PDA

View Full Version : ZOMBIELAND - Blu-Ray - Got Mine Today

DjfunkmasterG
22-Jan-2010, 11:26 PM
10 Days Early.... WOOT... Thanks Wally

Features:

Deleted Scenes
Commentary with Woody, Jesse, Director Ruben Fleischer, and writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick
In Search of Zombie Land" BTS Featurette
Zombieland is your Land - The Zombification of the USA
Visual FX progrsssion scenes
Theatrical Promo trailers
Blu Exclusive
Beyond the Grave Yard PiP BTS track.

5.1 DTS HD MA (English French)
Commentary 5.1 Dolby Digital
1080P Pictures

*watch the promos so far and the PQ is very tight, nice and balanced. However, the film and features were done on the Panasonic Genesis Camera system, so that is a plus to the detail and vibrancy of the picture.

Trailer Previews include: Boondock Saints II, Ghostbusters, MJ's This is It, and Night of the Creeps to name a few.

UPDATE: Visual FX BTS featurette is kind of short and shows the early stages of developing the opening scenes, Zombies falling from Blast-off, Rule #4 Seatbelt scene, and some other quick stuff. Lasts about 2 minutes.

DELETED SCENES: About 4-5 minutes worth that include some footage of Tallahassee and Columbus actually losing the Hummer to the girsl and them going back to pick them up. We also get a glimpse of what Tallahassee and Columbus did before Zombies took over.

Also is the mythology behind the zombies in which they say Zombies are not people coming back from the grave, or death but just a virus that takes over and turns you into an Automaton (which is an alternate definition)

Extra footage of the girls at the park, and being stuck on the Balst off Ride, in which it was green screened in, but the work never finished.

Extra scenes of Columbus after he dispatches 408 reflecting on killing someone who became a zombie.

UPDATE 2:

Ok, this disc is what I would consider reference grade PQ to show off your HD home theater. Crisp clear picture and sound, although some of the sound FX are a tad loud here and there I would give the audio mix a grade of probably 4.0-4.25 and the PQ to be somewhere between 4.5 - 5.0 (5.0 being the highest)

The special features are a nice find as they delve into the history of the project with the writers, producers and actors. Woody also gives his back story on how he got involved with the production as does the rest of the cast, and most of them had to be urged into reading the script by their agents, they originally passed it up.

We also learn the make-up team and director do not consider these living dead zombie as the director didn't want to tread on Romero's work. They are living people infected with Mad Cow Disease. :lol:

All in all whatever the price of the Blu-Ray is when you get it on February 2nd, it is worth the money.

Artwork Pictures: http://www.facebook.com/#/DjfunkmasterG?ref=profile

Jeffery
23-Jan-2010, 07:50 PM
Nice! I enjoyed this a lot in theaters. Looking forward to seeing it on DVD.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jan-2010, 03:02 PM
If you have a Blu-Ray player or a PS3 I highly suggest springin for the Blu-Ray. It is truly worth whatever they are asking for it.

Philly_SWAT
27-Jan-2010, 09:21 PM
If you have a Blu-Ray player or a PS3 I highly suggest springin for the Blu-Ray. It is truly worth whatever they are asking for it.

I am thinking of getting Blu-Ray player soon, so I think I will have to pick this up as one of my first discs.

bassman
03-Feb-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm not as enthused about this release. The features are those generic "This set is like family....so much fun" crap. I haven't had a chance to listen to the commentary yet, but the featurettes are pretty dull. The transfer is nice, though.

All in all it's a decent BR release, but I get the feeling that a better release is on it's way. Hopefully with a doc or featurettes that actually cover....ya know....making the movie?:rolleyes:

DubiousComforts
03-Feb-2010, 08:49 PM
http://www.monstermania.net/images/MMC14/Derek-Grafb.jpg

The clown is already appearing as a convention guest. Unbelievable.

bassman
03-Feb-2010, 08:50 PM
Seriously? He's in what....30-60 seconds of the film?:confused:

Listened to the commentary. Not bad, but nothing amazing. As a nerd I would just like to point out that the proton pack Haralson wears in the film IS NOT a screen used prop. It's funny that the director says that it is in the commentary. Just looking at it you can tell it's not...

DubiousComforts
03-Feb-2010, 08:55 PM
Seriously? He's in what....30-60 seconds of the film?:confused:
I suppose his extensive work as a stuntman simply pales in comparison to the more visual sound bite of appearing as the clown zombie in a farce.

Mr.G
04-Feb-2010, 01:49 AM
I picked up the regular DVD tonight. I haven't sprung for the BluRay yet...tempting but I haven't been convinced. Also got House of the Devil too! Horror movie marathon weekend coming up!

jded
04-Feb-2010, 02:13 AM
It's not often that I fork over the money for a new release right out of the gate. It must really make an impression on me and I rarely get jazzed over any such thing.
This to me is one of those few. You know... Sometimes you don't even think about it and you react. You've already weighed the purchase in a milisecond, or were preparing way before and nothing's going to keep you from owning it.

I don't have blueray, but so what. Screw those manufacturers, they knew way ahead of time that they'd spring it on us one day. I know damn well it was waiting in the wings.

bassman
04-Feb-2010, 02:17 AM
I don't have blueray, but so what. Screw those manufacturers, they knew way ahead of time that they'd spring it on us one day. I know damn well it was waiting in the wings.

In the early to mid nineties they knew Blu Ray was coming? Maybe....but I doubt it...

DjfunkmasterG
04-Feb-2010, 08:41 AM
I love the transfer for Zombieland, as I stated in my review of the Blu-Ray.

As far as Blu-ray being developed in the 90's... I don't think so. I think development started in 2003, but I remember early announcements of the format required a carrier system to hold the disc to prevent scratching before they developed the protective coating for blu-ray

darth los
04-Feb-2010, 08:47 PM
In the early to mid nineties they knew Blu Ray was coming? Maybe....but I doubt it...

If they did or didn't is moot. The point is that blu ray is an awesome high def format that just makes the movie come alive. The difference isn't as stark as the jump from vhs to dvd but believe you me there is one.

I'm sure people who were still hanging on to b&w t.v.'s when color came out insisting that there was basically no difference had that same mentality.

:cool:

bassman
04-Feb-2010, 09:37 PM
If they did or didn't is moot. The point is that blu ray is an awesome high def format that just makes the movie come alive.

Actually, I think Jded's point was that it's not worth the upgrade. I agree with you that BR is great, but just pointing out to him that it's silly to think they knew the format was coming back when DVDs were first hitting the shelves.

jded
05-Feb-2010, 04:38 AM
Yeah that's exactly what I meant. I don't feel that it's worth the upgrade. I am fine with my plain old DVD player. I don't see the need. I mean does anyone feel that this is the finale, the end of the road for the technology used to view your movie? Is Blu Ray the peak? Will you be tempted in five or ten years when a new improved platform arrives? I just feel that maybe they have it in mind and realize that certain folks have to have the new and improved gadget of the moment.

How much further will it go? Will we be viewing a movie one day where you won't be able to determine if you're inside the movie or outside and aware that you're in your seat watching it? My minds eye forecasting this future sees it a little like this. That would be trippy. Won't need acid and shrooms no more.

Danny
05-Feb-2010, 04:59 AM
Yeah that's exactly what I meant. I don't feel that it's worth the upgrade. I am fine with my plain old DVD player. I don't see the need. I mean does anyone feel that this is the finale, the end of the road for the technology used to view your movie? Is Blu Ray the peak? Will you be tempted in five or ten years when a new improved platform arrives? I just feel that maybe they have it in mind and realize that certain folks have to have the new and improved gadget of the moment.

How much further will it go? Will we be viewing a movie one day where you won't be able to determine if you're inside the movie or outside and aware that you're in your seat watching it? My minds eye forecasting this future sees it a little like this. That would be trippy. Won't need acid and shrooms no more.

theres no need for blu ray, its an extravagence really, you get a better viewing experience on the whole, but the dvd version is fine if its stilla good movie.
though i am totally sure blu-ray is the last analogue format, 5 years time we will download all our tv shows and movies.

rongravy
05-Feb-2010, 06:05 AM
I just got my dvd. Wish it had more on it, or was a little bloodier, but still good.

Dawg
07-Feb-2010, 11:25 AM
I got I believe it was a Toshiba Blu-Ray player from Best Buy and took it back because it didn't perform as well as I expected, and that was only its online abilities. It did Youtube and Netflix, but Youtube was limited and hard to manage and search. Netflix sucks because most of their streaming movies were crap b-movies like Far Cry or older than dirt releases. There were no real Warner Brother releases for streaming, not even the 1989 Batman movie!

I cancelled my free trial a week early and should never have joined after learning the first time that their service sucks when I signed up with them years ago and cancelled then when they started throttling mail dvds.

So after taking the Blu-Ray back, I picked up a PS3 instead and got all of that, such as Youtube, Netflix ready not that I would use it now, and the ability to play PS3 games for like $70 more dollars.

As for the Zombieland Blu-Ray? I wanted to get it, but the morons at Best Buy never know their @$$ from a hole in the ground. They advertised both the dvd and Blu-Ray as Best Buy exclusives with added bonus along with a general release.

They were out of the Blu-Ray version at both stores I went to, but the second store had the 2-disc dvd exclusive.

After researching, I found the $15 single disc dvd had all but two Blu-Ray exclusive special features which would have been $25 for the 2-disc regular Blu-Ray version. The 2-disc dvd exclusive had an additional two exclusive special features in which the Blu-Ray exclusive probably would have had as well, and this was $23.

I figured instead of worrying about 2 to 4 additional special features I would save some money and get the single dvd version for $15 instead.

I think it is only worth it if the dvd version was like Warner Brothers movies and had NO special features, basically forcing you to get the Blu-Ray version.

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

theres no need for blu ray, its an extravagence really, you get a better viewing experience on the whole, but the dvd version is fine if its stilla good movie.
though i am totally sure blu-ray is the last analogue format, 5 years time we will download all our tv shows and movies.

Personally I sure hope not! Yes it is awesome and convenient to be able to download stuff, but I feel I am some what of a collector and having a physical copy of the disc is much better than a bunch of 0s and 1s on a computer, not to mention artwork and the like.

Besides that, there are other formats in the works or completed and just waiting to be released, such as the HVD, the Holographic Versatile Disc which holds like 10tbs! (That is 10 TERABYTES!!!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc