View Full Version : The new Universal Soldier is... good!?!??

krakenslayer
25-Jan-2010, 05:19 PM
JCVD and Lundgren are both back and, unlike the previous DTV shitstorms, it's supposed to be an actually respectabe "good movie". Better than the original, according to most of the reviews I've read!:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43749

Well spank my ass and call me Hector; but I'd never have expected that from a UniSol sequel. :eek:

AcesandEights
25-Jan-2010, 05:21 PM
I was actually happy to see they came up with this idea (a pretty elementary & cheese-worthy one, but it screamed to be done) and followed it through to completion.

Now it may actually be fun(nish) to watch.

krakenslayer
25-Jan-2010, 05:29 PM
gE_ymsdRz40

Not a trailer but a six minute promo reel. Certainly looks worth watching!

Tricky
25-Jan-2010, 06:09 PM
Man, I think more people died in that 6 minute clip than in all my teenage years spent playing "Doom" :eek:
Looks pretty cool though, aside from the accurate shooting from the hip of large calibre weapons that most actioners seem to do :lol:

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2010, 10:28 AM
There's no way that'll beat Universal Soldier. No way - US1 is a modern action classic.

HOWEVER - that clip does actually make this new movie look not bad, in fact it looks kinda cool. I will watch this movie at some point, and I was also further interested by it being set in and around Chernobyl.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jan-2010, 11:27 AM
Very cheap to film in and around Chernobyl.... I wonder why :dead:

krakenslayer
26-Jan-2010, 12:08 PM
Very cheap to film in and around Chernobyl.... I wonder why :dead:

:lol: True. It was actually filmed in Bulgaria, though.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jan-2010, 12:14 PM
ROTLD 4 & 5 shot at the Chernobyl site.... right at the power plant itself.

I always saud if I could get $3-$4 million together I would petition the government to film at Chernobyl... just to make a zombie film.

I have watched online tours of that area and it is fucking creepy

krakenslayer
26-Jan-2010, 12:18 PM
ROTLD 4 & 5 shot at the Chernobyl site.... right at the power plant itself.

I always saud if I could get $3-$4 million together I would petition the government to film at Chernobyl... just to make a zombie film.

I have watched online tours of that area and it is fucking creepy

Yeah, I've seen footage of the site and it is very weird. I love urban exploration, I love finding abandoned places like underground train-stations and desolated churches... Chernobyl is basically the Holy Grail of UrbEx.

Man, if you could shoot at Chernobyl you could do the ultimate post-apoc film for next to nothing. Twenty years after the outbreak, everything crumbling and decaying as it lay.... and you wouldn't have to spend a penny on sets or art direction :D

I reckon if Don Coscarelli could get permission to shoot there for Phantasm V, it would be incredible.

Tricky
26-Jan-2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I've seen footage of the site and it is very weird. I love urban exploration, I love finding abandoned places like underground train-stations and desolated churches... Chernobyl is basically the Holy Grail of UrbEx.

Man, if you could shoot at Chernobyl you could do the ultimate post-apoc film for next to nothing. Twenty years after the outbreak, everything crumbling and decaying as it lay.... and you wouldn't have to spend a penny on sets or art direction :D

I reckon if Don Coscarelli could get permission to shoot there for Phantasm V, it would be incredible.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/cherlinks.html

Just for you! Dont know if you've already seen it but that lady seems to have dedicated a lot of time to travelling all over the entire exclusion zone with all the forgotton towns,villages etc & or course pripyat, and photographing it all, fascinating!

krakenslayer
26-Jan-2010, 05:00 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/cherlinks.html

Just for you! Dont know if you've already seen it but that lady seems to have dedicated a lot of time to travelling all over the entire exclusion zone with all the forgotton towns,villages etc & or course pripyat, and photographing it all, fascinating!

I've not seen that specific site, looks like there are some amazing pics on there though. I'll have a good swatch later. Thanks man!

AcesandEights
26-Jan-2010, 05:38 PM
There's no way that'll beat Universal Soldier. No way - US1 is a modern action classic.

No it's not. But it is, however, a modern cheese-cinema classic of the early 90s. Perhaps as beautiful in it's cheesiness as it can be painful to try and watch.

Tricky
26-Jan-2010, 06:00 PM
Lundgrens lines in the first one are classic "ITS EMPTAAAAAAY!" :lol:
I loved the beginning of it, both the 'nam scene & the terrorist takedown on the dam, but after that it was just standard action cheese

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

I've not seen that specific site, looks like there are some amazing pics on there though. I'll have a good swatch later. Thanks man!

Ive spent hours browsing that site, Elena is quite poetic with her descriptions of each photo too, a lot of what she says really makes you think about it rather than just seeing it as a pic of a dead landscape or house,its quite sad but fascinating

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2010, 06:21 PM
No way. Universal Soldier is a fucking action movie classic. :cool:

Great action, kick ass characters, and it's still awesome today. I had seen it many times in my formative years, then hadn't seen it in a very long time, but I got the DVD last summer (arrived on the day I got back from my hernia operation actually - along with Mountain of the Cannibal God, but anyway...) - all the memories came flooding back, and the movie still felt fresh, but at the same time I remembered it all fondly.

This new one won't beat it, but perhaps it'll beat (the real) UniSol2.

AcesandEights
26-Jan-2010, 06:45 PM
No way. Universal Soldier is a fucking action movie classic. :cool:

I say no way, to your no way, sir!

Universal Soldier is an action/(light) sci fi movie from the early 90s that has to contend with the likes of T2, Aliens & Predator. Hell, if you want to go with a similar storyline of salvaged personnel used for gun toting action, let's put it up against Robocop, where it actually fares better than the previous three films but still falls woefully short.

I think UniSol is right in line with the likes of...let's say...Eve of Destruction, I Come in Peace and Johny Mnemonic (last two also including Lundgren).

I know it's from your childhood and I know the film did better outside of the U.S. and I'll also grant you that the word classic has little meaning in a medium so dominated by childhood nostalgia, but if you want to call it classic, all you can really do is call it a classic example of what it is: mediocre filmmaking, laughable acting and great, cheesy lines.

Of course, YMMV.

MinionZombie
27-Jan-2010, 10:29 AM
Johnny effing Mneomonic?! UniSol is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than that turd festival.

I would include UniSol in with the likes of the movies from the time, T2, Robocop, Predator 1 & 2, all that lot - they're all examples of a type of movie from that particular time - while some are better than others, they're all still greats.

EvilNed
27-Jan-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey, out of those you listed, Aces, I think RoboCops my favourite. I liked T2 when I was younger but these days I just can't get over how bad and awful Edward Furlong is in it.

"Okay, time out, time out! Stop the bike!"

EvilNed
10-Feb-2010, 08:00 PM
Just watched this film. I really, really dug it. It had a great story, great action and it looked great. It feels kinda depressing really, but I wouldn't say that it's that philosophical as some have claimed it to be. It's just a really great modern actionfilm. No puns, few jokes, and deadly serious. It's not something you watch "for fun", like the original Universal Soldier. It's something you watch to see a good movie.

SRP76
18-Apr-2010, 06:18 PM
Bump.

I just finally saw this movie. It was enjoyable. Certainly no worse than all the utter bullshit out there parading around as "movies".

The only thing I was disappointed in was the lack of Dolph interacting with the "new" guy. I was figuring on a three-way brawl, but it didn't happen.