PDA

View Full Version : Sons of Anarchy / What's your favorite shows right now?

JDFP
29-Nov-2009, 09:13 PM
Is anyone else here into this show? And, secondly, what's your favorite shows on TV right now and why?

"Sons of Anarchy" is my favorite television series right now, and honestly one of the best shows I have ever seen before. I haven't watched any of the second season yet (I do the DVD sets when they come out for shows generally), but I just wanted to give a "Hell Yeah" to stating my opinion on this show.

A friend of mine and I were discussing this the other day and she mentioned that she doesn't think she'd be into a show about a biker gang. Dad actually picked up the first season and I felt the same way at first: "Eh, a show about a bunch of bikers, eh..." but then after watching the first few episodes, all I had to say was: "Wow. This is incredible." Man, this is so much more than a show about a biker gang, it's about life, love, death, redemption (mostly redemption -- the show itself is a take on "Hamlet" in the 21st century and very well done at that), and everything in-between. It's also addictive once you start watching it.

Anyway, Ron Perlman and Katey Segal (Sp?) are both incredible. It's hard to imagine Peggie Bundy from "Married With Children" in such a dramatic role, but she's absolutely perfect for the role. What I like so much about this show is the realism to it. It doesn't attempt to paint people as black and white as being "good" or being "bad". There are layers to every person, there's a great episode in the first season where the gang goes after a predator that is a perfect example. Love or hate most of these people, they have both overwhelming shades of good/evil within them. That's probably the reason I dig it so much.

Anyway, there's only a few other shows I've been into recently. "Big Love", "Supernatural", "The Office", "Breaking Bad", and "The Vampire Diaries". Before you all point your fingers and laugh at me about getting into "Vampire Diaries" I will state that my intention in watching the first episode was to laugh at it as a show that social outcast teenaged girls can get into (like the atrociously bad "Twilight" series). The show is a hell of alot better than the "Twilight" flicks (and books for that matter, but that's a different matter all together). Surprisingly, the story and the writing in "V.D." is actually really good. It's good to know I'll have a horror-show "fix" after "Supernatural" probably ends after this year.

Anyway, what are you all into right now?

j.p.

JDFP
03-Dec-2009, 09:00 PM
Not a single taker on this? Really?

C'mon, give some feedback, I'll buy whoever responds first a beer whenever we have a HPOTD get-together... speaking of which, that would be cool for us all to have some type of get-together going...

j.p.

Skippy911sc
04-Dec-2009, 01:54 PM
I love SOA.

I Tivo it and watch it every week, so now I will spoil this season for you... Just kidding.

I liken this to Sopranos. Very much a organized crime drama. I can't believe there is only one episode left. Right up there with this show is Its always sunny in Philadelphia and now The league. I love the show!!!

rongravy
04-Dec-2009, 03:04 PM
I've never heard of it. I don't watch alot of tv, about the only thing I do watch is South Park, V, and the Biggest Loser.
I also watch alot of old 80's shows on Hulu.
I'll check the other show out sometime, though.

bassman
04-Dec-2009, 03:25 PM
Californication and Curb Your Enthusiasm. That's about it...

Danny
04-Dec-2009, 03:41 PM
right now nothing, tv is absolute shit. in the past buffy, galactica, stuff like that. Now lost's caused such an over-saturation of the american one hour drama that anything good like threshold gets buried under a pile of steaming shit like dullhouse.

Yojimbo
06-Dec-2009, 06:55 AM
Though I agree that much of network American TV blows chunks, there is some decent stuff out there right now.

I too have a special love for SOA- so well done that I can't even see homegirl as Peggy Bundy anymore. Well written, very good shit.

Mad Men is another well done show and a secret indulgence of late.

DjfunkmasterG
06-Dec-2009, 02:13 PM
Haven't watched SOA, but then again I only watch a few cable TV shows currently airing.

Dexter
Californication
True Blood
Entourage
Big Love (A mormonesque Sopranos)
Hung

All of these are Showtime and HBO exclusive

Previous shows I watched with great fervor were:

The Wire (After it hit DVD)
The Sopranos
3rd Rock from the Sun (NBC)