PDA

View Full Version : The Fortress of Solitude

bassman
21-Jan-2010, 01:43 PM
The fortress of solitude from Superman: The Movie is....real?!?

The cave is connected to the Naica Mine 300 metres (980 ft) deep in Chihuahua, Mexico. The main chamber contains giant selenite crystals, some of the largest natural crystals ever found.[1] The cave's largest crystal found to date is 11 m (36 ft) in length, 4 m (13 ft) in diameter and 55 tons in weight. The cave is about 27 m (89 ft) in length and 9 m (30 ft) in width. The cave is extremely hot with air temperatures reaching up to 44 °C (111 °F) with 90 to 100 percent humidity. The cave is relatively unexplored due to the extreme temperatures and high humidity.[2] Without proper protection people can only endure approximately ten minutes of exposure at a time.

HeiMfLmJtzk&hl=en_US&fs=1&

That's just amazing....

darth los
21-Jan-2010, 01:58 PM
It is amazing how with all humanities technical advances new things are being discovered on this planet.

Just when we think we have it all mapped out some new geological formation or species of animal pops up.

This kinda thing is fascinating. Good find Bassman. :thumbsup:

:cool:

Mike70
21-Jan-2010, 02:03 PM
The fortress of solitude from Superman: The Movie is....real?!?

HeiMfLmJtzk&hl=en_US&fs=1&

That's just amazing....

dude, i was just reading about this about half an hour ago. i even thought about making post. do i need to break out my tin foil hat?

that cave has to be one of the strangest places on earth. i think what is really cool about this story is that there might be more of these caves in that area.

i wonder if jor-el left a message?

bassman
21-Jan-2010, 02:09 PM
i wonder if jor-el left a message?

brX9HreBPaA&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Skippy911sc
21-Jan-2010, 03:31 PM
I watched a documentary on this last year... really cool program. The size and scope of the crystals is amazing!