PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing DVDs in your collection?

MinionZombie
04-Jan-2010, 10:38 AM
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/01/embarrassing-dvds-in-your-collection.html

I was perusing my collection t'other day and realised I'd built up a little group of DVDs I'm kind of embarrassed/ashamed to own, and kind of cringe at when I see them on my shelf. This list also includes guilty pleasures.

1) Bowling For Columbine...

In itself not too bad of a pseudo-documentary. However, Michael Moore is such an insufferable, hypocritical prat who now produces utter pants for a living, something which has become ever-more-prevalent in recent years, that it just feels a bit embarrassing to own this on DVD. Not only that, but it's the special edition.

Anyone else got DVDs in their collection they're embarrassed to own?

DjfunkmasterG
04-Jan-2010, 10:41 AM
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/01/embarrassing-dvds-in-your-collection.html

I was perusing my collection t'other day and realised I'd built up a little group of DVDs I'm kind of embarrassed/ashamed to own, and kind of cringe at when I see them on my shelf. This list also includes guilty pleasures.

I will admit once I divorced I happily took all the DVD's the wife purchased to the local DVD store/Pawn Shop and got rid of them... 175 in all.

However, in terms of guilty pleasure flicks, I own quite a bit, but the really embarassing stuff was weeded out after the divorce was finalized.

blind2d
04-Jan-2010, 12:18 PM
Maybe Thrashin'. Good skating, but... hmmm. "Smash Skates!"
Used to have Contagium, but got rid of that turd a while ago.
The first Gold Diggers DVD. Can't believe I paid six bucks for thirty seconds of god-awful cartoon!

paranoid101
04-Jan-2010, 12:20 PM
House of the Dead 1 and 2

That said I find the first one a guilty pleasure to watch:o

bassman
04-Jan-2010, 12:59 PM
Too many to name, really. Mostly the wife's stuff.

Twilight, Dirty Dancing, Purple Rain, those sorts of things...

capncnut
04-Jan-2010, 02:33 PM
I have nothing shit in my collection. I own nothing except sheer awesomeness! :D

krakenslayer
04-Jan-2010, 02:48 PM
I have nothing shit in my collection. I own nothing except sheer awesomeness! :D

LOL! Same here. If I own it, it is, by definition, awesome. It is my owning it that defines its awesomeness. :D

Therefore, Zombie Flesh Eaters 3 is awesome! :lol:

capncnut
04-Jan-2010, 03:07 PM
I guess the one film you would probably pull me up on, if you saw my collection, would be The Sound Of Music. But I'm not really embarrassed to own it because it think it's made of pure win. That or It's A Wonderful Life.

LOL! Same here. If I own it, it is, by definition, awesome. It is my owning it that defines its awesomeness. :D

Therefore, Zombie Flesh Eaters 3 is awesome! :lol:
Indeed. I can say the same for Grease 2. :D

darth los
04-Jan-2010, 05:06 PM
I can't believe no one has said this yet but...brace yourselves...wait for it...

Night of the Living Dead 30th...:shifty:

Danny
04-Jan-2010, 05:12 PM
I can't believe no one has said this yet but...brace yourselves...wait for it...

Night of the Living Dead 30th...:shifty:

i bought the trilogy box set for £2 so i dont regard that as embarassing, just a coaster i grimace at when i go to watch day or dawn, its not even worth bieng embarassed about, its just crap, i got 10 minutes into it, saw the priest with the soul patch and that disk will never go in mybluray player ever again.

LouCipherr
04-Jan-2010, 05:16 PM

Does LAND count? :shifty: :D

Seriously, the only DVDs in my collection that are a complete embarassment when people notice them are "PS I Love You" and "Music & Lyrics" or whatever that Hugh Grant/Drew Barrymore flick was (and that one is a HD-DVD, go figure).

They're the wife's DVDs, I swear. ;)

bassman
04-Jan-2010, 05:30 PM
Now that I think about it....I have all of my dead films together on one shelf and sometimes i'm embarassed that ROTLD and Dawn04 are up there...

AcesandEights
04-Jan-2010, 05:59 PM
Now that I think about it....I have all of my dead films together on one shelf and sometimes i'm embarassed that ROTLD and Dawn04 are up there...

You don't own Diary, eh? ;)

MinionZombie
04-Jan-2010, 06:06 PM
Interesting you mention musicals.

I have Singin' in the Rain (2-disc special edition) and that Fred Astair one with the Russian chick in it he goes sniffing around after ... I forget it's name now ... Silk Stockings, or something like that. I could go and find out but the internet is just running like total fucking ass of late with all these motherfuckers clogging up the internet over the Xmas season.

Yeah, Silk Stockings is the one. Not that I'm embarrassed by either, they're both good movies. Just as you brought it up. Plus it's always funny to see a movie such as those wedged between two slices of sleazy horror or something. :D

Why in my collection? I did a course one semester at uni called The Hollywood Musical. It was a really interesting course actually. I think even the lecturer was a smidge bemused (fact fans, the lecturer was the brother of Charlie Higson from The Fast Show - I shit you not - good lecturer too) by my joining, being that I rocked up in a HIM hoody or something like that no doubt with my spiky hair and general scruffter student look all over me, hehe.

I ditched another class that I immediately realised I didn't like, and chose Musicals instead to replace it and actually really enjoyed the class as, like I said, it would be interesting to learn about something I have no knowledge of.

bassman
04-Jan-2010, 06:07 PM
You don't own Diary, eh? ;)

I do....but it's not as disliked as the two mentioned before.:)

AcesandEights
04-Jan-2010, 06:09 PM
Interesting you mention musicals.

Oh, crap...remind me to add Mama Mia to the list once I get around to owning it :o

krakenslayer
04-Jan-2010, 06:37 PM
That or It's A Wonderful Life.

Nothing embarrassing about It's a Wonderful Life. That movie rocks. Only people who have never seen it all will slag it off as a saccharine, twee Christmas film - it's actually one dark and powerful movie.

darth los
04-Jan-2010, 06:46 PM
Nothing embarrassing about It's a Wonderful Life. That movie rocks. Only people who have never seen it all will slag it off as a saccharine, twee Christmas film - it's actually one dark and powerful movie.

That film is one of the greatest of all time, imo. It's absolutely timeless because it deals with human issues and that my friend will never change, as every student of history knows. Even going back to biblical times we are basically the same creature today with the same capacity for good and evil only with more technology.

:cool:

bassman
04-Jan-2010, 06:50 PM

The same could be said with a bunch of older films, though. People give those films hell just because they're old and in B&W.

One of my favorite all time flicks is To Kill A Mockingbird and i've gotten shit for it my entire life.:rolleyes:

MinionZombie
04-Jan-2010, 07:00 PM
To Kill A Mockingbird is brilliant. We did the book, and thus watched the film, in GCSE English Lit. Brilliant so it is, and Peck's performance is superb.

Danny
04-Jan-2010, 07:03 PM
To Kill A Mockingbird is brilliant. We did the book, and thus watched the film, in GCSE English Lit. Brilliant so it is, and Peck's performance is superb.

I did lord of the flie's, which makes me still expect a pigs head in lost.

DjfunkmasterG
04-Jan-2010, 07:29 PM
Does LAND count? :shifty: :D

I forgot about that one.... Yep a total embarassment. although I have to own it because I am in it. Otherwise I don't admit to many people I own LAND on HD DVD

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

I don't find ROTLD or DAWN 04 embarassing especially when DAY Contagium and Day 2008 exist

Tricky
04-Jan-2010, 07:37 PM
Windtalkers, Return of the living dead 3, the 6th day, Texas chainsaw massacre (original) & Hollow man. None of them are cringeworthy bad I guess, but I wish i'd just rented them or watched them on TV rather than buying them!

bassman
04-Jan-2010, 07:38 PM

Yes, yes it is. Peck's performance of Atticus Finch is one of the greatest characters of all time. I really do love it.

