PDA

View Full Version : losses to the music world...

Mike70
31-May-2006, 06:35 PM
i was watching one of those countdown shows on cable about the 20 greatest losses to the music world the other day and now i feel compelled to sound off a bit.

having scumbags like kurt cobain and bradley nowell in the top 5 is sickening. these folks were more or less trash who died because of their own stupidity. i don't much care for nirvana but i do like sublime's stuff quite a bit. that doesn't keep me from thinking that brad nowell was a complete loser and idiot to boot.

gee absent from said list are a couple of truely sad losses to the music world who died through no fault of their own- dimebag darrell and chuck schuldiner, both greivous losses.

i simply don't feel that people who either kill themselves or die through an act of stupidity (like sticking a needle in your arm when you have two babies depending on you) qualify as "losses".

bassman
31-May-2006, 06:52 PM
i was watching one of those countdown shows on cable about the 20 greatest losses to the music world the other day and now i feel compelled to sound off a bit.

having scumbags like kurt cobain and bradley nowell in the top 5 is sickening. these folks were more or less trash who died because of their own stupidity. i don't much care for nirvana but i do like sublime's stuff quite a bit. that doesn't keep me from thinking that brad nowell was a complete loser and idiot to boot.

gee absent from said list are a couple of truely sad losses to the music world who died through no fault of their own- dimebag darrell and chuck schuldiner, both greivous losses.

i simply don't feel that people who either kill themselves or die through an act of stupidity (like sticking a needle in your arm when you have two babies depending on you) qualify as "losses".

What place did Lennon get? He should be high on the list...

I can see what you're saying and I somewhat agree. Although they did take their own lives(Nowell really didn't take his life directly....but I know what you mean), they were still important and are still considered a "great loss" to most people.

Honestly, I don't give a damn about Cobain, but Nowell had problems that he accepted and admitted on several occasions that he knew it would eventually take his life. The problem is, he was a dumbass and thought there was no way to get off the sh*t.

Kinda like Chris Farley.....great comedian, shame he had to do what he did(especially being as big of a guy as he was).

I would probably say the biggest losses to the music world(to me) were Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, John Bonham, Jerry Garcia, Freddie Mercury, Berry Oakley. I may be forgetting some...but these just came to mind. I would definitely say that Lennon had the biggest impact. The world changed to alot of people on that day.(December 8, 1980 I believe it was...)

Mike70
31-May-2006, 06:58 PM

i believe that he was no. 1

bassman
31-May-2006, 07:09 PM
i believe that he was no. 1

Good....He needs to be.

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination."

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."
- John Lennon

Ahh, the music and magic that this man could still be making today if it weren't for that asshat with a gun:( ....

Oh yeah, I thought of two more: Roy Orbison and George Harrison.

mista_mo
31-May-2006, 08:59 PM
If the show was called listed, Cobain was number 1. It's ridiculius. I remember listening to nevermind by Nirvana, and after I listend to it, I took it outta my stereo and broke it in half. I've only ever done that too one other CD...an old Backstreet Boys CD that I had. That shows you just where Nirvana is on my list.

tju1973
31-May-2006, 09:10 PM

I agree...

The only thing Kurt Cobain did successfully was remove the top of his worthless head with a shotgun.

The problem is that he left us with Courtney Love Hole.

>8*(

:elol:

zombie04
31-May-2006, 09:15 PM
I would probably say the biggest losses to the music world(to me) were Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, John Bonham, Jerry Garcia, Freddie Mercury, Berry Oakley. I may be forgetting some...but these just came to mind. I would definitely say that Lennon had the biggest impact. The world changed to alot of people on that day.(December 8, 1980 I believe it was...)

I'd agree with Freddie Mercury, great singer and he is truly missed. I do think it is pathetic how people try to make Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., and Cobain to be the biggest losses to the music community. They weren't that great and in reality kind of brought it on themselves.

Another I'd add the list of true losses would be George Harrison. Sure he had some personal problems in the 70s and 80s and had a strange phase, but considering what he went through with cancer and what he did in his last few years really made up for it.

bassman
31-May-2006, 09:28 PM
Another I'd add the list of true losses would be George Harrison. Sure he had some personal problems in the 70s and 80s and had a strange phase, but considering what he went through with cancer and what he did in his last few years really made up for it.

Yeah, I had to add him on there, too.:D He seemed to be healthy in all of the interviews for the "Beatles Anthology" set. Alot of people try to say that he didn't contribute that much to the Beatles which, in a way, they're kind of right seeing as how Lennon and McCartney wrote most of their songs, but of the few songs Harrison wrote....they're simply beautiful.

Man, I would give anything to go back in time and see the Beatles live(well, AFTER the years of not being able to hear the band because of the screaming girls:rolleyes: ). Anyone got a Delorean for sale?:p ...

ipotts85
31-May-2006, 09:33 PM
you can't take away the fact that - despite his personal problems - he was still a loss to the music community. nevermind may have been a very commercial record, but that was their only really commercial record. take a listen to in utero or unplugged, and you can see what a gifted artist cobain was. very rarely are there singers that you know are pulling everything they have out of themselves, from their souls, and cobain was one of those musicians...yes, it is selfish to take one's life, especially when you have children, but his personal life aside, his musical achievements can't be diminished.

oh - what about johnny thunders, or johnny cash?
and dimebag should most definately be on that list!

bassman
31-May-2006, 09:39 PM
you can't take away the fact that - despite his personal problems - he was still a loss to the music community. nevermind may have been a very commercial record, but that was their only really commercial record. take a listen to in utero or unplugged, and you can see what a gifted artist cobain was. very rarely are there singers that you know are pulling everything they have out of themselves, from their souls, and cobain was one of those musicians...yes, it is selfish to take one's life, especially when you have children, but his personal life aside, his musical achievements can't be diminished.

I understand where you're coming from...but some people just feel like Nirvana was no big deal and nothing changed with Cobain's suicide. I mean, he could put emotion into his performances, but they really didn't "change music" as much as people try to say they did.

All the world lost with his death was a whinny, depressed, and DECENT lyricist. He was decent with lyrics, but as a songwriter, he was mediocre at best. He damn sure wasn't a great guitarist...

Not trying to start a war between you and I....It's just my opinion. Some others think the same but we're probably in the minority.

As I've said before, Dave Groll(sp?) created a much better band after Nirvana was over....

MinionZombie
31-May-2006, 09:45 PM
Wooo! Dave Grohl ... he does indeed rock copiously.

As for Cobain, he's a tragic figure, he had a rocky old childhood and didn't exactly have a privileged upbringing. He wasn't cut out for fame and fortune and clearly he had an addictive personality, a large part of which must surely have been connected directly to said inability to cope with the excesses and glamour of fame and fortune.

I think he was a key figure in music during the 1990s, you cannot deny, even if you're not a fan, that he was a key player. Grunge didn't start and stop with Nirvana, but they were undoubtedly one of the poster children of the movement and clearly they affected a large chunk of people, each to their own. Cobain poured his heart and soul into his music and as we can all see now it was all a rather tragic endeavour as he wasn't strong enough to deal with what came to him.

By no means am I condoning his drug use, but I can understand why he got stuck in that rut. That's my tuppence anyway...

ipotts85
31-May-2006, 09:49 PM
I understand where you're coming from...but some people just feel like Nirvana was no big deal and nothing changed with Cobain's suicide. I mean, he could put emotion into his performances, but they really didn't "change music" as much as people try to say they did.

All the world lost with his death was a whinny, depressed, and DECENT lyricist. He was decent with lyrics, but as a songwriter, he was mediocre at best. He damn sure wasn't a great guitarist...

Not trying to start a war between you and I....It's just my opinion. Some others think the same but we're probably in the minority.

As I've said before, Dave Groll(sp?) created a much better band after Nirvana was over....

of course you are entitled to your opininon, i always give you that much...

however, you are definately underplaying the impact nirvana had on popular music, as well as their contribution to rock n roll in general. no, kurt cobain was not a great guitarist by some standards, but as a player that came from mostly punk roots, that wouldn't be a necessary requirement, now would it? nirvana is targeted because of their commercial success, but many people overlook how great the band really was, especially cobain's songwriter. i mean, if a band can essentially define a generation, there must be something to it. all the evidence you need to justify cobain and nirvana is on in utero. musically, lyrically, this is a very complex, emotionally charged album - basically cobain at his best. nevermind was not a defining nirvana album. it was the most popular, but if the cobain haters haven't listened to in utero, i'd suggest giving it a spin - it would probably change your mind...

bassman
31-May-2006, 09:52 PM
I think he was a key figure in music during the 1990s, you cannot deny, even if you're not a fan, that he was a key player. Grunge didn't start and stop with Nirvana, but they were undoubtedly one of the poster children of the movement and clearly they affected a large chunk of people, each to their own.

See, people always make the "movement" argument, but that's all bullsh*t. There were plenty of rock bands that were a thousand times better and getting into a larger audience. Nirvana just made it more mainstream and MTV. All they did was make it appeal to a larger audience of depressed teenagers because that's all they were.

I was more into bands that actually had a range of emotion.

of course you are entitled to your opininon, i always give you that much...

however, you are definately underplaying the impact nirvana had on popular music, as well as their contribution to rock n roll in general. no, kurt cobain was not a great guitarist by some standards, but as a player that came from mostly punk roots, that wouldn't be a necessary requirement, now would it? nirvana is targeted because of their commercial success, but many people overlook how great the band really was, especially cobain's songwriter. i mean, if a band can essentially define a generation, there must be something to it. all the evidence you need to justify cobain and nirvana is on in utero. musically, lyrically, this is a very complex, emotionally charged album - basically cobain at his best. nevermind was not a defining nirvana album. it was the most popular, but if the cobain haters haven't listened to in utero, i'd suggest giving it a spin - it would probably change your mind...

Oh believe me, I've heard all of Nirvana's albums. I'm not just talking out of my a** about something I don't know, here. I liked them in the day when I was an angry teenager. Listening to them now, though....well, not so much.:barf:

I can understand that Cobain did have a slight degree of talent in his emotion compared to most bands on the air these days....but it was still a small amount. And I'm not saying they didn't have an impact on popular music....they definitely did. I just feel like they shouldn't have.

To me, the reason they achieved what they did was because they came along at the right time, and they had the "connection" appeal going for them. Teens could look at them and see a piece of themselves. I just feel that people believe they were "world changing" because that's what MTV told them to believe and that's what everyone else was into.

Don't get me wrong.....I would still choose Nirvana over 90% of the crap that's being played on "rock" radio stations these days.

Tri0xin
31-May-2006, 11:00 PM
If your life doesn't end in tragedy then you aren't much of a rocker. I like Brad Nowell, by the way. Sublime had some decent stuff. I don't care for that new Long Beach Allstars rubbish though.

I would say Buddy Holly, Elvis, John Lennon had the greatest impact on the rock world. You can't forget the fact that Hendrix, Janis & Morrison all died less than a year apart too. That was another big tragedy in the rock world.

I like Nirvana too. The first concert I ever went to was Nirvana. Take that back. Nirvana was my second. The first concert I went to was Rage Against the Machine and Cypress Hill and the Latin Alliance.

"Once you're gone, you can never come back. 'Cause you're out of the blue, and into the black."

Here's a little FYI for you guys. My dad is probably the biggest Beatles fan in the world. The first two songs he taught me were "You've got to hide your love away" and "Blackbird".

Back in the old days, they didn't tear the stub off your ticket. In my father's den, hangs a Beatles ticket from a 1965 show with the fab four's faces on it and a cartoon bubble saying "yeah yeah yeah." All my father's toys considered, that's probably his prize possession.

kortick
31-May-2006, 11:07 PM
yes the loss of Lennon was a huge one

a lot of younger people dont realise what
he meant

kurt cobain was also a great loss
i liked nirvana

and george harrison
was a true musician
he leaves a hole that cant be filled

so many greats are cut short
you never know who is gonna be next

Tri0xin
31-May-2006, 11:32 PM
yes the loss of Lennon was a huge one

a lot of younger people dont realise what
he meant

kurt cobain was also a great loss
i liked nirvana

and george harrison
was a true musician
he leaves a hole that cant be filled

so many greats are cut short
you never know who is gonna be next

You're right about Harrison. He was a little overshadowed by Lennon/McCartney, but listen to some of the songs he penned.

Here Comes the Sun, Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps... His songs were definitely equal to those penned by Lennon/McCartney.

All Things Must Pass is still my favorite of any solo-Beatle album. Yes, and that includes McCartney's Ram and Lennon's Imagine.

My favorite Beatle song is a little Harrison number called "Long, Long, Long." Good stuff. Haunting vocals.

kortick
01-Jun-2006, 12:04 AM
i truly appreciate all things must pass

it is such a powerful album

long long long is a great song

i bought the cd of harrison live in japan
and it is great to hear him play all his songs
with a great band behind him

he remianed true all the way to his death

a true loss in every sense of the word

ipotts85
01-Jun-2006, 12:41 AM
You're right about Harrison. He was a little overshadowed by Lennon/McCartney, but listen to some of the songs he penned.

Here Comes the Sun, Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps... His songs were definitely equal to those penned by Lennon/McCartney.

All Things Must Pass is still my favorite of any solo-Beatle album. Yes, and that includes McCartney's Ram and Lennon's Imagine.

My favorite Beatle song is a little Harrison number called "Long, Long, Long." Good stuff. Haunting vocals.

absolutely - in my opinion harrison was stronger musically than both lennon and mccartney. all things must pass is one of my favorite records...

See, people always make the "movement" argument, but that's all bullsh*t. There were plenty of rock bands that were a thousand times better and getting into a larger audience. Nirvana just made it more mainstream and MTV. All they did was make it appeal to a larger audience of depressed teenagers because that's all they were.

I was more into bands that actually had a range of emotion.

Oh believe me, I've heard all of Nirvana's albums. I'm not just talking out of my a** about something I don't know, here. I liked them in the day when I was an angry teenager. Listening to them now, though....well, not so much.:barf:

I can understand that Cobain did have a slight degree of talent in his emotion compared to most bands on the air these days....but it was still a small amount. And I'm not saying they didn't have an impact on popular music....they definitely did. I just feel like they shouldn't have.

To me, the reason they achieved what they did was because they came along at the right time, and they had the "connection" appeal going for them. Teens could look at them and see a piece of themselves. I just feel that people believe they were "world changing" because that's what MTV told them to believe and that's what everyone else was into.

Don't get me wrong.....I would still choose Nirvana over 90% of the crap that's being played on "rock" radio stations these days.

i'm sorry bro, but i have to completely disagree. i think your arguments here are ridiculous, and any rock critic worth their salt would agree...

Cobain did have a slight degree of talent in his emotion compared to most bands on the air these days....but it was still a small amount.
this is one of those most off base remarks i have ever heard about kurt cobain. i am not even going to question your credibility for judging rock bands by mentioning your affinity for dave matthews band. i mean, is this a serious statement?

Eyebiter
01-Jun-2006, 12:54 AM
Two names I'd add to the list would be Jimi Hendrix (guitar and vocals) and John Bonham (drums and percussion).

zombie04
01-Jun-2006, 01:56 AM
oh - what about johnny thunders, or johnny cash?

Johnny Cash's death was a huge hit in the industry, or it appeared that way to me since I'm such a big Cash fan, but his life didn't really end tragically. To me his music and life were really about failure and redemption and he took those paths many times. But in the end it seemed June Carter's death caused his own. Cash's death was in my opinion and different kind of tragic.

Danny
01-Jun-2006, 02:30 AM
If the show was called listed, Cobain was number 1. It's ridiculius. I remember listening to nevermind by Nirvana, and after I listend to it, I took it outta my stereo and broke it in half. I've only ever done that too one other CD...an old Backstreet Boys CD that I had. That shows you just where Nirvana is on my list.

i agree nirvana was horrible bakc in my earlier teens when i first started listening to music i ,like any 12 year old after 1999 preffered offspring to that despressing garbage.

in fact its been a good while since i heard conspiracy of one...* clicks on WMP11*

zombie04
01-Jun-2006, 02:33 AM
in fact its been a good while since i heard conspiracy of one...* clicks on WMP11*

Conspiracy of One? I was always an Ixnay on the Hombre person myself.

ipotts85
01-Jun-2006, 02:54 AM
Johnny Cash's death was a huge hit in the industry, or it appeared that way to me since I'm such a big Cash fan, but his life didn't really end tragically. To me his music and life were really about failure and redemption and he took those paths many times. But in the end it seemed June Carter's death caused his own. Cash's death was in my opinion and different kind of tragic.

true - but look at the work he produced at the end of his life. his american recordings are amazing...

i agree nirvana was horrible bakc in my earlier teens when i first started listening to music i ,like any 12 year old after 1999 preffered offspring to that despressing garbage.

you preferred offspring to nirvana? i'm shuddering.

zombie04
01-Jun-2006, 02:57 AM
true - but look at the work he produced at the end of his life. his american recordings are amazing...

Those are the CDs that got me hooked. I started with American IV and worked my way back. I really do prefer those cds to some of his older stuff, but there are a few exceptions.

ipotts85
01-Jun-2006, 03:07 AM
his older stuff is almost a different style - but i think the noticeable difference is due to the gap between his recording career. a majority of his stuff was produced in the 60's, skip ahead 30 years...

i was just listening to american 2 and 3...i like them even more because of the tom petty/heartbreakers backing...

Tied2thetracks
01-Jun-2006, 05:20 AM

I can see what you're saying and I somewhat agree. Although they did take their own lives(Nowell really didn't take his life directly....but I know what you mean), they were still important and are still considered a "great loss" to most people.

Honestly, I don't give a damn about Cobain, but Nowell had problems that he accepted and admitted on several occasions that he knew it would eventually take his life. The problem is, he was a dumbass and thought there was no way to get off the sh*t.

Kinda like Chris Farley.....great comedian, shame he had to do what he did(especially being as big of a guy as he was).

Garcia was natural causes and I don't think thats what the list was covering. Mercury died of AIDs, that is somewhat his fault. Unprotected sex, expecially with gay men at that time was russian roulette.

Where is Buddy Holly and Richie Valens, Ricky Nelson, Skynard, metalicas bass player and the Black Sabath boys?

DeadJonas190
01-Jun-2006, 06:16 AM
Where is Buddy Holly and Richie Valens, Ricky Nelson, Skynard, metalicas bass player and the Black Sabath boys?

In their graves rolling around for not being on the list.

general tbag
01-Jun-2006, 06:17 AM
buddy holly, freddie mercury, janis joplin , jimi hendrix, jim morrison , elvis.

nirvana was to the 90s , as michael jackson was the 80s, a mark on the era, and defining it.

bassman
01-Jun-2006, 12:31 PM
i'm sorry bro, but i have to completely disagree. i think your arguments here are ridiculous, and any rock critic worth their salt would agree...

this is one of those most off base remarks i have ever heard about kurt cobain. i am not even going to question your credibility for judging rock bands by mentioning your affinity for dave matthews band. i mean, is this a serious statement?

It's a serious statement. And just because I have a different opinion than you, that makes it ridiculous?:rolleyes:

What does Dave Matthews Band have to do with this? Oh yeah, that's right....nothing.

I just like a wide range of music. Sue me. I told you that I don't think Nirvana's music is terrible. I just think they were over rated....that's all.

But back on topic, I thought of another great one that passed away due to cancer: Michael Houser of Widespread Panic.

Mike70
01-Jun-2006, 01:15 PM
Garcia was natural causes and I don't think thats what the list was covering. Mercury died of AIDs, that is somewhat his fault. Unprotected sex, expecially with gay men at that time was russian roulette.

your comment about garcia is well taken. i don't think that people who died of natural causes were on the list - so no johnnny cash, jerry garcia or george harrison.

p2501
01-Jun-2006, 06:07 PM

as for the suicide bit, i fail to see itas direct stupidity. people with that level of depression aren't functioning on in any manner similar to you or i. in most cases they just tired of everything, so killing yourself becomes a very simple and in some cases the only from of any release.

it's not sensible in any measure, but then neither is depression.

as for the drug overdose thing i'm less sympathetic towards. i think most people tend to understand the basic equation of hard drugs + long term use = death.

Adrenochrome
01-Jun-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't miss Dimebag What's-his-name. I wouldn't call his death a "greivous loss" to the music world. To his family, yes; Music...No.
But, it is a loss to some.
I agree with most of you on the rest - although, I would have placed Harrison above Lennon.

p2501
01-Jun-2006, 06:44 PM
that footer is seriously bothering me.

Adrenochrome
01-Jun-2006, 06:45 PM
that footer is seriously bothering me.
LOL
I keep trying to imagine what it sounds like. :D

p2501
01-Jun-2006, 07:12 PM
like a retarded kid going "NAGNAGNAGNNAGAFANAFNAFNAGANAGNAGAGANG"

alternatively, it could sound alot like Kelly Clarkson.

Adrenochrome
01-Jun-2006, 07:14 PM
like a retarded kid going "NAGNAGNAGNNAGAFANAFNAFNAGANAGNAGAGANG"

alternatively, it could sound alot like Kelly Clarkson.
Believe it or not, it's a secret video made of Hawkboy(or whiner) complaining about me!!! LOL
It's saying, "I Hate Adrenochrome, so, I'm going to whine about everything he says!"
Just kidding, my Canuck friend!

ipotts85
01-Jun-2006, 07:45 PM

i think natural causes are just as tragic - either way, the music world has lost them...i don't think a sudden death is the only qualifier.

and, what black sabbath boys? everyone from black sabbath is still alive.

Adrenochrome
01-Jun-2006, 07:48 PM
i think natural causes are just as tragic - either way, the music world has lost them...i don't think a sudden death is the only qualifier.

and, what black sabbath boys? everyone from black sabbath is still alive.
Agreed. Death is death....

Tied2thetracks
02-Jun-2006, 05:34 AM
Somthing about a plane and a bus. I very well may be wrong, never followed their music.

ipotts85
02-Jun-2006, 08:49 AM
skynryd lost half of their members in a plane crash...is that what youwere thinking of?

Danny
02-Jun-2006, 09:44 AM
must have been, sabbath are like the pope ,there allways around.

brr... a world without ozzy, i had to shudder at the thought:D