PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Decades

darth los
29-Dec-2009, 08:22 PM
This is a cool little trip down memory lane. It actualy reminded me of some stuff that has long since left my memory bank. Enjoy.

(Dreamcast even gets a bum rap in this one. WTF MAN !?!) It definitely seems to be the rodney Dangerfield of gaming consoles. ( It gets no respect for those either not in the know or those too young to know know what the fuck a Rodney Dangerfield even is ! :lol:)

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1057013p1.html

:cool:

AcesandEights
29-Dec-2009, 08:51 PM
Holy crap, I never heard of the Fairchild F (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Channel_F) before :stunned:

Woooweee, lookitthatthang!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Channelf.png

Looks like something that should play your 8-track tapes of Air Supply :p

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

PS--That " 'your' 8-track tapes of Air Supply" is meant in a general, metaphorical sense of the word you/r. I do not think you have 8-track tapes of Air Supply hanging around...unless you actually do...? :rockbrow:

darth los
30-Dec-2009, 06:17 PM
[/COLOR]PS--That " 'your' 8-track tapes of Air Supply" is meant in a general, metaphorical sense of the word you/r. I do not think you have 8-track tapes of Air Supply hanging around...unless you actually do...? :rockbrow:

So what if i do ? :shifty:

But tell me that thing doesn't look like they chopped Darth Vader's head off and made into a crappy console. :lol:

And what the hell is that peripheral all about? You mean to tell me consoles came with butt plugs back in the day? :rockbrow:

AcesandEights
30-Dec-2009, 06:20 PM
And what the hell is that peripheral all about? You mean to tell me consoles came with butt plugs back in the day? :rockbrow:

It was the 70s, they were giving them away at banks when you open a savings account, along with some blow and a case of herpes.

Mike70
30-Dec-2009, 06:29 PM
here's one that will take some of you down memory lane:

http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpage/ODYSSEY-computer.jpg

darth los
30-Dec-2009, 06:49 PM
Those old game boxes certainly had some interesting art on the cover, huh?

They were probably made by the same dudes who used to draw fabio on romance novel covers.

krakenslayer
30-Dec-2009, 06:50 PM
They were probably made by the same dudes who used to draw fabio on romance novel covers.

Let's not go THERE:

http://chaosrexmachinae.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/ironsword_cover.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

capncnut
30-Dec-2009, 06:58 PM
Dragon 32, mate. ;)

http://www.vintage-computer.com/images/dragon32.jpg

Dragon Quest was the shit! :thumbsup:

clanglee
30-Dec-2009, 07:53 PM
http://www.vgmastersclub.com/images/c64/commodore-64-box.jpg

The C64 was what I did 95% of gaming on for years. What an exciting present that was to open back in the day. Could you believe the damned thing cost almost $400.00 back then?

darth los
30-Dec-2009, 08:15 PM
It's crazy how that price point doesn't change very much, huh?

It seems as if they only come out with new systems because the older ones have depreciated and they need new ones to justify that $400 tag.

Mike70
30-Dec-2009, 08:19 PM
here's another one i spent eons of time playing when i was a kid:

http://giftqb.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/colecovision.jpg

i think that of all the old school game systems i played, this was my favorite.

capncnut
30-Dec-2009, 08:30 PM
http://giftqb.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/colecovision.jpg
Still have mine, just can't part with it...

darth los
30-Dec-2009, 08:32 PM
That controller was classic!! Especially for pong, it was like it was custom built for that game.

And another thing from a bygone era is: Remember when consoles actually came with free games? What was the last console to do that by the way?

capncnut
30-Dec-2009, 08:34 PM
And another thing from a bygone era is: Remember when consoles actually came with free games? What was the last console to do that by the way?
Nintendo Wii.

krakenslayer
30-Dec-2009, 08:47 PM
Nintendo Wii.

LOL! Yep. There's quite a few PSP 3000 hardbundles doing the rounds these days too - one comes with Invisimals and a PSP camera.

Danny
30-Dec-2009, 09:41 PM
That controller was classic!! Especially for pong, it was like it was custom built for that game.

The crisis core PSP. not only did it come with crisis core: final fantasy 7, but was given a special ff paintjob for it.

bassman
30-Dec-2009, 10:25 PM
The most I go back is the Atari. I actually played my old atari not too long ago. Still worked like a charm...

darth los
31-Dec-2009, 01:22 PM
The crisis core PSP. not only did it come with crisis core: final fantasy 7, but was given a special ff paintjob for it.

I was thinking more along the lines of consoles, but you're right it did. :o

It just seems as if we pay more and more but get less in the end.

As a matter of fact we do get games that come with consoles only they're called bundles now. :rolleyes:

The thing of it is where as back in the day the game was included in the original price. Now days if you want games with your systems you'd better be prepared to pay for it.

The worst is when a console first launches. Supplies are so scarce that they can get consumers to pay upwards of 800 dollars to get one. The catch is you have to buy 3-4 bulshit games along with it. :mad:

Danny
31-Dec-2009, 01:25 PM
When i got my 360 at launch from GAME, who are highway robbers in terms of trade ins but get bundles spot on occasionally i got a 360...premium is it? i dont remember, anyway for the £400 or whatever it was i get free kameo, condemned, burnout revenge, some tony hawks game and ....something else ive forgotten, king kong i think.

darth los
31-Dec-2009, 01:31 PM
When i got my 360 at launch from GAME, who are highway robbers in terms of trade ins but get bundles spot on occasionally i got a 360...premium is it? i dont remember, anyway for the £400 or whatever it was i get free kameo, condemned, burnout revenge, some tony hawks game and ....something else ive forgotten, king kong i think.

Well, you are legendary around these here parts for finding insane deals like that. :lol:

So I'm not suprised, and those are actually pretty good games.

Yeah, it probably was king kong. I remember it being released around that time. I believe Perfect Dark Zero was another launch title as well.

Danny
31-Dec-2009, 01:58 PM
Well, you are legendary around these here parts for finding insane deals like that. :lol:

So I'm not suprised, and those are actually pretty good games.

Yeah, it probably was king kong. I remember it being released around that time. I believe Perfect Dark Zero was another launch title as well.

pretty sure it was king kong, i rmeember killign a trex, getting a 'ba-bing!' achievement and going "what's that?"

Though i believe my first achievement was from Kameo.

darth los
31-Dec-2009, 03:23 PM
Let's not go THERE:

:lol::lol::lol:

And Let it never be uttered that Aces does not produce !! :lol:

That's awesome dude! Here's a little something to supplement that.

MOre cheesy awesomeness !! :lol:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/horrible-video-game-boxart---s/

SRP76
31-Dec-2009, 07:50 PM
Atari VCS/2600 was my first console. Since I was poor, I didn't get one until '83 when the bottom fell out and we could get one at the flea market for about 40 bucks with a Pac-Man cartridge. Ended up getting a bunch of those $5 games over the next 3 years, like that broken-ass version of Donkey Kong, and the ever-awesome Pitfall.

A friend of mine had the ColecoVision, which was awesome for Donkey Kong, Miner 2049er, Smurf, and Turbo. Didn't care for the rest of the games he had.

All of it became stone-age when the NES was unleashed, though.

rongravy
31-Dec-2009, 10:14 PM

Ha!

I started out with an Atari, then moved up to a Nintendo, then Sega, then PS1&2, then Gamecube, and finally an XBOX.
I recently bought a Nintendo and have been playing the shit outta Mike Tyson's Punch out. That, or I play RE4 on Gamecube.
My kid calls it GHETTO, I like to think more along the lines of OLD SKOOL.
Hand/eye is what it's all about.
The crap they play on XBOX looks all the same to me. Boring. I don't wanna be trash talked, and smacked down, by teens and preteens...

SRP76
31-Dec-2009, 10:19 PM
My kid calls it GHETTO, I like to think more along the lines of OLD SKOOL.
Hand/eye is what it's all about.
The crap they play on XBOX looks all the same to me. Boring. I don't wanna be trash talked, and smacked down, by teens and preteens...

Stick their asses on the original Super Mario Brothers, and call them "ghetto" when they fail utterly.

Modern games are ridiculously easy compared to the so-called "ghetto" stuff. People blow through all these shooters in two days. But it'll take them a month to see the fourth screen on a Donkey Kong arcade machine.

And the main thing missing from most of these "pretty" games today is fun. Most of them feel more like "work". Pretty much goes against the whole point of playing.

Danny
31-Dec-2009, 10:49 PM
modern games are easier no doubt but the sheer amount of "through the lens of nostalgia" pisses me off. Sure mario bros. and metroid were harder than there modern versions but there still solid well made games with memorable music.
That doesnt mean that even the shittiest movie tie in game today is anywhere near as bad as some bootleg bible games type crap on older consoles. on the whole the good to shit ratio has gotten smaller over the years.

Man, god knows i played some fucking total shit on the PSX.

rongravy
31-Dec-2009, 10:52 PM
Stick their asses on the original Super Mario Brothers, and call them "ghetto" when they fail utterly.

