either. But, I don't generally want it breathing on the table while I eat it. :dead:

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

I'm actually glad the embedding is disabled on this one...

Eating snakes and fish alive. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYUqfgfpjRw)

:blood:

Exatreides
18-Nov-2009, 03:57 AM
The Snake was killed pretty humanely with its head cut off right away. The resulting jigglingness was just random nerve firings.

Which is funny since a lot of snakes kill their pray with venom that takes minutes or even hours to work, or crush them to death through constriction.

Sucks for the fish though. Must have been Mussolini in a past life.

DubiousComforts
18-Nov-2009, 04:06 AM
I'm a vegetarian and I hate stories on how animals are treated on farms and in slaughterhouses.
:thumbsup:

If we weren't supposed to eat an animal it would have evolved away out of us eating it.
First of all, that is nonsense, and secondly, you should care about where your food comes from because there's a good chance it's raised in feces and being kept alive on drugs which you in turn are putting into your body just so that some rich prick being funded by huge government handouts to keep the price of hamburger cheap can make an extra nickel profit.

Animal husbandry in the United States of America sure ain't being done out of respect for your intelligence as a consumer.

Exatreides
18-Nov-2009, 04:27 AM
How is it nonsense? We evolved as a species from slaughtering Animals, be it on the African Plains or from driving herds of buffalo over cliffs to fall hundreds of feet to their death in very early examples of industrial scale slaughter of Animals.

There is even theories on how man would run Animals to the point of exhaustion just so we could beat them to death with rocks.

Just like plants evolved defense mechanisms ranging from symbiotic relationships with other animals for defense to full on poison and the occasion animal eating plant. We don't run around eating deadly jelly fish.

It's all about moderation in what you eat obviously.

krakenslayer
18-Nov-2009, 11:59 AM
How is it nonsense? We evolved as a species from slaughtering Animals, be it on the African Plains or from driving herds of buffalo over cliffs to fall hundreds of feet to their death in very early examples of industrial scale slaughter of Animals.

There is even theories on how man would run Animals to the point of exhaustion just so we could beat them to death with rocks.

And your point is? The same distant ancestors used to drag their women into caves and rape them, sacrifice their children to various gods and eat each other's flesh, and they also wiped out the mammoth and other species. It true that we do have these activities to thank for their survival and our existence today, but that doesn't make them appropriate for a modern civilised human (although we still do some of them, unfortunately). I don't imagine you'd be so quick to defend rape and cannibalism just because our ancestors did them.

What's more, they did these things, more often than not, because they HAD to, not because they were trying to make a profit or too lazy to care otherwise.

Skippy911sc
18-Nov-2009, 01:55 PM
I will think about this when I go Deer Hunting this weekend. If your gonna eat meat... know where it comes from. I shoot, gut, and process the meat from the deer I kill. Then I eat it. :)

I have never been a big veggie fan, I like some vegetables but not a whole lot, I am willing to try and have done so recently but it is rare to find something that I find pleasing to my pallet. I don't look down upon those who choose a different life style whether vegetarian or sexual preference as long as they don't judge me.

Danny
18-Nov-2009, 03:28 PM
I will think about this when I go Deer Hunting this weekend. If your gonna eat meat... know where it comes from. I shoot, gut, and process the meat from the deer I kill. Then I eat it. :)

I have never been a big veggie fan, I like some vegetables but not a whole lot, I am willing to try and have done so recently but it is rare to find something that I find pleasing to my pallet. I don't look down upon those who choose a different life style whether vegetarian or sexual preference as long as they don't judge me.

hunting for meat isnt exactly something you can judge badly , in fact its probably better in small numbers than buying half the shit in stores, i just dont have it in me to kill something, but at least that serves a purpose. "hunters" who chase down a single fox with a group on horseback with packs of dogs till its cold, starved, terrified and in shock, yeah, them there the hunters you can look down on as scum and i dont think anyone but the toffery who do it can defend that in comparison to one man and one animal doing what nature intended.

krakenslayer
18-Nov-2009, 03:32 PM
hunting for meat isnt exactly something you can judge badly , in fact its probably better in small numbers than buying half the shit in stores, i just dont have it in me to kill something, but at least that serves a purpose. "hunters" who chase down a single fox with a group on horseback with packs of dogs till its cold, starved, terrified and in shock, yeah, them there the hunters you can look down on as scum and i dont think anyone but the toffery who do it can defend that in comparison to one man and one animal doing what nature intended.

^ I agree with this.

Although...

one man and one animal doing what nature intended.

... that does sound a bit weird hells. :confused: :lol:

Phenia Films
18-Nov-2009, 03:35 PM
i wont even go there, no desire to look..why post this up to begin with?
if anything see about getting it off whatever the fuck it came from..why spread this clip around..whos disgusting? might want to check yourself

krakenslayer
18-Nov-2009, 03:41 PM
i wont even go there, no desire to look..why post this up to begin with?
if anything see about getting it off whatever the fuck it came from..why spread this clip around..whos disgusting? might want to check yourself

Chill Phrenia, it's not that bad. It's just a video documenting a cruel culinary practice in China (of which there are a few). THX isn't posting it because he thinks we'll all be entertained, he's posting it because he believes its wrong and wants to raise awareness and condemnation of the practice.

BillyRay
18-Nov-2009, 03:50 PM
Approves:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/09/ted.nugent.490w.jpg

AcesandEights
18-Nov-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah, if human is life is cheap in China, one can only imagine how bad it generally must be for animals.

Any man who like zombie movies and cheesy fries can't be all bad, despite any questionable culinary practices he may have ;)

Danny
18-Nov-2009, 04:03 PM
Approves:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/09/ted.nugent.490w.jpg

of course he does, hes the kill'n'grill jesus.:lol:

EvilNed
18-Nov-2009, 04:41 PM
Ditto on both points, kraken. That's what i like about you...
To quote Kurt: It's okay to eat fish, 'cause they don't have any feelings.
This is pretty messed up to me, though. Jeez... I'll never understand the Chinese... Koreans and Japanese, okay, but not Chinese...

So you can understand people dragging live dolphins with meathooks for hundreds of yards across dry land just so they'll "stay fresh", but you can't understand this? Seems pretty much the same, to me.

Skippy911sc
18-Nov-2009, 06:02 PM
Not to take this on a tangent but is it kosher for a vegan to eat anything that came from a cow... Cheese? I would imagine that the cheese like substance found on cheesy fries is possibly void of any dairy products but still I thought being Vegan was a way of life? Don't eat fish don't eat meat don't eat animal products at all... Milk??? Not to pick on one way of thought but just curious.

Arcades057
18-Nov-2009, 06:42 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ebbzNapSiPk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ebbzNapSiPk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Danny
18-Nov-2009, 06:46 PM
Not to take this on a tangent but is it kosher for a vegan to eat anything that came from a cow... Cheese? I would imagine that the cheese like substance found on cheesy fries is possibly void of any dairy products but still I thought being Vegan was a way of life? Don't eat fish don't eat meat don't eat animal products at all... Milk??? Not to pick on one way of thought but just curious.

vegetarians and vegans arent the same thing.

krakenslayer
18-Nov-2009, 06:48 PM

Thx said he was a vegetarian, not a vegan. Vegetarians just won't eat meat and some of them wont wear animal fabrics. Vegans don't eat or use anything containing animal products - so cheese, milk, yoghurt, most draught beers (which are often filtered using fish bladders or beetle husks and sometimes contain renit from calves), leather, etc. Some vegans won't eat honey.
I know a few vegans and they spend an inordinate amount of time checking food labels. :lol: That said, contrary to popular belief it is very easy to get all required nutrition from non-animal sources if you eat right.

But, fuck it, I like chicken curry too much for all that! :lol:

capncnut
18-Nov-2009, 07:18 PM
But, fuck it, I like chicken curry too much for all that! :lol:
<high five>

I love a lamb curry myself, especially Madras/Chilli Masala but...

http://www.cathyscustomcreations.com/images/baby_lamb_up_close_photo.jpg

...awww, he's soo cute! :(

krakenslayer
18-Nov-2009, 07:27 PM
When I was a kid I lived in the country and across the road was a big field full of sheep. In the spring time I used to watch the little lambs frolic and play. One year, there was one who used to run up and nuzzle my hand when I passed his enclosure. He became my little lamb friend and I called him Colin. Then one day, he wasn't there anymore.

That day, as a seven year old, I swore I'd never eat lamb as long as I lived.

Unfortunately, I was 20 years old and eating my 2000th drunken kebab before someone finally decided to tell me what kebab meat was. :( :lol:

Danny
18-Nov-2009, 07:27 PM
<high five>

I love a lamb curry myself, especially Madras/Chilli Masala but...

http://www.cathyscustomcreations.com/images/baby_lamb_up_close_photo.jpg

...awww, he's soo cute! :(

my mum had a pet lamb when i was 5 so ive always gone for mutton over lamb if i could. nothing puts some nice person off lamb like saying "well, to be fair, muttons tougher, but your eating a baby.":lol:

capncnut
18-Nov-2009, 07:37 PM
my mum had a pet lamb when i was 5 so ive always gone for mutton over lamb if i could. nothing puts some nice person off lamb like saying "well, to be fair, muttons tougher, but your eating a baby.":lol:
As it happens, my mate had a pet goat called 'Curry' in the 80's. Forgive me if I have told this story already but it fits perfectly with what we are discussing.

Anyway, he used to take the goat into the pub and everything, everyone loved the thing. Two little girls used to knock on my mates door and walk it for an hour around the estate. The thing is, it drew a lot of attention because at 5am it would go "BEEHHH" and wouldn't stop. The neighbours used to knock at my friends house and say, "Shut that fucking thing up or else!"

Needless to say, one Sunday morning Curry was silent. At 9am, my mate went into the garden and found the poor animal in a bad way; lying on it's side, breathing heavy, froth at the mouth, etc. Neighbour had syringed some bleach or something nasty into a couple of apples and threw them into the garden. Just as the vet carted the body away, the two girls knocked to take him for his walk. They were in pieces over it.

The end of the story is that my mate smacked his neighbours teeth in and reported him to the RSPCA for animal cruelty.

blind2d
18-Nov-2009, 08:05 PM
Dolphins are aliens trying to build a super-weapon at the bottom of the Marianas Trench to kill all us humans, so no, I don't mind them being tortured. Free Willy, Kill Flipper. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/208161921_9e528da9ed.jpg

darth los
18-Nov-2009, 08:26 PM
Well it is the freshest meat possible. :D

That was one of the most ( I don't know if disgusting is the right word ) unevering things I've ever seen.

:cool:

Danny
18-Nov-2009, 08:28 PM
Dolphins are aliens trying to build a super-weapon at the bottom of the Marianas Trench to kill all us humans, so no, I don't mind them being tortured. Free Willy, Kill Flipper. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/208161921_9e528da9ed.jpg

you sir are a foolish, foolish carpenter of crazy, without the large beasts of the sea there would be no one to keep the space program busy for fear of competition:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/124400202446.jpg

MoonSylver
18-Nov-2009, 10:26 PM
you sir are a foolish, foolish carpenter of crazy, without the large beasts of the sea there would be no one to keep the space program busy for fear of competition:

That may be the most bizarre thing I have ever seen in my life....:stunned:

blind2d
19-Nov-2009, 12:44 AM
Sharks are fine, they're fish! I think you're missing the point of my link...

deadpunk
19-Nov-2009, 02:37 AM
You know...I always assumed dlphin hunting was illegal. I checked it out after I read this thread along...OMFG?! What the hell is wrong with people?

I have enough faith in the USDA to assume that I can purchase meat at a grocery store and not die after consumption. So, while a slaughter house might not be 100% sanitary and clearly not humane, there is a clear distinction between that and this. This is how animals eat.

An animal views its food as nothing more. It pounces on it, and often as not, starts eating it before it's even dead. Acting civilized is our biggest distinction.

If that fish tastes any better while it's still alive than the three seconds it would take to give it a humane death, it better taste like sex. :rant:

blind2d
19-Nov-2009, 03:53 AM
What does... sex.. taste. like?

deadpunk
19-Nov-2009, 03:54 AM
What does... sex.. taste. like?

Get off the computer and go find out :D;)

blind2d
19-Nov-2009, 03:56 AM
Mrrrm... yeah, no... that's okay. Anyhow, who's with me to stop the threat of marine mammals?

deadpunk
19-Nov-2009, 04:05 AM
Mrrrm... yeah, no... that's okay. Anyhow, who's with me to stop the threat of marine mammals?

When they figure out how to come on land, I'll give it a second thought... :D

blind2d
19-Nov-2009, 04:06 AM
Seals and sea lions, my friend.

deadpunk
19-Nov-2009, 04:10 AM
Seals and sea lions, my friend.

If they team up with the penguins, we're fucked. :eek:

blind2d
19-Nov-2009, 04:33 AM
That's what I'm sayin'!

Skippy911sc
19-Nov-2009, 03:17 PM
Sharks are fine, they're fish! I think you're missing the point of my link...

I love shark steak... almost as good as beef.

mista_mo
19-Nov-2009, 03:26 PM
shark is actually really delicious- had it when i visited nova scotia.

MoonSylver
19-Nov-2009, 03:28 PM
I love shark steak... almost as good as beef.

Really? I had it once & didn't care for it. Tasted like salmon, which I'm not a huge fan of. Too "fishy". That's why I prefer fresh water fish.

darth los
19-Nov-2009, 03:46 PM
Get off the computer and go find out :D;)

BEST.

REPLY.

EVER.

deadpunk
19-Nov-2009, 04:30 PM
BEST.

REPLY.

EVER.

I try. :D

blind2d
19-Nov-2009, 05:07 PM
Salmon is awesome! Fancy tuna is good too. Um... well... okay... yes, so don't eat moving things... it's creepy.

deadpunk
19-Nov-2009, 05:16 PM
Um... well... okay... yes, so don't eat moving things... it's creepy.

A pack of hyenas eat a wildebeest alive, guts first. The young animal is alive for five minutes while the hyenas chew through its stomach. Filmed in the Maasai Mara in Kenya by Clare.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TeuN7YAvdwc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TeuN7YAvdwc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Speaks for itself.

Danny
19-Nov-2009, 05:18 PM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/124400202446.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/im_a_shark.jpg

deadpunk
19-Nov-2009, 05:22 PM
Singing shark rules!

:lol:

blind2d
19-Nov-2009, 05:23 PM
That video reminds me of Radio-Television from $lave. It's still streaming on megavideo if y'all wanna peep some gnarly skating. Awesome and revolting how their faces are just covered in gore.
Singing Shark pwns all.