PDA

View Full Version : Apple unveils $499 tablet, $629 with AT&T data

darth los
27-Jan-2010, 07:38 PM
Nuff said.

I'm not as excited for this one particular product as much as where the tech might be headed.

Any thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100127/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_apple

:cool:

bassman
27-Jan-2010, 07:58 PM
So hang on.......is this monstrosity a phone???:confused:

"More capable than a smart phone and more intimate than a lap top"?

Maybe it's because i'm a bit old fashioned or maybe I just don't get it....but i'll stick with my normal phone and normal laptop.

BillyRay
27-Jan-2010, 08:17 PM
So hang on.......is this monstrosity a phone???:confused:

It does have that "Novelty-sized iPhone" quality, dunnit?

Like one of those giant tv remotes they make for the elderly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00677/Steve-Jobs_677915a.jpg

(Actually, I think all they did was just shrink Steve Jobs...)

Danny
27-Jan-2010, 08:19 PM
aesthetically i love it, yet another thing from sci-fi becoming the next step in technology.

but.

this is not for me.

My first reaction was "oh rad, all those ties growing up where they said we would have these slates to act as media devices from star trek to even the incredibles is gonna happen".

Then i took a step back and thought "well, whenever im out ive got a messenger bag on my side with a macbook and an iphone in it. what can i not do already?"

So naturally i push this off as useless, but then i have a think about it and this is that rare thing, an apple device not aimed at the early twenties creative types.

If i had to say who this is aimed at i would say older generations, like 50+. my grandad saw this and flipped his wig. because he aint gonna use a computer, an iphone is too small for him. but a tablet pda he can use to access the net, read stuff on, exchange email and stuff on the fly? thats the kind of shit he wants. he loves the ds i got him, but wont touch a console. why? its mobile and accessible.

The ipad looks nice but this is gonna be something for people who dont own laptops and stuff, seriously, would you rather give your parent or grandparent whos never touched a computer a laptop or an ipad?

AcesandEights
27-Jan-2010, 08:35 PM
That's a really good point, Hellsing.

capncnut
28-Jan-2010, 05:07 AM
I'm considering it presently.

EvilNed
28-Jan-2010, 06:45 AM
This thing is so retarded.

Tricky
28-Jan-2010, 09:08 AM
A lot of people are raving that it will be great for reading books on & so forth, but personally I spend enough time staring at backlit screens already, I'd rather read a hard paper book which lets my poor stinging blurred eyes rest a bit! Impressive technology but I'm definitely not arsed about buying one!

bassman
28-Jan-2010, 07:19 PM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2010/1/28/634002542198610410-ipad.jpg

Danny
28-Jan-2010, 07:31 PM
FAIL. TOO LOWBROW

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/500x_ipadpicfancy12710.jpg

Fix'd

darth los
28-Jan-2010, 07:39 PM
The only thing that would give me pause about buying one is that you just know apple will stay true to form and release an upgraded version in a few months that will give you more bang for the buck and have the bugs worked out.

I'm not a big fan of buying prototypes. (says the man who bought a launch model 360 :shifty:)

bassman
28-Jan-2010, 07:55 PM
FAIL. TOO LOWBROW

Sorry it's not good enough for you cool kids with the internet slang.:p I thought it was funny.

krakenslayer
28-Jan-2010, 07:56 PM
I like Bassman's better :P

The fanny pad was funny too though :lol:

darth los
28-Jan-2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry it's not good enough for you cool kids with the internet slang.:p I thought it was funny.

That's because we're old enough to actually remember etch-a-sketches.

I laughed dude. See? :lol:

MikePizzoff
28-Jan-2010, 10:14 PM
I think it's pretty cool. Will I buy one? No. Well, maybe in like 3 or so years. Would I love to play with one? Yes. A friend of mine is picking one of these up at launch because he's a big comic book nerd and supposedly the entire DC/Marvel catalog is available for download and comics will look amazing on this thing. Wow, run-on sentence. Wow, that run-on sentence was followed by a fragment sentence.

shootemindehead
02-Feb-2010, 06:51 PM
God...I hate Apple.

darth los
02-Feb-2010, 07:18 PM
I think it's pretty cool. Will I buy one? No. Well, maybe in like 3 or so years. Would I love to play with one? Yes. A friend of mine is picking one of these up at launch because he's a big comic book nerd and supposedly the entire DC/Marvel catalog is available for download and comics will look amazing on this thing. Wow, run-on sentence. Wow, that run-on sentence was followed by a fragment sentence.

I agree. I t makes no sense picking one up now. In two, three years it will be a much more reliable, superior product and I'll bet you dollars to donuts it'll be much cheaperwhile including many more bells and whistles, ala the i pod.

Now there's a run on. :lol: