PDA

View Full Version : "Avatar" depression?

thxleo
13-Jan-2010, 01:59 PM
This is one of the most absurd articles I've ever read. I wish these people would off themselves that way we have fewer morons roaming the planet.
I didn't have suicidal thoughts, but I did feel sick to my stomach knowing that I actually paid to watch this piece of crap, over hyped, politically correct joke of a movie.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

mista_mo
13-Jan-2010, 02:07 PM
This movie has caused many people to question their beliefs in...well them being human. There is a live journal group for people that believe that they are' reincarnated na'vi'. I'll see if I can find the link, and I am being 100% serious.

Tricky
13-Jan-2010, 02:11 PM
Your kidding me? Jesus H Christ! Personally I really enjoyed the film, but I didnt leave the cinema feeling all depressed or whatever these fruit loops are saying, thats just crazy talk!

bassman
13-Jan-2010, 02:14 PM
I think it's a fine film, but it's just that....a film. Some people have issues.:stunned:

AcesandEights
13-Jan-2010, 02:19 PM
I rather liked avatar. Quite a bit, actually. It was visually stunning and, I thought, innovative in it's presentation. It was fairly speculative and offered some great moral truths, which, though simple, are timeless and the sort of thing that children should definitely encounter.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good sci fi. Soft sci fi, but better than a lot of the crap that has been passed off as such over the years.

Skippy911sc
13-Jan-2010, 02:50 PM
I have been boycotting all of Cameron's films. I think they are all hype and very little substance. I will wait for video to see this just as I did with Titanic... Plus it look like a three hour trip with Jar Jar Binks.

bassman
13-Jan-2010, 02:53 PM
I have been boycotting all of Cameron's films. I think they are all hype and very little substance.

http://www.thehollywoodprojects.com/uploaded_images/Get-Out-761712.png

"GET. OUT."

EvilNed
13-Jan-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh man. Oh god. These people, who get such a boner for this film that they get a) Depressed because it isn't real or b) think that they are reincarnated Na'Vi are just retarded.

What does Pandora have that we don't have? Except for thos floating cliffs, and dragons? I'm pretty glad that we don't have dragons soaring our skies, by the way. But the Earth features many beautiful locales, and if those fat Avatar forum nerds would get out of their parents basement and go to fucking SIBERIA they COULD live like the Na'Vi, the idiots. There's nobody in Siberia. Na'Vi til' you drop. Then come crawling back once you realize that you cannot live without technology and civilization, as you're apparently using the internet to spread the word of your depression.

Here's the Live Journal site for idiots that mo mentioned:

http://community.livejournal.com/tothehometree/

darth los
13-Jan-2010, 02:57 PM
I can totally relate to being digusted with the human race but are these people serious?

Perhaps offing themselves is not such a bad idea. It would eliminate their genes from the pool.

:cool:

mista_mo
13-Jan-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks Ned, I got distracted by food and kitties.

That place is classic though
"Here is a beautiful little poem from our wonderful lumeui. It is a lovely piece of work.

oeri sanhėti tse'a
sė oel oeru perawm -
oeyä lamivu peu

Here is the English translation, though this language is slightly inferior and the depths of emotion contained within are better expressed in my native tongue.

I look at the stars
and I'm asking myself
which is mine?
"

What the fuck man.

AcesandEights
13-Jan-2010, 03:03 PM
Here's the Live Journal site for idiots that mo mentioned:

http://community.livejournal.com/tothehometree/

I disbelieve!

*Rolls some dice*

Did I make my saving throw? Is it all an illusion!?

Man, I'm a bit of a fantasist, but goddam...that can't be real!

Mike70
13-Jan-2010, 03:09 PM
This is one of the most absurd articles I've ever read. I wish these people would off themselves that way we have fewer morons roaming the planet.
I didn't have suicidal thoughts, but I did feel sick to my stomach knowing that I actually paid to watch this piece of crap, over hyped, politically correct joke of a movie.

hear, hear. i've been to the movies twice lately and one of them was to waste my time on this piece of ripped off garbage.

the only thing i thought about after watching that was, "damn, poul anderson must be rolling in his fucking grave."

avatar is not "original" in any sense whatsoever. read "call me joe" by anderson and you will see that the entire plot and tone of avatar is a straight fucking hack job of that brilliant story.

i totally agree, lee. anyone with suicidal thoughts from watching this movie, please do us all a favor and act on them. the pussification of the west will be a little lessened.

EvilNed
13-Jan-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm very tempted to post there as a "former Klingon" and my most vivid memories would be of how I destroyed Pandora to the ground and raped their damn dragons in the face.

bassman
13-Jan-2010, 03:12 PM
I've actually just ordered tickets to visit Pandora for a second time tonight.:D

AcesandEights
13-Jan-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm very tempted to post there as a "former Klingon" and my most vivid memories would be of how I destroyed Pandora to the ground and raped their damn dragons in the face.

Though I'm largely against defining my happiness by other people's misery, that sounds like it'd be a damned fun read!

mista_mo
13-Jan-2010, 03:13 PM
sorry Ned, The Imperium already beat you to it, and cleansed Pandora in the holy light of the Emperor.

Skippy911sc
13-Jan-2010, 07:21 PM
http://www.thehollywoodprojects.com/uploaded_images/Get-Out-761712.png

"GET. OUT."

What I should have said is since Titanic. Anyone that requires a movie to have replica plates so the movie feels more real is totally nuts. Did you happen to read about the sex scene (that was cut) in Avatard? Can you imagine the actors in their Lycra suits pretending to screw so that Cameron can digitally convert them into the Naboo or niavi or...whatever? I am surprised Cameron didn't require the entire world be recreated so that it added more realism.

bassman
13-Jan-2010, 07:23 PM
What I should have said is since Titanic. Anyone that requires a movie to have replica plates so the movie feels more real is totally nuts. Did you happen to read about the sex scene (that was cut) in Avatard? Can you imagine the actors in their Lycra suits pretending to screw so that Cameron can digitally convert them into the Naboo or niavi or...whatever? I am surprised Cameron didn't require the entire world be recreated so that it added more realism.

You do realize that Avatar is his only feature film since Titanic? So that's two? Out of the 10 or so films he's made? Not a bad record, imo.

And yeah I saw the sex scene from the scipt. Obviously it was cut because he knew it wouldn't work. I wouldn't mind seeing it really. Might make a good deleted scene on the dvd.

Mike70
13-Jan-2010, 07:53 PM
*Rolls some dice*

Did I make my saving throw? Is it all an illusion!?

saving throw fail. you rolled a 17 against a DC 21. 'tis not an illusion.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

well my evil friend, it seems that folks who point out the inanity of this get banned.

Well, I think that you're a bunch of bullshit, tireanavi. Sorry for the honesty. But it's true.

You sound like you're wanting to start a group of followers and it's completely ridiculous. You consider yourself to be "the first Na'vi-kin" which is false. I think that you fell in love with the Avatar characters (much like I did) and decided that real or false that's what you wanted to charaterize yourself as being. Which unforunately can't be correct. Now, I understand that I'm most likely offending you and telling that you're beliefs are false, but they purely are. To believe otherwise is immature and childish.

It's ok if you watched Avatar and thought "Wow, I feel the same way the Na'vi do about the way they live and such". It's ok to want to be like them or even wish you were one, but that's not enough to actually say "I am a Na'vi kin in a human body" because you're going to lead many naive young people into something foolish and fabricated.

i really love the creator of this ridiculousness' answer:

I do not believe that it is completely ridiculous. It is not anymore ridiculous than therianthropy and otherkin. I do indeed consider myself to be the first Na'kin - can you tell me otherwise? Can you point me in the direction of the actual first one? Is it you? I think you just want to usurp me and steal my thunder. That is how it seems to me.

You are characterizing yourself as I am. I do not think that anyone who joins this community will be naive and foolish, because as a race Na'vi are wise and cunning.

It is true that James Cameron only recently wrote the story and that everyone just now heard about it. Do you think that dragons and elves are valid other-types? In five hundred years, when the origins of Na'vi are lost in the mists of time, would you think then that they are a valid 'kin type, also? Who are you to say what is valid and what is not? Can you tell me when you draw the line - how "recent" does something have to be? You must have a Word document filled with dates and periods detailing how old something must be to be valid.

someone has gone completely loco for choco puffs.

on another sad ass fucking note: apparently these folks are calling their realization that they are na'vi "The Awakening." ok. that's when mike slowly backed out the door.

we put up with a lot of bullshit out of people over their "beliefs" and i completely refuse to either take this crap seriously or to respect it because some unbalanced interwebz users have delusions that he/she is a na'vi.

darth los
13-Jan-2010, 08:01 PM
on another sad ass fucking note: apparently these folks are calling their realization that they are na'vi "The Awakening." ok. that's when mike slowly backed out the door.

So i guess they can count you out of the black sneaker affair as they wait for the UFO?

Mike70
13-Jan-2010, 08:10 PM
So i guess they can count you out of the black sneaker affair as they wait for the UFO?

:lol:
i will not be sharing any kool-aid with these folks, esp. if there is a comet in the sky.

now there is a suicide cult mashup for you.

AcesandEights
13-Jan-2010, 08:13 PM
No way, this person is a genius. It's got to be some sort of social savant putting people on.

I hope :|

Mike70
13-Jan-2010, 08:15 PM
No way, this person is a genius. It's got to be some sort of social savant putting people on.

I hope :|

what was your fortitude save bonus again?:D

darth los
13-Jan-2010, 08:16 PM
:lol:
i will not be sharing any kool-aid with these folks, esp. if there is a comet in the sky.

now there is a suicide cult mashup for you.

Boy, is it ever. lol

They must be stopped before they become too powerful. Perhaps it's time to send in that tank with the flames shooting out the front ! :lol:

AcesandEights
13-Jan-2010, 08:21 PM

Pretty high, man. You know I stack up Con. on all my PCs :)

Where's SRP? I'm chomping at the bit to hear what he has to say about all this.

Mike70
13-Jan-2010, 08:36 PM
sorry Ned, The Imperium already beat you to it, and cleansed Pandora in the holy light of the Emperor.

i hate to tell you both but the dominion, gamma quadrant bandwidth sucking pigs that they are, unleashed the jem'hadar on them already. then the breen came in and cleaned up the rest of the mess.

krakenslayer
13-Jan-2010, 08:37 PM
And yeah I saw the sex scene from the scipt. Obviously it was cut because he knew it wouldn't work. I wouldn't mind seeing it really. Might make a good deleted scene on the dvd.

Then he realised man had already shagged (evil) Na'avi in Evil Aliens.

(I'd post the clip but I doubt it'd be allowed, what with blue alien boobies flying around and Scary Movie style ejaculation...) :lol:

clanglee
13-Jan-2010, 09:59 PM
saving throw fail. you rolled a 17 against a DC 21. 'tis not an illusioni.

Oy!!!! What is all this post 2nd edition gobledigook?!?!? The shame man. . . .the shame

:D:p .

Danny
13-Jan-2010, 10:26 PM
there just furrys. space furrys. the emperor will no doubt have them purged.

EvilNed
13-Jan-2010, 11:27 PM
i hate to tell you both but the dominion, gamma quadrant bandwidth sucking pigs that they are, unleashed the jem'hadar on them already. then the breen came in and cleaned up the rest of the mess.

You know, Mike, sometimes I think we were meant for each other...

JDFP
14-Jan-2010, 02:01 AM

Screw the Dominion, the great Romulan Empire would take them all out. You don't mess with the Tal Shi'ar. They've had spies there amongst the Na'vi for years. The Empire will rise again!

In all seriousness, these people are mentally ill. Maybe they can join hands with other Titanic victims re-incarnated and go off to Jim Jones summer camp together. Now that could be an entertaining documentary.

j.p.

Mike70
14-Jan-2010, 04:18 AM
You know, Mike, sometimes I think we were meant for each other...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

well ned, i'm flattered but i'm still saving myself for khardis:D

i think this sums it up best as far as this thread goes:

http://www.avclub.com/assets/images/articles/article/22774/anarchy_jpg_300x1000_q85.jpg

mista_mo
14-Jan-2010, 10:09 AM

The Dominion? Tiny ships and inferior Technology compared to the Mighty Imperium of Man. His mighty warships shall rain blessed fire upon the foul xeno, his glorious armies shall crush them under boot, tread and massed las fire. The Angels of Death shall descend upon them like comets, purging the foul blueskins with their righteous fury. Their homes will be demolished, their population eradicated, and their "hometrees" shall be burnt to ash in the Emperors glorious name. The world will be stripped bare, its once lush forests shall be eradicated, and the space they once covered shall be converted into a glorious chapel that will shine the holy light of the Emperor bright unto this world.

there just furrys. space furrys. the emperor will no doubt have them purged.

For the Emperor!

This thread is now about how your favourite sci-fi universes, and the major powers within them would react to the discovery of the na'vi and Pandora.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jan-2010, 10:25 AM
This doesn't surprise me in the least. Of course when you have a movie like Avatrash that generates a lot of press the nutcass will come out in full force to steal some of the limelight in order to promote their beliefs that they themselves think they are Avatards.

wayzim
16-Jan-2010, 01:13 AM
Boy, is it ever. lol

They must be stopped before they become too powerful. Perhaps it's time to send in that tank with the flames shooting out the front ! :lol:

Yay, like any sane person would take some Sci Fi tripe and turn it into a religion and .... wait a tick.

Wayne Z
"Come on Tom. This is Nichole, You're not fooling anyone. Come out of the closet. "