PDA

View Full Version : Uk DVD Cover

dark-el
13-Jan-2010, 02:06 AM
Please don't tell me this is the final cover of the dvd?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/slippery1986/12307158x.jpg

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/12307158/Survival-Of-The-Dead/Product.html#

Danny
13-Jan-2010, 02:26 AM
eh.:|

thxleo
13-Jan-2010, 02:39 AM
I completely agree. I always figured that "artwork" was just some something quickly thrown together after principal photography ended and was not something that would actually be used. It's awful and that tagline is like a joke. Absolutely terrible cover. I hope to god that is not the same poster art they use here in the U.S.

Fecunditatis
13-Jan-2010, 09:28 AM
Besides that, I think it shows a spoiler in its foreground (I haven't seen the film, so I don't know how important is the fate of this particular character).

MinionZombie
13-Jan-2010, 10:29 AM
Besides that, I think it shows a spoiler in its foreground (I haven't seen the film, so I don't know how important is the fate of this particular character).
I was gonna say. Spoiler alert on that cover ... but never mind, the preview footage already spoils it ... in fact, the trailer spoiled it too. :rolleyes:

The cover is alright, nothing spectacular by any means. A bit better than the Diary cover (the one on the normal DVD, however the limited edition cover was rather cool, which I have) ... does seem a bit tossed together though, not very inspired.

AcesandEights
13-Jan-2010, 02:27 PM
Absolutely terrible cover.

Pretty generic, eh? It certainly doesn't make the film stand out from other zombie titles or give a sense of the character of the film. Of course, I've only seen the trailer, so what do I know about the character of the film, but it just looks...blah, to me.

I hope to god that is not the same poster art they use here in the U.S.

Same here :|

MagicMoonMonkey
13-Jan-2010, 08:38 PM
Please don't tell me this is the final cover of the dvd?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/slippery1986/12307158x.jpg

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/12307158/Survival-Of-The-Dead/Product.html#

HMV has a cover for the Blu-Ray version on their site.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=301291

I have a wee feeling these are just random punt-outs to fill the pre-order artwork blanks.

I shall retire to the background and await this movie.

PS: dark-el, did you think that scene, and zombie in particular, you use in your avatar from RotLD3 was as awesome sauce as I did? I still believe that one scene from the RotLD3 was one of the best scenes in any zombie movie. The movie as a whole was pish though.

krakenslayer
13-Jan-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a wee feeling these are just random punt-outs to fill the pre-order artwork blanks.

Hey, long time no see! :D

MagicMoonMonkey
13-Jan-2010, 08:49 PM
Hey, long time no see! :D

How goes it, my young friend?
Been busy, but do pop on to see what you and the other regulars have to say.
You looking forward to SotD? I can't gauge by your posts :lol:I am looking forward to it because this is going to sound weird, but I loathed Diary at first, and now I love it, and I reckon the same thing will happen with this. It is a Romero movie after all.

krakenslayer
13-Jan-2010, 08:54 PM
I think it will be fun. Diary has grown on me a little too. Started out I really liked it, then it sort of dropped into mediocre, coupla watches later it climbed back to "quite like it" again.

Survival looks like great fun from the trailers. I think you're gonna have to be in the right "zany" mindset though, for all the Bad Taste-style slapstick kills and gags, rather than going in expeting another Day. I think this cover makes it look more generic and serious than the reviews and the last trailer suggested.

capncnut
13-Jan-2010, 09:02 PM
PS: dark-el, did you think that scene, and zombie in particular, you use in your avatar from RotLD3 was as awesome sauce as I did? I still believe that one scene from the RotLD3 was one of the best scenes in any zombie movie.
I'll bite. :D

Love that scene. I thought it was gripping stuff back in the day.

MagicMoonMonkey
13-Jan-2010, 09:24 PM
I think it will be fun. Diary has grown on me a little too. Started out I really liked it, then it sort of dropped into mediocre, coupla watches later it climbed back to "quite like it" again.

Survival looks like great fun from the trailers. I think you're gonna have to be in the right "zany" mindset though, for all the Bad Taste-style slapstick kills and gags, rather than going in expeting another Day. I think this cover makes it look more generic and serious than the reviews and the last trailer suggested.

I reckon I will be pissed off at some of the gags and content (only saw one, with the top of the head falling in a cartoon manner). I am sure that I will ultimately enjoy it.
I can't help but feel robbed by Lotd though when I watch it as that movie was seriously missing the 'hohoho' factor in the death of Kauffman. His character demanded a Rhodes/Rickles/Torrez style prolonged death. I struggle to watch Lotd because of that. Oh and the fact almost every 'Good Guy' survived. Where's the 'Awww Man!' value in that?

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

I'll bite. :D

Love that scene. I thought it was gripping stuff back in the day.

Tis good stuff. You know, I had hoped that kind of scene would have been stolen for use in the DotD remake if they hadn't decided do go all PC and have the retards in society have a crack at script writing as part of an equal opportunity program within the movie industry. Zombies trussed up like that in some modern base/lab type thing with the same kind of stroy as the original and it would have been a winner.

dark-el
13-Jan-2010, 10:57 PM
HMV has a cover for the Blu-Ray version on their site.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=301291

PS: dark-el, did you think that scene, and zombie in particular, you use in your avatar from RotLD3 was as awesome sauce as I did? I still believe that one scene from the RotLD3 was one of the best scenes in any zombie movie. The movie as a whole was pish though.

I totally agree with you. That scene saves the entire movie

krakenslayer
15-Jan-2010, 02:02 PM
Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know of an online retailer that takes immediate payment for pre-orders? I don't want to faff around with "order now, pay on release" because I don't know what my finances are going to be like come the 15th of March, and I really want to order a copy now.

MinionZombie
15-Jan-2010, 04:47 PM
Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know of an online retailer that takes immediate payment for pre-orders? I don't want to faff around with "order now, pay on release" because I don't know what my finances are going to be like come the 15th of March, and I really want to order a copy now.
I don't think many do that to be honest.

Why don't you just put a tenner in an envelope and set it aside until release day then buy it in a shop?

bassman
15-Jan-2010, 04:58 PM
I've never quite understood the point of preordering if it's not something that's in danger of selling out. Why not just go to the store and pick it up on release?

MinionZombie
15-Jan-2010, 05:25 PM
I've never quite understood the point of preordering if it's not something that's in danger of selling out. Why not just go to the store and pick it up on release?
It's really more of an online thing. Sometimes they sell out after the first wave online, but mostly not. It's really just so you get it straight away, you pre-order and don't have to worry about it.

Sometimes if you pre-order and the stock comes in early, you'll get your order well in advance of release date. Like I had Land of the Dead about 2 weeks early, and recently I got District 9 a full week before release day.

krakenslayer
15-Jan-2010, 05:53 PM
Why don't you just put a tenner in an envelope and set it aside until release day then buy it in a shop?

God damn you, MinionZombie, and your common sense. :D

MinionZombie
16-Jan-2010, 10:59 AM
God damn you, MinionZombie, and your common sense. :D
*stands triumphant upon the altar of sensibleness* :cool::D

krakenslayer
23-Jan-2010, 11:42 AM
The next series will be a bit of an unknown quality - regeneration has taken place and David Tennant is now in charge of the Tardis. But if it continues the standard of this one, it will be worth watching.

FOUR-YEAR-OLD SPAMBOT FAIL! :lol:

MinionZombie
23-Jan-2010, 11:49 AM
FOUR-YEAR-OLD SPAMBOT FAIL! :lol:
Nailed. :elol:

Still haven't beaten Capn's best. Didn't he nail a spambot within 1 minute of them posting?

And on the topic of the DVD - anyone hear anything about special features?

Zombie Snack
23-Jan-2010, 08:11 PM
that cover looks cheap and cheesey.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jan-2010, 03:04 PM
What were you guys expecting?

Seriously the flick is direct to video, and believe me they don't put time and effort into the artwork for DTV flicks. Never have never will.

capncnut
24-Jan-2010, 11:21 PM
Still haven't beaten Capn's best. Didn't he nail a spambot within 1 minute of them posting?
Nup. I've nailed a bot while it was registering. :cool:

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2010, 10:07 AM
Crikey! :eek:

krakenslayer
26-Jan-2010, 09:13 PM

:eek: How did you know? Haha! :lol:

capncnut
26-Jan-2010, 09:17 PM
Well, I saw a user registering, I immediately ran it's name through the directory, came up as a positive match for a bot, looked at who's online, it was still registering, BOOM! :D

MinionZombie
13-Feb-2010, 12:07 PM
I see the R2 DVD is now being flogged for £8 brand new pre-ordered ... noiiice.

Still no word on the DVD content specifically mind you, not specs or anything, they're certainly taking their sweet-ass time.

