PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach - first realtime trailer

CoinReturn
13-Dec-2009, 05:12 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/halo-reach-spike-tv/59813

The lighting, animation and texture work all seem too good to be true. With this new engine, there may be a new console graphics king. ODST was just a stopgap for Reach, and I can't wait to see the finished result.

Danny
13-Dec-2009, 05:23 PM
odst was the most fun i had in a halo campaign, if its the same or better im excited, wish it wasnt another prequel to the main games though.

MinionZombie
13-Dec-2009, 05:28 PM
Well it was about time they gave it a graphical upgrade as it was sorely in need of one in Halo 3, which looked distinctly similar to Halo 2.

I do hope they improve their map making though. All those copy & paste corridors got right on my tits.

capncnut
14-Dec-2009, 08:37 AM
Looked alright, but I wanna see something a bit different this time. The Halo games are getting a bit samey-samey.

3pidemiC
14-Dec-2009, 12:47 PM
I really didn't see anything too impressive with those graphics there.

mista_mo
14-Dec-2009, 03:13 PM
The graphics are fine, but i don't play Halo because it looks pretty. I play Halo because they are fun games with an interesting story.

Also, I highly doubt any Halo game is going to look as good as something like Killzone 2 or Dead Space.

CoinReturn
14-Dec-2009, 03:27 PM
I really didn't see anything too impressive with those graphics there.
Find me game with huge, sprawling maps with a 4-player campaign that looks that good.

Danny
14-Dec-2009, 03:56 PM
Find me game with huge, sprawling maps with a 4-player campaign that looks that good.

im not a fan of it but killzone 2 looks pretty damn impressive.

darth los
14-Dec-2009, 04:00 PM
odst was the most fun i had in a halo campaign, if its the same or better im excited, wish it wasnt another prequel to the main games though.

Agreed. It also has the best graphics of the bunch to date, imo.

:cool:

Tricky
14-Dec-2009, 06:21 PM

Arma 2, Crysis, FarCry 2........

When did Halo turn serious anyway? Ive played the first one right through but it had an almost cartoonish feel to it :confused:

darth los
14-Dec-2009, 06:37 PM
Arma 2, Crysis, FarCry 2........

When did Halo turn serious anyway? Ive played the first one right through but it had an almost cartoonish feel to it :confused:

And those little aliens that run around frantically don't help matters much, huh?

CoinReturn
14-Dec-2009, 07:21 PM
Killzone 2 has no co-op mode. Neither does Crysis or Far Cry 2.

Also, Killzone 2 has open environments? I thought it was more linear corridors.

darth los
14-Dec-2009, 07:48 PM
Killzone 2 has no co-op mode. Neither does Crysis or Far Cry 2.

Also, Killzone 2 has open environments? I thought it was more linear corridors.

Odst has the best enviroments in a halo game yet. As soon as i turned it on i said to myself, "this is definitely not like the others".

I always enjoyed halo for the canon and gameplay elements and always overlooked what i thought were subpar graphics. But with odst there was a huge graphical jump, so there's really no excuse for haters to hate on the franchise because in that that have addressed a longtime deficiency in what is otherwise a stellar franchise.

Tricky
14-Dec-2009, 10:50 PM
And those little aliens that run around frantically don't help matters much, huh?

:lol: i liked them, when they shout "waaaaaaaaaoooooooo" when you shoot them, or "its him,its him" when they spot you!

mista_mo
14-Dec-2009, 11:17 PM
"Look at my big blue ballllllllllls!!!!"

Oh man, I love Grunts.

MikePizzoff
15-Dec-2009, 12:13 AM
WTF? I thought we were gonna see gameplay footage!

Danny
15-Dec-2009, 12:52 AM
WTF? I thought we were gonna see gameplay footage!

its a fps game in the halo series, i think we can guess dude:p

MinionZombie
15-Dec-2009, 10:18 AM
Well the point is that it's "in engine", so therefore that's what the game itself should look like when you're playing it.

Halo 3 certainly did look decidedly Xbox 1, just with some varnish slapped on it.

That said, the gameplay and plot has to be good too ... and no more copy & paste corridors, cos that shit's boring as all hell. Did architects become extinct in the future? :rolleyes:

mista_mo
15-Dec-2009, 11:28 AM
When is the beta for this bitch? I can't wait to waste the hell out of some covenant.

also, I love ODST the most out of any Halo..as odd as that may sound, given its short nature It was tight, well put together, and very memorable. I have to go through it again sometime, but I am stuck alternating between Halo Wars and replaying Dead Space for the 5th time..fuck I love that game.

Danny
15-Dec-2009, 03:27 PM
i just got halo wars cheap and its a surprisingly fun rts, but yeah, odst was easily the most fun, your not a one man genocide machine, you some soldier trapped in the rubble as the biggest war ever occurs and your busy trying to find what happened to your squad.
though i wouldve pulled a metroid and made the rookie reveal themselves to be a silent woman the whole time.

mista_mo
16-Dec-2009, 01:09 PM
Yea, Halo Wars is pretty damned fun, getting my monies worth out of it for sure. Although, It isn't as "varied" as other RTS, which is okay in some regards. The way you construct bases is pretty cool, as being forced to build a base the old fashioned way would be ridiculously hard with a controller. I do wish however, that the UNSC had more options to choose from then "Marines, Flame thrower Marines, and Spartans" for infantry units. Also, Scarabs are fuckign stupid in this game. It pisses me off that a Scarab can kill two Vulture gunships before they can kill it. Even if you use barrage they still take awhile to die. Oh and the fact that the Prophet of regret gets the Orbital strike thing that you can move around, which pretty much kills your entire army.

