PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead remake

ZombieMovies
27-Jan-2010, 02:42 PM
I went to the movies to see this one on the 1st day it came out. As I did with Land and Diary.. My initial thoughts were disappointment. However, I just saw it again a couple of weeks ago and I think it was a really good movie. Like most of you I have been a fan of the traditional non-athlete zombie. However, I think this movie made it work and it was a really good effort.

I have yet to see Land and Diary a 2nd time. I was disappointed with Land but I walked away happy after seeing Diary..

Also, I just saw that Day of the Dead "remake" the other day and that has got to be possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.. The potential for a good movie was there but they screwed that one up big time! What an embarrassment..

Finally, has anyone seen that zombie movie Ken Foree stars in? I believe it is European.. Is it any good? I gotta get my hands on that..

Mike70
27-Jan-2010, 03:15 PM
Finally, has anyone seen that zombie movie Ken Foree stars in? I believe it is European.. Is it any good? I gotta get my hands on that..

are you talking about "zone of the dead" aka "apocalypse of the dead"? i have not seen that but from what i hear, it's a piece of crap.

other than that, i simply refuse to discuss yawn 04 or get into a debate on land/diary. there are several threads on those topics already. have a look at them and add your thoughts there.

bozak
27-Jan-2010, 03:16 PM
Dawn'04 is a great movie. Have you seen Andy's video diary? It should be on a dvd with director's cut.

Mike70
27-Jan-2010, 03:22 PM
Dawn'04 is a great movie. Have you seen Andy's video diary? It should be on a dvd with director's cut.

aw shit, here we go. bozak has thrown down the gauntlet.

*mike backs slowly out of the room*

krakenslayer
27-Jan-2010, 03:25 PM
aw shit, here we go. bozak has thrown down the gauntlet.

*mike backs slowly out of the room*

Yes.

This is my image of the day:

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/d/d0/I_like_where_this_thread_is_going.jpg

I know I'm gonna piss everyone off with this :lol:

bozak
27-Jan-2010, 03:29 PM
.(....\............../....)
. \....\........... /..../
...\....\........../..../
....\..../??.I.?`\./
..../... I....I..(???`\
...I.....I....I...??.\...\
...I.....I??.I??.I..\...)
...\.....` ?..? ?.......'
....\___________.•?
.....1-_-_-_-_-_-_l
.....l-_-_-_-_-_-_-|

Mike70
27-Jan-2010, 03:31 PM
.(....\............../....)
. \....\........... /..../
...\....\........../..../
....\..../??.I.?`\./
..../... I....I..(???`\
...I.....I....I...??.\...\
...I.....I??.I??.I..\...)
...\.....` ?..? ?.......'
....\___________.•?
.....1-_-_-_-_-_-_l
.....l-_-_-_-_-_-_-|

*pops head back into thread for a look*

hey, where did you get that image of my brain patterns after the last yawn 04 debate? :D

krakenslayer
27-Jan-2010, 03:38 PM
*pops head back into thread for a look*

hey, where did you get that image of my brain patterns after the last yawn 04 debate? :D

Hahaha! :lol:

Bozak, we're just joking around, because every time someone mentions Dawn of the Dead 2004 it starts a massive debate between Dawn remake lovers, Dawn remake haters, fast zombie lovers, fast zombie haters, etc. :D

bozak
27-Jan-2010, 03:40 PM
hey, where did you get that image of my brain patterns after the last yawn 04 debate?
Actually I thought it was a bunny head if looking at it from the back. :)

Hahaha!

Bozak, we're just joking around, because every time someone mentions Dawn of the Dead 2004 it starts a massive debate between Dawn remake lovers, Dawn remake haters, fast zombie lovers, fast zombie haters, etc.

Yeah i see, nothing will change it ;)

Mike70
27-Jan-2010, 03:42 PM
Bozak, we're just joking around, because every time someone mentions Dawn of the Dead 2004 it starts a massive debate between Dawn remake lovers, Dawn remake haters, fast zombie lovers, fast zombie haters, etc. :D

indeed. bozak, i'm most certainly joking. if that wasn't clear from the tone of my earlier posts, then i'll make it so now.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Actually I thought it was a bunny head if looking at it from the back. :)

well, some around here would say that a bunny head is about all the thought i'm capable of.

bassman
27-Jan-2010, 03:43 PM
Dawn 04 is da gr8test zombie film eva. Day 08 is da 2nd greatest. Bud is the best zombie. He's a vegetarian. GENIEOUS!

Romero'z Dawn and Day R all old n shit. No good. Have you seen da hairdo's in those moovies? LOL!1!

Mike70
27-Jan-2010, 03:45 PM
Dawn 04 is da gr8test zombie film eva. Day 08 is da 2nd greatest. Bud is the best zombie. He's a vegetarian. GENIEOUS!

Romero'z Dawn and Day R all old n shit. No good. Have you seen da hairdo's in those moovies? LOL!1!

i know this is sarcasm but i still must ask: have you been draining the gas out of your lawnmower and huffing the fumes in an enclosed space again?

bozak
27-Jan-2010, 03:46 PM
Guys, its pretty obvious joking, so dont bother explaining :)
ZombieMovies seems to be a newbie on the forums as i am :D But anyways i can imagine what kind of holywars happened on yawn 04 ;)

darth los
27-Jan-2010, 04:11 PM
Dawn 04' rocks while LOTD sucks. (Not Joking)

Nuff said.

:cool:

bassman
27-Jan-2010, 04:12 PM
i know this is sarcasm but i still must ask: have you been draining the gas out of your lawnmower and huffing the fumes in an enclosed space again?

Naw dawg. Im passed dat shit. Rubber cement and gold spray paint all da way.

Seriously....Dawn04 is an okay action film. Horror film or remake of romero's, it is not. Day 08 is horrible crap, but it's such crap that I find it funny. Land deserves it's place with the original films. And Diary was a fun little side project.

AcesandEights
27-Jan-2010, 04:21 PM
i can imagine what kind of holywars happened on yawn 04 ;)

There was definitely nerd rage aplenty!

darth los
27-Jan-2010, 04:37 PM
Seriously....Dawn04 is an okay action film. Horror film or remake of romero's, it is not. Day 08 is horrible crap, but it's such crap that I find it funny. Land deserves it's place with the original films. And Diary was a fun little side project.

And that's all I'm saying Dawn haters wanna make it seem like it's the worst zombie movie ever made when we all know that's not true. We're zombie buffs. We've seen the other movies and imo dawn 04' s better than 80% of them.

To say otherwise is an ingenuous argument and the person making it loses credibility trying to make it.

With that said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But to state it as fact is laughable.

bassman
27-Jan-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey, I've been saying that Dawn04 was an okay action film for a long time! Okay, so maybe I was guilty of bashing it when it was first released, but I was just so offended that they tried to pass it off as a Dawn remake that I couldn't see it for what it really was.

It's still not a good film - just tolerable. It's a lot like Snyder's 300, actually. Cool visuals and action, but misses out on the other areas.

ZombieMovies
27-Jan-2010, 04:59 PM
Guys, its pretty obvious joking, so dont bother explaining :)
ZombieMovies seems to be a newbie on the forums as i am :D But anyways i can imagine what kind of holywars happened on yawn 04 ;)

Yes, Im a newb to the boards... Although my first visit to HOTD had to be about 10-12 years ago and I used to visit very often... They didn't have a forum back then.. Ive visited HOTD only a handful of times the last 5 or so years but I think the addition of the forum was an excellent update to the site and will keep me coming back..

Thanks for the responses.. And Mike thanks for the info on Zone of the dead The fnew Ken Foree zombie movie.. But has anyone here seen it and would like to tell about it?

MinionZombie
27-Jan-2010, 05:07 PM
One of my biggest problems with Yawn04, as it's just sprung to mind, is that it is a hollow movie. It feels like a hollowed out carcass that someone's farted into.

Even a shit zombie flick like Zombie Nosh (aka Flesh Eater) at least has some soul about it. It may be fucking crap as a movie (technically "so bad it's kinda good"), but there is a bizarre soul about it ... maybe a soul that's kind of slow, and kind of akin to The Annoying Orange ... but a soul nonetheless.

Same with Euro-Zombi flicks like Zombie Lake, or even the rubbish Oasis of the Zombies, or Zombi 3 - they may be retarded, but there's a soul to them, and some of them are quite charming too.

Yawn04 though ... ... like I said ... hollow farty carcass.

:lol:

darth los
27-Jan-2010, 05:39 PM
One of my biggest problems with Yawn04, as it's just sprung to mind, is that it is a hollow movie. It feels like a hollowed out carcass that someone's farted into.

Even a shit zombie flick like Zombie Nosh (aka Flesh Eater) at least has some soul about it. It may be fucking crap as a movie (technically "so bad it's kinda good"), but there is a bizarre soul about it ... maybe a soul that's kind of slow, and kind of akin to The Annoying Orange ... but a soul nonetheless.

Same with Euro-Zombi flicks like Zombie Lake, or even the rubbish Oasis of the Zombies, or Zombi 3 - they may be retarded, but there's a soul to them, and some of them are quite charming too.

I have to admit dude, I don't agree with anything you said but damn that was funny.

And hey, i happen to like zombie lake, ty very much. :p

triste realtà
27-Jan-2010, 10:14 PM

That's an excellent point and from my perspective this can be said about EVERY FUCKING MOVIE MADE SINCE THE MID NINETIES.:mad:

But on the subject of the jokey eurozombie films, something can be said about the quality of the music affecting how the visuals are perceived. For example, I was just watching Burial Ground last week and some of that music is downright chilling while other parts are 2001 level psychedelic.:shifty:

SRP76
27-Jan-2010, 10:41 PM
I rank the Dawn remake at #5 in my zombie movie standings. I don't think that's too bad.

Don't know why people love the utter crap, dusty-corner-of-the-old-VHS-store, sorry excuses for zombie movies that some people have mentioned. They suck. They may be "classic" garbage because they're over 20 years old, but they're still garbage.

bassman
27-Jan-2010, 10:48 PM
They may be "classic" garbage because they're over 20 years old, but they're still garbage.

A lot of people would say the same thing about Night, Dawn, or Day. It's all opinion.

Mike70
27-Jan-2010, 11:47 PM

i'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. i think that most zombie films (with very few exceptions) are pieces of shit but these are titanic pieces of shit that i wish would hit an iceberg and sink.

yawn 04 is a soulless movie that plays like a track meet but it at least looks like the people who made it didn't need to read the instructions to figure out which way to point the camera. i don't find much charm in amateurish, poorly done movies with makeup that is outclassed by your average 10 year old's halloween party. i usually avoid the term "low budget" in any genre of movie but especially so in the case of horror because it is almost always a synonym for garbage. i expect a certain amount of professionalism to go into the things i enjoy. i feel strongly that if you can't do it and make it look professional, don't do it at all.

deadpunk
28-Jan-2010, 03:31 AM
I don't mind Dawn '04. I found that I enjoyed it more after I stopped comparing it Romero's works.

And my problem was never the fast zombies vs. shamblers thing. I'm a huge champion of the shambler, but fast zombies never automatically turn me off. (I thought Dead Snow was fucking awesome :))

My problem with Dawn 04 was the setting. The mall in the Romero Dawn is practically a character itself. The mall in 04 is so... impersonal.

Also, the script is pretty thin. If Snyder had set the movie in a skyscraper, instead of the mall, he could have changed it to Undie Hard by taking a sharpie to the original script and simply replacing the word MALL with Nakatomi Tower.

But, there are some decent aspects to it to. The scene where Andy is picking off celebrity look-alikes is hysterical. Also, it had a few decent actors in it. I'm a big fan of Ving Rhames and I thought Jake Weber was fantastic on Medium.

Like I said, once I moved past the title, I came to accept it as a better than average zombie movie. It's never going to be an epic masterpiece, but it's not unenjoyable.

bozak
28-Jan-2010, 06:06 AM
As up to me, dawn04 was the first movie i saw fast zombies in. As a movie it surely is not a masterpiece, but it had a new feel to it with fast action. I think its way more difficult to survive in a world of fast zombies and this brings more adrenalin.
Just imagine if Romero made his early movies with fast zombies, and Snyder made his with slow, what would you say?
A question about liking or disliking is about peronal opinion and open-mindness, so the arguing is useless.