PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden poll

capncnut
25-Jan-2010, 12:30 PM
Nipping one thread in the bud, I present this.

Paul DiAnno
t5jaRipA5_M

Bruce Dickinson
k813OyNY6E0

or (god forbid) Blaze Bayley
3QeKVKP2t6U

Using each singer's most well known songs, right who's the best!

krakenslayer
25-Jan-2010, 12:45 PM
Nipping one thread in the bud, I present this.

Using each singer's most well known songs, right who's the best!

Haha, don't worry, I wasn't going to turn the Prog thread into a Bruce vs. Paul war :D

I actually think all the singers were good in their different ways (although the particular vocal performance in that last clip by Blaze is shocking).

Paul had a kinda tough, punky, aggressive tone that was very badass. However, to be honest, he's not that unique. There are dozens of singer that sound like him. His voice has matured since leaving Maiden though, and on his later albums, he seems to have developed his singing style into something more recognisably his.

Bruce brought something stunning and new to Maiden and helped propel them to new heights. His greater vocal range and unique voice helped Maiden develop their songwriting style in ways they probably couldn't have done with DiAnno. I understand that not everyone particularly liked the new style, though.

Blaze was an attempt to do something different again, and it didn't altogether work. The X Factor was a great album, but it is a slow and deep one that takes time and patience to truly discover, its not at all immediately satisfying like most of their others to that date. Blaze's deeper, leather-lung voice worked very well on those songs, but his problem was live performance. He suffered extremely bad allergies that affected his vocals on the road, and even at his best he couldn't hit a lot of notes on Dickinson's old songs (which were about 80% of their back catalogue by this time) - they never even played Run to the Hill live while he was in the band, because he couldn't do it. If you listen to his solo stuff though, you see a different side of him; he truly is a talented metal songwriter/vocalist, but I think he was the wrong choice for Maiden at that time.

Oh and before anyone says Dickinson couldn't do "aggressive", listen to this:
TVWpN6hfBCY

:D

capncnut
25-Jan-2010, 12:51 PM
Haha, don't worry, I wasn't going to turn the Prog thread into a Bruce vs. Paul war :D
LOL, that wasn't for you, mate.

Actually, DiAnno was more punk than anything. Something Maiden tried to steer away from, if the biographies are anything to go by. Probably why I like the man so much.

Bruce is coolio, Powerslave is my second best Maiden album ever (the first album being my number one by miles), and I loved the Egyptian artwork by Del Riggs.

Blaze was just a pile of shit to me, tbh.

Edit: Yeah know that audition tape. Bruce is a wonderful singer, make no bones kneegrow. I saw Maiden recently when they played nothing but 80-89, and the set list was fucking incredible.

krakenslayer
25-Jan-2010, 01:08 PM
Edit: Yeah know that audition tape. Bruce is a wonderful singer, make no bones kneegrow. I saw Maiden recently when they played nothing but 80-89, and the set list was fucking incredible.

Yeah the Somewhere Back in Time tour. I fucking missed it, was furious.

Blaze was just a pile of shit to me, tbh.

Yeah, he wasn't great as Maiden's singer. But I must admit I really, really like his solo stuff:
eC18-m8f9WA

He rarely talks about this in interviews or anything (he's always very complimentary about his form Maiden bandmates), but apparently after getting fired from IM, he went into a deep depression, his solo albums were buried by his record company and his new bandmates all fell out with him and ditched the solo band. He then met a woman who helped him get back on his feet, then out of the blue she was tragically killed in a car crash. But he just keeps soldiering on in spite of it all, though, you gotta admire that.

capncnut
25-Jan-2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah the Somewhere Back in Time tour. I fucking missed it, was furious.
Just to rub one's nose in.

Churchill Intro
Aces High
Two Minutes To Midnight
Revelation
The Trooper
Wasted Years
The Number Of The Beast
Can I Play With Madness
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Powerslave
Heaven Can Wait
Run To The Hills
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden

Moonchild
The Clairvoyant
Hallowed Be Thy Name

krakenslayer
25-Jan-2010, 01:15 PM
Just to rub one's nose in.

Churchill Intro
Aces High
Two Minutes To Midnight
Revelation
The Trooper
Wasted Years
The Number Of The Beast
Can I Play With Madness
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Powerslave
Heaven Can Wait
Run To The Hills
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden

Moonchild
The Clairvoyant
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Aww toss, that's an excellent setlist. :mad:

Interesting that they did Fear of the Dark, though, as that's from well after the specified time period. I guess it's just one of those songs the fans always expect to hear.

capncnut
25-Jan-2010, 01:19 PM
Fear Of The Dark

Interesting that they did Fear of the Dark, though, as that's from well after the specified time period. I guess it's just one of those songs the fans always expect to hear.
Well considering it was from 1992 (I think), it was the only tune pre 89. Still, my don't minds.

Mike70
25-Jan-2010, 02:56 PM
i cannot pick between the two. blaze is persona non grata to me and after this sentence, i totally refuse to acknowledge his membership in iron maiden.

i cannot even pick a fav maiden record. all of them have great tunes on them, so nailing one down and saying it's my fav is nigh onto impossible. i do have a soft spot for "number of the beast" because that was the first record i ever bought (age 12) with my own money (read that as my allowance).

i like the stuff that maiden has done since bruce rejoined too. "brave new world" and "matter of life and death" are both decent records.

Danny
25-Jan-2010, 03:08 PM
run to the hills was it for me, i can be in a car full of guys and gals with incredibly varied tastes in music, but run to the hills comes on and its like that bohemian rhapsody scene from waynes world, the dude had a set of pipes on him thats for sure.

jded
25-Jan-2010, 07:24 PM
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, it's number is Six hundred and sixty six."

"We want information, information, information."
"Who are you?"
"The new number two."
"Who is number one?"
"You are number six."
"I am not a number, I am a free man."
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH."

Bruce all the way! No doubt.
I used to try to recreate all the album cover art when I was younger. I loved all of Eddie's personifications over the years.
I tended to be engulfed by the Piece of Mind release. We would go on trips riding the Greyhound and I'd made sure I locked myself in my room prior where there was silence, so I could dub the album to cassette allowing me to enjoy it through the long hours on the bus ride.

triste realtà
26-Jan-2010, 04:00 AM
Although the first tape I heard was Live After Death and thought 'WTF is this' about the first two, I have since become a Di'Anno fan and worship the first two albums. It is about it being more punk I think also. And I discovered 3 extra songs this summer from the same recording session it seems: Women in Uniform, Invasion and Burning Ambition recorded after the first LP and released on singles. I already knew about them but had only heard Women. I think Doug Hall and the band produced them.

capncnut
26-Jan-2010, 05:23 AM
Women in Uniform, Invasion and Burning Ambition recorded after the first LP and released on singles. I already knew about them but had only heard Women. I think Doug Hall and the band produced them.
There are a few more also. One being the original 1980 version of Ive Got The Fire. Love Burning Ambition, btw. Wasn't it the b-side to Running Free.

triste realtà
26-Jan-2010, 06:03 AM
I just checked and Burning Ambition was the RF b-side but was recorded in 1979. I thought the production and drums sounded different than the other two. I'm not sure about I got the fire though cause all I saw that was released was a live recording b-side. I should have checked the discography before burning my CD but I have to burn an odds and ends plus Maiden Japan CD yet so I'll put this stuff on that.

I hate Bruce's attempts to sing that stuff except for what's on Live After Death.

krakenslayer
26-Jan-2010, 10:35 AM
I just checked and Burning Ambition was the RF b-side but was recorded in 1979. I thought the production and drums sounded different than the other two. I'm not sure about I got the fire though cause all I saw that was released was a live recording b-side. I should have checked the discography before burning my CD but I have to burn an odds and ends plus Maiden Japan CD yet so I'll put this stuff on that.

I hate Bruce's attempts to sing that stuff except for what's on Live After Death.

I dunno, he does a pretty brutal attempt at Wrathchild and he sings Iron Maiden in a way that is completely his own (probably because he's now been singing it at the end of every show for decades longer than DiAnno ever did).

DubiousComforts
26-Jan-2010, 12:57 PM
Phantom was a rite of passage for young guitarists in the early 80s, but the quintessential Maiden is Dickinson-Harris-Murray-Smith-McBrain.

krakenslayer
26-Jan-2010, 01:10 PM
As a side note, see how Blaze loses his rag with someone in the audience at the end of Man on the Edge? Well, the story continues at the end of this one:

Ok6R57INraU

On the other hard, he actually nails this one:

gQ5jaZGKZbM

DubiousComforts
26-Jan-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, the story continues at the end of this one:
Wow, that guy's vocals suck ass. It's The Trooper for crying out loud--not the most difficult of Maiden songs to sing. Is he pissed off because he can't sing?

capncnut
26-Jan-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow, that guy's vocals suck ass. It's The Trooper for crying out loud--not the most difficult of Maiden songs to sing. Is he pissed off because he can't sing?
Nah, someone rightfully spat on him and shouted "fuck off". :lol:

krakenslayer
26-Jan-2010, 09:44 PM

Aye. Funnily enough, the same thing has happened with Bruce on various occasions, although he's a lot more eloquent and entertaining when pissed off. Have a listen, these are almost as entertaining as the songs:

u23zzyggOzQ

mAqYajdcdsI

Mike70
26-Jan-2010, 10:15 PM

i have pelted that fucker with ice (along with quite a few other people) when he was in wolfsbane. let's just say their set didn't go over very well and he started talking shit to the crowd. not a wise move and he ended up getting showered in ice and assorted other things from the crowd.

the guy is a massive fucking asshole.

triste realtà
26-Jan-2010, 10:24 PM
I want to add that I agree with K-Slay that the X factor is pretty good. After hearing Virtual XI awhile before and finally checking it out I wasn't expecting much but was a little suprised at the quality of some of the songs. It is very long though and over 80 minutes if you include the three tracks they left off the CD: Justice of the Peace, I live my way and Judgement Day which some think are better than some songs on the album.

capncnut
30-Jan-2010, 04:42 PM
This vid says it all.

Xh1F-RJtuU4
1:55 mark. Pure emotion, kneegrows.

krakenslayer
30-Jan-2010, 05:05 PM
This vid says it all.

Xh1F-RJtuU4
1:55 mark. Pure emotion, kneegrows.

Awesome. They ain't played that one live since about 1980! That might have been the last time, in fact!

capncnut
30-Jan-2010, 06:56 PM
A Dave Murray penned ditty, the only one he wrote solely, I might add.

capncnut
31-Jan-2010, 01:53 PM
Awesome. They ain't played that one live since about 1980! That might have been the last time, in fact!
Are we quite sure about that? Here it is from 2005.

THjDgK-5A_g&feature=related
:stunned:

krakenslayer
31-Jan-2010, 06:26 PM
Are we quite sure about that? Here it is from 2005.

:stunned:

Ahh, well, I'm just out of date. My "knowledge" of Iron Maiden never playing this live since 1980 was probably based on pre-2005 information :D

I'm guessing it didn't last very long on the tour's playlist though. The Ullevi gig which is on YouTube (in broadcast quality, I might add) doesn't have it.

I'ts interesting to see Bruce singing it. That's something I've never heard before.

By the way, did you know Doogie White from Yngwie Malmsteen's band auditioned for Maiden? He almost got the job too, but Blaze got it instead. I found a version of Hallowed Be Thy Name from a cover album that White sings on, it's worth a listen, if only to hear what might have been:

G_TCOmeJxyM

capncnut
31-Jan-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm guessing it didn't last very long on the tour's playlist though. The Ullevi gig which is on YouTube (in broadcast quality, I might add) doesn't have it.

I'ts interesting to see Bruce singing it. That's something I've never heard before.
I think Maiden only played the song three or four times on that tour before reinstating Wrathchild into the setlist. Also, dunno if you know, they re-recorded Charlotte in the studio for the b-side to The Evil That Men Do in '88. You can find It on YouTube.