SymphonicX
16-Dec-2009, 02:25 PM
I dunno where this talk about Halo 3 looking subpar came from - the lighting engine was amazing and the graphics were far, far improved from Halo 2. I mean, they weren't even comparable.

Halo 3 looked excellent and if I do say anything good about the Halo series - they are well presented.

However Bungie have consistently released borderline rubbish games since they knocked out Halo CE. Halo 2's single player happens to be the most boring thing I've ever played, whilst Halo 3's single player was better but still nowhere near the scale of what it should have been. All titles have suffered terribly from backtracking across the levels.

ODST, I won't even touch. I played a demo or two and was instantly bored by it. It's like a cut down version of Halo 3...you're slower, weaker, with less to do.

The thing that really made the Halo series was the multiplayer - and Halo 2 and 3's multiplayer are some of the best balanced and awesome ever made. I spent about 2 years playing halo 2 online, on my original xbox...it's just so awesome.

The biggest point to me is this: in Halo's multiplayer, you can have a battle rifle, and a pistol and if you're good enough, still take out the whole team on your own. Reactions, decision making and skill are tested to the limit. People say COD is more frantic, faster etc - but it's not. At no point in any COD game can you jump, throw a grenade, shoot backwards over a ledge as you're falling then land in the path of a vehicle which you throw a trip mine onto. Those poetic action moments never come about in COD...meet more than one player in COD and you're most likely to get pasted across the map in a second. Christ, even having someone shoot you twice from behind means you have NO chance whatsoever. In Halo, get shot from behind and you have at least 5 options to retalliate before its too late.

So yeah, Halo, great looking and playing games but there's ALWAYS something missing - and I'm sure Reach is no exception. I will still buy it providing it is longer than 6 hours single player and actually delivers what they promise!

capncnut
16-Dec-2009, 02:48 PM
They are all good but the first game is where its at. Perfect gameplay, atmosphere and story. 'Attack On The Control Room' was worth the price alone.

darth los
16-Dec-2009, 04:45 PM
:lol: i liked them, when they shout "waaaaaaaaaoooooooo" when you shoot them, or "its him,its him" when they spot you!

"Look at my big blue ballllllllllls!!!!"

Oh man, I love Grunts.

Who doesn't love them? It's like not liking puppies. :lol:

It just doesn't lend itself to a serious feel is all, imo.

CoinReturn
11-Jan-2010, 04:23 PM
Photos from the latest issue of Game Informer, hopefully I'll be able to get some real scans in a bit. I'm so glad they ditched the cartoony color scheme, check out the comparison shots of the grunt, soldier and rifle from Halo 3 to Reach on the second page:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/xxdurkaxx/100_0949.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/xxdurkaxx/100_0950.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/xxdurkaxx/100_0948.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/xxdurkaxx/100_0951.jpg

darth los
11-Jan-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the update coin, I was wondering about this myself. Halo is one of the few game franchises i follow and whose games i eagerly anticipate.

Plus with the halo waypoint feature it's motivated me to go back and try for those achievements I never got before.

Danny
11-Jan-2010, 07:41 PM
reading all that has really put me off it now. a protagonist with a "past full of dark secrets"? i know thats how you be down wit tha kids in stories nowadays but why is it that only sheppard in mass effect springs to mind when i try to think up a recent game protagonist without a dark past. hell the rookie from odst doesnt count because he ist a character. he has no lines, you just fill his shoes. that and reach is turning out to be halo's tattoine "why make new locations and stories in the entire universe?, lets keep going back to the same place and milk that teat dry.
gah!, pointless rant since i'll probably play it anyway, that guy just came off like a douche.

we need to be sold every game by peter molynuex. he could promise the world, then spit in your face and instantly apologise for it and its okay because he will try harder next time.:lol:

capncnut
11-Jan-2010, 08:14 PM
we need to be sold every game by peter molynuex
"This game will have the largest playing area ever made, takes a thousand hours to beat, will give you a blowjob AND make you a cup of tea in the morning. No, I'm not kidding!" :lol:

Danny
11-Jan-2010, 08:31 PM
"This game will have the largest playing area ever made, takes a thousand hours to beat, will give you a blowjob AND make you a cup of tea in the morning. No, I'm not kidding!" :lol:

-and we'd all fucking believe him!

CoinReturn
11-Feb-2010, 08:48 PM
Just announced that the Halo: Reach multiplayer beta will launch on May 3rd.

CoinReturn
12-Feb-2010, 04:07 PM
First ViDoc, "Once More Unto the Breach":

T0_jiB2hqeQ

Hype! :hyper: