PDA

View Full Version : Spartacus: Blood and Sand

slickwilly13
30-Jan-2010, 03:20 PM
It has been on for a week now. Has anyone watched it besides, me? It is like 300, but the Evil Dead guys are involved.

Neil
03-Feb-2010, 08:27 AM
The reviews haven't been good!

We'd got a Ben Hur remake to "look forward to" soon as well!

clanglee
03-Feb-2010, 08:42 AM
I find it to be a complete 300 ripoff, but. . .it's not terrible for that. At least you get to see Zena's titties!

AcesandEights
03-Feb-2010, 01:49 PM
I find it to be a complete 300 ripoff, but. . .it's not terrible for that.
Oh...:(

At least you get to see Zena's titties!
Oh?! :)

I have this queued on Netflix but I didn't think it looked too promising, so I'm in no rush.

bassman
03-Feb-2010, 01:53 PM
At least you get to see Zena's titties!

:lol:

I saw a video of that not too long ago. Some woman is diddling Xena's hoo-ha, then she gets up and fucks that weaselly guy from The Mummy.:rockbrow: Didn't know what it was from, though.

This doesn't look all that appealing to me...

slickwilly13
03-Feb-2010, 02:44 PM

I saw a video of that not too long ago. Some woman is diddling Xena's hoo-ha, then she gets up and fucks that weaselly guy from The Mummy.:rockbrow: Didn't know what it was from, though.

That scene was funny. Its on the 2nd episode. One of my friends even laughed when he came over the other night and it was on tv.

I knew I seen that guy somewhere.

I do not think the series sucks, since there have been only 2 episodes shown. But if you did not care for 300, then you most definately will not like this series. 300 heavily influenced this and people will see the similarities imediately.

*update* That was Lucy Lawless??? I did not recognize her with red hair. So, I finally saw her. *S*

DjfunkmasterG
03-Feb-2010, 09:23 PM
I haven't gotten into yet. I have watched it but I keep thinking 300, and that is a bit of a turn off.

bassman
03-Feb-2010, 09:27 PM
I haven't gotten into yet. I have watched it but I keep thinking 300, and that is a bit of a turn off.

You mean 2 hours of THIS is a turn off? No way! :p

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze342y2/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/abs2black1.jpg.w300h399.jpg

clanglee
03-Feb-2010, 09:44 PM

My dad told me when he and my mom were watching that scene (they are both getting serviced by slaves and having a conversation with each other. . . . the character's. . not my parents :barf:) My mom turned to my dad and said "You see now. . that's just the height of laziness right there" :lol:

CoinReturn
06-Feb-2010, 03:55 PM
Watched the first 2 episodes, pretty shit. I'll stick with Rome.

Mike70
09-Feb-2010, 09:45 PM
Watched the first 2 episodes, pretty shit. I'll stick with Rome.

indeed. i'm not very impressed by this show. it is like the diet coke version of "rome."

Neil
10-Feb-2010, 08:41 AM
indeed. i'm not very impressed by this show. it is like the diet coke version of "rome."

Can't wait to see what the TV version of Ben Hur is like :)

Exatreides
25-Feb-2010, 09:08 PM
I really honestly hated the first episode, the second episode wasn't that much better.

I really did love Rome though, so the non gladiator side of the show is almost more appealing then the gladiator side. I started saying "Jupiters cock" because of this show, It's the only thing that's stuck with me.

The third episode in the pits was better. The actual fighting in the pits was a mad max meets eli roth hostel sort of place. With fallen gladiators being dragged away on hooks and face's worn as masks.

Slowly, but ever so slowly the show is starting to drag itself out of shit and into the mud.

clanglee
25-Feb-2010, 09:23 PM
Slowly, but ever so slowly the show is starting to drag itself out of shit and into the mud.

Yeah. . it's starting to grow a bit on me as well.

slickwilly13
26-Feb-2010, 02:08 PM
I have been joking calling it Spartacus: Blood and Semen. The Pit was pretty cool, especially the Leatherface homeage. And it showed him removing that guy's face. There was probably some freaks out there who were like that. The fight from last week was actually quite funny. The tall champ's facial expressions during the slow-mo was classic.:lol:

clanglee
26-Feb-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm just waiting for Tony Curtis to make an appearance:

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsC/4025-17941.gif
I love you Spartacus

clanglee
01-Mar-2010, 08:46 PM
So. . this show is actually starting to pick up pretty nicely. . .last week's episode was pretty great actually. Betrayal, intrigue, and schemeing. Very little fighting, more plot advancement. I hate to admit it. . but this show ain't bad.

Exatreides
22-Apr-2010, 05:47 PM
Well, with the first season over, I thought this thread deserved a bit of a re kick.

The first couple episodes were pretty terrible I thought. Trying desperately to hard reign in the 300 crowd.

Slowly... The intrigue came in, the sneaky roman politics. How they portrayed Spartacus loosing and then finding himself once again.

What a sneaky tramp Batiotis was when it came to securing political power. Even Asher's grow to power was well done.

The final episode was really damn well executed too I thought, the final fight between Crixus and Spartacus, and the resulting slaughter.

I really sorta actually grew to like this show a lot. Past the first couple of episodes. I have to say I recommend it.

Next season is delayed due to Spartacus being taken down by a treatable form of Don Hotchkins Lympoma :(

http://theflickcast.com/2010/04/22/spartacus-blood-and-sand-season-2-in-doubt/

slickwilly13
19-Jan-2011, 09:36 PM
New season for this Friday, but its a prequel.

AcesandEights
20-Jan-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm still waiting on the LouCipher 'I've shamed myself' edition of the Blood & Sand thread, but I did hear this show got better as it went along.

LoSTBoY
20-Jan-2011, 03:30 PM
New season for this Friday, but its a prequel.

Cheers for the reminder! :thumbsup:

slickwilly13
22-Jan-2011, 08:49 PM
The first episode blew last season's first episode away. I good dose of nudity and gore, even though some was obvious cgi. Saw some lesbian action, too.

Neil
22-Jan-2011, 09:34 PM
So, should I bother watching this series?

slickwilly13
22-Jan-2011, 10:11 PM
So far, it is not bad. Some of the cgi looked fake. A guy decapitated above the lower jaw near the beginning. There are characters in this prequel who were in the first season, so I would assume their back stories will be shown. It is too early to telll if it will be better than the first season.

Neil
28-Dec-2011, 03:37 PM
Finally started watching it. Seen two episodes and so far so good.

What's peoples' opinions of series one, as regards it getting better/worse over its course? Also, season 2 compared to season 1?

slickwilly13
28-Dec-2011, 06:58 PM
I rate them both about the same. The prequel is shorter in length, but moves along in pace a lot quicker. The prequel is more about his owners and the other fighters before his arrival. Btw, the new season debuts at the end of next month.

Neil
23-Feb-2012, 03:15 PM
Nearly at the end of the first series now. Really enjoying it now. Even my other half is enjoying it too!

SymphonicX
23-Feb-2012, 03:32 PM
There's a thread I made a while back for the series "Vengeance" - but it's only a few posts long.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?19802-Jupiter-s-c**k!!-Spartacus-is-back!

depends on what you're calling Season 1 Neil - chronologically, obviously season 2 is actually the first to "occur" - I watched the series in chronological order which completely sold me on the story and the characters - if you haven't watched Gods of the Arena first, you're doing yourself a disservice!

-- -------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Should add that when we watched Gods, before we saw Blood and Sand, we realised the first 60 seconds of Gods was a recap of Blood and sand, so we fast forwarded until the actual start of the show - it gives away the end of season 1 and loads of other unnecessary spoilers....but by the time we reached the end of Blood and Sand, we had totally forgetten about any spoilers we did see.

-- -------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

finally, Viva Bianca - who plays Illythia in Blood and Sand/Vengeance is like...f*cking amazing.

Mike70
23-Feb-2012, 04:38 PM
the show is decent enough but is NOTHING compared to Rome, the show that was on a few years ago and chronicled the end of the republic.

the late republic is my period in history and the only reason that spartacus got to have his fun was because Pompey and Lucullus, Rome's best generals at the time, were off dealing with more important problems. Pompey with Sertorius in spain and Lucullus with the Pontic kingdom. if he would have had to face either of them and more importantly, their extremely experienced armies of veteran killers, i don't think he would've had his little romp through italy. The Romans sent a series of fools after him before choosing Crassus, and let's face it, Crassus proved later that he was no military genius.

Spartacus got to have his little romp then he got caught between Crassus and Pompey's newly returned army. at the same time, Lucullus' army was in the process of landing at Brundisium. Spartacus was f*cked. should've used the opportunity to escape across the Alps when he had it. the man was a f*cking fool and paid the price along with the thousands of captured gladiators who were crucified for 50 miles along the Appian Way between Rome and Capua.

he wasn't quite a dipshit on the level of Boudicca (anyone who thinks her a "hero" is a damn idiot in my view) but he comes close.

Neil
23-Feb-2012, 05:58 PM
the show is decent enough but is NOTHING compared to Rome, the show that was on a few years ago and chronicled the end of the republic.
Very different animals though don't you think?

Spartacus is a crass glossy sexy blood bath.

While Rome is a deeper drama you can sink into.

Mike70
23-Feb-2012, 06:01 PM
Very different animals though don't you think?

Spartacus is a crass glossy sexy blood bath.

While Rome is a deeper drama you can sink into.

yes, very different and the difference is why Rome was so, so much superior to Spartacus. Spartacus is like taco bell ancient history.

Neil
26-Feb-2012, 09:01 PM
yes, very different and the difference is why Rome was so, so much superior to Spartacus. Spartacus is like taco bell ancient history.

That risks being rather elitist? Spartacus doesn't pretend to be historically correct in any real sense, where as Rome made a point of it.

Personally I prefered Rome, but I wouldn't sell Spartacus short as I find it entertaining and fun!

It's sort of like having a dig at Star Wars for not being as deep as 2001. :)

slickwilly13
27-Feb-2012, 12:09 AM
Friday's night episode played homage to 300. The spear chunking scene, in which the antagonist's face is lacerated.

SymphonicX
27-Feb-2012, 11:54 AM
That risks being rather elitist? Spartacus doesn't pretend to be historically correct in any real sense, where as Rome made a point of it.

Personally I prefered Rome, but I wouldn't sell Spartacus short as I find it entertaining and fun!

I agree that comparing Rome to Spartacus is a bit redundant - just because the setting is similar, doesn't mean they belong whatsoever in the same catagory. As you said, one is a blood and guts fuelled fantasy romp, the other aims at being a dramatised version of real events. Spartacus (the show) is about adopting the overblown legend and running away with it - it's in no way a serious drama, although it still walks the floor with most serious dramas.

It's kinda like comparing The Inbetweeners with Skins (sorry MZ, that's one for you! hehehe :p) - ie: I personally don't feel they are remotely comparable as they are aiming not only for different themes, but different genres entirely. But that's just me, compare away!

Now I'll go start drawing paralells between Shaun of the Dead and I Spit on Your Grave - both are horrors, right? :0)

Neil
01-Mar-2012, 11:09 AM
One episode to go and really enjoying it now (first/original series)! Even my other half is glued to it!

I'm guessing the final episode will show them revolting/escaping, but I guess I'll find out for sure tonight :) [please don't spoil it for me folks]

Christopher Jon
01-Mar-2012, 02:16 PM
One episode to go and really enjoying it now (first/original series)! Even my other half is glued to it!
When you're finished with Blood and Sand watch Gods of the Arena before you start Vengeance. I don't think there has been a single disappointing episode.

Mike70
01-Mar-2012, 02:21 PM

yeah. now that you mention it, it is kind of elitist way to look at it. Rome was meant to be as historically accurate as possible. as you've pointed out, Spartacus has never really had any pretense to total accuracy.

slickwilly13
25-Mar-2012, 06:36 AM
Last night's episode is pretty good. One more episode and the season ends.

slickwilly13
01-Apr-2012, 10:12 PM
The season on Friday ended with a huge bang. Lots of characters bit the dust. Another season for 2013. The best new character is the Egyptian mercenary. He spoke zero lines, but his presence was bad ass. The role may launch this actor's career. If you enjoyed the other 2 seasons, then check out the 3rd season.

Christopher Jon
03-Apr-2012, 11:41 AM
The best new character is the Egyptian mercenary.

I don't want to give anything away but I was expecting something more epic for him at the end.

Neil
20-Apr-2012, 09:16 AM
Just started watching "Gods of the Arena" (the 6 episode prequel). It's gory, unnecessarily gratuitous, and great fun :)

slickwilly13
26-Jan-2013, 01:03 AM
New series starts tonight. War of the Damned

Neil
26-Jan-2013, 10:56 AM
New series starts tonight. War of the Damned

Still got to watch the last one yet :(

slickwilly13
13-Apr-2013, 02:20 AM
The series is finally over. Did anyone else watch it?

Neil
13-Apr-2013, 10:40 PM
Please don't post anything about the last series without spoiler warnings/tags! I'm still to watch it!

slickwilly13
15-Apr-2013, 01:24 PM
Please don't post anything about the last series without spoiler warnings/tags! I'm still to watch it!

Ok.

He dies at the end. Not much of a spoiler, because most of us already knew that, before the series first started years ago.

The final season was not too bad. By now, you already know what to expect with the level violence and nudity. They do not disappoint. There is a tribute during the closing credits for all the major characters in the entire series. It was nice to see that. I will not mention anymore about it to you, until you watch it. And it appears, we are they only ones who followed the series, so it will be a while, until I discuss the final season further.

Neil
15-Apr-2013, 01:34 PM
In order of preference:-
Prequel
Series 1
Series 2

What about you. ie: Where did series 3 fit for you?

slickwilly13
15-Apr-2013, 02:26 PM
I am not sure if it is better, worst, or even with the prequel and series 1, because it has been years, since I viewed them. But I would rate it better than series 2.