I've convinced my wife that if we ever have a boy, I'm naming him Atticus because our last name is similar. Atticus Fincher.:lol:

I don't find ROTLD or DAWN 04 embarassing especially when DAY Contagium and Day 2008 exist

I was talking about MY collection....I don't have those in my collection. Although Day08 would be great to own for parties.

krakenslayer
04-Jan-2010, 07:52 PM
Return of the living dead 3

Hey, that's my favourite RotLD film! :D Maybe that's something I should be embarrassed about... :shifty::lol:

Mike70
04-Jan-2010, 08:25 PM

i got rid of dawn 04 (thanks half price books!) and every other shitty zombie movie that i owned except for the classic romero flicks and a couple of others.

i've had an epiphany about how fucking stupid and poorly made most of those things are.

EvilNed
04-Jan-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm overall very comfortable with liking stuff other people consider to be "junk". Sort of comes with being a huge zombie-fan and a star trek geek to boot. I have very little I'm ashamed of owning. Me and my friends watched Flipper and Richie Rich the other day, out of our own free will!

I have plenty of films in my shelf that I think suck. But I'm not really ashamed of owning them. :p Among them are children of the living dead, for instance.

MoonSylver
04-Jan-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm overall very comfortable with liking stuff other people consider to be "junk". Sort of comes with being a huge zombie-fan and a star trek geek to boot. I have very little I'm ashamed of owni...

I have plenty of films in my shelf that I think suck. But I'm not really ashamed of owning them. :p Among them are children of the living dead, for instance.

This sums up my attitude pretty well too. I have a decent amount of crap in my collection, but if I was willing to buy it, that means I probably wanted it, ergo, I'm not ashamed to have it.:)

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jan-2010, 12:35 PM
Yes, yes it is. Peck's performance of Atticus Finch is one of the greatest characters of all time. I really do love it.

I've convinced my wife that if we ever have a boy, I'm naming him Atticus because our last name is similar. Atticus Fincher.:lol:

I was talking about MY collection....I don't have those in my collection. Although Day08 would be great to own for parties.

Making a drinking game out of how many choices of bad dialog are used on screen at any given moment. You'd be drunk in the first 5 minutes.

Only reason I even own Day 08 is that it was a Freebie Blu-Ray during a B1G1 sale at Best Buy, otherwise I wouldn't even touch it.

Infact I have about 13 Blu-Rays which have yet to be unsealed from their packaging, all of which were the freebie discs at B1G1 sales.

Saw IV
The SImpsons Movie
Day 08

Just to name a few....

Hey is anyone taking WB up on their DVD to Blu Program.... If you have a flick on DVD and their is a Blu-Ray counterpart and you want it you send in the artwork from the DVD + $7.95 and you get the film on Blu-Ray

http://www.dvd2blu.com/

They also have a Red 2 Blu program where as if you have a film on HD DVD you can trade it for a Blu-Ray, just send the artwork and $5.00

www.red2blu.com

LouCipherr
05-Jan-2010, 04:36 PM
They also have a Red 2 Blu program where as if you have a film on HD DVD you can trade it for a Blu-Ray, just send the artwork and $5.00

www.red2blu.com

I would, but I think my HD-DVD versions of the movies I do own are of better quality than their blu-ray partners.

Oh, one more embarrasing disc in my collection: 50 First Dates. I actually liked the movie, even though I hate Adam Sandler (loooove me some Drew Barrymore though.. *drool*) but I'm not sure if that's something I should be telling others. :lol:

bassman
05-Jan-2010, 04:40 PM
50 First Dates isn't that bad. It could be worse. Could be Little Nicky....

LouCipherr
05-Jan-2010, 04:44 PM
You have a point there, bassman. I guess there's a lot worse Sandler movies than this one, but still - its more of a chick flick than anything, and me telling people I love it - it can get kinda uncomfortable. :lol:

bassman
05-Jan-2010, 04:51 PM
It's probably similar to the reaction I get when I say I like 10 Things I Hate About You or Say Anything...:shifty:

Or Titanic for that matter. Ya know...since most guys think they're too macho to enjoy a well crafted film. :p

darth los
05-Jan-2010, 05:28 PM
Dirty Dancing. There's really no reason for a man to be watching it unless he's trying to score.

Or, for the female he's trying to score with to see it on his dvd rack and think he's in touch with his sensitive side. :D

Either way... GoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaLLLLLLLL !!! :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2010, 05:54 PM
It's probably similar to the reaction I get when I say I like 10 Things I Hate About You or Say Anything...:shifty:

Or Titanic for that matter. Ya know...since most guys think they're too macho to enjoy a well crafted film. :p

I wasn't 'there' when 10 Things came out, but saw most of it/all of it (can't remember which) a number of years after the fact, and it's actually a decent flick - mainly because of Ledger, but still.

Say Anything is brilliant.

Titanic - I've actually got the 4-disc Deluxe DVD on my wish list, no joke. I've had a complex relationship with that movie ... the lead up is pretty dull, aside from the spectacle and look of it all, but when it all kicks off then it's a good movie and quite chilling too ... although it does make me feel uncomfortable to say that, because this disaster actually happened.

Anyway, I liked it when it came out all-said-and-done, then took a distinct disliking to it around my sixth form and university days (indeed I recall berating it in a typically snobbish first year film student kind of way in "Key Issues in Film Studies" class in the first couple of weeks), however since then I've seen clips of it again (mostly from the good part of the movie) and it gave me the shivers.

Plus I'd really like to see all the making of and behind the scenes type stuff and have a right of James Cameron geek-out.

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jan-2010, 06:51 PM
I think Snadler and Barrymore work well together in Romantic Comedies. I am a huge fan of The Wedding Singer, 50 First dates is ok, but I feel TWS is a much better film.

Sandler's worst flick definitely has to be Little Nicky tied with You DOn't Mess with the Zohan, i think I only laughed a few times over the course of 90 minutes, for both films, but then again... Sandler has been doing more gross out over the top comedy more and more when he is better at the more tamed down comedy.

I truly prefer films like:

Bullet Proof
The Wedding Singer
50 First Dates
Click
The Longest Yard

compared to his other works such as

Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore
Little Nicky
You DOn't Mess with the Zohan
etc

He is hit and miss with me... I think his only over the top flick I really loved was The Waterboy. I don't know why but even ten years later I can laugh my ass off every time I watch the movie.

darth los
05-Jan-2010, 06:53 PM
^^^

Funny people was a huge miss as well, imo.

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jan-2010, 07:01 PM
^^^

Funny people was a huge miss as well, imo.

I found nothing appealing about Funny People... it has been out on Blu and DVD for what a month now? and I still don't even care to watch it. Quite frankly it looks rather mediocre.

bassman
05-Jan-2010, 07:33 PM
Funny People is a great movie for Sandler. It's like Punch Drunk Love(which is awesome, btw) with some comedy thrown in.

I like that film alot. Seen it several times now and think it's quite moving.

MinionZombie
06-Jan-2010, 12:15 PM
Funny People is definitely Sandler doing something he doesn't often do, and that's good. I'm not much of a Sandler fan at all, and haven't seen many of his movies, and have found half the ones I have seen asinine, but he was rather good in Funny People.

Funny People is the least of Apatow's Writer/Director efforts, but despite it's overlong nature, and a third act which is completely uncontrolled, it's actually pretty decent.

I'll get my mits on the double disc DVD at some point soon methinks.

LouCipherr
06-Jan-2010, 01:08 PM
Whoa, Dj, one sec - about Happy Gilmore.....

While mostly a shit film, the simple fact that in that flick you can witness Bob Barker punch out Sandlers lights is worth the price of admission alone. I would hate to sit through the rest of it, but damn, that fight scene is awesome. :lol: