PDA

View Full Version : Zombies Lead to Floating Cities

SRP76
13-Jan-2010, 08:12 PM
Yup, it's true. Something I've thought about for awhile.

In keeping with the "lock yourself in the attic" tradition, I predict the rise of an elevated world when the dead start walking.

Since the zombies can't climb, wouldn't it make sense to conclude that the living folk would then start moving upward? They'd build first elevated homes (like the ones you see in flood areas - "on stilts"), then need to connect them. This leads to walkways high in the air, above the zombie hordes. Once that's done, they'd take it further, with stronger reinforcement: elevated roads. Then huge "plates" atop gigantic pillars, which support large buildings.

At the end, the result would be all the same items that are found in the real world today, just all constructed on huge steel-and-concrete plates, built high up in the air. Never again will we see the ground.

Zombies would rule below, but they can't get to the living. Hatches are built. Instead of burials, the dead in the new society would simply be dumped down one of the hatches, to flop amongst the zombies.

What do you think about that?

...actually, I think I just solved the mystery of The Jetsons. So that's why they never showed the ground! It was post-zombie outbreak.:D

krakenslayer
13-Jan-2010, 08:19 PM
Fucking genius, man.

This could be the ending to your skyscraper zombie movie. At the end, after the survivors have grabbed supplies and secured the top floors of the skyscraper, they rest and wonder where they go from here.

Cut to ten years later - the few surviving characters have apparently reunited to talk about old times, they are looking well and happy, drinking coffee and chatting. The camera slowly zooms back and down... first revealing that they are STILL in the same building... then revealing a network of busy walkways and roads between the skyscrapers... then further back and down into the streets below and a sea of grasping, outstretched arms... :cool:

Debbieangel
13-Jan-2010, 08:29 PM

In keeping with the "lock yourself in the attic" tradition, I predict the rise of an elevated world when the dead start walking.

Since the zombies can't climb, wouldn't it make sense to conclude that the living folk would then start moving upward? They'd build first elevated homes (like the ones you see in flood areas - "on stilts"), then need to connect them. This leads to walkways high in the air, above the zombie hordes. Once that's done, they'd take it further, with stronger reinforcement: elevated roads. Then huge "plates" atop gigantic pillars, which support large buildings.

At the end, the result would be all the same items that are found in the real world today, just all constructed on huge steel-and-concrete plates, built high up in the air. Never again will we see the ground.

Zombies would rule below, but they can't get to the living. Hatches are built. Instead of burials, the dead in the new society would simply be dumped down one of the hatches, to flop amongst the zombies.

...actually, I think I just solved the mystery of The Jetsons. So that's why they never showed the ground! It was post-zombie outbreak.:D

The only flaws I see in your logic is the people to build these towns or cities, and the safety on the ground to build upwards! It's a good idea tho!
It kindof reminds me of that movie I saw previews of but never watched.."Waterworld" they lived above the water and used boats to get around.
Hey, that gives me an idea! A way to get around in your town/cities....helicopters!

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

I love that concept for the ending of a zomb movie kraken!

Mike70
13-Jan-2010, 08:29 PM
Cut to ten years later - the few surviving characters have apparently reunited to talk about old times, they are looking well and happy, drinking coffee and chatting.

...beneath a statue of metellus robinson, aka clint eastwood, the founder of the new city.

the plaque on the statue would simply read: don't be a pussy.

see SRP's skyscraper thread for the reference.

darth los
13-Jan-2010, 08:35 PM
the plaque on the statue would simply read: don't be a pussy.

Yeah, aren't clint eastwood and Bill Cosby's quotes the best? They seem to offend people but the bitter, hard/straight truth often does that.

I'm sure you can relate. :p

:cool:

Wyldwraith
13-Jan-2010, 11:14 PM
Yea,
Building the supports for those huge plates at ground level would require almost as large a conventional military presence to keep the area secure long enough to finish work as it would take to clear a geographic region of the undead. After all, if you can hold the hordes on all sides at bay for the weeks/months required to build each support, and you can clear the area you want to build on of zombies in the first place (THEN secure it/keep it secured), you have access by default to a force which:

a) Consistently clears several hundred yards of work space, and another 200-300 square yards for fortifications/perimeter, and does this without engendering large #'s of casualties.

b) Kills zombies so fast that it becomes possible to establish a perimeter in the first place, *in an environment where these soldiers/worker security forces are the LAST FRESH MEAT within reach.

c) Has figured out how to avoid the aforementioned prohibitive # of casualties in a combat zone where attack comes from all sides, by an enemy not subject to fatigue or low morale. That never, EVER stops!

d) Has figured out how to venture into the abandoned old cities now swarming with zombies ala Day or Land to acquire the supplies needed to build these elevated cities to begin with.

No matter how you slice it, if you can control five thousand square feet wherever and whenever you need to, and do so without depleting your available pool of combatants, then you've already figured out a way to eliminate/defend against zombies so effective that elevated cities would be unnecessary.

Now, what I *could* buy into would be people who've taken refuge in high rises working with people in other high rises to build Sky Bridges like that hotel in Dubai. They'd be crude, because the people would be cannibalizing the buildings they're in or those surrounding them for the materials to construct them, but if you had some competent architects or maybe some vets from the Army Corps of Engineers I don't see why the survivors of the zombie epidemic couldn't become Free Runners. (Which is basically what you're describing. The act of moving from building to building without ever touching the ground, ie: Free Running)

Wouldn't require massive resources, or any of those combat necessities I listed above, because the builders would be out of reach the entire time. Over time the quality/scope of such bridges would undoubtedly increase if they proved to be a sizable boon to surviving in a world where humanity has lost the entire surface of their homeworld to the undead.

From there these old skyscrapers could (longshot here) CONCEIVABLY themselves BECOME the pillars for your new elevated city to rest upon. Don't know where the raw materials would come from, but if you could lick that problem and you stuck with as many lightweight building materials as possible, it could be doable.

I never underestimate the inventiveness of people staring Grim Death in the face.

Philly_SWAT
13-Jan-2010, 11:26 PM
No matter how you slice it, if you can control five thousand square feet wherever and whenever you need to, and do so without depleting your available pool of combatants, then you've already figured out a way to eliminate/defend against zombies so effective that elevated cities would be unnecessary.

Funny, I was thinking along the same lines when I read your post SRP.

The only flaws I see in your logic is the people to build these towns or cities, and the safety on the ground to build upwards! It's a good idea tho!
It kindof reminds me of that movie I saw previews of but never watched.."Waterworld" they lived above the water and used boats to get around.

Doubly funny, I also thought of Waterworld...and that a movie based on the above ground city premise would have about the same success that Waterworld did!

strayrider
14-Jan-2010, 06:08 AM
Might work in the short term, but we wouldn't need to build an entire city on stilts. Why waste the time? The dead will expire in a decade or so (according to Logan), then it would be safe to return to the surface.

Maybe just build a few "temporary" elevated forts out in farm country where the zom population is low. Farm by day, retreat up into the fort at night.

:D

-stray-

bassman
14-Jan-2010, 12:31 PM
When the dead walk, senores....I'm moving in with the Ewoks.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/david.p.z.888/star_wars/pics/ewoks_village.jpg

Billythezombie
14-Jan-2010, 01:09 PM
I strongly agree with strayrider...the dead will bound to decay after a period of time, either lengthy or quite a short period. To build these cities on stilts would take quite awhile...and it wouldnt be nice having zombie eyes on you constantly..would be quite annoying, even from up above! Imagine the groans and whimpers of the hungry undead. Could any of you's get to sleep with that!! lol.

Trin
14-Jan-2010, 03:17 PM
Why use stilts? Build the city on hydraulic risers. Then when the city is complete and all the zombies are down below it you can simply lower the whole city and squish all the zombies. And then you have a nice replacement city on the squished rubble of the old one. Done. And if a new outbreak occurs, just raise the city back up again.

Wyldwraith makes a good point though. If you could control the area to build the raised city you'd essentially control the undead population. Since we know this is unrealistic a better solution is to start building all new city construction on the hydraulic risers now. That way when the outbreak comes you can simply lift the city up right away.

krakenslayer
14-Jan-2010, 03:26 PM
I see something along similar lines to SRP's idea, but less grand:

If zombies are around, going up is a good idea. Zeds can't climb, it gives you a good vantage point, you can communicate with other survivors, and when it's quiet you can scramble back down to grab supplies then return to the safety of your lofty abode. I'm talking about the upper floors of homes, high-rises, and so forth with their normal steps, stairwells, elevators, etc. made unusable and replaced with retractable ladders, ropes, or whatever.

Over a long period of time, a few months say, it's not absurd to imagine survivors building rudimentary bridges between hideouts or scavengable buildings. Perhaps initially nothing more than a beam of wood suspended between a window of one home to a window of the next. I would imagine this practice would become fairly widespread, especially in areas with large numbers of besieged survivors, and would take on increasingly sophisticated forms.

Billythezombie
14-Jan-2010, 03:48 PM
I like how you's are thinking, very clever, and i guess if you's can be so clever just pondering on the thought, imagine what survivors could accomplish in a critical life or death situation :)

deadpunk
15-Jan-2010, 03:12 AM

I could see this type of New Society evolving rather quickly into a literal social ladder. The closer you live to the ground, the less important you must be. With society's ultimate outcasts being forced to the ground.

Not the most plausible survival scenario I've heard, but certainly one of the more imaginative and entertaining. :)

rongravy
15-Jan-2010, 04:28 AM
Maybe just build a few "temporary" elevated forts out in farm country where the zom population is low. Farm by day, retreat up into the fort at night.

Ha, and get around by barnswinging!!!

I think it'd be better to just figure out a way to get cables to and from each building and just ride those back and forth with the little hand pulley things.
I'd like to see Tarzan style swings, though...

clanglee
15-Jan-2010, 05:56 AM
What about solid buildings with no doors or windows on the ground level. Retractable staircases or ladders to give entrance on the second or 3rd floors. And maybe retractable walkways between each house.

But as mentioned before, if you have the time and safety to build all that, you probably wouldn't need them.

Besides, it's all moot anyway. We can all just move in here. It's prefurbished!! :D

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/redneck-mansion.jpg

Zombie Snack
15-Jan-2010, 12:14 PM
after all the nuclear power plants melt down and all the nuclear fallout contaminates the planet...why bother with building any new city's..everyone will die anyways....unless you suspend reality and expect the power to stay on forever and all the nuclear power plants to operate and run thereselves.

krakenslayer
15-Jan-2010, 12:35 PM
after all the nuclear power plants melt down and all the nuclear fallout contaminates the planet...why bother with building any new city's..everyone will die anyways....unless you suspend reality and expect the power to stay on forever and all the nuclear power plants to operate and run thereselves.

That's an interesting point, and I don't think it's ever been discussed much.

However, I doubt in reality that would happen. Nuclear power plants have safety controls, etc. that cause them to shut down in the absence of operators. What's more, modern nuclear reactors are - unlike Chernobyl-type reactors - encased in about 3-meter-thick steel-reinforced concrete shells. So even if there was a core damage incident, its far less likely that any radioactive or toxic materials would be able to escape into the surrounding environment.

It's also a common misconception that a nuclear meltdown results in a nuclear explosion. I'm not saying you believe that, but many people do. An atomic blast resulting from a nuclear meltdown is virtually impossible. The Chernobyl event, for example, was nothing more than a sudden steam explosion that blew the core open to the sky, releasing radioactive material. However, government workers, squatters, and some local residents who refused to leave, all live within the peripheral "zone of alienation" and are not all dead or six-armed mutants. :)

Philly_SWAT
15-Jan-2010, 12:45 PM
I had always wondered about the nuclear plant angle. Do you, or anyone else, know exactly what would/should happen to a plant if all the operators were dead/abandoned their posts? In other words, the steps of the safety shutdown?

krakenslayer
15-Jan-2010, 12:58 PM
I don't know the ins-and-outs of it, to be honest, but it's like a modern kettle, I suppose - it doesn't just keep boiling away if no one is there to take it off the burner. The result of a nuclear power plant being abandoned would almost certainly not be a meltdown, but rather a power outage. I know this because I did a project on nuclear power back when I was in primary (grade) school :p

However, according to Wikipedia, when a reactor is shut down, it continues to accumulate heat for a while because of the radioactive decay within the isotopes. This means if it's shut down too late for the core to start to cool before reaching critical, it can still go into meltdown. But the core would have to be overheating to begin with, before the operators left. Even if this happened, there's still a better than evens chance the concrete shell will contain the fallout.

I don't doubt that this might possibly happen at one or two of the world's hundreds of nuclear power plants, but it's really the least of people's worries. :)

Neil
15-Jan-2010, 01:04 PM

Ummm... And food? Difficult to grow stuff up in the air...

Trin
15-Jan-2010, 02:29 PM
@clanglee - That picture is hysterical. And fire escapes already serve as retractable ladders. They'd surely become the primary entrance/exit to a building once the ground floor entrances were bricked off.

In the inner city this kind of thing makes perfect sense. Build a bridge between buildings and effectively double your living space.

Add to the idea trucks that had doors welded shut and the only access was through hatches in the roof. You park underneath your second story ladder and get in/out through the roof of the truck. You could drive from building to building easily where the span was too large for bridges.

@deadpunk - The idea of your height above ground becoming a status thing is already in place. As evidenced by the penthouse being the highest floor of any building. As the Jeffersons would say, "Moving on up to a deluxe apartment in the sky."

Regarding nuclear shutdown. I've tried to research this a half dozen times. History channels "Life Without People" did a short bit on power plant shutdown procedures in the absence of people. They said the power plants would continue to operate for quite a while without people before automatic shutdowns would occur. They were ambiguous about things after that.

I read one interesting study that contended that the real problem would be that the power plants are not equipped to handle a massive drop in the demand for electricity. The plant itself might shut down okay given inattention. But the thing might explode due to the sheer buildup of electricity in the system as systems shut off around the cities and no one cranks back the power output accordingly.

I'd LOVE a definitive answer to this. Because the nuclear meltdown topic affects way more than just a zombie situation. Mass disease. Climatic events. Lots of stuff might wipe out an area's people leaving a power plant operational.

Eyebiter
15-Jan-2010, 03:30 PM
Since the zombies can't climb, wouldn't it make sense to conclude that the living folk would then start moving upward? Zombies can't climb? Since when? What about the roof sequence at the end of Dawn of the Dead 1978? The undead were able to climb from the mall to the helicopter pad on the roof.

krakenslayer
15-Jan-2010, 03:40 PM
Zombies can't climb? Since when? What about the roof sequence at the end of Dawn of the Dead 1978? The undead were able to climb from the mall to the helicopter pad on the roof.

They can walk up steps (or stepladders) but I doubt they could climb a vertical ladder or a rope. Make it a retractable ladder if you're worried about one of them getting lucky on the climb

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Is that Megaton? :D

clanglee
15-Jan-2010, 07:44 PM
They can walk up steps (or stepladders) but I doubt they could climb a vertical ladder or a rope. Make it a retractable ladder if you're worried about one of them getting lucky on the climb

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Is that Megaton? :D

It looks like Megaton doesn't it? :lol::lol::lol:

Rancid Carcass
15-Jan-2010, 08:44 PM

Hanging baskets?

On the nuclear issue. I think that there would be a point during the crisis when the government would realize that we are losing it and order the nuclear plants to be shutdown before it’s too late to do so. Actually just thinking about it, there would probably be a period where key pieces of civilian infrastructure, like road and rail networks, would be systematically shutdown in the hope of preserving something from which civilization might rebuild from. Perhaps coal fired power stations would be left running to give people power for as long as possible until the grid goes down.

Zombie Snack
16-Jan-2010, 02:23 AM
It could happen that with out any operators that over time, something would happen, the water levels in the cooling systems could diminish, leading to a complete failure, I have seen a few programs that have discussed an apocolyptic situation/worse case scenerio and the effects on the nuclear power infastructure. Some say the reactors would shut down and the fallout would be minimal but in other scenerios the heating up would start almost immediately, it was chernoybl many times over, Most do not paint a pretty picture. I'm afraid Nuclear fallout would get us all. The water that cools is circulated water and if no one is running the water department the water stops circulating and heats up.

rongravy
16-Jan-2010, 04:29 AM
They can walk up steps (or stepladders) but I doubt they could climb a vertical ladder or a rope.

Wasn't the ladder a vertical one in Dawn at the end?
I don't think they could climb it either. They could grasp rungs with their filthy mitts but couldn't coordinate the feet to go along with it. Maybe on a few rungs... but one rung would get him and he'd have to start over.
Imagine the ones underneath him, like a domino effect.

I like barricading yourself off in a building, as long as you have a way out or a catwalk to another building handy that you can drop to stop too many pursuers.
Also, it'd be nice to have one strong door at ground level to sneak out and dent a few rotting brainpans in with a nice nailspiked bat.

When no one's looking of course...

krakenslayer
16-Jan-2010, 10:52 AM
It could happen that with out any operators that over time, something would happen, the water levels in the cooling systems could diminish, leading to a complete failure, I have seen a few programs that have discussed an apocolyptic situation/worse case scenerio and the effects on the nuclear power infastructure. Some say the reactors would shut down and the fallout would be minimal but in other scenerios the heating up would start almost immediately, it was chernoybl many times over, Most do not paint a pretty picture. I'm afraid Nuclear fallout would get us all. The water that cools is circulated water and if no one is running the water department the water stops circulating and heats up.

Even if this is true, there are still hundreds of people who refused to be evacuated living within the 30 km alienation zone and have been since the incident. It wouldn't be the end.

Wyldwraith
16-Jan-2010, 01:09 PM
Umm,
If you look at the publicly available resources of post-9/11 security policies, you'll see that comprehensive and difficult-to-subvert automatic shutdowns of nuclear facilities has become a major priority for D.H.S.

As for the notion of the cores overheating because there's no circulating water: A quick primer in the nature of nuclear power plant operation reveals that if you're not concerned about getting the plant back up and running in a relatively brief period of time there are multiple safeguards in place to prevent exactly the scenario you describe. In fact, many of the refitted power plants have means of burying the core completely under tons of quick-setting inert materials.

I mean, a core buried under fifty tons of concrete that creates a 10-feet-deep plug on all sides is no danger to anyone.

Of much greater concern are the rapidly-spreading fires that will be caused by the violently shorting out substations during a hard shutdown. Or even before that, like a previous poster mentioned, about the system not being designed to handle its electrical output not being used.

Short of an earthquake or some even more extreme catastrophe like a meteor striking a power plant or subterranean eruption beneath the foundation, I simply don't believe a Chernobyle-style nuclear catastrophe could happen at an America power plant simply due to neglect. Now, if some lunatics decided to take advantage of there not being any meaningful security due to the zombie epidemic, and had the know-how to perpetrate some nuclear terrorism, THAT would be feasible.

Maybe some sort of humanity-hating apocalyptic cult trying to ensure the extinction of mankind..who knows?

Trin
16-Jan-2010, 11:05 PM
Life Without People speculated that the real environmental disasters would come from clouds of toxic crapola being belched into the sky when all the chemicals that require coolant to stay contained lose their cool. The resulting explosions, fires, and chemicals spread around take a huge toll. Every city has these storage facilities.

deadpunk
20-Jan-2010, 04:29 AM

Green houses. And probably teams of men that could search for viable supplies at ground level. We could give them a fancy motor home and call it... oh, wait... that's been done to death :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
20-Jan-2010, 10:14 AM
Solar power cures the electricity problem. If you can get the panels, which are available on any building or home using them currently, you would just have to go on suicide missions to obtain them.

Oh and, Zombies did climb a vertical ladder in DAWN.

Philly_SWAT
23-Jan-2010, 09:37 PM
What about solid buildings with no doors or windows on the ground level. Retractable staircases or ladders to give entrance on the second or 3rd floors. And maybe retractable walkways between each house.

But as mentioned before, if you have the time and safety to build all that, you probably wouldn't need them.

Besides, it's all moot anyway. We can all just move in here. It's prefurbished!! :D

This is an interesting picture. I just read about it on hoax-slayer.com. I never saw the hoax, but it is a cool pic nonetheless. I wonder what the play was about?