Modern games are ridiculously easy compared to the so-called "ghetto" stuff. People blow through all these shooters in two days. But it'll take them a month to see the fourth screen on a Donkey Kong arcade machine.

And the main thing missing from most of these "pretty" games today is fun. Most of them feel more like "work". Pretty much goes against the whole point of playing.

I totally agree. And I put my kid on Mario to see how far she could get which isn't very...
I have a 17 year old who plays Guitar Hero with the controller. I know it defeats the purpose of actually learning how to play the real stuff, which I've bought him, but this is actually worse. Too lazy to pick up even the plastic fake guitar.
The funniest thing is my kids are awesome at their XBOX with all those confusing buttons, but give me a joystick and no more than a button or two and their asses are mine!!!

darth los
01-Jan-2010, 05:04 PM
modern games are easier no doubt but the sheer amount of "through the lens of nostalgia" pisses me off. Sure mario bros. and metroid were harder than there modern versions but there still solid well made games with memorable music.
That doesnt mean that even the shittiest movie tie in game today is anywhere near as bad as some bootleg bible games type crap on older consoles. on the whole the good to shit ratio has gotten smaller over the years.

Man, god knows i played some fucking total shit on the PSX.

You will laugh your ass off or your money back !! :thumbsup:

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm.htm

SRP76
01-Jan-2010, 09:15 PM
What kind of retard bought stuff like Bible Adventures thinking they were going to get a good game, in the first place?

You have to exercise some common sense when buying games. 99 times out of 100, you can spot a shitty game a mile away. You simply do not pick it up and take it to the checkout line. It's rare when a game "seems like" it will be great, but turns out to be pure shit when you play it.

krakenslayer
13-Jan-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah, if a game looks cool, it sometimes isn't. But if a game looks shitty it almost always is.

As common sense would dictate: if you only pick up games that look cool, you have a better chance of avoiding suckage.

darth los
13-Jan-2010, 06:42 PM
Yeah, if a game looks cool, it sometimes isn't. But if a game looks shitty it almost always is.

As common sense would dictate: if you only pick up games that look cool, you have a better chance of avoiding suckage.

Me thinks the chances of someone being caught off gaurd by a game nowdays is remote with a the hype preceeding a release and the reviews once it's out.

Danny
13-Jan-2010, 10:22 PM
Me thinks the chances of someone being caught off gaurd by a game nowdays is remote with a the hype preceeding a release and the reviews once it's out.

that doesnt just apply to modern games though, look at the origional zelda or metroid compared to shit like solar jetman or bible games, even with tech holdbacks they still create a style thats iconic, and thats the same today, shitty looking games often shit. teh moar j00 no.

darth los
14-Jan-2010, 12:48 AM
that doesnt just apply to modern games though, look at the origional zelda or metroid compared to shit like solar jetman or bible games, even with tech holdbacks they still create a style thats iconic, and thats the same today, shitty looking games often shit. teh moar j00 no.

Oh no there's no doubt that every gen has it's share of shit. But back in the day you might have said, "oh bible adventures, it'll be cool to kill goliath." And take the blind plunge. Nowdays every gaming site would have a big fat 0 on a scale of one to ten and people would automatically steer clear of it.

SymphonicX
18-Jan-2010, 03:31 PM
Those old game boxes certainly had some interesting art on the cover, huh?

now that you mention him....

That dude was promoting a rollercoaster in the 80s/90s and got his nose broken from a flying bird...totally hilarious...the only person to get hit by a bird on that rollercoaster was the cheesy douchebag promoting it...I still cry with laughter when the coaster pulls back into the station only to see his face covered in blood...WIN.

Mike70
18-Jan-2010, 04:01 PM
That dude was promoting a rollercoaster in the 80s/90s and got his nose broken from a flying bird...totally hilarious...the only person to get hit by a bird on that rollercoaster was the cheesy douchebag promoting it...I still cry with laughter when the coaster pulls back into the station only to see his face covered in blood...WIN.

you know, i really worry about most of us. you're usually so mr. non-violence but i guess that fabio brings out the worst in us all.

and yes, i find the bird smacking him one about the face funny as hell too.

guess we are both ate up.:lol:

krakenslayer
18-Jan-2010, 04:09 PM
iYT67eMimS0

The bird actually died: Goose - 0 | Fabio's neb of steel - 1 hahaha

Mike70
18-Jan-2010, 04:20 PM
iYT67eMimS0

The bird actually died: Goose - 0 | Fabio's neb of steel - 1 hahaha

i never understood the fascination with this guy. to me, all men are equally repulsive looking and i do mean all of them.

capncnut
18-Jan-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, he's like a pansy Scott Bakula on steroids.