UPDATE:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/72201/optimum-dvdbd-in-febmarch.html

15th March 2010

Survival of the Dead - The latest entry in Romero’s Dead series follows rogue soldier Sarge (Alan Van Sprang) as he leads a band of military dropouts to seek refuge from the endless chaos of the zombie uprising on remote Plum Island. There are no extras.

Bugger. :(

However, as someone on DVDTimes said:

Michael Fleisher from redshirt pictures confirmed he was starting editing the Survival of The Dead extras soon. Seeing that the US release (first on VOD then Theatrical) isn't due until May it doesn't look like the extras will be prepared until after then. Should of guessed when Plays initial listing for the blu ray was cheaper than the dvd (£10.99 BD to £14.99 DVD).

Optimum have obviously decided not to wait for the extras to be finished as they are releasing the film to cash in on the DVD/BD release of Zombieland -both DVD's were listed at roughly the same time and moved around the release schedules, one stalking the other, until surprise surprise ending up on the same date after the Zombieland official announcement.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 2-discer/special edition comes along on R1 at some point.

capncnut
13-Feb-2010, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if a 2-discer/special edition comes along on R1 at some point.
I might hold out for it, as it happens. Let's face it, the UK release will be under a fiver after a few months.

MinionZombie
13-Feb-2010, 06:18 PM
I might hold out for it, as it happens. Let's face it, the UK release will be under a fiver after a few months.
Indeed, I'm tempted to do so, but on the other hand I've been waiting butt-fucking months to see this movie, so I just wanna get it watched, you know?

At eight quid I can let it slide in time, but if it was coming out here at fifteen quid, then I'd hold out.

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2010, 12:33 PM
The DVD gets a 3/5 in Total Film this month. Essentially they say it's gory fun that nu-zed lovers will be boggled by, but old school zombie lovers will dig. They also note how it doesn't have to rely on fast editing and such, and praise the visual style.

Sod all extras on the DVD or BR, mind.

Still, if it had gone to cinemas I would have gone, which would have been at least £5.80, or possibly £6.80, so having to double-dip when a proper DVD is released won't be so bad, especially as it's a mere £7.99 ... besides, it's GAR, and I wanna support the dude.

bushcraft
15-Feb-2010, 06:59 PM
No extras:(

Legion2213
17-Feb-2010, 04:58 PM
Zavvi.com seem to be posting a different cover than the original...

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/survival-of-the-dead/10071644.html?name=image-zoom&image=0

krakenslayer
17-Feb-2010, 05:21 PM
Zavvi.com seem to be posting a different cover than the original...

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/survival-of-the-dead/10071644.html?name=image-zoom&image=0

FUCK! I used to work for them, I didn't know ZAVVI still existed!! Bloody-ell!!

Cool cover though! :thumbsup:

http://thehut.pantherssl.com/productimg/0/600/600/44/10071644-1266337457-110000.jpg

MinionZombie
17-Feb-2010, 07:41 PM
Cool cover, seems kinda like the artwork style that keeps getting pimped out on Arrow DVD releases (e.g. new Dawn and Day BRs, or Silent Night Deadly Night and Street Trash DVDs) - speaking of which, it's really nice to see painters and artists getting work commissioned for movies again, even if it's not for posters but for disc cover art.

Danny
17-Feb-2010, 07:43 PM
much better.

MinionZombie
17-Feb-2010, 07:46 PM
Still got a spoiler on the cover, I mean wtf...

krakenslayer
17-Feb-2010, 07:53 PM
Still got a spoiler on the cover, I mean wtf...

It's not really a spoiler though, is it? Because I thought she becomes a zombie very early on, but is revealed to have a twin sister halfway through the film.

AcesandEights
17-Feb-2010, 07:54 PM
Why does 'Nicotine' have an airhorn? Ah, summoning the undead hordes to deal with those pesky islanders! :D

Danny
17-Feb-2010, 07:59 PM
Why does 'Nicotine' have an airhorn? Ah, summoning the undead hordes to deal with those pesky islanders! :D

better than chris redriod's machotgun :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/Resident_Evil_1_cover_art.jpg

krakenslayer
17-Feb-2010, 08:00 PM

:lol: I think it's a flaregun.

MinionZombie
18-Feb-2010, 06:37 PM
Cool, just realised that the new artwork is for the DVD as well as the Blu-Ray. :)

Much better. That cut'n'paste photoshop bullshit they were pimping before was wank, this painted piece is far better. :cool:

And yeah, is that a flare gun? Kinda odd isn't it...