PDA

View Full Version : U.S. release date

thxleo
14-Jan-2010, 07:51 PM
I spoke today with a representative from Magnolia Pictures and was told that Survival of the Dead will be on VOD starting April 30 and will be released theatrically on May 28. So we in the U.S. can finally get a look at the film!

clanglee
14-Jan-2010, 08:16 PM
Video on Demand? Is that what VOD means? That is odd. But thanks for the info Leo

capncnut
14-Jan-2010, 08:30 PM
Good news! :thumbsup:

bassman
14-Jan-2010, 08:39 PM
On demand BEFORE it's in theaters? That's odd....

Looks like I'll be getting a copy of the R2 release first and then later buying the R1 DVD. Which is going to be near the end of the year at this rate, i'm guessing.

I wish they would just drop the theatrical release and go straight to DVD like the R2...

thxleo
14-Jan-2010, 08:48 PM
Video on Demand? Is that what VOD means? That is odd. But thanks for the info Leo

Yeah, I thought that was strange also when World's Greatest Dad and Wonderful World played on Verizon FIOS, before going out theatrically. Both of those titles are Magnolia releases as well.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

I wish they would just drop the theatrical release and go straight to DVD like the R2...

That's what Romero wants as well. He's talked about going direct to video since the mid 80's. In the "Future Directions" chapter of The Zombies that ate Pittsburgh he talked about wanting to distribute his projects directly on video cassette.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jan-2010, 09:44 PM
Anyway to make a buck.

I will just get the R2 disc coming out and then pick up the R1 Blu-Ray. Survival doesn't interest me enough to blow $11.50 to go see it.

CooperWasRight
15-Jan-2010, 05:06 PM
Anyway to make a buck.

I will just get the R2 disc coming out and then pick up the R1 Blu-Ray. Survival doesn't interest me enough to blow $11.50 to go see it.

Yet you are willing to put out the cash for 2 iterations of home consumer release? That's strange...

darth los
15-Jan-2010, 05:40 PM
Anyway to make a buck.

Perhaps that's why it's gonna be on VOD first , in order to get word of mouth going so that people will pay that much to see it. It could of course have the opposite effect...

:cool:

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jan-2010, 10:39 PM
Yet you are willing to put out the cash for 2 iterations of home consumer release? That's strange...

And I will still spend less than $11.50

That's our ticket prices for a movie here in DC area, add Drink ($5.00) PopCorn ($5.00) and anything else, that's a $25.00 trip for one person at a min.

I bet I get both DVD and Blu-Ray for less than $11.50

Plus, i paid to see Land, and was let down... Diary I had to drive an hour from me to see it, and while I dug it, the print was fucked up a bit, so it is a safe bet the release will be limited and we will probably get a worn as hell print.

capncnut
15-Jan-2010, 10:42 PM
That's our ticket prices for a movie here in DC area, add Drink ($5.00) PopCorn ($5.00) and anything else, that's a $25.00 trip for one person at a min.
I like to watch a movie in the special area of the theatre so I can have a beer. That area is $30 admission alone. Let alone the $5 per beer, which you can safely times by ten. Pisstakes!

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jan-2010, 10:47 PM
We have DRAFTHOUSES, but the Beer can't be taken in the theater here in Mont County, in Alexandria you can take it in, but they may not get Survival anyway. So I don't worry

rongravy
16-Jan-2010, 04:53 AM
I like to watch a movie in the special area of the theatre so I can have a beer. That area is $30 admission alone. Let alone the $5 per beer, which you can safely times by ten. Pisstakes!

Wow, you can drink beer in theaters?!?!?
I remember sneaking in a liter of Southern Comfort 100 proof into Hellraiser 2 and mixing it in with their largest sized Coke. And not remembering anything after that, including the movie. I did the same thing practically at opening day of Phantom Menace but from the front row. And with vodka.
Imagine legally being able to do it...
Not good for me.

As far as this movie goes: even if I see/saw it online for free I'd still make the trek somewhere to see it onscreen. Or whatever VOD is.
So far, every Dead movie I've seen onscreen has been kickass. I don't mind adding my dollars to George's tally and it hasn't been a bad investment yet, in my opinion.
I would try to see it a few times pretty fast before it disappears. Diary was only here for a week, and it was full both times I saw it.
WTF?!?!?

CooperWasRight
16-Jan-2010, 12:35 PM
And I will still spend less than $11.50

I bet I get both DVD and Blu-Ray for less than $11.50

Plus, i paid to see Land, and was let down... Diary I had to drive an hour from me to see it, and while I dug it, the print was fucked up a bit, so it is a safe bet the release will be limited and we will probably get a worn as hell print.

Well unless you plan on stealing and burning the films your not getting the DVD let alone the Blu-Ray for 11.50. Your more likely to pay 15-20 for the DVD and 25-30 for the Blu-Ray.

bassman
16-Jan-2010, 03:17 PM
Well unless you plan on stealing and burning the films your not getting the DVD let alone the Blu-Ray for 11.50. Your more likely to pay 15-20 for the DVD and 25-30 for the Blu-Ray.

Not entirely true. It all depends on where you're shopping. If you're going to a retailer like Walmart, Best Buy, etc, then it's going to cost full price. But if you know how to look online you can find them much cheaper. In fact....lately it's been easier to find Blu Rays cheaper than regular dvds.

So Gary's logic is sound.

(holy shit I just became spock.:p)

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jan-2010, 06:22 AM

I only paid $9.00 for Diary when I bought it... Its called eBay :D and that was the week it released on Blu :D

Mike70
26-Jan-2010, 10:24 PM
haysus, i just realized that i was repeating what lee put up a week ago.

jded
04-Feb-2010, 02:38 AM
This is awesome news unless they decide on not showing it anywhere here where I'm at. Sometimes a flick will only show at our artsy movie house downtown. They did that with Precious, it only hit that one theatre.

That's how our artsy theatre named Flicks is. You can have a beer (tap, domestic, and import) , sandwiches, snacks, homemade desserts, dogs, basically the works. And what's decent is that it cost's no more to enjoy it. The tickets are usually about $8.

Wow, you can drink beer in theaters?!?!?
I remember sneaking in a liter of Southern Comfort 100 proof into Hellraiser 2 and mixing it in with their largest sized Coke. And not remembering anything after that, including the movie. I did the same thing practically at opening day of Phantom Menace but from the front row. And with vodka.
Imagine legally being able to do it...
Not good for me.

Yes bud. Beer!
I got the best of both worlds cuz we got another theatre here that we call the dollar plex. For $4 bucks you get the movie and a two item food ticket. They got the regular stuff and also carmel corn. Go on Tuesdays without the food and it's only a $1. If you don't mind seein a show that's 1-3 weeks old then it's groovy.