PDA

View Full Version : Dawn 04 and LAND actually have a lot in common

DjfunkmasterG
31-May-2006, 09:47 PM
They shared Cinematographers as well as other things.

Miroslaw Baszak was the second unit DP for the 2004 version of DAWN of the DEAD. Which explains the look LAND has. I never understood why George shot 2.35:1 when I saw this I was like that explains a lot of things. Reason for the blue tint, Close soft focus shots, and the extreme wideshots with soft focus.

He is Miroslaws IMDB resume

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0060631/

Tri0xin
31-May-2006, 11:43 PM
They shared Cinematographers as well as other things.

Miroslaw Baszak was the second unit DP for the 2004 version of DAWN of the DEAD. Which explains the look LAND has. I never understood why George shot 2.35:1 when I saw this I was like that explains a lot of things. Reason for the blue tint, Close soft focus shots, and the extreme wideshots with soft focus.

He is Miroslaws IMDB resume

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0060631/

DJ, I know you're the real deal. You even talk technical terms. A natural born director, you are! :)

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jun-2006, 12:03 AM
My DP gave me my film edumacation. Thank HPotD member LD-50 and the book Placing Shadows.

AcesandEights
01-Jun-2006, 12:43 AM
They sure do have a lot in common: they're both fun movies, as far as I'm concerned.

Deadman_Deluxe
01-Jun-2006, 01:03 AM
I lyk the one with blood on it's arm and one shoe :lol:

EvilNed
01-Jun-2006, 02:05 PM
I think GAR mentions the blue tint in the documentary. I can't remember if it was his choice or the DP's choice, but I bet someone could check it out. (altough Dawn 04 wasn't tainted blue, was it?)

Griff
01-Jun-2006, 03:23 PM
Interesting. Toronto must be a smaller town than I thought.

However, I doubt the 2nd Unit DP would have much say in the look and feel of a movie. He'd be more inclinded to emulate whatever scheme the director and the 1st Unit DP came up with. Of course there'd be some influence, but it should be minimal.

You could argue, on the otherhand, that the 2nd Unit DP liked what the 1st Unit DP did on DAWN04 so much that he applied it to LAND.

Then again, those shooting styles could be generic or just coincidence.

But interesting, none the less.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jun-2006, 03:26 PM
Here is another bubble burster. I was looking to see if the remake for ROTLD was listed yet on IMDB and when I clicked on the company link for ROTLD 5 one of the companies listed is Aurora Entertainment. Actually Aurora is responsible for the fiasco's we call ROTLD 4 & 5. Aurora was also one of the production companies involved with LOTD. When you click on Aurora, LAND is listed as one of the companies main productions.

go figure.

I think GAR mentions the blue tint in the documentary. I can't remember if it was his choice or the DP's choice, but I bet someone could check it out. (altough Dawn 04 wasn't tainted blue, was it?)

Most of the early DAWN shots during the escape had a slight blu-ish tint.

axlish
01-Jun-2006, 04:00 PM
Boyd Banks was in both. He played the Butcher Zombie in Land and in Daw 04 he played the guy that gets dragged in the sewer lines by CJ.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jun-2006, 04:43 PM
I enoyed his character in both films. in Dawn 04 he was great as Farmer/trucker/hillbilly Tucker. He had some great lines and his comedic timing was excellent.

As the Butcher in LOTD I like his stiff cross stepped shamble. I think he did a great job in both films.

bassman
01-Jun-2006, 04:45 PM
I enoyed his character in both films. in Dawn 04 he was great as Farmer/trucker/hillbilly Tucker. He had some great lines and his comedic timing was excellent.

As the Butcher in LOTD I like his stiff cross stepped shamble. I think he did a great job in both films.

GASP....Dj saying something positive about "Land"??? It can't be! ...\
:p

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jun-2006, 05:32 PM
GASP....Dj saying something positive about "Land"??? It can't be! ...\
:p

STOP THE PRESSES! :D :p

I always liked #9 zombie. So I was always positive about LOTD in that perspective. :D

Maitreya
08-Jun-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm curious as to why they chose to move away from the fast running zombies and move to the slow shambling ones again.

Did they feel the need to put a handicap on them because of their intelligence?

I'd imagine it would be over the top to have fast, INTELLIGENT zombies, but something about the entire world being overrun by them screams over the top.

Just curious.

bassman
08-Jun-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm curious as to why they chose to move away from the fast running zombies and move to the slow shambling ones again.

I'd imagine it would be over the top to have fast, INTELLIGENT zombies, but something about the entire world being overrun by them screams over the top.

Just curious.

OH MY GOD....

Dude, let's get this clear....."Dawn of the Dead"(2004) and "Land of the Dead"(2005) are not connected in any way.

DjfunkmasterG
08-Jun-2006, 07:18 PM
Like Bassman311 says...

Dawn of the dead 2004 was somewhat of a remake of the 1978 film. The 1978 film had slow zombies and is a somewhat sequel to 1968's Night of the Living dead.

Land of the Dead, although released one year after DAWN 2004 is not connected to the film in any way. the man who directed LAND of the DEAD is the man who started the flesh eating zombie genre. George A. Romero is the godfather of the modern zombie and when a remake of his original DAWN of the DEAD was made they changed a lot of the mytho's surrounding the films. The makers of the 2004 version of DAWN didn't want to remake the original film so they changes a lot of the plot points involving zombies.

Land of the dead was stuck in development hell since the late 90's and because the remake of DAWN did so well LAND of the DEAD was greenlit. the problem is everyone thinks LAND of the DEAD is a sequel to the 2004 version of DAWN of the DEAD and it is not. Land is only a sequel too..

night of the Living dead (1968)
DAWN of the DEAD (1978)
Day of the Dead (1985)

Nothing was really changed. George romero kept his zombies slow and ugly. his only change is they are becoming smarter, but it was a very poor choice to make because it has been 20 years since his last zombie film.

in order to understand how land of the dead fits with the 3 above listed films you need to rent and watch those film then you will understand this a lot better.

however, word of advice don't ever connect DAWN 04 and LAND of the DEAD as original and sequel... It will get you yelled at in here. Everyone was afraid this would happen and now it is coming true.:D

Maitreya
08-Jun-2006, 10:57 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up

DjfunkmasterG
09-Jun-2006, 12:28 AM
no prob, and BTW... WELCOME to HPOTD :D

Philly_SWAT
09-Jun-2006, 04:24 AM

Just curious.Even though two other people have already weighed in, I feel obliged to say that you have a lot to learn about GAR films. But that is not a bad thing, its a good thing. You are at the beginning of what could be the greatest journey of your life. Welcome aboard! And dont forget, Dawn 04 is not part of the GAR universe.

DeadCentral
09-Jun-2006, 09:29 AM
Even though two other people have already weighed in, I feel obliged to say that you have a lot to learn about GAR films. But that is not a bad thing, its a good thing. You are at the beginning of what could be the greatest journey of your life. Welcome aboard! And dont forget, Dawn 04 is not part of the GAR universe.

Yes welcome .. and remember lesson 1 in the world of GAR...

Dawn 04 is not part of the GAR universe.

now go rent the films DJ mentioned, watch them back to back in one day and prep yourself for your first quiz.....:D