PDA

View Full Version : Finally made the move to HD

zombie04
06-Dec-2009, 10:10 PM
So after half my dvds were stolen I made the decision not to get a new tv or PS3 until I've moved into a safer neighborhood where I wouldn't have to worry about somebody seeing what I was moving into an apartment. I haven't moved yet, but a nice deal came along that allowed me to get both and for cheap.

While I don't go to Best Buy often anymore I saw they were offering a Sony Bravia KDL-46V5100 which retails for $1599, a PS3 w/ 120 GB hard drive, a movie in blu ray and a game all for $950. So I just went to BB this morning, picked it up, and now I'm just having a blast with it all. As of now I have Terminator Salvation, Star Trek (2009), and Taking of Pelham 1 2 3.

So before I make anymore movie purchases I was wondering if anybody here might like to offer up their favorite bluray movies as far as picture/visual quaity goes.

Danny
06-Dec-2009, 11:08 PM
zulu, the dark knight, lady in the water and the happening are the best looking blu-rays ive watched. though to be honest i still go for what i like and not give a crap, when it comes to tv show box sets im still a dvd man, £9.99 for season 1 and 2 of lost or £120 quid is no contest, hell i could get every episode of scrubs and the sopranos if i had that scratch, but now blu-rays are like £8 each if you wait even a month after there release so its just the normal thing i buy my movies on now, the qualities not a big thing, but the movies i said had certain points that wowed me.

kidgloves
07-Dec-2009, 12:18 AM
Thats a 46" tv by the model no isn't it? Big enough to appreciate HD.
Like Hellsing said Zulu is an absolute must if you want to see what HD is really all about. You just won't believe how good a 1963 movie can look. Im a big movie lover and I've been buying the classic releases recently and Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz and North by Northwest all look stunning. The special features are excellent as well.

The picture quality is a strange one and a personal thing so I would use a HD review site for some guidance if I was you. DVDBeaver would be a good start. Try High-def Digest as well

Enjoy

DjfunkmasterG
07-Dec-2009, 12:44 PM
Based on what everyone is saying about ZULU I decided to get it on Blu. Another movie that looks superb in HD is Blazing Saddles, which I believe is only on HD DVD, but i could be wrong. The transfer on that is outstanding.

Good luck with your new stuff. Isn't buying new toys fun?

zombie04
07-Dec-2009, 05:18 PM
Based on what everyone is saying about ZULU I decided to get it on Blu. Another movie that looks superb in HD is Blazing Saddles, which I believe is only on HD DVD, but i could be wrong. The transfer on that is outstanding.

Good luck with your new stuff. Isn't buying new toys fun?

Buying new toys is always fun! I'll certainly be sure to pick up Zulu when I get the chance. The reason I'm going for visual quality over just good movies is I still have a large number of my old dvds left, including all my HBO's and tv shows, though I'm bound to re-purchase Band of Brothers in HD. And since you mentioned it Dj, I think Blazing Saddles is on sale for $10 in bluray so I'll be picking that up as well.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Dec-2009, 12:38 PM
I have it on HD DVD, I just saw it at INET video on HD DVD for $1.99

I still tell people to buy an HD DVD player if they can and buy the Red Titles on the cheap ($1.99 at inetvideo.com) Why pay $10 for a blu movie you can get on red for $2.00 and it is the same HD quality.

in fact some of the films ported from red to blu have worse transfers on Blu... Shaun of the Dead was one to suffer as well as The Thing. Both look better in HD DVD.

You can find HD DVD players cheap enough now, even refurb units and go HD DVD crazy while saving money

MikePizzoff
15-Dec-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah, DJ - I'm with you on HD-DVD (thx to you, actually). My buddy purchased a Blu-Ray player, so he just GAVE me his HD-DVD player (the add-on for XBOX). I only have Fast Times At Ridgemont High so far, but even that movie looks completely amazing. It's as if I've got the actual film the movie was shot on playing on my television - just looks beautiful.

I can't wait until I've got some extra money so I can go berzerk on iNet purchases!

DjfunkmasterG
15-Dec-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeah, DJ - I'm with you on HD-DVD (thx to you, actually). My buddy purchased a Blu-Ray player, so he just GAVE me his HD-DVD player (the add-on for XBOX). I only have Fast Times At Ridgemont High so far, but even that movie looks completely amazing. It's as if I've got the actual film the movie was shot on playing on my television - just looks beautiful.

I can't wait until I've got some extra money so I can go berzerk on iNet purchases!

You can sometimes score big time on eBay with people unloading their HD DVD collections.

bassman
15-Dec-2009, 09:51 PM
You can sometimes score big time on eBay with people unloading their HD DVD collections.

I've seen certain chain stores such as FYE sale used HDDVD's for as low as 2.99. Decent titles too....

DjfunkmasterG
15-Dec-2009, 11:25 PM
Shaun, Land and the DAWN remake are way better on HD DVD

When you watch them onblu you have to through the film to find the special features, on the HD DVD versions they are separated and easy to find.

Shaun has a better transfer on HD DVD, Lands transfer sucks on both formats, and the DAWN remake looks outstanding on HD DVD... The Blu seems crushed

Hot Fuzz looks amazing, and I just say that on INET 2 weeks ago for $0.99