PDA

View Full Version : Christmas din-dins

capncnut
03-Dec-2009, 02:16 PM
With Christmas creeping up on us, I was wondering what you guys plan to have for dinner this year. I know it's traditional for folks to have turkey (not me though) but I was figuring most of the American members of this forum are probably sick of turkey after OD-ing on it at Thanksgiving. Dunno what I'm having at all.

Kaos introduced me to the Turducken (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Turducken_easter06.jpg), which is a hybrid of turkey, duck and chicken. I'm also thinking of going for ham because I have never tried it. Sure, I've had it in a sandwich but not hot on my plate with all the trimmings. I'm all for trying new things. I absolutely love roast beef, scored roast potatoes in duck fat, all the veg, Yorkshire puds, horseradish sauce and lashings of gravy but it's hardly Christmassy, is it?

Anyway, just wondered what you guys were having so it might give me a more definite idea of what to have. Danke.

MoonSylver
03-Dec-2009, 02:22 PM
With Christmas creeping up on us, I was wondering what you guys plan to have for dinner this year. I know it's traditional for folks to have turkey (not me though) but I was figuring most of the American members of this forum are probably sick of turkey after OD-ing on it at Thanksgiving. Dunno what I'm having at all.

Kaos introduced me to the Turducken (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Turducken_easter06.jpg), which is a hybrid of turkey, duck and chicken. I'm also thinking of going for ham because I have never tried it. Sure, I've had it in a sandwich but not hot on my plate with all the trimmings. I'm all for trying new things. I absolutely love roast beef, scored roast potatoes in duck fat, all the veg, Yorkshire puds, horseradish sauce and lashings of gravy but it's hardly Christmassy, is it?

Anyway, just wondered what you guys were having so it might give me a more definite idea of what to have. Danke.

I like to save turkey for Thanksgiving & Ham for Christmas. Nice big freshly carved hot ham is so much better then the cold sandwich variety. Sides pretty much the same though, mashed potatoes w/ gravy, cornbread dressing, corn, green beans, rolls, sweet potatoes. Mmmmm....:D

bassman
03-Dec-2009, 02:24 PM
Ham. Honey ham. With the brown sugar.

http://www.alessioproietti.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/drooling-homer.gif

Then all your usual sides.

As for dessert.....Sweet potato pie. My absolute favorite.:)

Mike70
03-Dec-2009, 02:45 PM
ham is pretty much the american christmas food of choice. i know people who make a rack a lamb or prime rib (which is what i'll be doing) but for the most part, it's ham.

SymphonicX
03-Dec-2009, 03:59 PM
AIRPLANE FOOD!!!!!

Yep...I'll be in mid air, approx 32000 feet on Christmas day....going to South Africa to visit the gfs family... :)

BillyRay
03-Dec-2009, 04:11 PM
Chinese food with the other orphans is standard practice.

That and a matinee - a nice Jewish Xmas.

Danny
03-Dec-2009, 04:23 PM
tudukens nice, theres a toff version with 10 different birds, from a robin up to a goose and its all meat, i liked turducken, but duck on its own roasted is fucking mankey as owt.

I'm interested in trying this "Jalapeno deep fried turkey" a few folks i know across the pond had at thanksgiving. Id make it myself but ive seen too many bad youtube vids off people trying to fry a turkey and causing a boiling oil explosion:dead:

blind2d
03-Dec-2009, 07:26 PM
It'll be a German/Southern American dinner for me, since we'll be visiting my step-mom's folks this year. Not sure what we'll have, but I'll let y'all know, if you want.