PDA

View Full Version : The Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile

DjfunkmasterG
16-Dec-2009, 03:06 PM
Which do you prefer and why?

Do you believe that Shawshank deserves the #1 spot on IMDB's top 250?

Do you think The Green Mile is as good as Shawshank Redemption?

SRP76
16-Dec-2009, 03:14 PM
Shawshank. Green Mile was good, but I prefer the non-supernatural movie.

SymphonicX
16-Dec-2009, 03:19 PM
^^^ same.

Shawshank was superior for me because it lacked both a supernatural element and Tom "Tussle my hair Mr Hanks" Hanks. Ugh. I hate that long streak of piss. Plus it had Morgan Freeman's relaxing voice, and some great characters.

Although Green Mile had a small role for Barry Pepper and that guy is actually a plain awesome actor. Very good film having said all that.

darth los
16-Dec-2009, 03:26 PM
Green mile, all day. I actually like the fact that it has supernatural elements to it.

It also makes it more family friendly. If a prison movie can be that. :lol:

:cool:

bassman
16-Dec-2009, 03:37 PM
Shawshank. Not sure why.....just like it the most.

AcesandEights
16-Dec-2009, 04:02 PM
Shawshank. Green Mile was good, but I prefer the non-supernatural movie.
:thumbsup:

Green Mile was good, but Shawshank resonates because of a certain depth and reality with regards to the human spirit and condition (if not necessarily the shape of the story itself).

darth los
16-Dec-2009, 04:05 PM
:thumbsup:

Green Mile was good, but Shawshank resonates because of a certain depth and reality with regards to the human spirit and condition (if not necessarily the shape of the story itself).

And the same couldn't be said for the Green Mile?

MinionZombie
16-Dec-2009, 04:51 PM
Symph - Barry Pepper, fact fans, does the voice of Cpl Dunn in Modern Warfare 2. :) I had no idea till I saw that on t'interwebz.

Anyway, I voted Shawshank. The Green Mile is clearly indebted to Shawshank in numerous ways, but it is still a good movie - it's been on telly loads in the UK of late - but it just doesn't measure up to Shawshank which is just pure brilliance.

It's so perfectly put together, with great characters, and such an involving style. Seeing how Andy's escape unfolded is nothing short of gripping. It really is a feel good movie too, even though it often beats you down - but for every beat down, there's a victory, and then of course it all works out in the end with justice finding those deserving of it.

Plus the Family Guy rendition of Shawshank was hilarious. :D

Danny
16-Dec-2009, 05:07 PM
Anyway, I voted Shawshank. The Green Mile is clearly indebted to Shawshank in numerous ways, but it is still a good movie - it's been on telly loads in the UK of late - but it just doesn't measure up to Shawshank which is just pure brilliance.

Both adaptions of a steven king novel by the same director i would say its not so much indebted as just similar.

-but i vote green mile, first time i saw that i teared up a little at the end, and for me thats very fucking rare. The actor who played jon coffey gave a stellar performance.

SymphonicX
16-Dec-2009, 05:08 PM
Symph - Barry Pepper, fact fans, does the voice of Cpl Dunn in Modern Warfare 2. :) I had no idea till I saw that on t'interwebz.

Awesome...

I noticed how good he was when I saw "We were soldiers"...I hate Mel bloody Gibson and was bored to tears by him in that film - and as soon as Barry Pepper showed up as the photographer the whole movie changed...he really moved me in that film.

Great in Green Mile too. I think he's a really promising actor.

ProfessorChaos
16-Dec-2009, 05:17 PM
i had to vote for shawshank. i think some of king's best works are those that don't concern the supernatural...ie "the bachman books" (king at his best, imo)

barry pepper also did a great job in saving private ryan, flags of our fathers, and the 25th hour. great actor. he's a bit typecasted in some of his roles, but always shines on-screen.

MinionZombie
16-Dec-2009, 05:30 PM
Hell yeah Barry Pepper is groovy.

Hellsing - I know they're both written by King, what I was meaning is that they're so damn similar that clearly The Green Mile is indebted to Shawshank. Likewise with the movies, which were both directed by the same dude - ergo, more indebtedness.

Tricky
16-Dec-2009, 06:55 PM
Theres parts of Shawshank that make me feel tears welling up everytime I watch it, I dont blubber cos im a gadgey but you know what I mean, when you get that feeling?
Green mile is a very good film & aside from the supernatural element is quite similar, but doesnt quite beat Shawshank

mista_mo
16-Dec-2009, 06:58 PM
Both films are great, but I've always loved the Green Mile more. One of the few movies that actually made me cry.

AcesandEights
16-Dec-2009, 07:02 PM
And the same couldn't be said for the Green Mile?

Green Mile seems to m, more fanciful and cartoonish by comparison. You can make arguments to the contrary, but I'm still going to tell you you're wrong :D

capncnut
16-Dec-2009, 07:07 PM
Am I alone in saying I wasn't particularly blown away by either?

DjfunkmasterG
16-Dec-2009, 07:36 PM
Lets also not forget Barry Pepper was in Battlefield Earth.

However, Barry did do a great job in TGM, and SPR.

darth los
16-Dec-2009, 08:07 PM
Am I alone in saying I wasn't particularly blown away by either?

Yes. :shifty:

capncnut
16-Dec-2009, 08:12 PM
Yes. :shifty:
Not if I rig it. :shifty:

Andy
16-Dec-2009, 08:22 PM
Nope ill agree with you on that one mate, Although to be fair i have really fallen into my personal click with movies and if it isnt a horror from the 1970's or 80's i usually really struggle to get into it.

Nathalie
16-Dec-2009, 08:30 PM
Green mile was okay but I'm not a fan of it either.

capncnut
16-Dec-2009, 08:31 PM
Mwahaha. :elol:

AcesandEights
16-Dec-2009, 08:38 PM
Four people have responded 'neither film'?

Madness!

DjfunkmasterG
16-Dec-2009, 09:01 PM
Four people have responded 'neither film'?

Madness!

Not really... I am sure there have to be at least 10 people who hate or at least do not like either film who haunt these forums

jded
16-Dec-2009, 09:10 PM
There is a little conflict within me on these two. I have seen both but only read one. I actually broke down and cried somewhere towards the end of reading The Green Mile. I'm sure the film had me welling up some too, but not like the novel.

Never read Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. It had been a pain in the neck finding Different Seasons, because at one time there was this mystique about it and rarity to finding it for purchase. As for the movie I'd be willing to watch it more than once and have. I felt the film really captured some great performances. You truly feel guilty without having done anything to deserve it because your well aware of the advantage being taken and the abuse of power by authority. Then in the end you feel redeemed through justice being served.

For the vote I went with Shawshank.

Tricky
16-Dec-2009, 09:18 PM
However, Barry did do a great job in TGM, and SPR.

And as Galloway in "We were soldiers" :)

DjfunkmasterG
17-Dec-2009, 12:03 PM
Haven't watched We Were Soldiers... I keep hearing that Gibson destoryed that film with his mediocre performance.

Tricky
17-Dec-2009, 12:10 PM
Haven't watched We Were Soldiers... I keep hearing that Gibson destoryed that film with his mediocre performance.

I thought his performance was pretty good in it actually, and Hal Moore that he was playing gave it his backing. A few lads I know who've served in Iraq & Afghan said the combat shown in we were soldiers is pretty damned realistic too

Ghost Of War
17-Dec-2009, 12:18 PM
I love both films, but prefer Shawshank for one reason alone...it doesn't have Tom Hanks in it.

MinionZombie
17-Dec-2009, 12:19 PM
I thought his performance was pretty good in it actually, and Hal Moore that he was playing gave it his backing. A few lads I know who've served in Iraq & Afghan said the combat shown in we were soldiers is pretty damned realistic too
Aye it's definitely a good movie. You should check it out Deej.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Dec-2009, 12:41 PM
Added to my my Netflix Queue

SymphonicX
17-Dec-2009, 01:11 PM
its defo worth a watch if you can stomach Mel Gibson and his dribbling lunacy.

Barry pepper, as I said before, makes that movie shine. And as tricky said, the combat is pretty spot on from all accounts - I spoke to a vet of the vietnam war online and he couldn't praise it enough...!

But still...mel gibson....ARGHHHHHHHHHH!

deadpunk
17-Dec-2009, 01:22 PM
Shawshank. Although, my opinion might be biased as I enjoyed the novella more than the Green Mile serial as well.

zombie04
17-Dec-2009, 07:40 PM
I voted for Green Mile. While I love Shawshank and the entire cast, I have the memories of seeing GM for the first time while Shawshank just seems like it's always been around. Both are outstanding films, but for the vote I'd go with GM. Besides, Tom Hanks, Barry Pepper, David Morse, Gary Sinise, James Cromwells, and Michael Jeter, that's just one outstanding cast (not to say Shawshank didn't have one as well, the Kurgan as a prison guard for one)

DjfunkmasterG
17-Dec-2009, 08:41 PM
Clancy Brown was definitely a stand out and the overall feel of TSR is awesome, but something about the spiritula context of The Green Mile just seems to make it the better film. at least for me, but I still love Shawshank

MinionZombie
18-Dec-2009, 10:11 AM
Gotta love the Family Guy version of TSR:

GsaBN-wJFro

DjfunkmasterG
18-Dec-2009, 10:28 AM

GsaBN-wJFro

ROTFLMGDAO

That was fucking hilarious.

"Don't know why he chose enchilada night." :lol:

EvilNed
18-Dec-2009, 11:59 AM
They ruined a perfectly good Green Mile with spirituality, if you ask me.

DjfunkmasterG
18-Dec-2009, 12:20 PM

Actually i could argue that to great extent but I know most of us would agree to disagree.

Basically you have a story set in the great depression, and the south, a place very hard hit by the depression, and a place steeped in spiritual enlightenment.

A majority of southerners are hard core christians, so the context of the story isn't that far out of place, and the subcontext of the story is whether you want to believe in a greater power. Tis a fine line with some people, but overall this is the simplicity of the story.

MinionZombie
18-Dec-2009, 12:37 PM
ROTFLMGDAO

That was fucking hilarious.

"Don't know why he chose enchilada night." :lol:

I also loved "vagina boob" - goddamn I damn near choked on my lunch when that line was said. :D

DjfunkmasterG
18-Dec-2009, 03:24 PM
Great parody don't know how I missed it.

mista_mo
18-Dec-2009, 03:44 PM
I didn't like that so much..maybe it is because I am not a big Family Guy fan anymore? I dunno, I just never found it to be very funny.

deadpunk
18-Dec-2009, 04:59 PM

I've read Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption more times than I can count, but I think I only read the Green Mile once... I thought I recalled the whole thing with John Coffey being spiritual to begin with? Am I mistaken? :confused:

MinionZombie
18-Dec-2009, 05:26 PM
Great parody don't know how I missed it.
It was part of an episode in which they did 3 Family Guy versions of Stephen King novels - the other two were Misery, and Stand By Me - both of which were hilarious.

bassman
18-Dec-2009, 05:32 PM

GsaBN-wJFro

WTF? I haven't watch Family Guy in years because it became the same repetitive crap....but it's gotten THIS bad? Ugh...

MinionZombie
18-Dec-2009, 05:37 PM
WTF? I haven't watch Family Guy in years because it became the same repetitive crap....but it's gotten THIS bad? Ugh...
Bizarre ... back in about season 5 or 6 is when, for me, it got shite 95% of the time. Fortunately the episodes have really picked up again, and that Stephen King episode was one of the funniest of the latest couple of seasons (same goes for episode 8x01, which I had to watch a second time the day after cos I laughed so much).

bassman
18-Dec-2009, 05:40 PM
I think I stopped watching it around the...fourth season? I know after it was brought back from being cancelled it was the same jokes over and over again.

Fighting the chicken, the "shhhh ahhhhh", animal or object with gay voice, old man pedophile, etc.

I gave up on it after I kept seeing those same jokes. The first few seasons are still hilarious, though.

And now they've got a Cleveland spinoff???? I watched about 15 minutes of that show and wasn't sure if it was even meant to be a comedy...

EvilNed
18-Dec-2009, 05:51 PM
Actually i could argue that to great extent but I know most of us would agree to disagree.

Basically you have a story set in the great depression, and the south, a place very hard hit by the depression, and a place steeped in spiritual enlightenment.

A majority of southerners are hard core christians, so the context of the story isn't that far out of place, and the subcontext of the story is whether you want to believe in a greater power. Tis a fine line with some people, but overall this is the simplicity of the story.

Someone wrote in this thread that the Shawshank Redemption was a great film about the human condition. And the very inclusion of spiritual overtones into The Green Mile ruined that film's chances of getting anywhere near as close to having real and human characters. In real situations. The Green Mile was too melodramatic and too silly for me.

You may like the spirituality in the film. I think it's very silly.

MinionZombie
18-Dec-2009, 06:03 PM
haha, The Cleveland Show isn't very good is it? Even still, the last two or three episodes have stepped up considerably ... but not enough to match Family Guy or The Simpson's (which is also doing a lot better these days after many 'teen-years' of pish-ness).

Aye, I think there was an air of doing the same gags repeatedly (and certainly doing too many of those "like the time when" gags - I mean fuck, in season 5 it just got LUDICROUS how many of those they did per show, and it wasn't at all funny). Being a bit obsessive though, I keep watching these shows, and as such I'm always glad when the quality picks up again.