PDA

View Full Version : When you really NEED to take the keys away from someone

DjfunkmasterG
27-Nov-2009, 05:24 PM
My mother is 78 years old, and suffers from COPD, on good days she can get around pretty well, bad days she is hooked up to an Oxygen machine and pretty much sits at home.

Because of her age and health I had her move in with me and with her came her 2007 Pontiac G5. This car has about 9000 miles on it, but she has pretty much managed to mangle it up through various avenues, and it has been the victim of poor parking lot manners from other drivers.

Last night she managed to really wollop the car something fierce... See the picture of just one of thee tire from the incident below:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs042.snc3/12945_350625210342_760985342_9934445_2277855_n.jpg

Now imagine this kind of damage down the entire driver side of the car.

The car itself is driveable, I took it and had the tires replaced today, but I als officially took both sets of keys from her and have disabled the car from being driven until I drop it off at the local body shop to be fixed.

So in all if you have elderly parents don't be afraid to take away the keys.

kortick
27-Nov-2009, 06:21 PM
I did that years ago to my grandfather.
You really have no choice when thier driving becomes dangerous.

He had a few heart attacks and diabeties
but still thought he could drive.

I took the keys from him and said
"ur all done old man, u aint killing urself or anyone else"
I told him id put him in a home if he fought me on it.

he didnt like it obviously, he was used to being independant
but my uncle moved in and ran errands for them.

I made the concession of letting him keep the car,
it was registered, and insured and it was right out in
the driveway when he looked out the window.

I guess it was a compromise on his part that at least
he still OWNED a car.

But his days of driving it ended flat.

There was a plus side, i did snatch his handicap permit
out of the car and put it in mine and for a year i parked
free all over the city and got all the best spots at the mall.

MissJacksonCA
28-Nov-2009, 01:44 AM
I hope you gave her an alternative to her vehicle. Like a rascal or something. Taking away an elderly persons ride can be like taking away their freedom and similarly can take away their desire to... it sounds bad... but live. Hopefully you can enjoy regular outings together if a rascal isn't an option. How much damage can an older person do in one of those bad boys?

My old bosses mother should have her keys taken from her after driving her dog Natl Lampoons Vacation style down the road two miles to the vets office. Lil guy survived but if you're not sharp enough to note a dog hanging out of your car are you really sharp enough to drive? True story.

SymphonicX
28-Nov-2009, 12:53 PM
I bet she drives better than me dude...!

78 years old and she owns a car with 9000 miles on it? And it's not a Honda Jazz...!

DjfunkmasterG
28-Nov-2009, 01:04 PM
Do your tires look like that when your done driving?

slickwilly13
28-Nov-2009, 02:51 PM
Why are the tires all white looking? Did she drive it through lime and standstone? ;)

DjfunkmasterG
28-Nov-2009, 03:00 PM
That is the inside wall material you're seeing

Chic Freak
28-Nov-2009, 03:25 PM
Do old people get a free bus pass in the US? My nan had to briefly give up her car while it was getting fixed in the garage (not due to an accident on her part, it's just very old and parts of it needed replacing) and got used to taking the bus in the few days she was car-less. Now she's used to taking the bus she feels better about facing the inevitable day when she just can't drive anymore.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Nov-2009, 03:39 PM
Depends on the State and County you live in. Where I live seniors get a discount pass on the Metro train, but no freebie, and Metro runs the bus system as well, but I have never taken the bus so I can't answer that question.

However, in PA in Luzerne County they do allow seniors a free ride as I have a relative in that area who frequently uses the bus and is happy they extend free rides to seniors.

SymphonicX
28-Nov-2009, 04:06 PM
Do your tires look like that when your done driving?

I dunno, they're usually about 16 miles behind me, going the wrong direction down the motorway!

rongravy
28-Nov-2009, 04:24 PM
I think it should be mandatory to take the driving test every 10 years. Driving is a privelege, not a right.

kortick
28-Nov-2009, 04:50 PM
Over here the elderly do get to ride the bus for
free. they get a bus pass that will let them ride all
routes.

i agree that taking the keys from someone who cant
drive safely is only right.

SymphonicX
28-Nov-2009, 04:52 PM
I think it should be mandatory to take the driving test every 10 years. Driving is a privelege, not a right.

I have to re-test in 2055 I think....

From my point of view, that's great...

But then I get cut up by some absolute fucking MORON on the road, who undertakes or dangerously tailgates me at 90mph...

And I think you may be right at that moment...