PDA

View Full Version : Why I Won't Watch Network Television Again

JDFP
25-Nov-2009, 04:49 PM
After the death of "Jericho", an amazing idea for a show and well-done but which the network stupidly ran into the ground, I've sworn not to watch any other additional shows aired on network television, ever (same thing happened with "Invasion" which at least had a semi-decent ending to the series). Sure, if it is a good show I'll wait on the DVD set to come out and Netflix it to watch it. But, I won't watch a first-run television show on the major networks any longer.

My big beef is that it's a catch-22. If people, who feel like me, don't watch shows on first-run then the show may perform poorly and will be cancelled. And if the show is cancelled then less people will be interested in watching any other programs on that network for fear that the new show will also be cancelled as well, it's a vicious cycle. Personally, I don't believe in investing myself into a network show just to have it cancelled half-way through the series without any proper ending to the series after getting invested in the show and the characters. While I wouldn't mind seeing the new "V", "Flash Forward", and "Day One", I'll be waiting anxiously for the DVD set if these series make it. If it doesn't make it, no need for me to get the DVD set because I know I would just be disappointed in a shitty half-season ending that doesn't properly finish the story. Why commit myself to a show if the network doesn't bother to commit themselves to it?

It seems that all th best shows aren't on network television any longer anyway. "Sons of Anarchy", new "Battlestar Galactica" (which was probably hands down the greatest sci-fi show ever), "Breaking Bad", "True Blood", and other great series are all cable shows that have far higher quality and bang than almost anything on the major networks (I'm still partial to "LOST" and "Supernatural"). Plus, these shows are usually given a proper "go" of it.

Anyway, just some food for thought...

j.p.

bassman
25-Nov-2009, 04:57 PM
'at a way to stick it to da man!:confused:

Seriously though.....it happens. It's happened since the hay day of television. Shows get cancelled. Some good, some bad.

blind2d
25-Nov-2009, 07:56 PM
You watch television? What, are you stuck in the 90's, or something? :p
Nah, I respect that, man. Without choice, humanity is not... human.

DjfunkmasterG
25-Nov-2009, 09:27 PM
i only watch shows in Syndication anymore, unless it is an HBO or Showtime original.

bassman
25-Nov-2009, 10:07 PM
i only watch shows in Syndication anymore, unless it is an HBO or Showtime original.

Curb Your Enthusiasm and Californication represent!:p

DjfunkmasterG
25-Nov-2009, 10:10 PM
:p

Actually

DEXTER
TRUE BLOOD
BIG LOVE
ENTOURAGE
CALIFORNICATION

Everything else is pish.

Danny
25-Nov-2009, 10:28 PM
jericho would have never worked, its an intriqueing idea, but its just an idea, how could it have gone on? "jericho season 6: yep, still radioactive, things are still shitty" it was a textbook example of something that makes for a good episode of the outerlimits stretched out to a format it cant support because its bricked itself in with its own idea.

Though i watch everything online now, theres not even an ariel connected to my tv, its for consoles, dvds and blurays nothing else. in the last two years i havewatched dr.who on the bbc and thats all ive used my tv for.

-and yes, battlestar rocked and i loved the ending.

bassman
25-Nov-2009, 10:44 PM
:p

Actually

DEXTER
TRUE BLOOD
BIG LOVE
ENTOURAGE
CALIFORNICATION

Everything else is pish.

Ehh....I got one of them at least. Entourage is good, but I don't catch it regularly. The rest i've never really cared for. Especially the white trash vampires.:p