PDA

View Full Version : Division 9 - canceled zombie game

CoinReturn
14-Jan-2010, 05:23 PM
By the looks of things they didn't get past the alpha stage as far as development, so it looks pretty rough around the edges. Still though, it's like Left 4 Dead with Romero zombies and a B-movie feel, I'd try it out:

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/division-9-canceled-zombie/337888?playlist=featured

darth los
14-Jan-2010, 07:26 PM
That's awesome ! Hell yeah, I'd play it. And that was a preliminary version of it. It's just too bad it never got finished.

What pisses me off is that the games fans want to get made never do. All we seem to get is crap crammed down our throats.

:cool:

Tricky
15-Jan-2010, 08:27 AM
Remember that Romero zombie game that got cancelled a few years back? "City of the dead" I think it was called, that looked like it was going to be top as well! :( although the Left 4 dead games look very similar to how that one did, so I wonder if some of the Romero game team were hired by valve...

LouCipherr
15-Jan-2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I remember "City of the Dead" - looked like a promising game. A shame it never made it to market.

I wonder what happens to the games that never make it out to the public... You think someone, somewhere is playing the beta version of City of the Dead in their basement? :D

darth los
15-Jan-2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I remember "City of the Dead" - looked like a promising game. A shame it never made it to market.

There's a treasure trove of GAr projects and scripts that never made it to fruition. What could have been, huh? :(

BillyRay
15-Jan-2010, 03:06 PM
Wait...are you saying they maed a game w1th zomb1es inn1t?

mista_mo
15-Jan-2010, 03:08 PM
Jesus christ, why is the movement speed so slow? Looks like unlimited ammo as well, and 5 zombies on screen at once, wow. Even for a work in progress it looks bland. That being said, i would love to play this, provided they tweak it a bit.

and the vA, OH GOD.

Craig
15-Jan-2010, 03:26 PM
They used the game SWAT 4 as a basis it seems, the entire underground carpark all the way up to the roof with the helicopter is almost directly from one of the SWAT 4 missions, plus a lot of the graphics/interface are barely or not at all changed from SWAT also. That implies to me they were very early on in development, who knows what they might've been able to do with this, shame really.

M6JeLL5VMzE

Danny
15-Jan-2010, 03:29 PM
seems suspiciously like left 4 dead to em, the sound grenades that attract zombies, the team based gameplay. seems like a fan mod for it. i woudlnt be surprised if irrational saw left 4 deads early stuff , knew itd take off and whent to beat em at the game.

but then no one can beat valve at the fps game.

-and yeah i remember city fo the dead "burnout like fps where you try to shoot through lines of zombies to explode gas tanks to rack up combo points." not for me.

CooperWasRight
15-Jan-2010, 05:27 PM
seems suspiciously like left 4 dead to em, the sound grenades that attract zombies, the team based gameplay. seems like a fan mod for it. i woudlnt be surprised if irrational saw left 4 deads early stuff , knew itd take off and whent to beat em at the game.

but then no one can beat valve at the fps game.

-and yeah i remember city fo the dead "burnout like fps where you try to shoot through lines of zombies to explode gas tanks to rack up combo points." not for me.

This game predates l4d by some time.... There is not exactly a book house boy club were everyone who works in the gaming industry meet up and share secret projects they are working on so they can rip each other off.

Danny
15-Jan-2010, 08:54 PM
This game predates l4d by some time.... There is not exactly a book house boy club were everyone who works in the gaming industry meet up and share secret projects they are working on so they can rip each other off.

you'd be surprised. nothing springs to immediate memory but theres plenty of times when one guy from such and such company lets slip a few thigns to another and a few months later we get something eeirily similar.
i still think thats party why the 90's had crap films in twos;, deep impact, armageddon, dantes peak, volcano, antz, a bugs life ect.

-actually i got one. a few years back a trailer came out for rainy woods. the trailer was basically twin peaks in videogame form. unsurprisingly lynch sent them a polite "cease and- motherfucker" and they dissappeared. then they reappered with a trailer very similar to alan wake. turns out they'd been working on a game like alan wake for years since they saw the first footage behind closed doors of wake and the project was shifted to replace the twin peak rip off.

it aint a boys club, but that dont mean ideas do not get stolen, even before the public hears about them.

Tricky
16-Jan-2010, 11:08 AM

Are you sure thats the same game? seemed more like L4D to me, but without the runners & obviously by now outdated graphics..

qTjU7BzwNek

MinionZombie
16-Jan-2010, 11:17 AM
Aye, VERY early development as it's taken directly from SWAT 4 (which was a super awesome game btw). Being so early in development, that's rough as fuck, but it could have been something cool.

Shame.

I want a PROPER shambler zombie game - like Fallout 3 minus the nuclear future, plus hoardes of shambler zombies.

CooperWasRight
16-Jan-2010, 12:30 PM
you'd be surprised. nothing springs to immediate memory but theres plenty of times when one guy from such and such company lets slip a few thigns to another and a few months later we get something eeirily similar.
i still think thats party why the 90's had crap films in twos;, deep impact, armageddon, dantes peak, volcano, antz, a bugs life ect.

-actually i got one. a few years back a trailer came out for rainy woods. the trailer was basically twin peaks in videogame form. unsurprisingly lynch sent them a polite "cease and- motherfucker" and they dissappeared. then they reappered with a trailer very similar to alan wake. turns out they'd been working on a game like alan wake for years since they saw the first footage behind closed doors of wake and the project was shifted to replace the twin peak rip off.

it aint a boys club, but that dont mean ideas do not get stolen, even before the public hears about them.

Ah I didn't know it was lynch I thought it was representation on behalf of Frost... But either way no. Aside from the details of who issued the cease and desist is your chronologically inaccurate. Alan Wake is being developed by Finnish company Remedy whom is notorious for being secretive... Rainy Woods (Now known as Deadly Premonition).... Was announced years after Alan Wake had been in development and Premiered not on but two trailers. The initial trailer for Rainy woods and the newest trailers are pretty close to one another...Many of the character models have been changed... The Twin peaks/Mulholland Drive "inspiration" is not as blatant. Most whom were not familiar with Lynch's instantly drew parallels to Alan Wake even off the first Rainy Woods trailer. It would take a leap in faith to say the least to say Remedy shared ANYTHING with Access games(Rainy Woods devs) And again Alan Wake announced in 2005 Rainy Woods 2007...

Mr.G
17-Jan-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd still like a F:13 or Halloween movie where you play as Michael or Jason...that would be sweet!

capncnut
17-Jan-2010, 04:47 PM
They certainly nailed the atmosphere. Voice acting was dog shit but they could've fixed it. I'd love to see this game finished, I for one would definitely have bought it.

As for City of the Dead, wasn't it eventually made into LOTD: RTFG? The zombies are almost identical.

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2010, 06:42 PM
They certainly nailed the atmosphere. Voice acting was dog shit but they could've fixed it. I'd love to see this game finished, I for one would definitely have bought it.

As for City of the Dead, wasn't it eventually made into LOTD: RTFG? The zombies are almost identical.
Nah, RTFG was originally a game called "Day of the Zombie" (if memory serves), a whole other thing, and Universal thought "hey, here's an idea..." and so it became RTFG.

darth los
17-Jan-2010, 08:42 PM
I'd still like a F:13 or Halloween movie where you play as Michael or Jason...that would be sweet!

The developers are probably scared of the rating they would get, which if they were true to the source material would be atleast an M.

That would hurt their bottom line. And that is unacceptable.

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2010, 09:26 PM
The developers are probably scared of the rating they would get, which if they were true to the source material would be atleast an M.

That would hurt their bottom line. And that is unacceptable.

Shame really ... it'd be kinda cool.

They could base it upon a stealth game engine ... ... actually, I'd quite like to play such a game. More of a Halloween/Friday 13th vibe than, you know, a too-real, Jeffrey Dahmer type vibe ... that'd be too far.

krakenslayer
17-Jan-2010, 09:41 PM
I always thought it would be cool to make a Terminator game that emulated the first movie in a full open-world GTA4-style Los Angeles. Build it as a first/third person stealth-strategy game where you play as either Kyle Reese or the Terminator trying to save or kill Sarah Connor.

Put most of the development into the AI and have it so that the CPU-controlled Kyle, Sarah and and/or the Terminator's movements and decisions will be different each time, and that tactical decisions will chance depending on the player's actions. Sometimes the Terminator won't make a full-on assault on the police station if the police are alerted to his identity sooner, sometimes Reese and Sarah won't use the Tiki Motel but hide out in the city, etc. etc. You have to use detective work (calling phone numbers, staking out hunches, etc.) to find your foe among the millions in the city.

That would be my dream game, up there with a true-to-the-movie Dawn of the Dead title.

MinionZombie
18-Jan-2010, 09:51 AM
I always thought it would be cool to make a Terminator game that emulated the first movie in a full open-world GTA4-style Los Angeles. Build it as a first/third person stealth-strategy game where you play as either Kyle Reese or the Terminator trying to save or kill Sarah Connor.

Put most of the development into the AI and have it so that the CPU-controlled Kyle, Sarah and and/or the Terminator's movements and decisions will be different each time, and that tactical decisions will chance depending on the player's actions. Sometimes the Terminator won't make a full-on assault on the police station if the police are alerted to his identity sooner, sometimes Reese and Sarah won't use the Tiki Motel but hide out in the city, etc. etc. You have to use detective work (calling phone numbers, staking out hunches, etc.) to find your foe among the millions in the city.

That would be my dream game, up there with a true-to-the-movie Dawn of the Dead title.
That sounds like it'd be an awesome game!

CooperWasRight
18-Jan-2010, 11:38 PM
Nah, RTFG was originally a game called "Day of the Zombie" (if memory serves), a whole other thing, and Universal thought "hey, here's an idea..." and so it became RTFG.

Different game made by Groove that came out in 2008...Sort of... Same engine, Same weapons, Same zombies different story and some different levels...It's floating around out there.

darth los
18-Jan-2010, 11:46 PM

The M rating that would follow is a formidle obstacle. Manhunt was something like that and we saw what happened there.

:cool::cool:

Mr.G
19-Jan-2010, 02:02 AM
The M rating that would follow is a formidle obstacle. Manhunt was something like that and we saw what happened there.

:cool::cool:

Maybe they could make the blood pink or green (like Star Trek 6) in order to get a less harsh rating? ;)

darth los
19-Jan-2010, 01:39 PM
Maybe they could make the blood pink or green (like Star Trek 6) in order to get a less harsh rating? ;)

Imo, if your going to do something, do it right. I remember when they tried something similar to that with mortal combat back in the day to much ridicule. Does it make it any less violent because of the color of the blood?

"Cool, I lopped this infected guy's head off, but the blood is blue so these disturbing images are neutralized." :lol: