PDA

View Full Version : GameSpot at Sega--Reader Questions Answered!

darth los
29-Dec-2009, 06:27 PM
There are some cool updates and info. about upcoming/established franchises hear. The Big one for me was the news about shenmue. :(

We can keep hoping, eh cap?

Although, that yakuza title looks promising the news I've been waiting on for years is sega's next console. Every system they produced was classic including the dreamcast. I just refuse to believe that they are done with consoles.

Shenmue

GameSpot readers: There's been a lot of community response regarding Shenmue. Does Sega ever intend to finish the series? If so, when? And if not, why not?

Darren Macbeth: We have read all the comments and posts on Shenmue. We wish we had an answer for you all, but at this stage, there are no plans to revisit the franchise.

GS readers: Is the big fan base and heavy community interest in Shenmue enough to inspire Sega to make another game? Or does that decision rely on other factors such as budget, and so on?

DM: Game development is a large investment with a complex process behind it that needs to span across many years. Before any game can get a green light, there are many levels of research and study that need to go into ensuring that it is the correct path to take. As important as interest from the fan base is, this is by no means the only indication factor that needs to be considered.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6244536.html

:cool:

capncnut
29-Dec-2009, 06:45 PM
Shenmue has been over for a long time. It was in the record books for being the most expensive videogame ever made - 70 million - and it grossed a very tiny fraction of that. Shenmue II didn't fare much better, even though it got a release on the Xbox, as well as the DC.

The fact remains is this: If SEGA make Shenmue III and it bombs again, the company will go bust. Simple as that. It wouldn't be the same anyway because Yu Suzuki stepped down.

darth los
29-Dec-2009, 06:54 PM
Shenmue has been over for a long time. It was in the record books for being the most expensive videogame ever made - 70 million - and it grossed a very tiny fraction of that. Shenmue II didn't fare much better, even though it got a release on the Xbox, as well as the DC.

The fact remains is this: If SEGA make Shenmue III and it bombs again, the company will go bust. Simple as that. It wouldn't be the same anyway because Yu Suzuki stepped down.

I wasn't aware of the financial bust it was but 70 million!?! And that was back circa 2000. WTF were they spending all that dough on?

Still a great game though. If not a direct sequel, perhaps they could make another game that has many of the same elements. That way they could have a "fresh start" all the while still producing pretty much the same game.

Isn't that what they do with most shooters anyhoo?

capncnut
29-Dec-2009, 07:12 PM
70 mill was the budget for all three games together - they were developed and made simultaneously. Shenmue was planned as a title that would send Dreamcast sales soaring over the PS2. Granted, it shit on anything Sony had to offer at the time but they still slayed them. Within a year, the DC went from £250 down to £50. A fucking travesty. It was calculated that for Shenmue to remotely break even, every single DC owner would have to buy both games.

Even a hefty portion of Shenmue III was developed (it was originally a DC-only trilogy) before the writers got carried away and realised that a further three games were needed to conclude it's epic storyline. They put Shenmue II out on the Xbox, and when that bombed also, the whole thing was canned. It cost SEGA a lot of money and it is said to be one of the factors why they are semi-skint at the moment.

It's been speculated that the whole franchise grossed little more than 20 mill overall, but I'm not sure of the exact figures.

slickwilly13
29-Dec-2009, 07:22 PM
You probably have as much as a chance of seeing this game as I do with a fully translated remaked of the Shining Force 3 trilogy or a new offline jrpg called Phantasy Star 5. And since I am on the subject about rpgs, wtf is this garbage about releasing VC 2 on PSP and focusing on multplayer? Do you not realize the capabilities of your very own PS3? Also for the record as a Western gamer, I do enjoy slow turn based games, so do not speak for me and tell me what I want to buy.

darth los
29-Dec-2009, 08:25 PM
70 mill was the budget for all three games together - they were developed and made simultaneously. Shenmue was planned as a title that would send Dreamcast sales soaring over the PS2. Granted, it shit on anything Sony had to offer at the time but they still slayed them. Within a year, the DC went from £250 down to £50. A fucking travesty. It was calculated that for Shenmue to remotely break even, every single DC owner would have to buy both games.

Even a hefty portion of Shenmue III was developed (it was originally a DC-only trilogy) before the writers got carried away and released that a further three games were needed to conclude it's epic storyline. They put Shenmue II out on the Xbox, and when that bombed also, the whole thing was canned. It cost SEGA a lot of money and it is said to be one of the factors why they are semi-skint at the moment.

It's been speculated that the whole franchise grossed little more than 20 mill overall, but I'm not sure of the exact figures.

I see.

It seems to me that if a company is going to go belly up due to a bad 70 mil investment then perhaps they should be out of business.

I have a hard time seeing a AAA title from Sony MS or Nintendo bombing and the company going under soon thereafter.

capncnut
29-Dec-2009, 08:52 PM
It seems to me that if a company is going to go belly up due to a bad 70 mil investment then perhaps they should be out of business.
You have to see that the 70 mill was the cost of the game. The promotions, soundtrack, movie (yes even a movie was made out of the original game and played theatrically) all cost SEGA bonus bunces. As far as they are concerned, Shenmue is a fucking albatross. :(

Danny
29-Dec-2009, 10:45 PM
You probably have as much as a chance of seeing this game as I do with a fully translated remaked of the Shining Force 3 trilogy or a new offline jrpg called Phantasy Star 5. And since I am on the subject about rpgs, wtf is this garbage about releasing VC 2 on PSP and focusing on multplayer? Do you not realize the capabilities of your very own PS3? Also for the record as a Western gamer, I do enjoy slow turn based games, so do not speak for me and tell me what I want to buy.

they said valkyria chronicles 2 is more a testing ground, they got an easier to make sequel out to test the waters for the franchise. seems a bit stupid when the first game has a cult following- a lot like shenmue actually, and even got an anime series. But basically this could be put out much faster than a full ps3 title, and if it proves theres legs in the franchise it allows them to start on a proper ps3 sequel sooner rather than later.
but ive played it and aside from making medics a fucking troop option which will suck in terms of command points and tactics but aside from that its the same game with only a minor graphical downgrade, the music and styles all still there and it'll be cheaper too, so i cant really complain.

if it gets a uk release. we got the dlc over here so i hope so.

CoinReturn
30-Dec-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm glad we at least got two epic Shenmue games, most cult classics are lucky just to have the original game greenlit.

That said, I'll probably be picking up Sega All Stars Racing, if only to let Ryo drive the forklift around the track one last time. *sniff*

capncnut
30-Dec-2009, 01:44 AM
That said, I'll probably be picking up Sega All Stars Racing, if only to let Ryo drive the forklift around the track one last time. *sniff*
<slow version of sedge tree theme> :(

CoinReturn
30-Dec-2009, 03:37 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/2d8onir.png

Make it happen, Sega.

capncnut
30-Dec-2009, 01:36 PM
You know what, Frank. If I saw that hit the shelves, I think I'd actually fall to my knees right there in the game store and weep uncontrollably. My hand would be shaking like a junkie when I put the disc in the tray.

So help me God, I may even have a heart attack during the intro cutscene...

darth los
30-Dec-2009, 05:54 PM

Make it happen, Sega.

What is that concept art? That can't be real, can it?

AcesandEights
30-Dec-2009, 06:00 PM
Capn, I think you've forgotten more about Shenmue then I've ever actually known.

That's a lot of info!

krakenslayer
30-Dec-2009, 06:05 PM
The problem is... if Shenmue 3 comes out, you just know it's going that, with everyone's sky-high expectations it's going to be a fan anti-climax of Land of the Dead proportions, no matter how good it is.

darth los
30-Dec-2009, 06:19 PM
The problem is... if Shenmue 3 comes out, you just know it's going that, with everyone's sky-high expectations it's going to be a fan anti-climax of Land of the Dead proportions, no matter how good it is.

Spore is another perfect example of just that sort of thing. :(

capncnut
30-Dec-2009, 06:50 PM
What is that concept art?
Fan art.

They really came close to a new Shenmue game in 2006 with Shenmue Online. It was gonna be an MMO for the PC but as of 2008, it is in limbo, costing SEGA another shitload of cashola. Check out the video below and foward it to 2:12. It's beautiful.

cpE2sKvgJtU&feature=related
What a total waste. :dead: