PDA

View Full Version : dont ride the subway

acealive1
22-Nov-2009, 04:22 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091122/ap_on_re_us/us_subway_stabbing

Danny
22-Nov-2009, 05:33 PM
dude, even in england we know you dont ride the subway, its an unwritten rule:lol:

deadpunk
22-Nov-2009, 05:37 PM
dude, even in england we know you dont ride the subway, its an unwritten rule:lol:

Yeah, sadly, I didn't find this to be overly shocking.

MikePizzoff
22-Nov-2009, 06:08 PM
Haha you small-town folk. I can't even begin to count how many people I've heard saying "stay away from the subway!"

Sure, if I had the option not to take it, I wouldn't... but sometimes I have to. Here in Philly there are a few hundred thousand people whom ride the subway, the El, and other forms of our train system. Stuff like this happens once in a while; the odds are you'll probably never have anything happen to you. It's not like people get into the subway and they transform into psychopathic killers suddenly.

I also get the feeling we're not getting the entire story with these situations. They tend to portray stuff like this as completely one-sided... as if the attacker just walked up like "HEY YOU'RE IN MY SEAT!" (STAB). I bet there was more of a confrontation and aggression from both parties, and it just escalated way too far.

/rant

krakenslayer
22-Nov-2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah, subways do not turn people insane, or even particularly attract violent people. It's simply a matter of the more people you pack into an enclosed space, the more person-person interactions occur, therefore causing a slightly higher likelihood of some kind of conflict somewhere at some point.

I'd be surprised if subways were, per head, any more dangerous than any other form of transport. In fact, I find city bus services at night to be far worse.

acealive1
22-Nov-2009, 07:15 PM
Haha you small-town folk. I can't even begin to count how many people I've heard saying "stay away from the subway!"

Sure, if I had the option not to take it, I wouldn't... but sometimes I have to. Here in Philly there are a few hundred thousand people whom ride the subway, the El, and other forms of our train system. Stuff like this happens once in a while; the odds are you'll probably never have anything happen to you. It's not like people get into the subway and they transform into psychopathic killers suddenly.

I also get the feeling we're not getting the entire story with these situations. They tend to portray stuff like this as completely one-sided... as if the attacker just walked up like "HEY YOU'RE IN MY SEAT!" (STAB). I bet there was more of a confrontation and aggression from both parties, and it just escalated way too far.

/rant

small town?:lol:

blind2d
22-Nov-2009, 07:38 PM
Don't eat a cheeseburger. It's definitely more hazardous to your health. Unless of course you're riding the midnight train... watch out for that one.

mista_mo
22-Nov-2009, 07:55 PM
I refuse to enter a subway ever since I viewed An American Werewolf in London.

MikePizzoff
22-Nov-2009, 08:06 PM
small town?:lol:

Oh shit, that's right, aren't you in Cincinnati or Cleveland? Woops!

acealive1
22-Nov-2009, 08:54 PM
Oh shit, that's right, aren't you in Cincinnati or Cleveland? Woops!

im in toledo. born and raised in los angeles tho

Skippy911sc
23-Nov-2009, 02:47 PM
I was on the subway in DC with my wife and kids, this black man gets on and starts talking to himself (looked homeless). Then he starts going off on this little guy near him that was reading his book. This little guys just ignored the man and kept reading. Now I must mention that my oldest son (9) was sitting near these two fellas away from my wife and myself (it was very crowded). I told my wife to hold our shopping bags and if anything happens get the boys to the back of the train. I was fully prepared to charge this guy and attempt at taking him out the train window. I had that rush I have not felt in a Looooooong time. We kept our cool and finally got my son away from this nut job, made out stop and left. It was something I will never forget and I was just hoping my son did not start a conversation with this man. Our youngest son just sat him. Funny as hell, looking back, but intense at the time.

Mike70
23-Nov-2009, 04:11 PM
i've never been on any form of public transportation in my life. not one second. i've never been on a bus, a city train, a subway, etc.

MikePizzoff
23-Nov-2009, 04:23 PM
i've never been on any form of public transportation in my life. not one second. i've never been on a bus, a city train, a subway, etc.

You're not missing anything. May as well keep it that way.

Public transportation used to be "cool" when I was a teenager and be riding it with about 10 friends, all dekt out in studs and spiky hair, drinking 40's. Now it's just a hassle.

BillyRay
23-Nov-2009, 04:40 PM
Now, I can't speak for the quality of Mass transit in anybody else's town, but I take the bus to and from work every day. Flash the pass, sit down, get there in less than a half hour.

Depending on if I catch the earler or later bus, I'll usually sit next to a friend or colleague and chat with them on the way. Worst case scenario, I have my nose in a book all the way.

Hell, I've met more than one girlfriend on the bus. I know they're into my personality & not after my money...:D

I haven't owned a car in a while.

MikePizzoff
23-Nov-2009, 05:17 PM
You're lucky. Around here, when you get on a bus or a train you are always prepared to deal with people that feel the need to scream instead of talk and [fake] laugh as loud as possible and blast terrible pop/rap out of their cell phones... or some nutjob that always seems to make eye contact with YOU and think you're his/her best friend.

BillyRay
23-Nov-2009, 06:54 PM
You're lucky. Around here, when you get on a bus or a train you are always prepared to deal with people that feel the need to scream instead of talk and [fake] laugh as loud as possible and blast terrible pop/rap out of their cell phones... or some nutjob that always seems to make eye contact with YOU and think you're his/her best friend.

Oh, We got all that too.:p

But you get used to the poor, the tired, the huddled masses yearning to get somewhere. I've dealt with crazy, I've dealt with various...aromas from my fellow passengers.

I finds it prepares me to deal with Fannish types.:D

AcesandEights
23-Nov-2009, 07:39 PM
Personally, I'm so glad I don't have to take the subway anymore and can walk a few blocks instead. Not only are the subways of NYC a virtual petri dish in the winter, but they're so packed during that time of the year you're forced into close physical contact with all manner of funky people. I'll never forget being packed in tight like a sardine when the waves of heat and pain started assaulting me, as a kidney stone started to make it's existence physically known. Not fun.

Plus, 40 minutes of healthy walking a day vs. sniffing some tall strap-hanger's arm pit? Easy decision.

darth los
23-Nov-2009, 07:41 PM

Shit mike, you just described what it's like on the mass transit system of :

Fill in the name of any major U.S. city here _______________________. :lol:

:cool:

krakenslayer
23-Nov-2009, 08:12 PM
Shit mike, you just described what it's like on the mass transit system of :

Fill in the name of any major U.S. city here _______________________. :lol:

:cool:

Change U.S. to world and you'd be even closer to the mark. It's the same here too. :D

MikePizzoff
23-Nov-2009, 08:37 PM
This is why we should take a note from the Jetsons public transportation system: moving sidewalks.

SRP76
23-Nov-2009, 08:47 PM
Having far fewer people would fix a lot of things, transportation included.

Not that I'm suggesting any particular action, mind you. :shifty:

acealive1
23-Nov-2009, 09:14 PM
Now, I can't speak for the quality of Mass transit in anybody else's town, but I take the bus to and from work every day. Flash the pass, sit down, get there in less than a half hour.

Depending on if I catch the earler or later bus, I'll usually sit next to a friend or colleague and chat with them on the way. Worst case scenario, I have my nose in a book all the way.

Hell, I've met more than one girlfriend on the bus. I know they're into my personality & not after my money...:D

I haven't owned a car in a while.

this is proof u dont need a car, and women who find that a turn off are pretty fuckin shallow

blind2d
24-Nov-2009, 02:44 AM
yeah... cars are just machines, after all. machines of transport. they really shouldn't judge you by them, just like people shouldn't judge other people by physical appearance, but there you have it. Moving sidewalks? They have those in airports. Who needs 'em elsewhere?

MikePizzoff
24-Nov-2009, 02:59 AM
Moving sidewalks? They have those in airports. Who needs 'em elsewhere?

Earth.

acealive1
24-Nov-2009, 03:46 AM
yeah... cars are just machines, after all. machines of transport. they really shouldn't judge you by them, just like people shouldn't judge other people by physical appearance, but there you have it. Moving sidewalks? They have those in airports. Who needs 'em elsewhere?

i figured it like this. any woman who dumps a guy because he doesnt have a car, but would date a famous guy........has issues. they dont drive either

deadpunk
24-Nov-2009, 04:14 AM
Having far fewer people would fix a lot of things, transportation included.

Not that I'm suggesting any particular action, mind you. :shifty:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/thebeergoblin/Decorated%20images/natural_selection.jpg

:D

blind2d
24-Nov-2009, 04:58 AM
But if all sidewalks moved, how would we get exercise? Or skateboard? Or... stop the crazy thing? I really don't think it's a good idea...