PDA

View Full Version : Dead Air Director Corbin Bernsen chimes in at HorrorYearBook about film review

DjfunkmasterG
09-Dec-2009, 07:49 PM
The review for Dead Air is wishy washy, so Wishy washy that you can't tell what the reviewer was even saying... it was so all over the place Director Corbin Bernsen himself chimed in during the comments:

http://www.horroryearbook.com/546925/the-reel-reviewer-dead-air-2009-corbin-bernsen-dvd-critique

JDFP
10-Dec-2009, 06:38 AM
No spoilers, but the flick was just disappointing. I had been looking forward to seeing this film for some time after seeing the previews. To say the least, the previews give you a false understanding of what the film is about -- the actual flick plays out like a poorly done episode of "24" without Kiefer Sutherland to at least make the storyline somewhat interesting with emotional outbursts and threats of violence from time to time. The film production is definitely B-grade and you have to make some very unrealistic "suspension of beliefs" to keep the interest going (and coming from a guy who can suspend belief well enough to enjoy a zombie flick, which this was certainly not, that says a great deal).

This film reminded me a bit of another film covering similar material a few years back called "Right At Your Door". The difference is that "Right At Your Door" was a highly entertaining and suspenseful flick, but "Dead Air" just fell flat and seemed silly.

j.p.

AcesandEights
11-Dec-2009, 02:10 PM
That's a bit depressing to hear, as I had high hopes for this film. And right now it seems you can't throw a rock without some crappy movie marketing their pile of shit as a zomedy :rolleyes: I was really hoping this would hold me over till something else came out that took the premise of zombies seriously as fodder for a good horror film.

Enough zomedies, already! I need a well-budgeted and tense horror film with zombies.

bd2999
12-Dec-2009, 06:08 PM
I have to agree, I was disappointed. The idea itself was good and the trailer was pretty good but it was very bland. The idea behind the movie was a good one really, but just not pulled off well. The director admitted in another interview that he did not really view this as a zombie movie per se, because the zombies are not dead, they are just infected people.

It is sad only because it seemed like the movie had potential to it. I think a movie covering the news crews while the dead are rising would be a really cool thing to see, we are sort of on the very peripheral on that with this movie (sort of like Howard Stern or someone reporting on things going on I guess).

MoonSylver
13-Dec-2009, 07:04 AM
. I think a movie covering the news crews while the dead are rising would be a really cool thing to see

There was a somewhat quirky, but still cool little indie flick "Feeding the Masses" that took that angle, to good effect.

Mike70
14-Dec-2009, 03:00 PM
the actual flick plays out like a poorly done episode of "24"

"dead air" was dead on arrival as far as i'm concerned. i saw it last night and my high hopes were quickly deflated by bad acting, bad dialogue, an idiotic handling of an interesting premise, in short the whole thing was pretty bleak.

the only real bright spot in the movie and apparently the only one in it able to actually act is bill moseley. patricia tallman is utterly wasted in one of the most cliched characters i've seen. in fact, the whole relationship between moseley's character and tallman's is one huge cliche.

it just isn't a very well done movie and it is a shame because underneath it all, there is a really cool flick trying to get out. corbin bernsen's direction is probably the worst offender. he blows every single attempt at setting up some kind of tension by poor editing choices, poor shot selection and wretched pacing. the film wants to get out and run (no pun intended) but isn't really ever allowed to do that. the whole thing is choppy and the first 25 minutes or so is way, way too talky for a flick in this genre.

4 out of 10.

this movie did cause me to have an epiphany: i'm sticking with the classic zombie flicks and am swearing off this kind of shit for a bit. i'm very tired of wading through shit zombie movie after shit zombie movie in search of a hidden gem, gems which seem to be getting rarer and rarer as everyone rushes out to do a "zombie" movie because it is "cool" right now.

so there you go, not the worst "zombie/infected" movie i've ever seen but it is the one that made me go "what the fuck am i wasting my time on this ludicrous shit for?" i've lost my zombie mojo due to overexposure to shitty, poorly made "zombie" films.