PDA

View Full Version : Dan O'Bannon Dies

zombie04
18-Dec-2009, 06:29 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this latest obit, but here it is.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43415

I always liked this guy. While Return of the Living Dead catches a lot of crap now and then I still find it very enjoyable, and Alien was a brilliant script when it was put in the hands of Ridley Scott. In all the interviews I've seen him in he always really seemed to enjoy what he did and never had the problem admitting where he could've done better.

MoonSylver
18-Dec-2009, 07:25 AM
Aw...very sad...from all the interviews I've seen he always seemed like a really nice & witty guy. Nice "quickie" career retrospective from AICN. RIP Mr. O'Bannon.:(

clanglee
18-Dec-2009, 07:50 AM
Damn, that's sad. I liked ole Dan. Hugely influential in the horror/scifi genres. He wrote Alien, Lifeforce, Invaders from Mars, Dead and Burried, Total Recall, and of course wrote and directed Return of the Living dead. RIP Dan the Man

EvilNed
18-Dec-2009, 08:44 AM
Nooo! My childhood hero. :(

DjfunkmasterG
18-Dec-2009, 09:30 AM
Well that sucks... RIP Dan, you were a huge influence. :(

capncnut
18-Dec-2009, 09:39 AM
You know what? That Harry Knowles ain't half a rambling name dropping fat fuck. I really can't stand the man...

Anyway, damned shame about Dan. He wrote/co-wrote some of the finest: Dark Star, Alien, Lifeforce, Total Recall, etc. And of course he wrote and directed Return Of The Living Dead. I have to say this isn't a surprise however, as he looks in terrible health in some of the last photos/interviews I saw.

He will be missed. :(

DjfunkmasterG
18-Dec-2009, 12:21 PM
Guess I am going to have an in memory screening of ROTLD and Alien tonight.

deadpunk
18-Dec-2009, 12:34 PM
Sad, 'specially this close to the holidays. :(

bassman
18-Dec-2009, 12:44 PM
That's a shame.:(

God bless him for his contribution to Alien. But fuck him for soiling Romero's good name with ROTLD.:p

kortick
18-Dec-2009, 01:18 PM
sad loss
he was a guy who could come up with some
quality material and was generally liked by all.

John Carpenter named the weatherman in The Fog
after him.

DjfunkmasterG
18-Dec-2009, 01:51 PM
http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=26564

rongravy
18-Dec-2009, 06:42 PM
Damn.
RIP, dood.

darth los
18-Dec-2009, 07:10 PM
That's a shame.:(

God bless him for his contribution to Alien. But fuck him for soiling Romero's good name with ROTLD.:p

As a matter of fact if you watch the film with commentary he very directly states that he purposely created these new zombies out of respect for Romero. He didn't want to be a hack and obviously make films with creatures that "belong" to GAr (as fulci and so many others have done), so he put his own spin on it and made it his own.

Still in my top 5 though.

:cool:

bassman
18-Dec-2009, 07:15 PM
As a matter of fact if you watch the film with commentary he very directly states that he purposely created these new zombies out of respect for Romero. He didn't want to be a hack and obviously make films with creatures that "belong" to GAr (as fulci and so many others have done), so he put his own spin on it and made it his own.

Sure. He changed the zombies so they wouldn't be related to Romero's. Fair enough. But then why did he have an entire scene about Romero and how Night was "real"? He attempted to directly relate his film to Romero's. Pretty much a hack move, imo.

I'm not trying to rag on the guy. He had a hand in Alien, so that instantly makes him cool in my book. It's a shame he passed, but I'll never forgive him for the shitfest that is ROTLD.:cool:

Not to mention it's his fault that everyone now thinks Zombies only eat brains. I hate that shit....

capncnut
18-Dec-2009, 07:21 PM
Still in my top 5 though.
It's a great film and one that I proudly display in my top ten. :)

darth los
18-Dec-2009, 07:28 PM
Sure. He changed the zombies so they wouldn't be related to Romero's. Fair enough. But then why did he have an entire scene about Romero and how Night was "real"? He attempted to directly relate his film to Romero's. Pretty much a hack move, imo.

I'm not trying to rag on the guy. He had a hand in Alien, so that instantly makes him cool in my book. It's a shame he passed, but I'll never forgive him for the shitfest that is ROTLD.:cool:

Not to mention it's his fault that everyone now thinks Zombies only eat brains. I hate that shit....

Good point.

I also hate that the pop culture representation of zombies are as brain hungry ghouls. I pointed out in another thread that Gar's ghouls almost specifically refrain from eating the brain for some reason. But as usual perception rules. It's our job to spread the Gospel of Gar and the truth about shamblers ! :D

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

It's a great film and one that I proudly display in my top ten. :)

And that my friend is why you are my fav staff person. ;)

U just make alot of sense.

DjfunkmasterG
18-Dec-2009, 08:51 PM
Good point.

I also hate that the pop culture representation of zombies are as brain hungry ghouls. I pointed out in another thread that Gar's ghouls almost specifically refrain from eating the brain for some reason. But as usual perception rules. It's our job to spread the Gospel of Gar and the truth about shamblers ! :D

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

And that my friend is why you are my fav staff person. ;)

U just make alot of sense.

Actually in Land a zombie ate brains

bassman
18-Dec-2009, 09:42 PM
Actually in Land a zombie ate brains

Ya know....to loathe Land as much as you do, you sure do know a lot about it. I didn't even remember that. Admit it....you're a closet Land lover.:p

But yeah....Romero's Zombies aren't picky. They eat everything. F*ck those talking zombies on a brain diet...

MoonSylver
18-Dec-2009, 10:40 PM

Actually I always took that as a more calculated move, both for laughs & to distance this movie from GAR even further by pointing out that this was different? Also a bit of an homage as well by make sure to give GAR a mention & prop's?

If he wanted to ride NOTLD's coat tails he had AMPLE opportunity to do so. Hell, John Russo's original book/script was a DIRECT SEQUEL to NOTLD! If they wanted to really directly relate to NOTLD they could have just made that instead.

I know you REALLY hate ROTLD & all, which is cool, but I just don't see what you're reaching for there...no offense, just IMO.:)

bassman
18-Dec-2009, 11:05 PM
I don't think I'm reaching for anything. The way I see it, Obannon didn't know what kind of film he was making....

But I know i'm in the minority, so I expect a lashing for any negative comments I may have.

MoonSylver
19-Dec-2009, 02:15 AM
But I know i'm in the minority, so I expect a lashing for any negative comments I may have.

Oh you know you're just asking for it...

http://www.bmfinkent.co.uk/forum/uploads/Admin/2005-12-19_202548_whipping.gif

:lol:

rongravy
19-Dec-2009, 03:42 AM
I'd have to say the first two movies of ROTLD were good. 3 was ok, but the rest were shit. i guess dan only did the first one?
i don't see him as a hack, i see him as a guy who did his own thang...